ADVERTISEMENT

John McCain

LafayetteBear

Gold Member
Dec 1, 2009
He just returned to the Senate and cast a vote in favor of the "Motion to Proceed," which led to a 50-50 tie and allowed Mike Pence to cast the tie breaking vote. So this apparently means that all options (the Senate's original ACA rollback, the House's AHCA, or the two year delayed repeal of the ACA) are back on the table and Senate debate (and possible amendments) will now ensue.

The real significance of McCain's appearance, however, was (IMO) in the speech that he gave immediately after his vote. He made a wonderful speech about what an honor it has been for him to serve in the Senate (apparently for 30 years), about the Founders designing the Senate to serve as the more deliberative body of Congress, about the importance of Senate rules in maintaining that tradition, and about how bipartisan compromise should be valued rather than impugned.

I have no doubt that McCain's perspective is now, more than ever, impacted by his personal health and focused on his legacy. But I nevertheless thought it was a great speech. He received a standing ovation for it from all 100 Senators and, although that may perhaps be obligatory given his years of service, his medical condition, and the sympathy with which he is currently viewed, I think his speech merited the reception it got.

The TV coverage then moved to the White House lawn, where Trump came out with the Lebanese president to speak briefly to the media. He thanked McCain for coming back to "cast the tie breaking vote in favor of ,Repeal and Replace," and noted that "it was done without a single Democratic vote." Sad! The Lebanese president was no doubt thrilled.

Reactions: NedFromYork
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News