ADVERTISEMENT

LADIES & GENTLEMEN: The California drought (link)

those are good pics. Dallas area was like this a few years ago...

I remember a reservoir in Rockwall area where the bottom was in plain sight. You could even see the road on the ground before they damned it up. It had been something close to 20 feet underwater.

Less topography there but the reservoirs are larger size wise.

LdN

I have a cousin who lives in Sacramento, saw her the other week.

She says she and her partner pray for rain every day.

To the best of my understanding, California's screwed long term. They're draining their underground aquifers at an unsustainable rate. People's wells are running dry; how are they going to sell their houses if there's no f'n water? It isn't going to be pretty, and it isn't going to be just in California.

I read somewhere that the last 200, 250 years have been the wettest in the history of the American West, and that for all intents and purposes it's always been a desert other than for the last 200 years. I don't know if this is true, but it looks really bad right now. I'll be dead by the time the chit hits the fan, but that doesn't make me feel much better.

have read the same

simply reverting back to "normal." good news is that nestle apparently has plenty to sell (and with an expired permit, to boot).

feel bad for everyone suffering.

Double the number of people with no additional water

spells disaster. Somebody posted something a few days ago about installing cisterns to capture rainwater that spills from roofs and is funneled into the ocean. I'm not sure if that's a viable solution or not. I don't think they're going to cut the number of people.

Maybe they should be investing in desalination plants...

...instead of medium speed railways no one will ride.

Re: Double the number of people with no additional water

Originally posted by bdgan:
spells disaster. Somebody posted something a few days ago about installing cisterns to capture rainwater that spills from roofs and is funneled into the ocean. I'm not sure if that's a viable solution or not. I don't think they're going to cut the number of people.
Article on rainwater capture...

CA storm water capture article...

Lots of CA Agriculture suffering without enough water ...

governor-brown-saving-water-in-the-bathroom-2.png

This post was edited on 4/16 8:20 PM by T J

Re: Maybe they should be investing in desalination plants...

Originally posted by MtNittany:
...instead of medium speed railways no one will ride.

sbr041415dAPR20150414014517.jpg

Re: Double the number of people with no additional water

91% of all water used in Salinas Valley is used by agriculture. That means about 250,000 people
that live in Salinas Valley(Salinas has over 150,000 itself) use only 9% of all water used. If those 9% are put on rationing
.....to coin a Hillary phrase......"What difference does it make?".

Re: Lots of CA Agriculture suffering without enough water ...

LOL. Almonds are the new cash crop as far as income. Grapes are still first on a revenue basis but my money is on almonds for net income.

Re: Maybe they should be investing in desalination plants...

Environmentalists block desal at every turn. Salinity issue of course. What do you do with salt.

Watch Monterey and the courts, it will be a bell weather for CA as a whole. the spigot gets turned off next year for the peninsula.

Ag is going to deplete the groundwater in most of California in 4-5 years. I've seen online someone from Stanford said if it stops raining in California they'll just move to desalination as a last resort and farming will go away. Water bills will just be pretty high.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT