ADVERTISEMENT

Joel Klatt on Rose Bowl and Penn State going forward

Jerry

May 29, 2001
I think Joel is one of the more perceptive commentators on college football.

In his Wednesday show he did a wrap-up on the non-playoff NY6 bowls. He's pretty high on Penn State going into next year. The problem will be a familiar one: the league's idiotically lopsided divisional structure which concentrates most of the power in the East. (Fortunately, that will apparently change in 2024, but we still have one more year to deal with it.)

((Side note on Drew Allar. A lot of people, maybe Joel too, seem to think he's going to be an immediate star. I hope so but doubt it. I mean, he was never really under the gun this year. Almost all his PT came in non-pressure situations. He won't have that luxury in 2023, and people are going to have to cut him some slack until he gets comfortable as the starter and in game rhythm.))

Allar aside, Joel's Rose Bowl/Penn State comments start at time hack 14:20 below:

In his Wednesday show he did a wrap-up on the non-playoff NY6 bowls. He's pretty high on Penn State going into next year. The problem will be a familiar one: the league's idiotically lopsided divisional structure which concentrates most of the power in the East. (Fortunately, that will apparently change in 2024, but we still have one more year to deal with it.)

((Side note on Drew Allar. A lot of people, maybe Joel too, seem to think he's going to be an immediate star. I hope so but doubt it. I mean, he was never really under the gun this year. Almost all his PT came in non-pressure situations. He won't have that luxury in 2023, and people are going to have to cut him some slack until he gets comfortable as the starter and in game rhythm.))

Allar aside, Joel's Rose Bowl/Penn State comments start at time hack 14:20 below:

He and Josh Pate seem to have the most reasonable analysis of Penn State….. and college games in general.

Allar will be thrown right into the fire starting at home versus WVU. We then catch a break with Delaware. But then play an improving Illinois and Iowa. Three out of the four first games are a challenge

Allar will be thrown right into the fire starting at home versus WVU. We then catch a break with Delaware. But then play an improving Illinois and Iowa. Three out of the four first games are a challenge
You're worried about WVU who just went 5-7 (3-9) and Neal Brown who's 3 games under 500 at WVU in 4 years?
Illinois, Iowa and WVU should all be double digit wins if we're as good as we expect to be next year.
Maybe this is just you trying to be respectful of other teams but those aren't games we should be worried about. Obviously upsets happen but those are game we should be favored by at least 10.

You're worried about WVU who just went 5-7 (3-9) and Neal Brown who's 3 games under 500 at WVU in 4 years?
Illinois, Iowa and WVU should all be double digit wins if we're as good as we expect to be next year.
Maybe this is just you trying to be respectful of other teams but those aren't games we should be worried about. Obviously upsets happen but those are game we should be favored by at least 10.
When you say "we", I believe you are talking about J J. McCarthy and Michigan, not Penn State. Perhaps YOU should have been more respectful of TCU...

By the way, Drew Allar is every bit as prepared as Kyle McCord...so let's not jump off the bridge about experience and expectations.

When you say "we", I believe you are talking about J J. McCarthy and Michigan, not Penn State. Perhaps YOU should have been more respectful of TCU...

By the way, Drew Allar is every bit as prepared as Kyle McCord...so let's not jump off the bridge about experience and expectations.
I still don't care Michigan list other than the Big Ten losing is bad for Penn State
There's no rebuilding in college football...you reload. Georgia Bama and Ohio State all will have new QBs next year. All should win 11 or 12 games

Georgia Bama and Ohio State all will have new QBs next year. All should win 11 or 12 games

McCord has less playing time than Allar.

Milroe got a start when Young was hurt, but otherwise he doesn't have a lot of snaps. Not a certainty he'll be the QB1 either.

UGAs backups have 34 passes to their credit this year.

Allar has about as much experience as any backup can get without injury.

Reactions: wilbury and bison13
The WVU game has some unknowns. PSU will be favored but it’s the first game of the season when teams often aren’t in sync yet and will be starting a new QB.

Iowa is an odd team. Their D appears pretty good but their O was pathetic this year. I don’t know who they have coming back but luckily that game is at home.

I could see the team 6-0 going into the Ohio State game, (if all goes as expected). In Columbus, with a new QB, in his first hostile environment…….

IMO the real season changing game is Michigan. It’s game 10 where the team should be more cohesive and at home. That’s the must win game if the team wants to have any chance to be in the playoff, (and no dropping a game they should win like Illinois a few years ago).

2023 schedule-
WVU
Delaware
@ Illinois
Iowa
@ Northwestern
UMass
@ Ohio State
Indiana
@ Maryland
Michigan
Rutgers
@ Michigan State

McCord has less playing time than Allar.

Milroe got a start when Young was hurt, but otherwise he doesn't have a lot of snaps. Not a certainty he'll be the QB1 either.

UGAs backups have 34 passes to their credit this year.

Allar has about as much experience as any backup can get without injury.
If your figures are accurate, and I have no reason to doubt them, that’s an interesting take. Many posters worried that Allar wasn’t being used enough by Franklin. One can feel better that other teams in similar circumstances acted accordingly.

The WVU game has some unknowns. PSU will be favored but it’s the first game of the season when teams often aren’t in sync yet and will be starting a new QB.

Iowa is an odd team. Their D appears pretty good but their O was pathetic this year. I don’t know who they have coming back but luckily that game is at home.

I could see the team 6-0 going into the Ohio State game, (if all goes as expected). In Columbus, with a new QB, in his first hostile environment…….

IMO the real season changing game is Michigan. It’s game 10 where the team should be more cohesive and at home. That’s the must win game if the team wants to have any chance to be in the playoff, (and no dropping a game they should win like Illinois a few years ago).

2023 schedule-
WVU
Delaware
@ Illinois
Iowa
@ Northwestern
UMass
@ Ohio State
Indiana
@ Maryland
Michigan
Rutgers
@ Michigan State
Again, Ohio State will ALSO be fielding a "new" quarterback.

Again, Ohio State will ALSO be fielding a "new" quarterback.
True, but overall most would rank OSU as better than PSU, and the game is in Columbus.

Don’t make me pull out the stats of PSU vs OSU overall and in games played in Ohio. ;)

True, but overall most would rank OSU as better than PSU, and the game is in Columbus.

Don’t make me pull out the stats of PSU vs OSU overall and in games played in Ohio. ;)
All of the above is true, but to say that Kyle McCord has more experience than Drew Allar would be untrue...by the way, it's not set in stone that McCord will be the guy next year either, and I can easily see a scenario in which if that program loses one single game, they yank him anyway.

If your figures are accurate, and I have no reason to doubt them, that’s an interesting take. Many posters worried that Allar wasn’t being used enough by Franklin. One can feel better that other teams in similar circumstances acted accordingly.
Because they were fighting for a playoff spot. We weren't after Ohio State.

All of the above is true, but to say that Kyle McCord has more experience than Drew Allar would be untrue...by the way, it's not set in stone that McCord will be the guy next year either, and I can easily see a scenario in which if that program loses one single game, they yank him anyway.
True, it’s all just predictions now a year out. I would not consider the game in Columbus to be in the win column if I had to pick now, but others can disagree. We really won’t have a good feel for the teams until we’re 3-4 games into next year IMO.

Reactions: Westcoast24
So you’re saying that all, most, greater than half of the teams not in the playoff hunt ditched their starting quarterback to give the backup more playing time? If you have statistics fine, otherwise it’s just another dumb comment you pulled out of your As$.

Reactions: AvgUser
So you’re saying that all, most, greater than half of the teams not in the playoff hunt ditched their starting quarterback to give the backup more playing time? If you have statistics fine, otherwise it’s just another dumb comment you pulled out of your As$.
What are you talking about? Even the BWI staff said they expected to see more of Allar after that loss. I defended Clifford all season but that's "WHY" people wanted to see Allar. Never said everyone does that. I said there's a difference which there is.

What are you talking about? Even the BWI staff said they expected to see more of Allar after that loss. I defended Clifford all season but that's "WHY" people wanted to see Allar. Never said everyone does that. I said there's a difference which there is.
Unless I’m mistaken, the BWI staff members aren’t PSU coaches. So their comments are irrelevant and immaterial as to who actually plays. No more meaningful than yours or mine.
The issue is that lazydave841 made an interesting comment, Wether it’s factual or not I can’t say. Just that I found it interesting.

Whereas you with your irrational thought process decided to interject a species comment, I would imagine just for confrontational argumentation. Then later using as your factual basis, random comments from beat writers. Yes, an excellent factual foundation for discourse, NOT.

Unless I’m mistaken, the BWI staff members aren’t PSU coaches. So their comments are irrelevant and immaterial as to who actually plays. No more meaningful than yours or mine.
The issue is that lazydave841 made an interesting comment, Wether it’s factual or not I can’t say. Just that I found it interesting.

Whereas you with your irrational thought process decided to interject a species comment, I would imagine just for confrontational argumentation. Then later using as your factual basis, random comments from beat writers. Yes, an excellent factual foundation for discourse, NOT.
You asked a question which I answered whether you like the answer or not. How is it confrontational? The fans that wanted Allar do play more wanted him to play more because we lost to Ohio State and they deemed our season over.

You literally took a comment made by dave and tried to bash people that wanted to see Allar more--don't pretend I'm the only looking for a fight when it's you

You asked a question which I answered whether you like the answer or not. How is it confrontational? The fans that wanted Allar do play more wanted him to play more because we lost to Ohio State and they deemed our season over.

You literally took a comment made by dave and tried to bash people that wanted to see Allar more--don't pretend I'm the only looking for a fight when it's you
Oh yes you get along famously here with everyone. No confrontational posts or ridiculous arguments from you. I have I believe over 3000 posts over the years and have very rarely ever had an argument with anyone. But then again I’m not trolling constantly to display my lack of common sense. Try reading what I actually said, not your goal post changing interpretation. Just quit while you’re behind, you won’t of course, but if would be really refreshing for everyone if you did.

Oh yes you get along famously here with everyone. No confrontational posts or ridiculous arguments from you. I have I believe over 3000 posts over the years and have very rarely ever had an argument with anyone. But then again I’m not trolling constantly to display my lack of common sense. Try reading what I actually said, not your goal post changing interpretation. Just quit while you’re behind, you won’t of course, but if would be really refreshing for everyone if you did.
So your post wasn't insulting or questioning those that wanted to see Allar and you still don't comprehend my reply was simply a fact? All you have to do is be honest and there wouldn't be a back and forth but you want to pretend otherwise.

Also the second you claim I'm a troll because I'm not unable to see both sides of things only furthers my point you're looking for an argument. I'll give you one. Just make your case better so it's challenging next time.

Based on how "fans" were clamoring for Allar, if he doesn't win the Heisman Trophy twice and lead us to two undefeated national championships, I'll be pissed. He better never throw a bad pass!!!

I realize that it's all about getting the extra home game, which means scheduling schools that won't insist on a home and home deal, but an out of conference schedule featuring West Virginia, Delaware and UMass is just disappointing. The Lions stepped it up the last couple of years by playing a home and home series with Auburn. I thought those games were great, particularly the first game. I would like to see them continue that practice. They should consider opening the season by playing in one of those high profile intersectional ("Kickoff Classic") games. Those games must earn the participating teams a TON of money and positive publicity.

What about winning? Franklin is obligated to put the best team on the field, every week, regardless. Can Franklin, or any coach, just come out and say "hey, we're not going to make the playoff...youth movement begins now, starting at QB."???

I don't think it's ever been done. At least not during a 6-2 season where the potential for 11-2 exists (and was attained).

The only QB in recent memory who got "meaningful snaps" as many here would define it was JJ McCarthy during Michigan's '21 season. If you compare them to Allar, they are very close in pass attempts, but JJ had a better % completed and more yards the best I remember (didn't relook this up again, but I've checked it before).

What I do know is JJ had a pivotal fumble in the loss to Sparty last year. Probably a key component in losing that game. While it ultimately didn't derail their playoff hopes, it did occur. Probably a good lesson.

At this point, Allar is now QB1 barring an injury. The prep for '23 probably begins tomorrow with winter workouts. The EEs moved in this weekend. The national title game is tomorrow night. Go Frogs!

What about winning? Franklin is obligated to put the best team on the field, every week, regardless. Can Franklin, or any coach, just come out and say "hey, we're not going to make the playoff...youth movement begins now, starting at QB."???

I don't think it's ever been done. At least not during a 6-2 season where the potential for 11-2 exists (and was attained).

The only QB in recent memory who got "meaningful snaps" as many here would define it was JJ McCarthy during Michigan's '21 season. If you compare them to Allar, they are very close in pass attempts, but JJ had a better % completed and more yards the best I remember (didn't relook this up again, but I've checked it before).

What I do know is JJ had a pivotal fumble in the loss to Sparty last year. Probably a key component in losing that game. While it ultimately didn't derail their playoff hopes, it did occur. Probably a good lesson.

At this point, Allar is now QB1 barring an injury. The prep for '23 probably begins tomorrow with winter workouts. The EEs moved in this weekend. The national title game is tomorrow night. Go Frogs!

Yup, I have no problem at all with how Allar was handled by the coaching staff.

After the Ohio State loss, a lot of people were ready to chuck it in and said, what the hey, let's get a look at Allar, what do we have to lose. In fact, honestly, I also expressed the hope that we'd see more of him.

Franklin made it clear, however, that his priority was to win games and he intended to play whatever QB gave him the best chance to do that. The record (11 wins to include the Rose Bowl) will show that Franklin made the right call.

My only point now is that it's not realistic to think Drew is going to be an instant superstar next year. The ride is going to have some bumps in it, and that's alright. I expect the staff will tell Drew, look, it's not all on you...play within yourself and the system...give yourself some time. I just hope most of the fans have that same attitude.

Last edited:
So your post wasn't insulting or questioning those that wanted to see Allar and you still don't comprehend my reply was simply a fact? All you have to do is be honest and there wouldn't be a back and forth but you want to pretend otherwise.

Also the second you claim I'm a troll because I'm not unable to see both sides of things only furthers my point you're looking for an argument. I'll give you one. Just make your case better so it's challenging next time.
No you moron, I simply said that someone raised an interesting point regarding other teams use of backup QB’s. I never jumped on board in agreement only that it was a different way of viewing our perception of how and how much Allar was utilized. And off you went to the races with stupidity with playoff nonsense ( and that’s your opinion and I doubted it’s veracity). Then not only am I insulting other posters and the hallowed scribes of the board but I’m utilizing a third party to enable my original simple observation. The only person I’ve insulted is you, and it’s well deserved.

Once again read remarks if you can with clarity. I never said you were a troll because you can’t see both sides of an issue. Nope never said it. You’re a troll because you’re a self righteous, self important argumentative nitwit. And by the way I just said that for the first time, but probably not the last.

I just hope most of the fans have that same attitude.

You can hope in one hand and shìt in the other... 🤣

Jokes aside, the first 3 and out: "Franklin let CV go!" The first turnover: "Franklin picked the wrong QB again." The first loss: "I think it's time to bench Allar and see what Pribula or Smolik has."

It's just part of Fandom for some.

Reactions: Jerry

I didn't say it was opinion. I said it was the difference. Go Dawgs! Sorry I hope Smart wins every year we don't lol

No you moron, I simply said that someone raised an interesting point regarding other teams use of backup QB’s. I never jumped on board in agreement only that it was a different way of viewing our perception of how and how much Allar was utilized. And off you went to the races with stupidity with playoff nonsense ( and that’s your opinion and I doubted it’s veracity). Then not only am I insulting other posters and the hallowed scribes of the board but I’m utilizing a third party to enable my original simple observation. The only person I’ve insulted is you, and it’s well deserved.

Once again read remarks if you can with clarity. I never said you were a troll because you can’t see both sides of an issue. Nope never said it. You’re a troll because you’re a self righteous, self important argumentative nitwit. And by the way I just said that for the first time, but probably not the last.
Still not owning it. Classic.

You’re a treat to joust with. Let’s have some more um, ah, duh, gosh you’re making points and not buying evasive nonsense. Chill out dumbo, I’m done for the night. But I’m certain the future holds many amusing Algonquin Table moments for me with you.
We all know what your intent was yet. Words matter. You can continually to personally attack me all you want. It doesn't phase me. Next time just own what you're doing so I don't have to call you out.

We all know what your intent was yet. Words matter. You can continually to personally attack me all you want. It doesn't phase me. Next time just own what you're doing so I don't have to call you out.
Oh I’m soooooooooo called out. I quake in fear of your brilliant repartees. Anyway you can have the last word tonight because that’s the juvenile thing to do. I’m sure we’ll have many more conversations. Good night 🧁.

2023 schedule-
WVU
Delaware
@ Illinois
Iowa
@ Northwestern
UMass
@ Ohio State
Indiana
@ Maryland
Michigan
Rutgers
@ Michigan State
Iowa's starting QB will be former Michigan starter Cade McNamara.

I think we should all take a deep breadth and realize that as much as Clifford was inconsistent in his PSU career, this year he won several games for us including Purdue and Utah with veteran leadership. I think we'll be a top 15 team in 2023 but I will not be surprised if we lose a game or two because of Allar making rookie mistakes against well coached opposition... like Illinois or Iowa.

I think we should all take a deep breadth and realize that as much as Clifford was inconsistent in his PSU career, this year he won several games for us including Purdue and Utah with veteran leadership. I think we'll be a top 15 team in 2023 but I will not be surprised if we lose a game or two because of Allar making rookie mistakes against well coached opposition... like Illinois or Iowa.
We are going to need to play our best game and get some breaks. This is a NY6 that could ugly. We have to be the least impressive 10 win team to play in the Rose Bowl
You tend to be a pessimist.

Oh I’m soooooooooo called out. I quake in fear of your brilliant repartees. Anyway you can have the last word tonight because that’s the juvenile thing to do. I’m sure we’ll have many more conversations. Good night 🧁.
He's a troll who has kept up the act after the others left.

Reactions: tlbakernc

At this point no one really knows how Allar will do. However, remember that Clifford won 11 games as a first year starter.

Allar will have a much better OLine and close to just as good running back room. (Cliff had Barkley and Sanders) The big Question mark will be wide receiver.
Allar should also have a pretty good Defense to rely on if they can solve the DT questions.

Last edited:
Cliff had Barkley and Sanders

Cliff was at State awhile, but his 1st year starting our RB room was young and inexperienced.

Ricky Slade was the predicted starter, but he was a true sophomore with under 50 carrys to date.
Journey Brown had even less carrys to his name.
Noah Cain and Devyn Ford were true freshman.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Cliff was at State awhile, but his 1st year starting our RB room was young and inexperienced.

Ricky Slade was the predicted starter, but he was a true sophomore with under 50 carrys to date.
Journey Brown had even less carrys to his name.
Noah Cain and Devyn Ford were true freshman.
You are correct, don’t know what I was thinking. This makes Clifford’s accomplishment even more impressive and bodes well for Allar because he should have a much better running game.

Reactions: lazydave841
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT