ADVERTISEMENT

Joel Klatt on PSU VS Michigan

lazydave841

Jan 9, 2021
ON PENN STATE BEING A DIFFICULT TEST FOR MICHIGAN…
“Because Penn State has transformed. They're far different than they were a year ago and their strengths are actually right where you need to be strong to face Michigan. So from a matchup standpoint, this is a difficult matchup really for each team, which is why it's such an intriguing game, but certainly from the Michigan standpoint. And one guy stands out above any other for Penn State and it's not their quarterback Sean Clifford or even their great new running back Nick Singleton, a freshman … It's a guy that was hurt in the back half of last year and he makes them a really stout run defense and it's their defensive tackle PJ Mustipher. He's a really good player and if Michigan can't just own the line of scrimmage and run the ball with Blake Corum, that means the game is going to fall on the shoulders of young J.J. McCarthy. And that's a big moment and a big stage for a young quarterback at that point. So I think the game rests on PJ Mustpher and the Penn State's defense ability to try to make Michigan a one dimensional offense.”

ON QUESTIONS REGARDING MICHIGAN’S OFFENSIVE CEILING…

“The most important aspect for Michigan this year is they are faster. Now, they have not shown a lot of, let's just say offensive creativity over the last few weeks. And I'm wondering, I'm sitting there … in the back of my mind, I'm just sitting here and I'm wondering to myself, is this really their entire offense or are they saving something? Here's the thing here. The misconception about creativity on offense is that it's hard for the quarterback mentally. It's actually not OK? And the more creative you can be pre-snap, then the more vanilla you can be post-snap.

This is the way offensive should always be built. Make the defense look at a lot, movement, different formations, different personnel groups and then run the same five to 10 to 12 concepts out of those different looks. This is what makes Lincoln Riley so good. This is what makes Steve Sarkisian so good at the college level. And Michigan hasn't shown that. They've got heavy tendencies formationaly, and they're going to need to break those and get more creative if they want to win on Saturday.”

Klatt was gassing on about Michigan establishing "tendencies" vs Indiana. Pretty sure that is done so that they can *surprise!!* break those tendencies later on in the season.

Reactions: Online Persona
Klatt was gassing on about Michigan establishing "tendencies" vs Indiana. Pretty sure that is done so that they can *surprise!!* break those tendencies later on in the season.
Michigan will play action the Penn St defense to death.

They have a habit of over pursuing

Michigan will play action the Penn St defense to death.

They have a habit of over pursuing
Yeah this worries me. Our D-ends and young linebackers in particular tend to do this. If we can get an early lead and make them become a passing team, I really like our chances.

Reactions: NedFromYork
I think Henning might have a big day out of the backfield. Very difficult for most LBs to cover.

ON PENN STATE BEING A DIFFICULT TEST FOR MICHIGAN…
“Because Penn State has transformed. They're far different than they were a year ago and their strengths are actually right where you need to be strong to face Michigan. So from a matchup standpoint, this is a difficult matchup really for each team, which is why it's such an intriguing game, but certainly from the Michigan standpoint. And one guy stands out above any other for Penn State and it's not their quarterback Sean Clifford or even their great new running back Nick Singleton, a freshman … It's a guy that was hurt in the back half of last year and he makes them a really stout run defense and it's their defensive tackle PJ Mustipher. He's a really good player and if Michigan can't just own the line of scrimmage and run the ball with Blake Corum, that means the game is going to fall on the shoulders of young J.J. McCarthy. And that's a big moment and a big stage for a young quarterback at that point. So I think the game rests on PJ Mustpher and the Penn State's defense ability to try to make Michigan a one dimensional offense.”

ON QUESTIONS REGARDING MICHIGAN’S OFFENSIVE CEILING…

“The most important aspect for Michigan this year is they are faster. Now, they have not shown a lot of, let's just say offensive creativity over the last few weeks. And I'm wondering, I'm sitting there … in the back of my mind, I'm just sitting here and I'm wondering to myself, is this really their entire offense or are they saving something? Here's the thing here. The misconception about creativity on offense is that it's hard for the quarterback mentally. It's actually not OK? And the more creative you can be pre-snap, then the more vanilla you can be post-snap.

This is the way offensive should always be built. Make the defense look at a lot, movement, different formations, different personnel groups and then run the same five to 10 to 12 concepts out of those different looks. This is what makes Lincoln Riley so good. This is what makes Steve Sarkisian so good at the college level. And Michigan hasn't shown that. They've got heavy tendencies formationaly, and they're going to need to break those and get more creative if they want to win on Saturday.”
Interesting....I'm reading these replies and it's like nobody actually read what he said...Klatt sees this game as very winnable for PSU in fact.

Interesting....I'm reading these replies and it's like nobody actually read what he said...Klatt sees this game as very winnable for PSU in fact.

The Michigan fans seem to be hung up on '16 and '18 blowouts, and the consideration that they are greatly improved from '21 to '22 being the key differences.

I've even seen it said that they have hidden multiple things in their offense because "they didn't need them in the first 6 games." How cocky. Harbaugh was okay struggling 10-10 with Indiana and knew he had Maryland licked.

Myself, I see a close game unless turnovers sway things. I think they get more 3 and outs because our offense hasn't shown high level efficiency yet. I also think that Michigan will move the ball better early, but will settle for FGs if they can't punch it in.

2 most important men on the field might well be PJ Mustipher and Mazi Smith. Both teams are going to try to control things with the run and these guys will play a major part in that.

Outside of 2020, Harbaugh has only lost home games to Ohio State and Sparty. That's tough sledding.

Looking like two starting O-lineman and Alt might miss the game, That would be helpful for a PSU victory.

Reactions: hlstone
I literally have no expectations for this game.
Mich has played noone.
Mich has not shown much in their offense. Is that b/c they don't have much or b/c they didn't have to show much to beat the baker's dozen of cupcakes.

Penn State's schedule has been better, but only marginally. It appears that Purdue and Auburn are worse than surmised when PSU played them.
Which Clifford will show up?

This might as well be the first game of the season b/c we know very little about how good either of these teams really are. It's possible that neither are even Top 20 teams. Saturday should be interesting.

Reactions: brupsu
Again, I'm sure the backups can hold just as well. What's the over/under for PSU to have at least 3 PI called and 3 offensive holding calls? Sorry I almost forgot the usual targeting call in Ann Arbor.

If PSU hits big plays early and the scUM defense doesn't stop them, the Referines will step in and flags will fly....

If scUM's Offense struggles, the Referines will allow them to hold with impugnity and if that isn't sufficient, flags will fly on 3rd down to extend drives.

Mich has played noone.
Mich has not shown much in their offense. Is that b/c they don't have much or b/c they didn't have to show much to beat the baker's dozen of cupcakes.

Penn State's schedule has been better, but only marginally. It appears that Purdue and Auburn are worse than surmised when PSU played them.

This might as well be the first game of the season b/c we know very little about how good either of these teams really are. It's possible that neither are even Top 20 teams. Saturday should be interesting.
I still think Purdue has one of toughest passing attacks in country. They lost to us and Syracuse, who are 10-0 combined. They had Syracuse on ropes but the two stupidest unsportsmanlike in CF this year gave SU ball at 50 instead of 25 with 1m left. Terps have great weapons on O. That win at UMD was pretty good. Will it matter for UM? Maybe as we have seen great passing attack and shut it down when needed. UM will exploit LBs and secondary tackling I think Chop is key as well. Blake may get yards but no big TDs. Put pressure on JJ to pass and let chips fall. We may not win bc not sold on Trautwein but let's make it a dogfight

It seems an intriguing matchup. I don't get UM obsession with running up the score-and leaving key starters in for no other reason than that. Many of the college football game day media seem to jump on players' and teams' performance and extrapolate a little too fast. Michigan seemed pretty average early in the Indiana game, not sure how much their coach's health concern or Indiana's defensive tightening had to do with it. There uncertainty, more than some based on what has not been shown so far, on both sides. Per the comments so far, I'd feel better if we had a better pass-covering LB and a proven deep threat WR, but I wouldn't be so certain Diaz isn't aware of and addressing the first...not so sure about the latter-could this be the game a true frosh steps in for a few key plays deep? Also, I not so sure Clifford's number isn't called for a few planned runs up the middle-not early to keep the aggressive but young UM defense on their heals....surely an interesting game.

I still think Purdue has one of toughest passing attacks in country. They lost to us and Syracuse, who are 10-0 combined. They had Syracuse on ropes but the two stupidest unsportsmanlike in CF this year gave SU ball at 50 instead of 25 with 1m left. Terps have great weapons on O. That win at UMD was pretty good. Will it matter for UM? Maybe ad we have seen great passing attack and shut it down when needed. UM will exploit LBs and secondary tackling I think Chop is key as well. Blake may get yards but no big TDs. Put pressure on JJ to pass and let chips fall. We may not win bc not sold on Trautwein but let's make it a dogfight

Ummmmmm...... scUM was awarded two separate interceptions that were actually incompletions as the balls hit the ground in the Maryland game. The first one ended a 58-yard Maryland drive in scUM territory after a 1st down incompletion was magically turned into a scUM INT without a Review! Maryland was leading at the time 13-10 and probably adds to that lead if their drive wasn't illegitimately ended (even the FOX announcers and Rules Expert stated they were shocked the play wasn't reviewed where it unquestionably should have been turned over).

Do you think PSU is not going to see this same bullshit out of the cheating b1g???

I still think Purdue has one of toughest passing attacks in country. They lost to us and Syracuse, who are 10-0 combined. They had Syracuse on ropes but the two stupidest unsportsmanlike in CF this year gave SU ball at 50 instead of 25 with 1m left. Terps have great weapons on O. That win at UMD was pretty good. Will it matter for UM? Maybe as we have seen great passing attack and shut it down when needed. UM will exploit LBs and secondary tackling I think Chop is key as well. Blake may get yards but no big TDs. Put pressure on JJ to pass and let chips fall. We may not win bc not sold on Trautwein but let's make it a dogfight

Also, you say Maryland is a good team, but you fail to mention that Purdue beat Maryland at their place! (scUM struggled mightily against Maryland, and was aided by multiple bullshit calls, @HOME at the big outhouse.).

Reactions: MacNit07
Listened to Klatt and Cowherd , Cowherd was drooling on UM, didn't seem to think PS could win this one. Klatt sees UM holding back on the playbook, but i say the same for PS, i haven't seen anything different since Auburn.

Corum is a tough runner key wrap him up don't let him get YAC yards. Contain Mac on rollouts and take away the slants.

On offense Cliff is the key ,he needs an Auburn like performance, i think we run the perimeters with Singleton and rely on short passing game , Cliff will attempt at least 3 bombs , he's been inaccurate there , i wish JF would can that theory but he won't.

Reactions: royboy
Listened to Klatt and Cowherd , Cowherd was drooling on UM, didn't seem to think PS could win this one. Klatt sees UM holding back on the playbook, but i say the same for PS, i haven't seen anything different since Auburn.

Corum is a tough runner key wrap him up don't let him get YAC yards. Contain Mac on rollouts and take away the slants.

On offense Cliff is the key ,he needs an Auburn like performance, i think we run the perimeters with Singleton and rely on short passing game , Cliff will attempt at least 3 bombs , he's been inaccurate there , i wish JF would can that theory but he won't.
I get as much from these guys as I do the drunk guy at the end of the bar at Hooters, to be honest.

Michigan had a good year last year and have been playing well against, mostly, cupcakes. Iowa and Indiana aren't good football teams. I'd say its a toss up but being at UM I'd make them a 3-point favorite.

I get as much from these guys as I do the drunk guy at the end of the bar at Hooters, to be honest.

Michigan had a good year last year and have been playing well against, mostly, cupcakes. Iowa and Indiana aren't good football teams. I'd say its a toss up but being at UM I'd make them a 3-point favorite.

Don't disagree with that - the intangibles - @scUM and the Referines being the two biggest intangibles - favor scUM.

I've never seen a series in watching college football over 55 years not only favoring one team (Michigan) but determining the outcome for some of those games.
The worst I can recall was Michigan gifted a win against Minnesota back in either the late 90s or early 2000 timeframe. I don't recall the full circumstances but it was the first time I fully realized that the referines didn't just hose PSU. It was literally anyone playing Michigan or Ohio St.

Reactions: BBHorn86

Klatt knows what he is talking about. Cowherd is a blowhard in every sense of the word and is just anti PSU. He also loves U$C and is not even from Southern California, enough said.

Hopefully Mustipher and Chop are ready to go and have big games. Would love to get both Singleton and Allen going early.

Reactions: Obliviax
Also, you say Maryland is a good team, but you fail to mention that Purdue beat Maryland at their place! (scUM struggled mightily against Maryland, and was aided by multiple bullshit calls, @HOME at the big outhouse.).
Perhaps I was not clear. I said Purdue is a decent team that beat UMD on road. You are preaching to choir in refs. I expect Ann Arbor treatment.

If leading by 15 with a minute to play is "struggling mightily", then what is losing in the 4th quarter to Purdue considered?

Mich has played noone.

Purdue who just won back to back road games against the media darlings Minnesota and Maryland? Yeah they are really weak.

The worst I can recall was Michigan gifted a win against Minnesota back in either the late 90s or early 2000 timeframe. I don't recall the full circumstances but it was the first time I fully realized that the referines didn't just hose PSU. It was literally anyone playing Michigan or Ohio St.
You said it. The league and the media wants it to be Ohio State and Michigan in the end so a game is tight they'll help it along. If it is clear the other team involved is truly in control they call straight up. Witnessed it many times. PSU better be up a couple of scores and controlling the LOS in the 4th or the calls will not go their way. I expect lots of PI in the first quarter against PSU. Mark. It. Down.

Reactions: creamery freak
You said it. The league and the media wants it to be Ohio State and Michigan in the end so a game is tight they'll help it along. If it is clear the other team involved is truly in control they call straight up. Witnessed it many times. PSU better be up a couple of scores and controlling the LOS in the 4th or the calls will not go their way. I expect lots of PI in the first quarter against PSU. Mark. It. Down.
Yep, letting the db's play will only be good for one team on Saturday.

It seems an intriguing matchup. I don't get UM obsession with running up the score-and leaving key starters in for no other reason than that. Many of the college football game day media seem to jump on players' and teams' performance and extrapolate a little too fast. Michigan seemed pretty average early in the Indiana game, not sure how much their coach's health concern or Indiana's defensive tightening had to do with it. There uncertainty, more than some based on what has not been shown so far, on both sides. Per the comments so far, I'd feel better if we had a better pass-covering LB and a proven deep threat WR, but I wouldn't be so certain Diaz isn't aware of and addressing the first...not so sure about the latter-could this be the game a true frosh steps in for a few key plays deep? Also, I not so sure Clifford's number isn't called for a few planned runs up the middle-not early to keep the aggressive but young UM defense on their heals....surely an interesting game.
Agree with the comment about Diaz. He is far more a game strategist than Pry was and will likely have some wrinkles to confuse JJ. As for deep threat. More concerned about Clifford's tendency to overthrow open targets. Work the middle of the field with the backs then double move on the outside with Wallace's and Evans' speed. Can Clifford get it to them is the real question IMHO

Agree with the comment about Diaz. He is far more a game strategist than Pry was and will likely have some wrinkles to confuse JJ. As for deep threat. More concerned about Clifford's tendency to overthrow open targets. Work the middle of the field with the backs then double move on the outside with Wallace's and Evans' speed. Can Clifford get it to them is the real question IMHO

The funny thing about Cliff is that when he's "on", he is on fire (last year's Iowa game.... this year vs Auburn....).... and he seems to be most "on" when he is part of the PSU running attack. I think he is more accurate on the move than he is from a stable pocket tbh.

Reactions: creamery freak
If leading by 15 with a minute to play is "struggling mightily", then what is losing in the 4th quarter to Purdue considered?

Did the two incompletions called scUM Interceptions that even the FOX announcers and Rules Expert opined were inexplicably bad calls which should have been Reviewed and Reversed (i.e., easily avoided by impartial officiating) have anything to do with that??? LMAO at how pathetic you scUM losers are.

Did the two incompletions called scUM Interceptions that even the FOX announcers and Rules Expert opined were inexplicably bad calls which should have been Reviewed and Reversed (i.e., easily avoided by impartial officiating) have anything to do with that??? LMAO at how pathetic you scUM losers are.

One was a bad call.

Bad calls happen. Even in favor of Penn State.

The non crazy Penn State fans understand this fact.

Reactions: Erial_Lion
This board is HILARIOUS. Some need to step back and take a deep breath. Wow, the way some get worked up into a frenzy - over stupid crap - is actually beyond hilarious.

Oh - BTW - GO BLUE

Reactions: heckmans
One was a bad call.

Bad calls happen. Even in favor of Penn State.

The non crazy Penn State fans understand this fact.

Amazing how scUM hasn't got enough of those fluke "bad calls" favoring them in their last 15 Bowl Games where they've gone 3-12 in games officiated by non-Referine crews.... Keep telling yourself there's no bias in the "Good 'Ole Boy" corrupt b1g bushleague. Let me guess, it's utter coincidence that PSU's b1g Conference Opener has been on the road 7 consecutive years and 12 of the last 13 years???

Amazing how scUM hasn't got enough of those fluke "bad calls" favoring them in their last 15 Bowl Games where they've gone 3-12 in games officiated by non-Referine crews.... Keep telling yourself there's no bias in the "Good 'Ole Boy" corrupt b1g bushleague. Let me guess, it's utter coincidence that PSU's b1g Conference Opener has been on the road 7 consecutive years and 12 of the last 13 years???

Keep telling yourself that whenever your team loses it is because the refs have conspired against your team.

Keep telling yourself that whenever your team loses it is because the refs have conspired against your team.

Again, mere coincidences the b1g frontoffice has scheduled PSU for 7 consecutive Conference Play Road Openers, and 12 of the last 13 Conference Play Openers as Road Games..... Yea, keep telling yourself that dip$hit.

This from the a-hole who keeps trying to tell us that this was a good catch under the actual NCAA Rulebook and another quality call by the Referines LMAO! :

7EE4Zcy.jpg

Again, mere coincidences the b1g frontoffice has scheduled PSU for 7 consecutive Conference Play Road Openers, and 12 of the last 13 Conference Play Openers as Road Games..... Yea, keep telling yourself that dip$hit.

And giving you a bye week before our game.

You are a mental case.

ADVERTISEMENT