ADVERTISEMENT

Josh Pate On James Franklin Dealing With Reporter

I didn't think Giger phrased the question very well, but, basically he was asking why not take some shots downfield and let the wr make a play on the ball, which isn't that bad of a question. I think JFs response was due to the way Giger asked the question - which was throw the ball up regardless of coverage.

Last edited:
I didn't think Giger phrased the question very well, but, basically he was asking why not take some shots downfield and let the wr make a play on the ball, which isn't that bad of a question. I think JFs response was due to the way Giger asked the question - which was throw the ball up regardless of coverage.
I really liked the idea where the head coach goes head to head with fans That would be really interesting .

I really liked the idea where the head coach goes head to head with fans That would be really interesting .
The coaches would win every time but it would be fun to watch.

I think Geiger had a decent question in his head about how to get Allar and the offense some confidence on deeper passing routes because while they haven't needed it yet, they might in the future and you'd like to have some confidence before then. I just think he worded it incredibly poorly and James called him out on it which I don't have a problem with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Washingtonlion

I think Geiger had a decent question in his head about how to get Allar and the offense some confidence on deeper passing routes because while they haven't needed it yet, they might in the future and you'd like to have some confidence before then. I just think it worded it incredibly poorly and James called him out on it which I don't have a problem with.
Like Dave Jones, Geiger is a lazy “journalist” at best. CJF response was similar to Joe telling (was it Geiger or Rudel) to go put some clothes on and look professional.

Yeah Giger didnt phrase it correctly. He meant to ask if JF could asses our inability to throw the ball deep.

JF would answer that teams have been protecting against the deep ball against us.

I agree to a point but I still think that at some point you still need to be able to stretch the field. And at the end of the day you need to find a way to make explosive plays, whether it be deep balls, slants, mis-directions, trick plays, or whatever.

I think Geiger had a decent question in his head about how to get Allar and the offense some confidence on deeper passing routes because while they haven't needed it yet, they might in the future and you'd like to have some confidence before then. I just think he worded it incredibly poorly and James called him out on it which I don't have a problem with.
I don't think that Mario Christobal could win explaining how he snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

Reactions: Washingtonlion
Until it becomes a problem, it is not a problem. Kinda simple. Will it be necessary to throw deep? Guess we will find out. I happen to love coaches that mess with reporters who try their darndest to be critical of programs. You can be objective without being critical and that's what reporters are supposed to be. Unless they are coaching the particular team, they don't have a clue of what all is going on. There are two guys I wouldn't have the time of day for and you all know who they are.

Until it becomes a problem, it is not a problem. Kinda simple. Will it be necessary to throw deep? Guess we will find out. I happen to love coaches that mess with reporters who try their darndest to be critical of programs. You can be objective without being critical and that's what reporters are supposed to be. Unless they are coaching the particular team, they don't have a clue of what all is going on. There are two guys I wouldn't have the time of day for and you all know who they are.
The problem comes when a defense doesn't respect the deep ball, and you still refuse to throw deep. Teams will crowd the line, making it harder to run and make short passes. If a defense does this, like in a Cover 0 situation if you never throw a deep ball its going to be a long day, vs. a good defense.

I think JF's response made it clear this is a sensitive subject. Franklin isn't going to answer the question because he doesn't want to confirm, 10 days before Ohio State, that he doesn't have receivers who get open against Ohio State's secondary or beat an Ohio State corner or safety for the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT