ADVERTISEMENT

Joel Klatt on PSU VS Michigan

And giving you a bye week before our game.

You are a mental case.

Says the douche who claims this is a good catch... LMAO:

7EE4Zcy.jpg

The photo was taken after he had already been ruled in. Bring it in on your toes and you can have your entire body land out of bounds. That is a legal catch.

OMG, and you call others a mental case. The ACTUAL NCAA RULE says the entire "FIRST FOOT LANDING" must come down in bounds - we all know it was ruled a catch by the Referines Jackass, the point that you keep missing Mental Case is that the Referines Ruling is directly CONTRADICTED by the actual NCAA Rule! Talk about "mental cases" with their desperate rationalizations to try an make a clearly wrong call (in multiple ways as the NCAA Rulebook specified a mandatory Review of that play which was not done by the b1g cheating crew) into a "good call". LMFAO!

Last edited:
A mental case who has to periodically change his own handle because he gets too crazy for his own home board.
Yes.

I literally have no expectations for this game.
Mich has played noone.
Mich has not shown much in their offense. Is that b/c they don't have much or b/c they didn't have to show much to beat the baker's dozen of cupcakes.

Penn State's schedule has been better, but only marginally. It appears that Purdue and Auburn are worse than surmised when PSU played them.
Which Clifford will show up?

This might as well be the first game of the season b/c we know very little about how good either of these teams really are. It's possible that neither are even Top 20 teams. Saturday should be interesting.
How is Purdue worse than when PSU played them? They may very well win the West and could easily be undefeated (last second losses to SU and PSU)

Reactions: NewEra 2014
Purdue has been in four coin toss games. They could be anywhere from 2-4 to 6-0 at this point.

Purdue has been in four coin toss games. They could be anywhere from 2-4 to 6-0 at this point.
Right but as it stands they have one conference loss (to PSU) and are tied for first in the West. So to try to say they are a weak team isn't really supported by the data.

(I don't think they are a great team but they certainly aren't bad)

Right but as it stands they have one conference loss (to PSU) and are tied for first in the West. So to try to say they are a weak team isn't really supported by the data.

(I don't think they are a great team but they certainly aren't bad)

No, not weak; they are IMO as good as anyone in the West. I think they are about equal to Maryland.

The only question is if the Boilers can stop shooting themselves in the foot.

Reactions: PSU2UNC
No, not weak; they are IMO as good as anyone in the West. I think they are about equal to Maryland.

The only question is if the Boilers can stop shooting themselves in the foot.

Well, given that they beat Maryland on the field of play @MD and have the same record as Maryland (with both of Purdue's losses coming to currently undefeated ranked teams), that would make them objectively BETTER THAN, not about equal to, Maryland Bozo.

Last edited:
Well, given that they beat Maryland on the field of play @MD and have the same record as Maryland (with both of Purdue's losses coming to currently undefeated ranked teams), that would make them objectively BETTER THAN, not about equal to, Maryland Bozo.

Okay, chief. I see you haven't watched their games.

giphy.gif

Psu hasn’t played a good game since Auburn why? Have they already peaked or are they just an average football team. We will find out Saturday

Reactions: ivan brunetti
Psu hasn’t played a good game since Auburn why? Have they already peaked or are they just an average football team. We will find out Saturday
They played two games since Auburn.

One was in a hurricane and they won by two scores despite an amount of turnovers that are probably 4 standard deviations above the season mean.

The other one was a 3 score (practically a 3 TD) win.

Maybe the wins weren't "pretty" but those are solid wins. They are at least as solid as UM sneaking past Maryland and struggling for 3 quarters with IU.

They played two games since Auburn.

One was in a hurricane and they won by two scores despite an amount of turnovers that are probably 4 standard deviations above the season mean.

The other one was a 3 score (practically a 3 TD) win.

Maybe the wins weren't "pretty" but those are solid wins. They are at least as solid as UM sneaking past Maryland and struggling for 3 quarters with IU.

You are ignoring the competition in your 19 point and 10 point wins. A MAC cupcake that you should beat by 40 and Northwestern, the worst team in the Big Ten who has lost to Southern Illinois and Miami of Ohio, that was close into the third quarter.

Maryland was down 15 with a minute to play. And IU was shut down completely in the second half. Hoosiers were outgained by over 200 yards and outscored 21-0.

You are ignoring the competition in your 19 point and 10 point wins. A MAC cupcake that you should beat by 40 and Northwestern, the worst team in the Big Ten who has lost to Southern Illinois and Miami of Ohio, that was close into the third quarter.

Maryland was down 15 with a minute to play. And IU was shut down completely in the second half. Hoosiers were outgained by over 200 yards and outscored 21-0.
I'm not ignoring the competition.

If PSU plays NW in dry conditions (and hence doesn't fumble), they win by 30+.

CMU is a very decent MAC team and is far better than any OOC team Michigan played.

Maryland was down 15 with a minute to play

That's a deceptive and insincere way to talk about that game.

Maryland was down 8 with 330 to play. Yes, Corum broke a run to make it 15, but Maryland then drove the field in 245 for a TD. With their backup QB.

Imagine if they had got the onside kick. Yet here you are, acting like ya had Maryland put away for the entire second half.

But maybe you just have maize colored glasses? You do keep saying Maryland is better than Purdue.

Reactions: PSU2UNC
How is Purdue worse than when PSU played them? They may very well win the West and could easily be undefeated (last second losses to SU and PSU)
Suppose I don't think much of Florida Atlantic, Syracuse, or, of MD. Guess we'll see, eh?

Maryland was down 8 with 330 to play. Yes, Corum broke a run to make it 15, but Maryland then drove the field in 245 for a TD. With their backup QB.

Imagine if they had got the onside kick. Yet here you are, acting like ya had Maryland put away for the entire second half.

But maybe you just have maize colored glasses? You do keep saying Maryland is better than Purdue.

It wasn't their backup QB. Tua went out for about two plays.

This week I have been saying that Maryland is about as good as Purdue. Anyone who watched Maryland vs Purdue would come away with the same opinion.

I'm not ignoring the competition.

If PSU plays NW in dry conditions (and hence doesn't fumble), they win by 30+.

CMU is a very decent MAC team and is far better than any OOC team Michigan played.

If the weather hampered PSU's offense it also hampered Northwestern. How is it rain hurts how much you score but not your opponent? A ten point win is bad. A score of 20-0 would have been okay considering the weather.

CMU is a 1-5 cupcake MAC team. How are they "very decent"? At least UConn has a win over Fresno State.

And Michigan didn't have any 19 point wins over their cupcakes.

Last edited:
It wasn't their backup QB. Tua went out for about two plays.

This week I have been saying that Maryland is about as good as Purdue. Anyone who watched Maryland vs Purdue would come away with the same opinion.

He played the entire drive at the end of the game. Finished 5/9 62 yards, threw a TD.

Did you even watch the game? Either you are misinformed, a pure Homer with zero objectivity, or a troll.

He played the entire drive at the end of the game. Finished 5/9 62 yards, threw a TD.

Did you even watch the game? Either you are misinformed, a pure Homer with zero objectivity, or a troll.

I remember Tua leaving the game and then returning after a few plays. I haven't rewatched.

If the weather hampered PSU's offense it also hampered Northwestern. How is it rain hurts how much you score but not your opponent? A ten point win is bad. A score of 20-0 would have been okay considering the weather.

CMU is a 1-5 cupcake MAC team. How are they "very decent"? At least UConn has a win over Fresno State.

And Michigan didn't have any 19 point wins over their cupcakes.
This makes me think you didn't watch the game. Northwestern's offense wasn't doing anything regardless of weather. PSU's weather induced turnovers cost them 21-28 points.

CMU's losses were to:

PSU
#8 Oklahoma St
Toledo (who is favored to win the MAC)
Ball St (possibly a bad loss, but by one point)
South Alabama (who lost to #11 UCLA by one point)

I guarantee they would beat UConn, Hawaii and Colorado St.

This makes me think you didn't watch the game. Northwestern's offense wasn't doing anything regardless of weather. PSU's weather induced turnovers cost them 21-28 points.

CMU's losses were to:

PSU
#8 Oklahoma St
Toledo (who is favored to win the MAC)
Ball St (possibly a bad loss, but by one point)
South Alabama (who lost to #11 UCLA by one point)

I guarantee they would beat UConn, Hawaii and Colorado St.

The Chips lost by more to Toledo than to Penn State. I guess that makes you the MAC runner up favorite.

I get as much from these guys as I do the drunk guy at the end of the bar at Hooters, to be honest.

Michigan had a good year last year and have been playing well against, mostly, cupcakes. Iowa and Indiana aren't good football teams. I'd say its a toss up but being at UM I'd make them a 3-point favorite.
And we were horrible last year after Cliffy got hurt. Yet we had Michigan dead to rights and let them off the hook.

OMG, and you call others a mental case. The ACTUAL NCAA RULE says the entire "FIRST FOOT LANDING" must come down in bounds - we all know it was ruled a catch by the Referines Jackass, the point that you keep missing Mental Case is that the Referines Ruling is directly CONTRADICTED by the actual NCAA Rule! Talk about "mental cases" with their desperate rationalizations to try an make a clearly wrong call (in multiple ways as the NCAA Rulebook specified a mandatory Review of that play which was not done by the b1g cheating crew) into a "good call". LMFAO!
No argument. But let's talk about the mental issues of a Michigan fan who frequents opponents message boards.

This thread has gotten out of control...let me bring it back to actual football, stats, trouble spots, etc. No more of the name calling :)

A couple of interesting stats that I found on the Michigan Rivals page...."On paper, the Nittany Lions have an offensive line that fails to protect the passer, with two linemen below a 46.0 pass block grade (against true pass sets) and two others below 35, while the defense has a 114th-best 48.7 tackling grade. Michigan is the best tackling team in the country (91.0)."

I'm not as concerned about the tackling grade (albeit an issue) as I am with the OL. No question we are running the ball 'better', but still, as a whole, it's not a great unit. And, those pass grade numbers are brutal. This is typically the key matchup vs Michigan for any team...how do you hold up at the LOS. I feel we have better athletes outside the box on both sides, but that doesn't matter if your OL is getting destroyed. To me, more than anything, October is a litmus test for Trautwein and his group, not JF. If we still can't cut it at the OL and get pushed around, it's time for Traut to go. You should be measured against your best opponents....this month should present those opportunities.

Reactions: PSUSignore
ON PENN STATE BEING A DIFFICULT TEST FOR MICHIGAN…
“Because Penn State has transformed. They're far different than they were a year ago and their strengths are actually right where you need to be strong to face Michigan. So from a matchup standpoint, this is a difficult matchup really for each team, which is why it's such an intriguing game, but certainly from the Michigan standpoint. And one guy stands out above any other for Penn State and it's not their quarterback Sean Clifford or even their great new running back Nick Singleton, a freshman … It's a guy that was hurt in the back half of last year and he makes them a really stout run defense and it's their defensive tackle PJ Mustipher. He's a really good player and if Michigan can't just own the line of scrimmage and run the ball with Blake Corum, that means the game is going to fall on the shoulders of young J.J. McCarthy. And that's a big moment and a big stage for a young quarterback at that point. So I think the game rests on PJ Mustpher and the Penn State's defense ability to try to make Michigan a one dimensional offense.”

ON QUESTIONS REGARDING MICHIGAN’S OFFENSIVE CEILING…

“The most important aspect for Michigan this year is they are faster. Now, they have not shown a lot of, let's just say offensive creativity over the last few weeks. And I'm wondering, I'm sitting there … in the back of my mind, I'm just sitting here and I'm wondering to myself, is this really their entire offense or are they saving something? Here's the thing here. The misconception about creativity on offense is that it's hard for the quarterback mentally. It's actually not OK? And the more creative you can be pre-snap, then the more vanilla you can be post-snap.

This is the way offensive should always be built. Make the defense look at a lot, movement, different formations, different personnel groups and then run the same five to 10 to 12 concepts out of those different looks. This is what makes Lincoln Riley so good. This is what makes Steve Sarkisian so good at the college level. And Michigan hasn't shown that. They've got heavy tendencies formationaly, and they're going to need to break those and get more creative if they want to win on Saturday.”
So Klatt is basically saying that Michigan has not shown anything yet on offense.

1. Both teams really haven't faced a true test this year.
2. This will be the 1st big game in the career of the Michigan QB. Clifford has played in plenty of big games.
3. Pack the box and make JJ and the WR beat you.
4. I think we will all like what Manny and Mike have dialed up for this week.
5. The DE's for Michigan last year were both top 10 picks if DO doesn't get hurt.

Penn State 31 Michigan 17

And Corum's long TD run was broken by a massive uncalled hold on the Maryland DE. Even Corum said he was surprised the hold wasn't called.

Corum had one other touchdown run that all but sealed the deal for Michigan to walk out of the Big House remaining undefeated. With a little under four minutes left on the clock in the fourth quarter, Corum ran for a 47-yard touchdown run to put Michigan up 34-19. He was asked after the game to go through that play, and Corum said that he had to differ from the call and instead, trusted his guys would make the correct block to set him free.

“So my pre-Snap read,” Corum began. “I knew they were bringing pressure from the field. They’ve been doing it — they did it a lot throughout the game. And so if I would have kept it front side, it would have been over with but, I saw there was no corner there. And I trusted my guys to block. It scared me for a second because I’m like, if I do it, there might be a holding call. But I just did it.”

Last edited:
This thread has gotten out of control...let me bring it back to actual football, stats, trouble spots, etc. No more of the name calling :)

A couple of interesting stats that I found on the Michigan Rivals page...."On paper, the Nittany Lions have an offensive line that fails to protect the passer, with two linemen below a 46.0 pass block grade (against true pass sets) and two others below 35, while the defense has a 114th-best 48.7 tackling grade. Michigan is the best tackling team in the country (91.0)."

I'm not as concerned about the tackling grade (albeit an issue) as I am with the OL. No question we are running the ball 'better', but still, as a whole, it's not a great unit. And, those pass grade numbers are brutal. This is typically the key matchup vs Michigan for any team...how do you hold up at the LOS. I feel we have better athletes outside the box on both sides, but that doesn't matter if your OL is getting destroyed. To me, more than anything, October is a litmus test for Trautwein and his group, not JF. If we still can't cut it at the OL and get pushed around, it's time for Traut to go. You should be measured against your best opponents....this month should present those opportunities.
If we can't run at all and have trouble pass protecting then highly likely we lose barring some other crazy stuff happening like a lot of scUM turnovers.

The two work in tandem to some degree. Meaning if we create some room to run (not gaping holes but cracks) that Singleton and Allen can then take advantage of while utilizing their talent to really exploit that should help us keep their pass rush at bay to some degree because there is a threat of a run game. Also need to run Cliff and roll him out.

Finally, the O line has improved despite what these stats are saying from just the eye test. I would be interested in the simple stat of PSU vs scUM O-Lines and how many sacks and tackles for losses has each given up this year?

If we can't run at all and have trouble pass protecting then highly likely we lose barring some other crazy stuff happening like a lot of scUM turnovers.

The two work in tandem to some degree. Meaning if we create some room to run (not gaping holes but cracks) that Singleton and Allen can then take advantage of while utilizing their talent to really exploit that should help us keep their pass rush at bay to some degree because there is a threat of a run game. Also need to run Cliff and roll him out.

Finally, the O line has improved despite what these stats are saying from just the eye test. I would be interested in the simple stat of PSU vs scUM O-Lines and how many sacks and tackles for losses has each given up this year?
Good points...Bit confusing looking at the stats...but it looks like PSU OL has allowed 7 sacks and 23 TFLs. Looks like Mich OL has allowed 8 sacks and 24 tfl's? I think I have that right...so on the surface, similar stats...but I think 3rd down %, where it really matters is the annual struggle for PSU and typically makes the difference. We convert at a 34% clip...Mich at 45%. That is a massive difference and it really starts up front with the run game and not getting stuffed on early downs. I like your idea about letting Cliff run a bit more...especially if Mich is in man. I get that he has taken more hits than Balboa, but without the threat of him running, it makes him truly less of a worry for the defense.

Good points...Bit confusing looking at the stats...but it looks like PSU OL has allowed 7 sacks and 23 TFLs. Looks like Mich OL has allowed 8 sacks and 24 tfl's? I think I have that right...so on the surface, similar stats...but I think 3rd down %, where it really matters is the annual struggle for PSU and typically makes the difference. We convert at a 34% clip...Mich at 45%. That is a massive difference and it really starts up front with the run game and not getting stuffed on early downs. I like your idea about letting Cliff run a bit more...especially if Mich is in man. I get that he has taken more hits than Balboa, but without the threat of him running, it makes him truly less of a worry for the defense.
Clifford will have to run for a few first downs to win this game.

ADVERTISEMENT