ADVERTISEMENT

James Franklin is exactly the person the BOT and AD want in a head coach

proud2bpsufan

Jan 4, 2013
He runs a positive, clean and competitive enough program to keep PSU relevant on a national stage without seeming like football is all that matters. Franklin puts the mental, emotional and physical health of his players above the winning at all cost mentality that the perennially elite programs, in terms of playoff appearances, probably don't have. Don't underestimate the affect that the Sandusky scandal is still having on the perception of Penn State University around the country. It was that win at all cost mentality that was placed on PSU when the Sandusky scandal broke. The football program was predicted to take 10 years to recover from the devastating sanctions placed upon it. As an alum, I appreciate James Franklin and the way he runs the football program. I'm proud to say he is the face of PSU football and want him around for many years to come.

Sadly this is true. CJF is a sign of the times... rewarding a mediocre performance... no one takes accountability... we dont want to hurt anyones feelings... its ok... here is a trophy.... He never calls out the players.. doesnt want to hurt their feelers.. Its sad that so many people are pussies... CJF is one

I have been a critic of Franklin since his incredibly stupid “elite” remarks. I don’t dislike him, I think he is a good coach, he is very good at pr. That said he is not an elite coach, and he has been repeatedly beaten by better coaches and ranked teams.

You may be right about the AD and BOT. They have shown politics and appearances are their primary concerns.

Think we should win at all costs
Maybe just win to start with.... yesterday... is CJF....and he didnt sack up as say... I did not prepare my team to play. It is my responsibility and quite frankly I am an average game day coach who can eloquently speak to people. He is going to look at the tape.... keep looking...

Reactions: N&B4PSU and Grass
Don't underestimate the affect that the Sandusky scandal is still having on the perception of Penn State University around the country. It was that win at all cost mentality that was placed on PSU when the Sandusky scandal broke.
That's long gone. No CF fans that I know refer to the "Ped State" BS now. And who pays attention to the Internet tough guys that do ? Just look at your 2002 recruiting class and it's obvious that today's kids and their parents realize that all of that is in the distant past.

Reactions: manilion
That's long gone. No CF fans that I know refer to the "Ped State" BS now. And who pays attention to the Internet tough guys that do ? Just look at your 2002 recruiting class and it's obvious that today's kids and their parents realize that all of that is in the distant past.
Dude every college in America calls psu ped state on game day vs us

Last edited:
Reactions: N&B4PSU
He runs a positive, clean and competitive enough program to keep PSU relevant on a national stage without seeming like football is all that matters. Franklin puts the mental, emotional and physical health of his players above the winning at all cost mentality that the perennially elite programs, in terms of playoff appearances, probably don't have. Don't underestimate the affect that the Sandusky scandal is still having on the perception of Penn State University around the country. It was that win at all cost mentality that was placed on PSU when the Sandusky scandal broke. The football program was predicted to take 10 years to recover from the devastating sanctions placed upon it. As an alum, I appreciate James Franklin and the way he runs the football program. I'm proud to say he is the face of PSU football and want him around for many years to come.
He started an injured player with a less than effective game plan to protect the player and win the game. Neither of which happened and that’s after two weeks to prepare for the game. This isn’t Pro football. Starting an injured player while reducing the package he can run and limiting the effectiveness of an already hindered offense is pretty glaring bad and is the result of several bad decisions and game day coaching blunders during the last two games.

you may have confidence in CJF and those you mention may as well but the fan base (donations) the players, and recruits may have some doubts.

I hope you are right. But I still see opposing teams fan signs on game days that say ped state. It's a name that is forever linked to Penn State University, like it or not. My point is that the BOT is not treating it like it is long gone and probably won't for quite a while. It almost crushed the football program and Penn State University.

Maybe true, but it is really a lot less than it was back in 2012. In 10 more years, the students were not even born when that stuff was in the news. It is pretty much in the rear view mirror, for now.
A LOT less - just the very few pea sized brains still refer to it. Your current staff and players had absolutely nothing to to with all that stuff and the vast majority of CF fans realize it.

As a huge Franklin supporter for years now.. let me say this.

He's paid $7 MILLION DOLLARS a year. Our assistants are paid like top 5 assistants, many making over a half million per year.
Every year... we hear about how our facilities are so far behind, we need millions to "catch up".
His agent stirs the pot to let Franklin come back for more money... more money for him, more money for his coaches. He's never said a word about Paterno. Maybe his first year. He doesn't have to - but shit, even Bryce Harper knows how to get the fanbase behind him, maybe learn a thing a two about how to do it. Throw a bone.

The loss yesterday put me over the edge. Inexcusable. I've defended him for years. I'm done.

Franklin puts the mental, emotional and physical health of his players above the winning at all cost mentality that the perennially elite programs, in terms of playoff appearances, probably don't have.
That was not on display yesterday when he played an injured Clifford the entire game. He ignored Clifford’s injury situation to potentially eke out a win. I would have been fine with TR losing the game and saving additional injury to Clifford so that he would have enough time to heal in order to be be effective enough at running to add that additional dimension to the offense.

He started an injured player with a less than effective game plan to protect the player and win the game. Neither of which happened and that’s after two weeks to prepare for the game. This isn’t Pro football. Starting an injured player while reducing the package he can run and limiting the effectiveness of an already hindered offense is pretty glaring bad and is the result of several bad decisions and game day coaching blunders during the last two games.

you may have confidence in CJF and those you mention may as well but the fan base (donations) the players, and recruits may have some doubts.
Only the overly passionate fan gets so upset over a loss like Illinois that the coach needs fired and PSU football will never recover until he's gone. It's just an emotional response and I get that. We all fall into that category once in a while. As far as the recruits, if we see a massive amount of decommits this year (we never have after a bad loss), then I might start to agree with you. As far as Clifford, the doctors and Clifford himself were fully aware if he was physically capable of playing this week and he was capable. In my opinion, we needed him to play. After what we saw from Roberson vs Iowa, Clifford at 70% was still a better option.

That was not on display yesterday when he played an injured Clifford the entire game. He ignored Clifford’s injury situation to potentially eke out a win. I would have been fine with TR losing the game and saving additional injury to Clifford so that he would have enough time to heal in order to be be effective enough at running to add that additional dimension to the offense.
You only say that because we ended up losing. If any one of the plays that could have won us the game (plays Clifford had nothing to do with) you'd be saying "Boy am I glad we didn't start Roberson. Clifford wasn't his best but it was enough to win."

You only say that because we ended up losing. If any one of the plays that could have won us the game (plays Clifford had nothing to do with) you'd be saying "Boy am I glad we didn't start Roberson. Clifford wasn't his best but it was enough to win."
The more you post on this topic the less genuine you seem. Very few watching that game yesterday wanted Clifford in the game no matter the outcome. It was clear the guy is hurt, basically immobile, and just plain bad. That’s not his fault.

Nobody would be saying that if we won 13-10 with Clifford. They would still be saying WTF was that
There's no possible way that after what we saw from Roberson vs Iowa and the way this board shredded him for not being capable of winning a B10 game that anybody wanted him to actually play this week. No chance in hell people wanted that. Except, we lost and now they can say Roberson should have played. Give me a break.

I think we should shuffle through 10 coaches over the next 15 years and hope for the best. I’m sure someone will breakthrough for us. That’s how it usually works out right? 🙄🙄

Reactions: BobPSU92
There's no possible way that after what we saw from Roberson vs Iowa and the way this board shredded him for not being capable of winning a B10 game that anybody wanted him to actually play this week. No chance in hell people wanted that. Except, we lost and now they can say Roberson should have played. Give me a break.
Your flat out wrong. I wanted to see Roberson. Particularly after seeing yesterdays version of Clifford AS IT WAS HAPPENING ALSO. To be clear : I wanted to see Roberson start. You know what ? It would have shown me there are actually good offensive coaches on this team whom could beat the worst team in the big 10 and rest 'The best QB'. Instead we see another round of trying to establish the run and a version of Clifford whom opted to run for the sideline instead of getting the first down in the center of the field available ( and was so slow he still got clobbered ). If that's what you want to see I have no idea why .

Reactions: psualt and PSUTENN1
There’s no mixed message at all, for a head coach making 7.5 million a year his job performance sucks.

Why is everyone so hung up on this? Which do you want - PSU establishes that it wants to play the game and pays high salaries (else guys like Yurcich and Moorhead are never hired), or we pay the head coach $900k, hire inexperienced assistants for far less, and never compete?

Some mixed messaging here

Reactions: Sharkies
They didn't win with Clifford. It was obvious he wasn't effective. He should have been pulled before half. Now he got the shit beat out of him again and goes up against OSU and Michigan the next couple weeks. If he wasn't effective against ILL, how is he going to do against OSU?

A loss with TR in at QB is much more palatable than what happened yesterday.

We are taking morality advice from the BoT? Give me a freaking break!

...If the BOT and the AD and a compliant Coach are happy to just have a respectable team and to not strive for Conference or National achievements, then why would any top players want to come here? Imagine selling that to recruits! Just hand out the participation trophies.
...I thought the coaching philosophy was one week at at time (1-0). Playing an injured QB (let alone for the entire game) over a QB that had 2 weeks to learn and prepare at this level makes no sense.
...Does what is posted on a message board or said by fans even get a second of time? I'm sure what is said here stays here.
...'With the benefit of hindsight', PSU lost, so if by 1 point or 30, 'what difference does it matter' who was QB? Imagine what the heck would have happened if SC was seriously injured during the Illinois game. I'm curious what position his family took on his playing before, and during the game.
"Good night Mrs. Calabash".

We lose with Roberson it helps us in terms of PR... losing with our starter suggests we suck. Royally.

It was an incredibly stupid move.. one from a guy who thinks we're playing illinois in the big house on saturday. Just wait til we actually play michigan at home... i'm thinking 1997 all over again.

Yeah.. i'm feeling reeeaaaaal good about this one.

So far, so good.
We’ll see where it ends up in December. My guess right around #10 after the big dogs feed. PSU is max’d out. A good class, yes, but not a great class. Those blue chippers better play in 2022. QB, RB, WR, DL, LB, DB there are some kids who better see some significant playing time next year because it will be a rebuilding yr.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT