ADVERTISEMENT

I've figured out the ultimate solution to this Portal / NIL stuff.

Op2

Mar 16, 2014
Every player must go into the portal every year. And then we have an auction for their services. If the richest schools want to buy up the best players before the poorer schools get any then they can do that. OTOH, if 20 QBs, say, have been taken by 20 schools and the 21st QB comes up and those top 20 schools try to double down and get depth, the 21st QB might think "They'll give me more money but OTOH I'll be more likely to get to play at one of the poorer schools, so I'll go to one of those and make less money now but be more likely to make the NFL someday."

Voila. The richest schools still get the best teams but we still keep all of college football thriving instead of having it narrowed to 20 elites schools, which would get old fast.

Oh, and if a kid wants to stay at the school he's already at then fine, but he has to pay his way through school.

There you go. Now you can start telling me how brilliant I am.

Let me say it again.....
If college football wants to save bowl games not related to the new playoff structure they need to move the transfer portal window to after bowl games and let the bowl games be the showcase for players entering it. No spring semester enrollment. Use the spring semester for portal recruiting and and enrollment in summer. The portal period being during the season and before spring practice overtly hurts the players already on a team and overly rewards players transferring. Make the transfers mesh with the team in summer camp like the typical freshman would have too. I love the portal but the timing of it is all wrong. But I get it, Lincoln Riley wants an extra 4 months to work with his next transfer quarterback.

Every player must go into the portal every year. And then we have an auction for their services. If the richest schools want to buy up the best players before the poorer schools get any then they can do that. OTOH, if 20 QBs, say, have been taken by 20 schools and the 21st QB comes up and those top 20 schools try to double down and get depth, the 21st QB might think "They'll give me more money but OTOH I'll be more likely to get to play at one of the poorer schools, so I'll go to one of those and make less money now but be more likely to make the NFL someday."

Voila. The richest schools still get the best teams but we still keep all of college football thriving instead of having it narrowed to 20 elites schools, which would get old fast.

Oh, and if a kid wants to stay at the school he's already at then fine, but he has to pay his way through school.

There you go. Now you can start telling me how brilliant I am.
That would be horrible. First of all it would put an end to whatever sliver of academics exist in college sports. It would also be an unmanageable free for all. No sport has perpetual free agency.

Also, the schools don't pay the NIL money in the current system.

Reactions: psu00
Let me say it again.....
If college football wants to save bowl games not related to the new playoff structure they need to move the transfer portal window to after bowl games and let the bowl games be the showcase for players entering it. No spring semester enrollment. Use the spring semester for portal recruiting and and enrollment in summer. The portal period being during the season and before spring practice overtly hurts the players already on a team and overly rewards players transferring. Make the transfers mesh with the team in summer camp like the typical freshman would have too. I love the portal but the timing of it is all wrong. But I get it, Lincoln Riley wants an extra 4 months to work with his next transfer quarterback.
The courts determined that the players have a right to sell NIL but I don't think the courts determined the scholarship arrangements or transfer portal. Correct me if I'm wrong.

It seems to me that we simply go back to requiring kids to sit out a year if they transfer unless they have already graduated. It would be horrible for PSU to lose a stat player like Singleton because somebody else offered more.

Also, the scholarship should be tied to a combination of academic semester and sport season. The bowl games should be considered part of the fall semester.

Reactions: psu00
That would be horrible. First of all it would put an end to whatever sliver of academics exist in college sports. It would also be an unmanageable free for all. No sport has perpetual free agency.

People seem to forget your second point.

The courts determined that the players have a right to sell NIL but I don't think the courts determined the scholarship arrangements or transfer portal. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Certainly the NCAA can dictate timelines and windows for players as they do with recruits and practices and off season practice, etc. That certainly wouldn't preclude a player from leaving or sitting out prior to portal contact period but it would rob them of opportunities to showcase their talent and to continue to practice, hone skills and develop.
The goal would be to set the window up so that things happen in the "offseason" if there is such a thing these days. Maybe a contact period from January 15 to April 15, signing day April 30. Enrollment June 1.

Reactions: bdgan

Once the sliver of academics in college sports becomes as small as it is now, I think eliminating that sliver entirely is an improvement.

Reactions: Parkland Fan
Then you have, workers compensation, withholding, unemployment, and the ability to fire for cause.
Hey, the players and coaches keep saying ‘it’s a business’. We’ll, fine. Buckle up for contracts, dismissal for poor performance, and everyone’s favorite- taxes.

Once the sliver of academics in college sports becomes as small as it is now, I think eliminating that sliver entirely is an improvement.
You have any facts as to how small that sliver is?

ADVERTISEMENT