ADVERTISEMENT

Joey Porter won't play in the bowl game

Beating or losing to Arkansas mattered in what meaningful way? Hence no impact.
One could argue that NO game matters in any meaningful way. Be that a regular season game, a conference championship game, or a national championship game. But it would be a stupid argument. Kind of like yours....

There are tons of people that have zero interest in college football or sports where all of this is 100% meaningless. But it's not to the players, coaches, and fans. I'm a fan of college football. So this stuff matters to me. Obviously you are not. That's ok. Go to an art show, a pride parade, a cooking class...whatever you like to do. I will continue to care about these games along with fellow college football fans.

Reactions: bdgan and royboy
Porter might not and according to the current rules that's his choice.
Other players do. Why else would any of them play in the bowl game?
Most fans do. Why would we have all the discussion about what bowl game we get?
I think it matters what customers think. I'm a customer and I think the NCAA is screwing things up.
Of course it has an impact on the team. Don't you think PSU missed Dotson & Ebiketie vs Arkansas?

Different people have different risk tolerances?

You're being intentionally obtuse.

Different people have different risk tolerances?

You're being intentionally obtuse.
Or maybe they actually......LIKE FOOTBALL???

It's like the discussion that Herbstreit and Desmond Howard had about this issue last year, that they were hilariously criticized for. They were saying that they couldn't IMAGINE ever deciding to sit out a bowl game, and they concluded that the kids these days just don't have the same love for the game. And I think they are 100% correct. Then you mix in the fact that by sitting out these games not only are they not a target for criticism, but they are actually PRAISED for doing so by the woke sports media, and you have where we are at now with all this opt-out nonsense.

Last edited:
Reactions: MacNit07
People are amazing.
I mean what would Joey Porter Jr. and his family know about making decisions regarding a career in football? They'd be much better off paying a consulting fee to some guy who's sitting in his basement typing on keyboard who's never played a sport above rec level but really likes watching football and is a HUGE fan.
Forget about all the knowledge accumulated over two generations of football playing and coaching, that dude in his basement in Selins Grove really knows what he's talking about....He has "opinions" and they're powerful ones!

Last edited:

It's like the discussion that Herbstreit and Desmond Howard had about this issue last year, that they were hilariously criticized for. They were saying that they couldn't IMAGINE ever deciding to sit out a bowl game, and they concluded that the kids these days just don't have the same love for the game. And I think they are 100% correct. Then you mix in the fact that by sitting out these games not only are they not a target for criticism, but they are actually PRAISED for doing so by the woke sports media, and you have where we are at now with all this opt-out nonsense.

If I got you Franklin's cell phone number would you call and let him know your thoughts?

It really boils down to this. 10-20 years ago no one would ever have DREAMED of sitting out a bowl game like players do now. And the central reason for this is that people, our society, values, morals, etc. are just way, way worse.
Before BCS, several bowl games were part of the equation to "select" a national championship. So, depending on who went where, who lost and who won...the MNC would be decided as result of what was possibly occurring in several different games, many on Jan 1.

Enter the BCS, and now four teams are decided to compete for the MNC before the bowl games. This puts all non-BCS in a different position, and made them mute in deciding MNC, which was not necessarily always the case before BCS.

Problems with both systems, as we know. I feel we got a taste of what a #1 vs #2 is like with Penn State vs Miami in the 86-87 Fiesta Bowl, making that game so special. The wheels of change here have moved S-L-🐢-W for whatever reason. But we are seeing where it is (finally) headed playoff-wise with yesterdays Rose🌹Bowl announcement.

(Funny, and ironic, that it IS THIS B🌹WL, because of what happened in 1994 and Penn State tied into it...which I think kinda spearheaded the start of BCS.)

One could argue that NO game matters in any meaningful way. Be that a regular season game, a conference championship game, or a national championship game. But it would be a stupid argument. Kind of like yours....

There are tons of people that have zero interest in college football or sports where all of this is 100% meaningless. But it's not to the players, coaches, and fans. I'm a fan of college football. So this stuff matters to me. Obviously you are not. That's ok. Go to an art show, a pride parade, a cooking class...whatever you like to do. I will continue to care about these games along with fellow college football fans.
Explain how a National Championship game has no meaning
The SEC and Big Ten Championship games are truly meaningless this year
I'm a huge fan of college football and can't wait until we go to 12 playoff teams then 16 then 20 then 24. It's long overdue.
You're stuck in the past and aren't adapting to the change like the players, coaches and everyone else has. You're probably still complaining about 1994.
If you think the belief that bowl games are meaningless is a stupid argument you're the fool they rely on to buy tickets

Explain how a National Championship game has no meaning
The SEC and Big Ten Championship games are truly meaningless this year
Imagine typing these two sentences in back to back and thinking you are making some sort of great point. I laughed out loud reading this.

Who said they can't? NFL teams would view that differently though because it's in the middle of a season. Not a bowl game.

I don't understand this mentality that some haven't accepted what the bowls have become. If a kid sits out of a playoff game that's a different story. He's done with school--last classes are before the bowl game. He's preparing for the draft.

Let's be real--like a lot of kids Porter went to school to prepare for the NFL nothing else.
How many games did Micah sit out?

If you think the belief that bowl games are meaningless is a stupid argument you're the fool they rely on to buy tickets
If Penn State plays in the Rose Bowl, will you watch it? Did you watch the Michigan State game? If so, why? What a waste of time!!!!!

Imagine typing these two sentences in back to back and thinking you are making some sort of great point. I laughed out loud reading this.
The playoff makes them meaningless. Georgia and Michigan are in regardless. LSU and Purdue play for pride
How you can't grasp that us frightening

Well, in this BCS and Mythical Championship format, teams have repeatedly been rewarded for sitting out…or not making to their conference championship game…..so why not individuals? Lol.

Reactions: MacNit07
My son has travel soccer playoffs this weekend. If he wins game 1, game 2 is for the championship. If he loses game 1, his team plays the loser of the other semi for a kind of 3rd place game.

I will be sure to inform him that if he loses the semifinal, we will not be returning to the field the next day. For that is a "meaningless game", and he should not waste his time with such pursuits. His teammates will have to go on without him. Hell, I'm sure most of them won't show up either.

Now I'm getting it!

If Penn State plays in the Rose Bowl, will you watch it? Did you watch the Michigan State game? If so, why? What a waste of time!!!!!
See the earlier poster I referenced. You watch it like you do the Blue White game. They're scrimmages

My son has travel soccer playoffs this weekend. If he wins game 1, game 2 is for the championship. If he loses game 1, his team plays the loser of the other semi for a kind of 3rd place game.

I will be sure to inform him that if he loses the semifinal, we will not be returning to the field the next day. For that is a "meaningless game", and he should not waste his time with such pursuits. His teammates will have to go on without him. But I'm sure most of them won't show up either, because they aren't "stuck in the past".
You should so he comprehends the third place game is just to get your sons team to spend more money. If he takes pride in 3rd you're doing a bang up job raising him

COVID excuse
Meaning he didn’t want injury by virus. His choice.

Players sit out. It’s todays environment. Coaches bail before a bowl game since it’s not part of the season. If a player moves on….we can too. They’ve been moving after 3, 4 or 5 years since forever. I’m ok with this. Disappointed selfishly but ok.

You should so he comprehends the third place game is just to get your sons team to spend more money. If he takes pride in 3rd you're doing a bang up job raising him
Guessing you've never played a sport in your life. Would explain your complete ignorance of the concept of athletic pride.

Meaning he didn’t want injury by virus. His choice.

Players sit out. It’s todays environment. Coaches bail before a bowl game since it’s not part of the season. If a player moves on….we can too. They’ve been moving after 3, 4 or 5 years since forever. I’m ok with this. Disappointed selfishly but ok.
Yeah, I'm fine with them sitting out as well--others here are crying about it as though it impacts them

Guessing you've never played a sport in your life. Would explain your complete ignorance of the concept of athletic pride.
I played junior hockey in Canada.
You can play the games for self-improvement and pride. That doesn't make them meaningful in the grand scheme. The objective is to win titles. Nothing less is the goal.
When Penn State lost to Ohio State that officially ended any chance for them to make the playoffs. The final four games had no meaning in the grand scheme of things.
In the future, as the playoff expands, that will chance
Which is why I can't wait for it to hit 24 teams with all conference winners. There's teams currently that never play a meaningful game. And that's absurd.

You can play the games for self-improvement and pride. That doesn't make them meaningful in the grand scheme. The objective is to win titles. Nothing less is the goal.
When Penn State lost to Ohio State that officially ended any chance for them to make the playoffs. The final four games had no meaning in the grand scheme of things.
Which is why I can't wait for it to hit 24 teams with all conference winners. There's teams currently that never play a meaningful game. And that's absurd.
There is one thing in this discussion that is TRULY not meaningful. And that is YOUR definition of meaningful.

The bowl game is meaningful to the players, coaches, and the (actual) fans.

The ultimate point to all of this--why does anyone care if Joey Porter Jr plays in a bowl game. it's his life, his career, his teammates. They can complain. We can't.

There is one thing in this discussion that is TRULY not meaningful. And that is YOUR definition of meaningful.

The bowl game is meaningful to the players, coaches, and the (actual) fans.
It's not--it's that you try to create meaning when it doesn't exist
Winning or losing the bowl game has no impact on college football--none
The only games that matter remaining are USC-Utah, TCU-K State then the 3 playoff games.

Let's clear this up about Harrison Jr "smoking" jpj....

Never happened: Ohio State moved Harrison to the slot and he wasn't even covered by JPJ for a majority of the game.

Just wanted to clear that up for captain jacka$$.

Was the Michigan State game important or relevant? Or the Rutgers game? The Maryland game? Why not sit out all of these?
This is a great point.
As soon as PSU lost to OSU and UM, all the games had no real relevance. PSU was effectively eliminated from any relevant post season.

Hell, Rutgers, UMD, IU, and the entire B1G west were effectively eliminated before the season started. Why play?

This is a great point.
As soon as PSU lost to OSU and UM, all the games had no real relevance. PSU was effectively eliminated from any relevant post season.

Hell, Rutgers, UMD, IU, and the entire B1G west were effectively eliminated before the season started. Why play?
And this is why college football is expanding the playoffs and needs to continue to do so. Well they're doing it for money but this is an added bonus. In 2024 all those games would still be very important for Penn State.

And with that expansion we will see more players sit once their team clinches a berth or fails to be considered. Since there will be 3X more teams involved, the point in the late season where teams can clinch will be a week or two earlier. We most likely will see players opting out of regular late season games as well. I don't consider any of that an improvement over what we have today.

And with that expansion we will see more players sit once their team clinches a berth or fails to be considered. Since there will be 3X more teams involved, the point in the late season where teams can clinch will be a week or two earlier. We most likely will see players opting out of regular late season games as well. I don't consider any of that an improvement over what we have today.
Seeding should matter and hopefully they eventually ditch the bowls and go to home field until the title game. None of Georgia's or Michigan's starters need to play this week. It pointless. They can lose and still win the title

This is a great point.

Because those games aren't happening over a full month after the end of the regular season. Porter is going to be at a training facility someplace warm working on positioning for the draft by the end of next week if he isn't already.

None of you are this dumb. You just want to clutch your pearls.

Bowl games are exhibitions played 4-6 weeks after a teams final game. If the rose bowl was held on 12/10 I bet it'd have far fewer opt outs. The horse trading going on that might put us in the rose bowl over OSU is evidence enough of how the rose bowl views itself.

Reactions: LandoComando
If Penn State plays in the Rose Bowl, it will be by far the biggest game they have played in this season. Without question.

Playing for a Rose Bowl championship!

• Haha
Because those games aren't happening over a full month after the end of the regular season. Porter is going to be at a training facility someplace warm working on positioning for the draft by the end of next week if he isn't already.

Bowl games are exhibitions played 4-6 weeks after a teams final game. If the rose bowl was held on 12/10 I bet it'd have far fewer opt outs. The horse trading going on that might put us in the rose bowl over OSU is evidence enough of how the rose bowl views itself.
Yupp

If Penn State plays in the Rose Bowl, it will be by far the biggest game they have played in this season. Without question.

Michigan and Ohio State were the biggest games by far. The Rose Bowl is the least important arguably. it's just for fun, a nice trip and to get free stuff.

The most important part of a bowl game is the extra practices for next year.

The results will carry far less weight than the OSU or UM results did. It's an artificial matchup dictated by some stuff old suits in Pasadena. If it wasn't OSU would currently be in line. What kind of championship is it when OSU is publicly throwing a little tantrum so they don't have to go to it. It's not all that different from when the US Soccer team schedules a friendly.

no pearl clutching. I clearly said above that we should all view Bowl games as the players do...stupid and worthless. I don't know what you are so upset about....pointing out that players play in a lot of "worthless" games?

• Wow
Reactions: 80lion
ADVERTISEMENT