ADVERTISEMENT

Just going to say it... what is different?

N&B4PSU

Nov 30, 2009
Florida
we go 7-0 despite Torrance Brown not playing.

then we lose a huge DL on the first play vs osu.

since then? we've been smoked by 2 meh passers.

Hmmmm... what could it be.. what could it be.. what could it be???

we get some more players and depth and we'll be just fine. Any recruit thinking about how they could impact this team... look no further.

we get some more players and depth and we'll be just fine. Any recruit thinking about how they could impact this team... look no further.
That meh OSU passer smoked us big time.

Reactions: PSUoh90
I'm glad it is that simple and nothing else needs corrected. You should call CJF and tell him he's wasting his time with all his other efforts to establish the run game, advance the OL play, get his QB poised and executing the short passing game.... hell, he can take his wife and kids out to dinner every night now.....He will be delighted. Want his number or email id?

OL exposed against better D’s, can’t pressure opposing QB’s.

The quality of opponent was pretty different as well...

The quality of opponent was pretty different as well...[/QUOTE

Really? Still believe the B1G east is superior to the B1G west? I don't. I think that is marketing by the B2 camp in the B1G and it's being disproved on the field of play.

We played three ranked teams in a row, and lost two close ones on the road. The sky isn't falling. When you play teams with a pulse it's tough to win them all. We have a decent shot at a top ten finish and a New Year's Day bowl.

That's a good season for anybody except Alabama. Some of you act like we have 20 #1 finishes - we have 2.

The offense going 0-3 for first downs when they were needed most. That has something major To do with it. Do you think Oklahoma is sitting their saying we scored over 50 on osu and that should be enough? Hell no they scored more. Do you think osu was sitting their losing 52-55 and saying hey we scored 52 points that should be enough. This isn’t fair!!! No they did their best to score the last touchdown. Did our defensive schemes make both qbs look great? Yes. Our offense however had the ball and could have finished both teams off and they didn’t. Good offense and the defense made plenty of plays and turnovers to win but it just didn’t happen.

I think you just need to understand that our 5th year senior class would have included Hackenberg.

Although we are at our scholarship max, we still don't have the older guys to go head to head with ranked teams weeks in a row.

https://bwi.rivals.com/commitments/football/2013

What this team has done is remarkable. But They had a big win (Iowa) then another (Michigan) and then a very tough loss (OSU) and were just worn out.

LdN

I think you just need to understand that our 5th year senior class would have included Hackenberg.

Although we are at our scholarship max, we still don't have the older guys to go head to head with ranked teams weeks in a row.

https://bwi.rivals.com/commitments/football/2013

What this team has done is remarkable. But They had a big win (Iowa) then another (Michigan) and then a very tough loss (OSU) and were just worn out.

LdN

Wasn't the case when Joepa benched the seniors and replaced them with nearly all sophomores in the late 60's. Experience is important, but sometimes ability and/or attitude are more important.

Wasn't the case when Joepa benched the seniors and replaced them with nearly all sophomores in the late 60's. Experience is important, but sometimes ability and/or attitude are more important.

Joe went 5-5 and 8-2-1 in his first two seasons and he had no scholarship limits.

Not comparable.

Our 5th year senior and senior classes... go and look a them

LdN

Reactions: Nitt1300
Joe went 5-5 and 8-2-1 in his first two seasons and he had no scholarship limits.

Not comparable.

LdN
Joe had also recruited all of his players himself, either as the top assistant or as HC

Not comparable.

LdN

You digress and deviate from your premise. The example is absolutely comparable. Your assertion was that in our group of 85 we have backup players without experience. If you replace starters with sophomores and they don't have experience with or without sanctions in place they still have no experience.

Now Joe went 5-5 then 8-2-1 with a 105 man scholarship limit is a good counter point to my argument. Joe had 105 + walk ons to chose from. CJF has 85 + walk ons. So, there. I am handing you a valid argument against my post. lol

Joe had also recruited all of his players himself, either as the top assistant or as HC

So, your saying BOB recruited no good players? More significantly Joe had 105 scholarship players to choose from, not 85. Big difference.

You digress and deviate from your premise. The example is absolutely comparable. Your assertion was that in our group of 85 we have backup players without experience. If you replace starters with sophomores and they don't have experience with or without sanctions in place they still have no experience.

Now Joe went 5-5 then 8-2-1 with a 105 man scholarship limit is a good counter point to my argument. Joe had 105 + walk ons to chose from. CJF has 85 + walk ons. So, there. I am handing you a valid argument against my post. lol
You think there are better, younger players who are not seeing the field?

DE was a concern coming into this year, then we lose Brown & Buchholz. Our other DEs are young but they dont seem to be improving. Kids like Simmons certainly have a way to go. Time will tell.

DT was supposed to be a strength but they only seem average this year. Certainlt not much improvement.

LB is a problem and could be worse next year. DB loses a couple of kids but we have some good replacements, especially if Reid returns healthy.

I'm not sure about coaching. The plan seems to call for a variety of blitzes on 70% of the plays. Lots of changing alignments. This leads to lots of tackles for loss but also giving up lots of big plays. I think most would agree that we shouldn't be allowing so many conversions on 3rd and long.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
The difference has been OSU's and MSU's offensive lines. In the previous games, our defensive lineman and our blitzes were regularly getting to the QBs. This allowed us to really shut down their offenses. That led to turnovers and great field position. When our offense starts with a short field, it is pretty hard to contain.

That meh OSU passer smoked us big time.
lol... my point exactly.

how'd he do against iowa? against OK? he torched us like it was 7 on 7.

no pass rush without the blitz, loss of 2 important cogs on the line that are hampering the effectiveness of our DT's... chain reaction leading to all kinds of ugly.

As to MSU's QB.. time will tell. Mostly I see receivers getting away with murder and the opposition getting hamstrung by ticky-tack calls that enable separation. To his credit, he's making plays that are there for him.. but i'd like to see how he does in a fair fight.

Reactions: Option Bob
Do you think osu is saying we lost by 20 plus to Iowa because we lost bosa? I doubt that is the reason

Do you think osu is saying we lost by 20 plus to Iowa because we lost bosa? I doubt that is the reason
Apples and coconuts.

Losing Bosa is huge but osu has plenty of depth and can withstand it.. they lost because they were all tuckered out and fully believed (as did I and most folks, actually), that they'd lay a gob of points on iowa and smack them silly. They did not come in rested or prepared and it showed.

In our case, we do not have the luxury of losing anyone, let alone 2 big bodies on the line. We simply do not have the depth to compensate, leaving us little option but to risk blitzes which leaves the secondary vulnerable if they don't actually get to the QB. The last couple of OLines have been able to deny pressure and QB's that I think at this point are good not great, torched us.

UM has a pretty stout OL.. but we had that one extra body AND we came in both rested and prepared and our heads were on right. So imo, losing Buchholz (as another large human named Gonzalez phrased it... "just a huge human being") was critical. He's a run stuffer, he has size and length that creates throwing lane issues... and he's going to hold up against big bodies. RB is a mack truck... Toney is a ferrari.

Nuff said.

I'll leave folks with this article about RB from October 12th. Seems our coaches think this kid is pretty damned special and, yeah, not easily replaced.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...-buckholz-defensive-line/stories/201710120145

Reactions: Option Bob
When 46 Costagna is rushing the passer in the 4th quarter you know we are in trouble.

lol... my point exactly.

how'd he do against iowa? against OK? he torched us like it was 7 on 7.

no pass rush without the blitz, loss of 2 important cogs on the line that are hampering the effectiveness of our DT's... chain reaction leading to all kinds of ugly.

As to MSU's QB.. time will tell. Mostly I see receivers getting away with murder and the opposition getting hamstrung by ticky-tack calls that enable separation. To his credit, he's making plays that are there for him.. but i'd like to see how he does in a fair fight.

The one ball he threw to Rison on the sideline was s really nice throw.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT