ADVERTISEMENT

Jerry DiNardo picks PSU to win the B1G

tboyer

Sep 25, 2002
Sees PSU as the most complete team this year. Thinks PSU breaking in a new quarterback will be softened by the quality of PSU's offensive line, PSU running backs, and the fact that the PSU defense is playing so well under Diaz.

You could argue DiNardo is just trying to build up PSU for a fall but you can say that about every positive preseason prediction. It is very hard psychologically for a team to deal with expectations. It's a lot easier to win games when you're underrated. But I do think it's worth noting because DiNardo is one of the people who talks to a lot of coaches and knows the personnel in the B1G. He knows how much talent Franklin has assembled and he knows Michigan and Ohio State are breaking in a lot of new personnel.

I keep coming back to what I see as a really positive factor. Last time PSU had expectations this high, they had a young coach with the title of offensive coordinator who was completely over his head. This time they have a guy who has been scheming offense at the top echelons of college football for over 10 years. It doesn't guarantee anything but I'm sure of one thing -- because of Mike Yurcich, the offense will be prepared, it will make good use of the personnel and it will have plays that attack the soft spots of every defense they see.

Last edited:
We just can not continue to choke in the 4th quarter vs OSU. Last year we owned them for 3 1/2 quarters then blew it again. Few years back we were up "28-7" at the Shoe. We had the ball on OSU's 7 yard line in the 4th 1/4 with a 1st down. 3 worthless RPO's later, we were sill still on the 7YL. JF was happy with the FG because that was our intention. Lost that game with a few minutes to go.

We just can not continue to choke in the 4th quarter vs OSU. Last year we owned them for 3 1/2 quarters then blew it again. Few years back we were up "28-7" at the Shoe. We had the ball on OSU's 7 yard line in the 4th 1/4 with a 1st down. 3 worthless RPO's later, we were sill still on the 7YL. JF was happy with the FG because that was our intention. Lost that game with a few minutes to go.

That wasn't on the coaches, that was Sean Clifford. From time to time in his career he would just really stink it up for 5 minutes. He had that 5 minutes against Ohio State and that was the game. PSU hadn't "owned" them -- Ohio State was the more talented team and they were just shooting themselves in the foot, and you knew they would explode sooner or later. But you add Clifford's 5 minutes and all of a sudden a competitive game isn't competitive any more.

I think we perceive PSU chokes against Ohio State, but really it's more accurate to say that PSU makes mistakes in a lot of games -- it's just that those mistakes against Ohio State turn into 7 points sometimes in a matter of 4 or 5 seconds. PSU to beat Ohio State doesn't have to play a perfect game but they have to completely 100 percent eliminate certain kinds of mistakes. Throwing pick sixes is one of those mistakes you can't do at that level.

psu could win the conference, and dinardo can make a legit prediction for them to win..my only issue with your post is claiming that UM is breaking in a lot of new personnel..i don't expect people who are not UM fans to know Michigan's team as well as a UM fan, but your claim is 180 degrees in the wrong direction, lol.

Reactions: Marylovesthelions
Sees PSU as the most complete team this year. Thinks PSU breaking in a new quarterback will be softened by the quality of PSU's offensive line, PSU running backs, and the fact that the PSU defense is playing so well under Diaz.

You could argue DiNardo is just trying to build up PSU for a fall but you can say that about every positive preseason prediction. It is very hard psychologically for a team to deal with expectations. It's a lot easier to win games when you're underrated. But I do think it's worth noting because DiNardo is one of the people who talks to a lot of coaches and knows the personnel in the B1G. He knows how much talent Franklin has assembled and he knows Michigan and Ohio State are breaking in a lot of new personnel.

I keep coming back to what I see as a really positive factor. Last time PSU had expectations this high, they had a young coach with the title of offensive coordinator who was completely over his head. This time they have a guy who has been scheming offense at the top echelons of college football for over 10 years. It doesn't guarantee anything but I'm sure of one thing -- because of Mike Yurcich, the offense will be prepared, it will make good use of the personnel and it will have plays that attack the soft spots of every defense they see.
Although coach DiNardo is not a massive football intellect, he is affable, and has made some good observations in the past. It’s certainly possible that we win the BIG, but several things must fall into place. Allar must slowly improve physically and intellectually ) every game, and avoid serious injury. Beau, the presumed back up, needs to get some meaningful minutes ( like Allar last year) in the case of “emergency “. The QB position doesn’t have to win the game at this point, but it does have to avoid losing. Anything more than that is “gravy” IMO. —The WR’s need to be at least “good”……very good would be better, but I think good/dependable will suffice given our running backs and O-line . *** I haven’t seen a PSU O-line this talented ( and DEEP) for many , many years. —TE’s should be very good or better.
—The defense should be very good…. Scary good, with some good depth. I haven’t seen linebackers this good/deep since the POZ, Connor, Lee, Bowman, Shaw days. They will be special. Same with DE’s. —Hoping down DL can be consistently good…or better. It’s possible the DB’s will be the best group of all. We’ll see soon enough.
—The bottom line is that this year’s edition, can beat ANY team on the schedule, straight up. —They’ve got to actively learn, develop, and avoid major injury to put it all together . They appear to have all the tools. —Here’s hoping they’re able to put it all together. I’m very, very optimistic about this years team. JMO

Last edited:
Although coach DiNardo is not a massive football intellect, he is affable, and has made some good observations in the past. It’s certainly possible that we win the BIG, but several things must fall into place. Allar must slowly improve physically and intellectually ) every game, and avoid serious injury. Beau, the presumed back up, needs to get some meaningful minutes ( like Allar last year) in the case of “emergency “. The QB position doesn’t have to win the game at this point, but it does have to avoid losing. Anything more than that is “gravy” IMO. —The WR’s need to be at least “good”……very good would be better, but I think good/dependable will suffice given our running backs and O-line . *** I haven’t seen a PSU O-line this talented ( and DEEP) for many , many years. —TE’s should be very good or better.
—The defense should be very good…. Scary good, with some good depth. I haven’t seen linebackers this good/deep since the POZ, Connor, Lee, Bowman, Shaw days. They will be special. Same with DE’s. —Hoping down DL can be consistently good…or better. It’s possible the DB’s will be the best group of all. We’ll see soon enough.
—The bottom line is that this year’s edition, can beat ANY team on the schedule, straight up. —They’ve got to actively learn, develop, and avoid major injury to put it all together . They appear to have all the tools. —Here’s hoping they’re able to put it all together. I’m very, very optimistic about this years team. JMO
I think there is some hyperbole here but overall, pretty good. This is what I see, except I see bigger holes in the roster. The QB position will have to aid in winning games against Illinois, Iowa, Ohio State, Michigan and maybe Michigan State. I see an injury to Allar as a season ending event as we do not have a backup. Linebackers are still fairly well behind 2004 to 2012 in terms of talent and depth and defensive tackle lacks talent. I think we are close, but the holes are large and we have done nothing to close the gap with Michigan.

All the talk from Franklin and the media about the WR's is warranted, given the way passing and chunk plays can dominate games between very good teams. Today's great teams need a couple playmakers at WR to win against other great teams for the most part. When I think about the losses to Michigan the last two years I don't remember them having really great WR's, but their running game was excellent and our DL and LB's just were not up to stopping it at that point in those seasons. And the TE that we failed to cover was a glaring breakdown of the PSU defense that was just one of those things that seems to happen to PSU in key games. We had good DB's but it just happened.

The circumstances that resulted in the losses to oh-high-ya are documented above.

But it is the nature of college football for players to progress, if they really do have the talent and get the coaching. For the WR's we know that KLS is a really good WR that should get better. I'm not 100% sold on Wallace, but I'll have to take Franklin's word that he has improved and is ready to go for 2023. But with Cephus, McClain, Saunders and Evans we have every reason to expect PSU to field at least 4 or 5 WR's that can and will make plays against top B10 competition. Meiga is a mystery man as he has looked the part and reportedly tested the part, for a couple years but for some reason can't get into games and make plays. Many teams can ride a WR like Clifford, not a special athlete but a WR that can find openings in a defense and is dependable at catching the ball, to productive passing games. But we haven't seen that type of WR excel at PSU recently. Ivey is another player that could break out.

So overall I believe PSU has a great chance to field a WR group that can be at least "very good" by B10 standards. Good enough to compliment a "great" running game and an "excellent" defense and make the plays necessary to win against any team on the schedule. Not that PSU will win every game. As Joe used to tell the media, "you know the other team is trying to win as well....".

But with all the talent back and about every position group locked in with talented players, who the #2-#6 WR's will be seems to be about the only unknown for the PSU depth chart at this point that is getting heavy discussion, before fall camp even gets started.

My Prelim Depth Chart (first team / 2nd team / 3rd Team)

QB Allar / Pribula / Smolik
RB Singleton / Allen / Potts
WR KLS / ? OR Saunders OR Clifford
WR Wallace / ? OR Evans OR Cephus OR McClain
WR Evans OR Cephus OR McClain
LT Fashanu / Shelton / Williams
LG Tengwall / Nelson
C Noursad / Dawkins
RG Wormley OR Loane
RT Wallace OR Shelton
Additional OL depth with some experience: Traore, Achumba

DT Ellies / Izzard / van den Burg / Artis
DT Beamon / Durant / Ford / Townley
DE Robinson / Vanover / Fishier
DE Isaac / DDS / Vilbert
LB(SAM) Jacobs / DeLuka OR Rojas
LB(MIKE) King or Elsdon / Robinson
LB(Will) Carter / Wylie / Keys
CB King / Washington
CB Dixon / Miller / Payne
CB (Slot) Hardy / Collins OR Tracy

Yep, every reason to have some concerns about the WR group, But to me, I'm at least as concerned about the Kickers. PSU needs a placekicker that can make a 40 yard field goal to win a game, and can reliably make the 25-30 yarders that are needed when drives stall against good teams and it would be dishearting to come away with no points.

And we have had very good punters the last few years that have pretty reliably minimized big swings in field position during exchanges of punts. Stacy Collins needs to field a punter that can reliably punt 40+ yards with enough hang time to allow the PSU special teams coverage guys (likely some great young athletes) to consistently net close to 40 yards net punts.

WR's are the flashy potential unknown/weakness to talk about, but since we haven't seen much of the potential kickers we don't seem to give it as much consternation when maybe we should......

Last edited:
That wasn't on the coaches, that was Sean Clifford. From time to time in his career he would just really stink it up for 5 minutes. He had that 5 minutes against Ohio State and that was the game. PSU hadn't "owned" them -- Ohio State was the more talented team and they were just shooting themselves in the foot, and you knew they would explode sooner or later. But you add Clifford's 5 minutes and all of a sudden a competitive game isn't competitive any more.

I think we perceive PSU chokes against Ohio State, but really it's more accurate to say that PSU makes mistakes in a lot of games -- it's just that those mistakes against Ohio State turn into 7 points sometimes in a matter of 4 or 5 seconds. PSU to beat Ohio State doesn't have to play a perfect game but they have to completely 100 percent eliminate certain kinds of mistakes. Throwing pick sixes is one of those mistakes you can't do at that level.
The 28-7 loss at the Shoe, we had McSorley at QB. The 3 RPO's on first down was pathetic in that situation.

Reactions: Ski
Me when I hear Gerry DiNardo picks us to win the Big Ten….

IMG-4116.gif

All the talk from Franklin and the media about the WR's is warranted, given the way passing and chunk plays can dominate games between very good teams. Today's great teams need a couple playmakers at WR to win against other great teams for the most part. When I think about the losses to Michigan the last two years I don't remember them having really great WR's, but their running game was excellent and our DL and LB's just were not up to stopping it at that point in those seasons. And the TE that we failed to cover was a glaring breakdown of the PSU defense that was just one of those things that seems to happen to PSU in key games. We had good DB's but it just happened.

The circumstances that resulted in the losses to oh-high-ya are documented above.

But it is the nature of college football for players to progress, if they really do have the talent and get the coaching. For the WR's we know that KLS is a really good WR that should get better. I'm not 100% sold on Wallace, but I'll have to take Franklin's word that he has improved and is ready to go for 2023. But with Cephus, McClain, Saunders and Evans we have every reason to expect PSU to field at least 4 or 5 WR's that can and will make plays against top B10 competition. Meiga is a mystery man as he has looked the part and reportedly tested the part, for a couple years but for some reason can't get into games and make plays. Many teams can ride a WR like Clifford, not a special athlete but a WR that can find openings in a defense and is dependable at catching the ball, to productive passing games. But we haven't seen that type of WR excel at PSU recently. Ivey is another player that could break out.

So overall I believe PSU has a great chance to field a WR group that can be at least "very good" by B10 standards. Good enough to compliment a "great" running game and an "excellent" defense and make the plays necessary to win against any team on the schedule. Not that PSU will win every game. As Joe used to tell the media, "you know the other team is trying to win as well....".

But with all the talent back and about every position group locked in with talented players, who the #2-#6 WR's will be seems to be about the only unknown for the PSU depth chart at this point that is getting heavy discussion, before fall camp even gets started.

LG Tengwall / Nelson
C Noursad / Dawkins
RG Wormley OR Loane
RT Wallace OR Shelton

DE Isaac / DDS / Vilbert
CB King / Washington

Yep, every reason to have some concerns about the WR group, But to me, I'm at least as concerned about the Kickers. PSU needs a placekicker that can make a 40 yard field goal to win a game, and can reliably make the 25-30 yarders that are needed when drives stall against good teams and it would be dishearting to come away with no points.

And we have had very good punters the last few years that have pretty reliably minimized big swings in field position during exchanges of punts. Stacy Collins needs to field a punter that can reliably punt 40+ yards with enough hang time to allow the PSU special teams coverage guys (likely some great young athletes) to consistently net close to 40 yards net punts.

WR's are the flashy potential unknown/weakness to talk about, but since we haven't seen much of the potential kickers we don't seem to give it as much consternation when maybe we should......
Good post but you left off the Safeties

You are a good poster but I disagree with the statement about Michigan and tOSU breaking in new players. Based upon percentages of production those two teams edge us out for returning production for 2023. It is fair to say at this point we are one of the favorites to win the Big, not a clear-cut favorite by any means. Most prognosticators have us third, again.

Reactions: bluehair666
I think there is some hyperbole here but overall, pretty good. This is what I see, except I see bigger holes in the roster. The QB position will have to aid in winning games against Illinois, Iowa, Ohio State, Michigan and maybe Michigan State.
MSU is going to be very bad. Agree that having a passing game against the others will be key.

I see an injury to Allar as a season ending event as we do not have a backup.
How do we not have a backup? Beau would do fine and will hopefully get some early season game reps in the third and fourth quarters.
Linebackers are still fairly well behind 2004 to 2012 in terms of talent and depth
Not sure I agree with that. Jacobs and Carter are studs. Should be OK at MLB -- I like some of what Kobe King put on film.
and defensive tackle lacks talent. I think we are close, but the holes are large and we have done nothing to close the gap with Michigan.
Not sure I agree with that assertion either.

There comes a time when depth and talent takes over a college game. Michigan and tOSU prove that against us year after year. Perhaps we have more able bodies this year.

Reactions: 81b&w
Good post but you left off the Safeties
Yes, there is definitely a need for a Safety to step up and replace Brown. But I'm all in on the Safety room and as good as Brown was with the experience and talent that Reed, Wheatley and Winston have, together with the Senior Ellis, at this point I believe that as a group the Safety's will be as good or better than they were in 2022. I don't look at Safety play as having much risk. Reed has played pretty well for 2 years, Wheatley has proven he's a ball hawk, and Winston looks like a physical game wrecker. So the unknowns seem to be the freshmen along with Mills, which have lots of promise and room for optimism as well. Mack, Nelson and the RS-Fr Flowers who seems to have gotten some praise for his work to build his body towards B10 requirements. Mills came pretty highly acclaimed as a ready to step in Safety, but wasn't really needed at Safety last season and spent last season at LB. Now back at Safety he'll have a hard road to ever see even 3rd Safety snaps at PSU.

It all comes down to QB. Can’t have a repeat of 2021. DA and BP have got be good to great to match up with O$U and scUM. Plain and simple.

Ordinarily I never listen to DiNardo but he has always been critical of PSU’s Oline which we all know was accurate so if he’s now saying they can and will go Mano a Mano then there might be something to it.

Nevertheless, PSUs hopes of doing so rest solely on the QB shoulders and they better have two ready to go otherwise it could be a repeat of 2021.

Reactions: Ski

Season 5 No GIF by The Office

PSU led 21-3 and 28-10, but never 28-7.
Sometimes people's memories are fuzzy particularly when amped up trying to make a point. We have let it slip away a couple of times recently in winnable games against Ohio St. I can also agree that we did so with a rather large talent disadvantage. Ohio St is the only other team that has recruited on par with Georgia and Alabama over the last decade. They just don't have the national championships to back it up.

LG Tengwall / Nelson
C Noursad / Dawkins
RG Wormley OR Loane
RT Wallace OR Shelton

DE Isaac / DDS / Vilbert
CB King / Washington

Nice write-up. I agree with it. Did you intentionally leave out the other aspects of special teams like punt returner and kick-off returner?

Unless the staff continues to use RB Singleton, the special teams return game is ineffective and basically no threat to opposing teams. Penn State has lacked speed and elusiveness in this area (excluding Singleton of course ). The offense could use the special teams help especially with a new QB taking the helm.

Nice write-up. I agree with it. Did you intentionally leave out the other aspects of special teams like punt returner and kick-off returner?

Unless the staff continues to use RB Singleton, the special teams return game is ineffective and basically no threat to opposing teams. Penn State has lacked speed and elusiveness in this area (excluding Singleton of course ). The offense could use the special teams help especially with a new QB taking the helm.
I guess I look at the returners as pretty much of an unknown, other than Singleton. Franklin used Barkley in some situations in his 3rd year so it seems we will see Singleton at times as well. But the roster is deeper now than when Barkley was returning KO's.

It's hard to imagine Franklin turning the KO return and/or the punt return responsibilities over to a true freshmen, but there are some young candidates reportedly. Mack, for example, had a good many return TD's against top competition during his H.S. career. The true freshman RB Wallace might be another candidate for KO returns.

Reportedly Hardy is getting a look as the primary punt returner. We could be pleasantly surprised with whoever returns punts as Washington as I remember didn't light things up. Sure handed but not blazing speed or great moves. Dotson, Washington.... that pattern would lead to KLS getting a look there. Possibly Saunders or Ivey, but it seems like Franklin usually goes with a sure handed, more confident upper classman.

News on the returners will likely be scarce during Fall camp and we may have to wait until the WVU game so see who will get the bulk of the returns.

Last edited:
Yeah, special teams somewhat unknown for 2023. Punting, Kickoffs, returns, FG% -- hopefully good, but wait and see.

For 2022 season:
PSU did not allow much on opponent KO returns (only 22 returned for avg. of 19.5 yards) or opponent Punt returns (only 14 returned for a TOTAL of 95 yards).

But PSU didn't have much of a kick return game either (KO return avg. of 22.35 yards and punt return only 24 returns for total of 105 yards).
**thanks Nick Singleton for 100-yd TD

Field goals were PSU 13-18 and opponents 14-16

Interceptions were good news with 14 by PSU to 7 by opponents.

Last edited:
Reactions: 81b&w

I think if Penn State is going to get to that next level.. it nit only takes building our a great quality team with depth.. but also a mindset that.. they “ belong”.. Georgia , Bama , Ohio State even Michigan as of late.. don’t worry about being the “ hunted”.. really though Hairballs Press Conference was interesting., as he pointed out Georgia being their goal.. my point is simply.. having a #1 mindset..means not worrying about these Pee Season predictions.. good or bad..

It all comes down to QB. Can’t have a repeat of 2021. DA and BP have got be good to great to match up with O$U and scUM. Plain and simple.
Yeah, no doubt, QB is important.

Does Ohio State have a better QB outlook than Penn State? Anybody that can approach what CJ Stroud gave them?

And Michigan for that matter? yes, they have more experience at QB, but do they have a higher ceiling at that position than PSU?

Yeah, no doubt, QB is important.

Does Ohio State have a better QB outlook than Penn State? Anybody that can approach what CJ Stroud gave them?

And Michigan for that matter? yes, they have more experience at QB, but do they have a higher ceiling at that position than PSU?
osu is in the same boat as psu, highly rated QB's with very limited experience...UM has a QB who was rated in the same tier coming out of high school, and has an entire year as a starter..the experience is very important if you look primarily at the upcoming season..as far as ceiling, many outside the UM fanbase are unaware that he missed all of spring ball and didn't throw over last summer due to a shoulder injury, and then spent fall camp splitting reps with McNamera....he should make a leap this year being the #1 all offseason, very high ceiling..

Reactions: royboy

DiNardo drew the short straw on who had to make the contrarian view for TV.

Tony Hunt would disagree. They could’ve ground out the clock. He addresses it in this video:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT