ADVERTISEMENT

Jets planning to make run at Jim Harbaugh

Lets start the “No amount of money could ever get me to live in the New York Metro Area” line of thinking from the rural yokels.
Meh. I grew up in Philly. Visited nyc many times. Lived in DC for more than a decade. If the job market was good, I’d live in places like Bend, Oregon, Boulder, Co, Sante Fe over the former places any day. You can have Broadway, Bottle Service and hipster dipshits obsessing over coffee beans - I’ll take fresh powder, mountains and hiking trails

What part of that is confusing to you? Do you understand the Rooney Rule? Do you understand that Shaw and Franklin's name are likely to be tossed around? If not, you should
Yes, and white coaches could be fired too. Hell, Mike McCarthy already was. The Rooney Rule is in place for every team, not just those that already have black coaches. Way to bring race into something that has no bearing on whether CJF gets asked to interview.

I think the Jets is a good place actually they will have like 100mil in cap space this off season and already have a franchise QB, this team could go from junk to playoffs pretty quickly actually. AFC east could be up for grabs here really soon with Pats starting on the down side of there peak.

What part of that is confusing to you? Do you understand the Rooney Rule? Do you understand that Shaw and Franklin's name are likely to be tossed around? If not, you should
actually, if all those black coaches do get fired, they are all on the market and they will get "Rooney Rule" interviews .... this makes it LESS likely Franklin will get an interview.

Reactions: nittnee
Yes, and white coaches could be fired too. Hell, Mike McCarthy already was. The Rooney Rule is in place for every team, not just those that already have black coaches. Way to bring race into something that has no bearing on whether CJF gets asked to interview.

Are you this clueless? Really?
I never said anything about him getting "asked to interview" I said he'll be rumored.

actually, if all those black coaches do get fired, they are all on the market and they will get "Rooney Rule" interviews .... this makes it LESS likely Franklin will get an interview.

They may get interviews but none are really viable candidates in 2019. Maybe Joseph. All I'm saying is be prepared to hear his name even if he has zero interest.

The Jets plan to make a run at Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh. If they can land the man who has said he’s not leaving Michigan, what would the Jets do with G.M. Mike Maccagnan?

It’s believed that Maccagnan is on board with the move, primarily because he has no other choice. If he resists, he could join coach Todd Bowles as a former employee of the organization. Instead, Maccagnan hangs around and tries to co-exist with a guy who had a very hard time co-existing with Trent Baalke in San Francisco.

Regardless, the effort is coming. CEO Christopher Johnson, who is filling in for his brother Woody as the team owner serves as the U.S. Ambassador to the United Kingdom, personally has been doing the research and making the calls and coming to the conclusion that Jim Harbaugh may be the right guy to help the Jets get to where they haven’t been in 50 years, and counting — and to work with a potential franchise quarterback who has shown increasing signs of promise in his rookie season.

The difference is that Darnild has a substantial signing bonus so he will be ok.
no where near the bonus you get for being born into the Johnson family- they will let the coach do what he wants, I imagine.

As a fellow Michigan fan.....coaches make big statements about leaving all the time and then eventually leave. That said, I have a tough time seeing Jim leave *this* off season given the comments he made a couple weeks ago. Still, next off season (and everyone after) will be much of the same and we’ll see for how long he keeps making strong statements about staying.
Anison,
Always enjoy your posts [though my dislike for UM runs deep]. You are reasonable and thoughtful. What are the general feelings toward the program these days. On one hand had a great season with a dominant defense and on the other lost their biggest two games [ND and then the blowout to tOSU]. It looks like you lose a lot on defense what are the thoughts toward next year.

Explain "wow".

You really don't think the NFL is going to be concerned about the lack of minority coaches right now you're mistaken. There will be pressure to hire minorities. Again, reality.
You are saying any time a *black coach* gets fired in the NFL, Penn State fans should worry that NFL teams will come in and interview CJF? If that's not insane enough, when was the last time a black college head coach was hired by a NFL team to be the head coach?

no truth to the Jets making a run at JH....

Johnson released a statement via the team’s Twitter account on Monday morning.

“Todd Bowles is our Head Coach. There is no truth to the report of our interest in Jim Harbaugh.”

PFT stands by our reporting, which includes the team’s plan to offer Harbaugh more than he makes at Michigan and that General Manager Mike Maccagnan would likely stay with the team if things worked out with a Harbaugh bid.

Meh. I grew up in Philly. Visited nyc many times. Lived in DC for more than a decade. If the job market was good, I’d live in places like Bend, Oregon, Boulder, Co, Sante Fe over the former places any day. You can have Broadway, Bottle Service and hipster dipshits obsessing over coffee beans - I’ll take fresh powder, mountains and hiking trails

Hooterville.....fresh air!

Reactions: step.eng69
You are saying any time a *black coach* gets fired in the NFL, Penn State fans should worry that NFL teams will come in and interview CJF? If that's not insane enough, when was the last time a black college head coach was hired by a NFL team to be the head coach?

Again, please learn to read. I said, he will be "rumored". Do you understand what a "rumor" is? I never said we should be worried about anything. I said we should be prepared for the rumors. Nor have I ever said he would take an NFL job, interview for an NFL or be offered for an NFL job. Words

Again, what meltdown?

Ridiculous is right....there was no meltdown unless you had one.

You don't think there was a meltdown? lmao
Right, there weren't pages of posts about how everyone is out to get us. Watch, when Franklin's name surfaces we'll see the same thing. The media is out to get us. Davey is out to get us. Blah blah blah.

So pretty much the same as always.

:)
thank-you-thank-you-very-much.jpg

Both James Franklin and Jim will have many offers in the next few years but I fully expect Jim to be in Ann Arbor for several years as it's his alma mater and he has his family around him. This is Jim's 5th recruiting class which means all of the players on next year's roster will finally be his. He has the pieces in place to make a championship run. I expect a Michigan-PSU battle for many years for conference and national championships. OSU is dead in the water with that bozo assistant coach taking the HC job. What a stupid decision by OSU. Hope they're ready for some beatdowns. :Looking forward to next year's Michigan-PSU battle......gonna be a good one

Both James Franklin and Jim will have many offers in the next few years but I fully expect Jim to be in Ann Arbor for several years as it's his alma mater and he has his family around him. This is Jim's 5th recruiting class which means all of the players on next year's roster will finally be his. He has the pieces in place to make a championship run. I expect a Michigan-PSU battle for many years for conference and national championships. OSU is dead in the water with that bozo assistant coach taking the HC job. What a stupid decision by OSU. Hope they're ready for some beatdowns. :Looking forward to next year's Michigan-PSU battle......gonna be a good one
Hold left him plenty of talent. You’re a troll and you suck at it.

Just to be clear, what decade do the Michigan wins over Ohio State start?

no truth to the Jets making a run at JH....

Johnson released a statement via the team’s Twitter account on Monday morning.

“Todd Bowles is our Head Coach. There is no truth to the report of our interest in Jim Harbaugh.”

PFT stands by our reporting, which includes the team’s plan to offer Harbaugh more than he makes at Michigan and that General Manager Mike Maccagnan would likely stay with the team if things worked out with a Harbaugh bid.

This is what you say when you have one game left (against the Pats) and you haven’t fired your coach yet.

As a Michigan fan, I think it's good NFL teams are clamoring for our coach and have no chance of getting him. But Jim Harbaugh just made a statement to squash all these rumors that he has zero interest in leaving Michigan. Then two weeks later this comes out. It gets old.
"Clamoring"? LMAO

Michigan is a good school. Why do only the dopes that went there post here? Or did you dopes even go there?

Edit: besides Anison. He sounds like someone who actually graduated from a good school like Michigan.

"Clamoring"? LMAO

Michigan is a good school. Why do only the dopes that went there post here? Or did you dopes even go there?

Edit: besides Anison. He sounds like someone who actually graduated from a good school like Michigan.
I post here as well. Ugh I’m sorry I’m one of the dopes that didn’t graduate from Michigan but am still a Michigan fan. I guess I’ll have to live with dope label. Either way,happy holidays my PSU friends.

Reactions: dailybuck777
So Franklin says he's staying after not answering the question the first time, he's staying. Harbaugh says he's staying but according to some of the same people that doesn't necessarily mean he's staying.

Until the USC job opens up, we won't know for sure I guess. Franklin not an NFL coach to me though, he's a salesman and college football CEO and educator of young men. Don't think his personality or X and O's coaching lead him to the NFL, ever. Take O'Brien, polar opposites.

So Franklin says he's staying after not answering the question the first time, he's staying. Harbaugh says he's staying but according to some of the same people that doesn't necessarily mean he's staying.

Until the USC job opens up, we won't know for sure I guess. Franklin not an NFL coach to me though, he's a salesman and college football CEO and educator of young men. Don't think his personality or X and O's coaching lead him to the NFL, ever. Take O'Brien, polar opposites.

I 100% totally agree insofar as seeing Frankin as a college coach and not an NFL head coach. His biggest strength by far is recruiting; his relative weakness is the game itself: game plans, in-game decisions and strategy and clock / timeout management.

As tempting as some might see the Southern Cal job when it opens somewhere down-the-line, Franklin has always made it VERY clear that PSU is his dream job. I just can’t ever see him moving across country.

lots of smoke and it keeps coming.....

That all changes once jobs officially become open and offers become something more than hypothetical. So with Harbaugh currently making $7 million per year in Michigan, what would it take to get him back to the pro game?

Despite very real differences when it comes to player acquisition, the jobs are basically the same: High profile, high pressure, high-level football. So how much more than he currently makes would Harbaugh need to be offered to say yes?

Would a doubling of his salary do it? That would put Harbaugh at $3 million more per year than Seahawks coach Pete Carroll, giving brand new meaning to “what’s your deal?

With no salary cap for coaches and with the Jets seemingly determined to get the most out of their budding franchise quarterback, $14 million per year would be more than reasonable for a guy who, like most NFL coaches, could have more of an impact on an NFL team than any player ever does.

Sure, the Jets issued a statement attempting to return the toothpaste to the tube. And for good reason. If word gets out prematurely, multiple problems could develop. From compliance with the Rooney Rule if minority candidates believe Harbaugh is the guy to managing the P.R. complications that come from potentially not getting their top choice (and the New York media never letting them forget it), the Jets can’t afford to acknowledge interest in Harbaugh until he has signed on the dotted line.

“Todd Bowles is our Head Coach,” Jets CEO Christopher Johnson said Monday, not “will be our coach” or anything having any relevance beyond Sunday. “There is no truth to the report of our interest in Jim Harbaugh.”

Freudian slips rarely come in writing, but there’s something odd and intriguing about Johnson using the phrase “our interest.” It’s like me saying, there’s no truth to the report of a mechanical problem with my private jet. How can a possessive pronoun attach to something that doesn’t exist?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT