ADVERTISEMENT

Joey Porter won't play in the bowl game

Onward, upward, and always Li💙nhearted, Joey!
The Lion King GIF by Walt Disney Studios

Again I'll say that this shouldn't be allowed. IMO the "contract" between the school and the player should extend through the entire season which includes the bowl game.

Can you imagine a MLB player who is going to be a free agent telling his coach/team/ owners that he's not going to play in the league championship series?

I don't blame the players. I blame the rules.

Again I'll say that this shouldn't be allowed. IMO the "contract" between the school and the player should extend through the entire season which includes the bowl game.

Can you imagine a MLB player who is going to be a free agent telling his coach/team/ owners that he's not going to play in the league championship series?

Dude. What contract are you talking about? PSU will be fine w/o him. Good luck to the kid.

Reactions: bison13
Again...Joey is already injured. There is NO WAY IN HELL he should play. Smart decision and we are going to be just fine with #3 and #4 at our corners and #8 who is looking better and better out there.

He is a loser. Period. Penn State should sue him to recoup the cost of his scholarship. He is not one of us.
Quite a few posters have already outed you as not a PSU fan. Penn St fans already knew Porter was declaring, is currently recovering from surgery, and are proud of the young man and what he contributed to PSU.

Quite a few posters have already outed you as not a PSU fan. Penn St fans already knew Porter was declaring, is currently recovering from surgery, and are proud of the young man and what he contributed to PSU.
I actually graduated from Penn State, unlike you and most of the slappies here. If you sit out a game you can play in, you are not a Penn Stater. Period.

I actually graduated from Penn State, unlike you and most of the slappies here. If you sit out a game you can play in, you are not a Penn Stater. Period.
Bet I have more PSU degrees than you do. And many have noted that you are not a PSU fan. I wasn't even among the first few to call you out.

Dude. What contract are you talking about? PSU will be fine w/o him. Good luck to the kid.
I put "contract" in quotes for a reason.

A school extends a scholarship offer to a player and the player can either accept or reject that offer. IMO that's a deal where both sides should be committed for the term of the deal.

Reactions: NoBareFeet

Agreed. I think this is total BS.

OK Dr., whatever you say.
Interesting factoid, I was a student at PSU in 3 different decades with grad school coming a full decade after undergrad and then again for fun in a completely different field after retiring. I also took some courses for fun for a couple of years but not for a full degree at another college when I had first retired.

I'm still in my 40s and will probably re-enroll again at some point. I enjoy continuous learning. None of my degrees are thought of as easier fields of study. You would be quite surprised at the full curriculum vitae both in rigor and diversification.

Reactions: bison13
I get why he won't play but going forward since college ball is now pretty much professional with the advent of NIL there should be signed contracts with players that if healthy they play at the discretion of the coach.

Interesting factoid, I was a student at PSU in 3 different decades with grad school coming a full decade after undergrad and then again for fun in a completely different field after retiring. I also took some courses for fun for a couple of years but not for a full degree at another college when I had first retired.

I'm still in my 40s and will probably re-enroll again at some point. I enjoy continuous learning. None of my degrees are thought of as easier fields of study. You would be quite surprised at the full curriculum vitae both in rigor and diversification.
Sorry but I don't believe a word you say. Retired in your 40s but three degrees in three decades? Sorry, your story doesn't pass the sniff test. Try again. If you think about something for more than 10 seconds and it deos'nt make sense...

That is getting to be pretty much normal situation for several people on this board who do not have much self discipline. Stupid is as stupid does.
So true, especially when certain emotionally sensitive people can't handle opinions that don't agree with theirs's. They tend to turn into trolls.

Sorry but I don't believe a word you say. Retired in your 40s but three degrees in three decades? Sorry, your story doesn't pass the sniff test. Try again. If you think about something for more than 10 seconds and it deos'nt make sense...
Don't then. Not of my concern. I have also designed & taught courses and have been a laboratory program director overseeing over 20 instructors at a major university. And I am comfortably retired (with the exception of self-managing a few properties) with several growing income streams from multiple sources.

Just remember, you started this by saying I didn't even graduate from PSU. I was also a varsity athlete but I'm not going to embarrass you further.

Seems we have a long dick contest evolving on here
I actually witnessed one of these at an aptly named "Hosey" in Pottsville, PA.

This was the party AFTER the wedding reception at the local fire house (hence the name).

A college buddy of the groom nicknamed "The Lizard" threw his meat on the table against a high school chum called "Salami."

Lizard appeared to win....but was disqualified for manipulation just prior to the measuring.

You can't unsee some things in life....it was an incredible moment....which would be viral in today's world of cell phones and movie capability. Thankfully this was long ago....

Don't then. Not of my concern. I have also designed & taught courses and have been a laboratory program director overseeing over 20 instructors at a major university. And I am comfortably retired (with the exception of self-managing a few properties) with several growing income streams from multiple sources.

Just remember, you started this by saying I didn't even graduate from PSU. I was also a varsity athlete but I'm not going to embarrass you further.
OP is legit.
Lando is not, however.

Again, we get back to credibility. University faculty simply don't make enough to retire in their forties. I opted for industry where I make a lot more than they do in the academy and I am not retiring in my 40s. So, yeah, I am calling you out. You story doesn't pass the laugh test.

I get why he won't play but going forward since college ball is now pretty much professional with the advent of NIL there should be signed contracts with players that if healthy they play at the discretion of the coach.

Being the coach that forces players to play in bowl games that they don't want to would be a boon for recruiting...

Again, we get back to credibility. University faculty simply don't make enough to retire in their forties. I opted for industry where I make a lot more than they do in the academy and I am not retiring in my 40s. So, yeah, I am calling you out. You story doesn't pass the laugh test.
1. Undergrad paid for by scholarship

2. Over 50% investment ratio upon first well paying job after graduation

3. Aggressive investment philosophy and associated returns

4. Diversification into real estate and still self-managing several properties with positive cash flow plus several properties sold with significant ROI over the years

5. Two additional income streams beyond this as a result of ventures undertaken whereby I had assumed significant personal risk and effort

6. I was also fortunate enough to marry a beautiful woman who had similar philosophy in terms of managing finances. I added this later because it is pretty critical. Plus she made good money before I convinced her to retire with me.

Just because you don't know how to or didn't choose the personal sacrifices to achieve it doesn't mean that it is not possible. I've been retired since my early 40s with the exception of self-managing several properties. I didn't come from money either so you can throw out that retort.

As an aside, there are a number of paths to achieve it. An interesting review of various cohorts from my HS days actually had the guys on our wrestling team (I didn't wrestle at PSU) as the highest percent to become at least millionaires by our 40s. This cohort outperformed AP Calc and physics although a couple of us were in all of the above.

1 guy works for Google and has done quite well. 1 guy started in construction, went to PSU after a couple of years and got a degree then managed construction sites. 1 guy became a navy seal and owns a couple of businesses now. Another who went to our vo tech took over his dad's rinky dink custom counters and cabinets business and grew it pretty good before selling off and retiring to Florida and buying a big a$$ boat to take out. Then there's me. That's 5 of like 14 weight classes that I am fairly certain have achieved a net worth in the millions by their 40s (it's not that much any more).

All had different paths and only one commonality, no quit. These guys all know how to find a way to win and to sacrifice to get there. Some are pretty smart as well. We all make choices in life. Some make better choices for financial success.

Last edited:
Reactions: bourbon n blues

He’s not missing a championship series.

There is no contract that includes indentured servitude.

The bowl games are after a semester ends. He leaves school and not taking anyone’s scholarship money for the spring semester. Done.

I’d like to win a bowl game. Porter literally shuts off passing to a quarter of the defensive side of the ball. So yeah, I want him to play. But…..that’s what I want.

It's closer to players skipping the pro-bowl/all-star game than it is a "league championship series".

College coaches have done it for years, and they have actual contracts.

I've never seen anyone duck their own sick on the internet before, until now. Impressive.

I've never seen anyone duck their own sick on the internet before, until now. Impressive.
The Michigan fan pretending to be a PSU fan while trying to diminish PSU in every post tried to claim that I wasn't even a PSU grad. Then he questioned my response of having multiple PSU degrees. Should I have just sat back while he continued to slander me?

Reactions: bourbon n blues
ADVERTISEMENT