ADVERTISEMENT

Joel Klatt on Rose Bowl and Penn State going forward

Iowa's starting QB will be former Michigan starter Cade McNamara.

I think we should all take a deep breadth and realize that as much as Clifford was inconsistent in his PSU career, this year he won several games for us including Purdue and Utah with veteran leadership. I think we'll be a top 15 team in 2023 but I will not be surprised if we lose a game or two because of Allar making rookie mistakes against well coached opposition... like Illinois or Iowa.
Thanks. I forgot he was at Iowa now.

Totally agree about Allar next year. It’s why I wished he had some more playing time this year in some of the games.

IMO the key to a good start next year is if PSU can have its O line and running game in sync early on. If they can control the offense where Allar only has to do “just enough” to win while he’s on the learning curve then PSU has a chance to do well. If more of the burden falls on Allar because PSU can’t run, then I think games like WVU, Iowa, Illinois etc will be more in doubt with potential losses.

Thanks. I forgot he was at Iowa now.

Totally agree about Allar next year. It’s why I wished he had some more playing time this year in some of the games.

IMO the key to a good start next year is if PSU can have its O line and running game in sync early on. If they can control the offense where Allar only has to do “just enough” to win while he’s on the learning curve then PSU has a chance to do well. If more of the burden falls on Allar because PSU can’t run, then I think games like WVU, Iowa, Illinois etc will be more in doubt with potential losses.
Agree...coming into this year, we had a very senior QB to run things with an iffy but improving OL and a very young RB room. RB is now a serious strength and the OL looks really good. We should have a very serious ground game which should lower the effectiveness of the defending pass rush. I also thought our WR corp, and TEs, are in pretty good shape regardless of portal activity (assuming nobody portals out).

My biggest concern, at this point, are the DTs and our run defense.

Reactions: psu00
You are correct, don’t know what I was thinking. This makes Clifford’s accomplishment even more impressive and bodes well for Allar because he should have a much better running game.
Cliff arguably had a good receiving group with Hamler, Dotson and Freiermuth that year, Allar’s group remains to be seen. KLS seems to have improved. Hopefully Theo will return, but Allar will need others to step up. Cliff seemed to focus in on favorite receivers, hopefully Allar will see the whole field and spread it around a bit better.

Reactions: lazydave841
I like the schedule. A reasonable challenge (WVU ~= Auburn), a week to fix some things, then two tough defensive teams. If the hope is that Allar is able to run the offense and play at a high level next season, that's a good level of challenge but nothing impossible.

Then NW away (which could be tough; NW has been bad for 3-4 seasons but they're overdue for a bounce back), Umass the week before Ohio State, Maryland the week before Michigan, Rutgers the week before Sparty.

Assuming PSU wins all the games it's supposed to, the season rests on being able physically stand up to Ohio State and Michigan, and at least there's not an Iowa or Wisconsin type slugfest the week before those games.

2023 schedule-
WVU
Delaware
@ Illinois
Iowa
@ Northwestern
UMass
@ Ohio State
Indiana
@ Maryland
Michigan
Rutgers
@ Michigan State

The WVU game has some unknowns. PSU will be favored but it’s the first game of the season when teams often aren’t in sync yet and will be starting a new QB.

Iowa is an odd team. Their D appears pretty good but their O was pathetic this year. I don’t know who they have coming back but luckily that game is at home.

I could see the team 6-0 going into the Ohio State game, (if all goes as expected). In Columbus, with a new QB, in his first hostile environment…….

IMO the real season changing game is Michigan. It’s game 10 where the team should be more cohesive and at home. That’s the must win game if the team wants to have any chance to be in the playoff, (and no dropping a game they should win like Illinois a few years ago).

2023 schedule-
WVU
Delaware
@ Illinois
Iowa
@ Northwestern
UMass
@ Ohio State
Indiana
@ Maryland
Michigan
Rutgers
@ Michigan State
That's one of the better schedules Penn State has had for making a run at a special season since joining the Big Ten. It reminds me a bit of the schedules that Joe would set up in the 1980's, where there are tough games, but not back to back.

You tend to be a pessimist.
Fair enough. I am just trying to be realistic. The team's performance in the Rose Bowl was very refreshing and not something we had seen often over the past three seasons especially against quality opposition. If we win all the marbles or even make the playoffs next year I won't be complaining but that is a big ask of a first year QB no matter how good they are. Can it happen? Yes. Is it likely?... you answer that part.

ADVERTISEMENT