ADVERTISEMENT

It's HOOPS TIME! Here we go!

Fox Chapel Lion II

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2011
The Steel City
Working today but the radio is all warmed up and Diet Pepsis are at the ready. I saved up all my paperwork for this afternoon. And of course getting pumped for Villanova tonight.

Anyone who likes to place a wager or two - my stone-cold lead-pipe lock to make the Sweet Sixteen is Providence College. I saw plenty of them this year - two great players, LaDonte Hinton and co-BE POY Kris Dunn. Two NBA guys right there. Another guy playing his best when it counts the most is Number 0, Ben Bentil at power forward. He's from Delaware, Nova had a lot of interest in him.

You'll thank me later.

Looking forward to when our Lions make their return. Everybody stay calm, Pat will get us there, but God knows it ain't easy. Hang in there.

Everyone enjoy the Tournament and good luck to your teams and picks - unless you're playing against Nova, in which case - to hell with you!

My son's UD Flyers squeaked by last night....

They needed the home court and all 60 minutes to get the lead.... I give lots of credit to Boise for going in there and dominating the game... until the last minute.

But why are two 11's playing an extra game? The concept is illogical. Let the 15's and 16's play in, as they are the teams that are not part of the true best 64 teams.

Excellent game last night - UD fought back TWICE, right?

Agree with you, seems like the bottom seeds should be playing in, not 11-seeds. Or else just make it a flat 64 teams meaning fewer at-larges.

Dayton got a big break playing at home for sure. But the UD Arena is sold out for all the play-ins - the people there really love their college basketball. Dayton, X and UC are almost always competitive at the least.

Proud parent of a UD alum and two XU alums ....

Note that all 3 teams made the tournament.

I'm too busy playing the new NCAA March Sadness game!

Originally posted by PSUriseANDfire:

Let the madness begin.
Coach simulation mode is best.

e4somjpbifiy3hrstas2.gif

Dayton went to the final game against UCLA in '67, with Don May.

Originally posted by CappyToCJF:
They needed the home court and all 60 minutes to get the lead.... I give lots of credit to Boise for going in there and dominating the game... until the last minute.

But why are two 11's playing an extra game? The concept is illogical. Let the 15's and 16's play in, as they are the teams that are not part of the true best 64 teams.
A great history the Flyers have. Gotta support the Catholic schools (my dad and his brothers: Georgetown, Holy Cross, Fordham).

This post was edited on 3/19 12:58 PM by LionJim

Re: Excellent game last night - UD fought back TWICE, right?

I fell asleep for a while to start the 2nd half (have not recovered from a 1:00 AM return on Sunday from St. Pete....). Funny, I wore my UD Elite 8 T-shirt out at St. Pete one evening and I had a number of UD alums approach me.

UD apparently has had big rivalries with X and UC, and it's a shame they are not in the same league. UD put together a pretty nice season despite the fact that both of their two 6'9" guys were kicked off the team before the start of the season and they now don't have anyone over 6' 6". Archie Miller is doing a nice job there. Tosu refuses to play them, which made their win over Tosu in last year's NCAA that much sweeter...

It's nice that I can root for a team that actually makes the NCAA, since my Lions continue (despite some progress) suck.

I had season tickets to pitt BB some years ago, but they suck now as well so there's no college BB locally to root for this time of year.

Cappy

The Dayton team has only 6 or 7 scholarship players because of the dismissals/injuries/etc. Their team cannot go very far because these kids will simply wear out. It's been like that all season.

My son tells me that Archie Miller is the only reason they are where they are today.

UD and XU were together in the Atlantic 10 ... when the Big East imploded last year, the reconfigured Big East took Xavier and left Dayton (and Duquesne) to flap in the breeze. It's a shame.

Down in Cincinnati, the rivalry between X and UC is classic. Probably a good thing that they only play once a year in the Crosstown Shootout ... that game makes fourth and goal between the Steelers and the Ravens look like a tea party.

It's all good.

In Jacksonville. Game just tipped off.

Already nauseous having to hear the ncaa propaganda pieces they play in dead time. First was how the ncaa respects its athletes and a little lecture on showing civility and respect. You had to hear it. All I could think about was how they treated PSU. First eye roll at the NCAA this tournament!! ;).

End of Notre Dame - Northeastern just BRUTAL

NE down 2 with seconds left, driving for the tie or even the win . . . . and they NEVER get a shot off! Unforgiveable. Worse than taking strike three called.

Once again, ND gets the unbelievable break to go their way. But, they put themselves in position to benefit from the Basketball Gods, so gotta give credit where it is due. I'm no fan of Duke boy Turtleneck Mike Brey, but he's an outstanding coach.

Survive and advance - but their blowhard fans don't realize they are living a charmed life.

Is UAB wearing 2 different color shoes?

I'm surprised that the NCAA lets them do that. Although I suppose that, since each player does it, it is UNIFORM

Edit: So I looked it up: it's for Pediatric Cancer Awareness
This post was edited on 3/19 2:37 PM by Woodpecker

Gotta be the shoes. Shades of Gene Bartow.

Alabama-Birmingham knocks off #3 Iowa State. They're a choke outfit - couple years ago they lost as a #2, to Hampton maybe. But good for the Blazers.

Yep, Brutal Finish: No TO / No One Set It Up / Fumbled The Ball Away!

As you say, never got a shot.....a pity!

Guess Iowa State Was Still Celebrating Sat Win Over KU!

MANY people had Iowa State playing for a while.....good night Cyclones!

Should be a good tournament, starts with a 14 over a 3 seed

A lot of parity out there.

More Tiny Twelve suckitude

Taking a page here from the dear departed pnnylion for the description. #3 Baylor loses to Georgia State. Not Georgia. Georgia State. And Lefty Drisell isn't there anymore.

Just wait, because Texas has as much business in the NCAA Tournament as my high school does. And my high school does not exist anymore.

If I were Bob Huggins at West Virginia, I'd be taking notice. Of course the difference is, Huggy has a long track record of knowing what the hell he is doing.

Re: More Tiny Twelve suckitude

The kid Hunter that hit the shot is the son of the head coach that is rolling up and down the sidelines because of a torn ligament. Keep an eye on him after it goes in

Down he goes

The entire arena got on their feet as GA St came down for the final shot. Needless to say they adopted the underdog. ;)

Iowa in tournament longer than Iowa State

By virtue of being scheduled tomorrow

And as predicted, Texas gets flushed.

Boy do they suck. Rick Barnes is terrible - he has to have pictures of the UT AD doing unspeakable things with goats.

A good coach still needs the horses. But a bad coach could lose with Kentuckyesque talent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT