ADVERTISEMENT

Klatt favors Illinois.

If you listen to what he said, he really gave no reason why he thought IL was better than us on the field. Zero analysis. He’s just throwing it out there. They beat a NE who everyone keeps WANTING to be good….They’re not. Their QB has no interceptions…he threw 4 to us last year….at home. Their best WR is hurt. I’ll pick Illinois anyway.

That 9 OT game, Clifford could barely walk and we had no suitable backup. You cannot compare that game to what they will see in the stadium Saturday night.

How can you pick a decided underdog without any real reason? He’s sounding like Desmond Howard. Just pick Penn State to lose because I don’t like them.

If you listen to what he said, he really gave no reason why he thought IL was better than us on the field. Zero analysis. He’s just throwing it out there. They beat a NE who everyone keeps WANTING to be good….They’re not. Their QB has no interceptions…he threw 4 to us last year….at home. Their best WR is hurt. I’ll pick Illinois anyway.

That 9 OT game, Clifford could barely walk and we had no suitable backup. You cannot compare that game to what they will see in the stadium Saturday night.

How can you pick a decided underdog without any real reason? He’s sounding like Desmond Howard. Just pick Penn State to lose because I don’t like them.
Or because it gets him hits. Kind of like McElroy can't be as dumb as some of his picks indicate.

PSU beat Illinois last season at Illinois with a first year starter at qb, so why would anybody focus on a game that was played in 2021?

PSU beat Illinois last season at Illinois with a first year starter at qb, so why would anybody focus on a game that was played in 2021?

Read the amount of posts on this board this week that reference the '21 overtime loss. It's almost a generational trauma the rate at which its mentioned.

I don't agree with it, but it's very common and extremely worrisome to many here.

Think that was Drew’s first road game, right?
Yes, and it was an average performance, although he had some good moments. He did play on the road against Rutgers in 2022 in a mop up role.

Klatt saw Allar at WVU this season, but I believe that he has been an overlooked player so far. IMO, he is playing like a top qb right now and has gotten better from last season.

I respect Klatt but it appears to be kind of a hunch prediction based largely on IL winning at Lincoln. If he sees matchup problems for PSU he's not really saying.

Just looking at the highlights of that game, three of IL's TDs were NE coverage busts -- wide open receivers in the end zone. Hopefully PSU's secondary is better than that. I do think IL has some big receivers and a decent TE. They'll use that size. PSU will need to have 5 DBs and knock a lot of balls away (and hopefully step in front of some). Tom Arnold at Indiana was good at scheming for interceptions -- PSU will need that this weekend.

Last edited:
I watched most of that Nebraska game and Nebraska outplayed them. Their Fr QB kind of imploded in the 4th quarter and overtime. Nebraska ended up with 89 yards in penalties to ILL's 20. That was a long physical road game and they have another long road game at PSU.

I agree that Altmeyer is a good QB who played really well against us last year and should only be better. They stopped Neb's running game and held them to a total of 48 yards. That caused them to try and protect a lead with a Fr QB and no running game. Then ILL scored first in OT and blized the hell out of the QB. I think they ended the game with a 4th and 42 down. I don't see that happening against us. But they are talented and well coached.

it will be a tough game but I see us winning because I think we are the better team. Klatt never picks them, he seems to say he "likes" them. I take this he means he likes them against the really big spread for people betting the game.

GYa59iKb0AESW9z

Last edited:
Reactions: jjw165
It will be interesting to see the impact that weather has on this game. It hasn’t rained much this fall, but appears to be only an issue when our games occur!

Reactions: bdgan

Did he really pick Illinois? Or did he just say he likes Illinois and it's going to be really tough for PSU?

I respect Klatt but it appears to be kind of a hunch prediction based largely on IL winning at Lincoln. If he sees matchup problems for PSU he's not really saying.

Just looking at the highlights of that game, three of IL's TDs were NE coverage busts -- wide open receivers in the end zone. Hopefully PSU's secondary is better than that. I do think IL has some big receivers and a decent TE. They'll use that size. PSU will need to have 5 DBs and knock a lot of balls away (and hopefully step in front of some). Tom Arnold at Indiana was good at scheming for interceptions -- PSU will need that this weekend.
It would sure help to have Winston. I worry that PSU likes to blitz Reed which leaves us exposed at safety.

Reactions: GregInPitt
This is a prediction that is really no different than the dolts picking WVU over PSU - except this game is at home. No reason for picking WVU unless you invent one, and in this case he didn't even invent one. I honestly used to like Klatt and as an announcer he's fine, but he's pretty much lost me for anything else. PSU will always be everyone's big Upset Special until we start beating the top dogs at least half the time.
I don't think PSU wins by the pointspread, it is interesting the line has been pretty much unchanged, but to call for an upset is really just plain stupid. Both Illinois and Nebraska looked pretty good when they played each other, that much I will say. Not perfect, but bright spots on each team.

Frankly I don't care what Klatt thinks.... This will be PSU's coming out party on the national stage... PSU 38-10 and it won't be that close.
I hope you're right though I'd like a 17 point win better but let's say it's a complete blow out...is that really our coming out party? Will destroying Illinois change perception of us being a great team that can't win big games?

We open with WV and 2 of the 4 fox crew picked WV-we win 34-12. I see WV Kansas and Illinois all as being about the same ( WV beat Kansas at home Illinois beat KU at home we beat WV at their place), Not much more to go on this early in the season. Nonetheless Add's up to approx. 20 point win at home which as of 1/2 hr. ago is where the line is(19.5)

Reactions: GregInPitt
I hope you're right though I'd like a 17 point win better but let's say it's a complete blow out...is that really our coming out party? Will destroying Illinois change perception of us being a great team that can't win big games?
Honestly, Lando I fully understand your point ( ok freely will say love your work), but just win games, it is college football landscape that so wildly different then when Bruce Clark had Thanksgiving dinner in my house.

Reactions: LandoComando

Harris and Wheatley are pretty good sized DB's, and Kimber and Reed are also average sized DB's as well. I'm going with Wheatley to be Saturday's turnover king.....

Would have been great to have Winston, as he really helps shut down the run game as well as is great in coverage. I wonder if we'll see much of Lane in this game, or will Allen choose to go with a couple of the more experienced CB's as the extra DB's instead to avoid any misses in coverage.

Honestly, Lando I fully understand your point ( ok freely will say love your work), but just win games, it is college football landscape that so wildly different then when Bruce Clark had Thanksgiving dinner in my house.
Agreed. Winning is really all that matters these days. I just don't think we change perception unless we beat Ohio State or win a playoff game but I don't care about perception...I'll take a playoff game this year and I'll hope Allar returns

We open with WV and 2 of the 4 fox crew picked WV-we win 34-12. I see WV Kansas and Illinois all as being about the same ( WV beat Kansas at home Illinois beat KU at home we beat WV at their place), Not much more to go on this early in the season. Nonetheless Add's up to approx. 20 point win at home which as of 1/2 hr. ago is where the line is(19.5)
PSU hasn't played a top 100 defense yet. We'll see.

In the first vid he was just talking up Illinois. He didn’t pick them to win. However, it was a very 1 sided analysis of the game. He talked all about Illinois and didn’t talk about PSU.

You have to remember with Klatt- he’s a former Colorado player and all in on Deion. When Nebraska killed the Buffs it became Nebraska is like 1995 in his mind, not Colorado is like Temple. ;) So when Illinois beat Nebby, they now have to be really good too.

Listening to Klatt over the years, I don’t think he’s much of a fan of Penn St. That’s not to say he hates PSU buts he’s sort of “whatever” about PSU until they beat someone in a big game and keep that momentum year to year. He’ll give PSU credit where due after games but he’s rarely ever going to say Penn St wins easily.

Maybe not but you need to start somewhere. This is a ranked opponent, this early in the season who knows if it is legitmate, however, on September 28th Illinois is a top 20 team! We need to look the part of a top 7 team.... I don't think we'll win the Big Ten so we need to be one of the 7 at large teams.... 11-1 we are in, 10-2 maybe, 10-2 with no impressive wins doesn't punch our ticket. Blow this team out, take care of business against UCLA then head out to LA to make sure folks understand we've taken a step.... Alternatively we squeak buy Illinois at home on a Saturday night in front of an amped up crowd, look shaky again next week then get thumped by USC, kiss the playoffs good-bye.... This team has talked about having a chip on their shoulder all season because of their performace in the only games that mattered last year including the Peach Bowl.... I say they are ready to prove what they are.... we'll know soon enough, but to answer your question no until we beat somebody of significance everybody will have their doubts.

Maybe not but you need to start somewhere. This is a ranked opponent, this early in the season who knows if it is legitmate, however, on September 28th Illinois is a top 20 team! We need to look the part of a top 7 team.... I don't think we'll win the Big Ten so we need to be one of the 7 at large teams.... 11-1 we are in, 10-2 maybe, 10-2 with no impressive wins doesn't punch our ticket. Blow this team out, take care of business against UCLA then head out to LA to make sure folks understand we've taken a step.... Alternatively we squeak buy Illinois at home on a Saturday night in front of an amped up crowd, look shaky again next week then get thumped by USC, kiss the playoffs good-bye.... This team has talked about having a chip on their shoulder all season because of their performace in the only games that mattered last year including the Peach Bowl.... I say they are ready to prove what they are.... we'll know soon enough, but to answer your question no until we beat somebody of significance everybody will have their doubts.
You had me until you mentioned the bowl game lol
Other than that I'm onboard.

So far, each game has gone exactly as I thought it would. And yes, I thought we’d struggle with BG. That being said, we won’t struggle with Illinois. Quite the opposite. We will dominate them. 51-17

Reactions: knickslions
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT