ADVERTISEMENT

Lawmakers mark Juneteenth with talk of ‘abolition amendment’ (link)

Cosmos

May 29, 2001
Jorge Renaud, national criminal justice director for LatinoJustice and a parolee, said those punishments happened to him when he couldn't get through some jobs. He spent much of his 27 years in Texas state prisons doing hard labor like picking cotton, chopping down trees and grading roads. Texas does not pay jailed workers.

For Renaud, 64, what was worse than no pay was not having much sense of self-worth.

“It’s not just the choice to work. It’s the choice to do anything,” he said. “We live in a country that prides itself on individuality. ... It’s impressed upon you over and over again that you are worthless and you belong to the state.”

Well, I say in order to justify exempting felons from forced labor, specifically black felons, we must first reconstitute Jim Crow laws and the "black codes." For without the predicate what's the point of amending No. 13?? I think I'll put MTG on it. She's one of the few Republicans with any "balls."

And to Jorge Renaud I say we are not a country that prides itself on individuality. Ask any Critical Race Theorist.

I thank you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.