ADVERTISEMENT

Jaylin Reed was penalized 15 yards following his game changing pick six because he gave the ball to his mother who sitting nearby in the stands.

OKLionFan

Dec 18, 2021

By the letter of the rule, it was a penalty but someone would have to explain to me what is unsportsmanlike in that play. Maybe 5 yards for delay of game would be more appropriate. If he repeats the play against OSU I’d be ok with him doing it again. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
By the letter of the rule, it was a penalty but someone would have to explain to me what is unsportsmanlike in that play. Maybe 5 yards for delay of game would be more appropriate. If he repeats the play against OSU I’d be ok with him doing it again. Any thoughts?
And the odd thing is it was called “taunting” by the official on the field.

What amazed me is the Official is unable to see blatant Personal Foul Facemasking on the QB at the point of a tackle TWICE, but is able to see this off the ball Personal Foul??? How about Reviewing an obviously incomplete Wisconsin pass (which even the NBC announcing crew were baffled by and said was unnecessary), but then only a couple plays later on the same Wisconsin possession, they don't Review a play where the PSU d-back intercepted the ball, but was uncalled???

Reactions: LMTLION
That’s horseshit. Talk about a situation that does not fit “the spirit of the rule”! Taunting? Come on.

I would agree that this is definitely closer to a Delay penalty than taunting. Franklin mentioned it in the post game on the field TV interview, so I think he was worried about the field position flip for sure.

In the scheme of things, I was A ok with it. I want our defense playing like this. Sometimes, a penalty like this can be more helpful long term than the short term negative. The defense, again, put the clamps on in another 2nd half.

I would agree that this is definitely closer to a Delay penalty than taunting. Franklin mentioned it in the post game on the field TV interview, so I think he was worried about the field position flip for sure.

In the scheme of things, I was A ok with it. I want our defense playing like this. Sometimes, a penalty like this can be more helpful long term than the short term negative. The defense, again, put the clamps on in another 2nd half.
I suppose I could see delay of the game.

I appreciate the information as I did not hear the post game interview with CJF regarding the post TD penalty.

I was also disappointed in the lack of curiosity by the broadcast team to provide any sort of explanation re: the penalty to Reed.

I'd prefer Reed, or any other of our players for that manner, finding a way to get their trophy ball to their loved ones without incurring a penalty.

It’s not the NFL they can’t keep the football or throw it into the stands for somebody else to have. Pretty simple penalty to me and it should’ve been called unsportsmanlike conduct rather than taunting.

Reactions: lazydave841
It’s not the NFL they can’t keep the football or throw it into the stands for somebody else to have. Pretty simple penalty to me and it should’ve been called unsportsmanlike conduct rather than taunting.

Definitely understand the why and no argument over it. I think it was called "Unsportsmanlike conduct, taunting".

Are players permitted to get the ball to an equipment manager to preserve the ball as a keepsake?

Is the problem that there is a finite amount of balls so they can't afford to allow every player who achieves a personal milestone to retain the ball?

Are there any milestone circumstances where the preservation of the ball for that player is acceptable?

Are players permitted to get the ball to an equipment manager to preserve the ball as a keepsake?

Is the problem that there is a finite amount of balls so they can't afford to allow every player who achieves a personal milestone to retain the ball?

Are there any milestone circumstances where the preservation of the ball for that player is acceptable?
The NCAA has no balls. So, I can understand this.

Whoa, that changes things for me. Good on him

I'm all for changing the rule but...
Like you said, by the letter of the rule it's correct
And, no, he can't do that against Ohio State--although if he gets a pick six against Ohio State I'll probably forgive it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT