ADVERTISEMENT

Lehigh lead up

GogglesPaizano

Feb 6, 2018
I have 3 matches for some extra focus.

The match of the meet IMO would be running Levi out against Josh Humphreys. I just think there is much more to reveal than going with the Claw on this one. Sure it would be a great test for Barraclough, but I personally think he would be tested to keep it under a 5-6 point decision. 'If' Levi could eke out a 1-2 pointer here then it would serve as a huge validation point he is ready. Conversely, of he gets horsed around then the case for a shirt is pretty strong. I hope we get to see one of Levi's 5 dates burned this week.

Next up if course is Dean vs Beard. I give Dean at least 4 point victory. I really don't see Beard having a 3rd period tank this early in the season and Dean looks like a man on a mission.

I would also love to see Steen keep it close into the 3rd with Carter, where he might be able to grab one. I don't see Steen as a blood round guy but these are the kind of matches that can give us hope.

Reactions: Str8DBLz

The match of the meet IMO would be running Levi out against Josh Humphreys. I just think there is much more to reveal than going with the Claw on this one. Sure it would be a great test for Barraclough, but I personally think he would be tested to keep it under a 5-6 point decision. 'If' Levi could eke out a 1-2 pointer here then it would serve as a huge validation point he is ready. Conversely, of he gets horsed around then the case for a shirt is pretty strong. I hope we get to see one of Levi's 5 dates burned this week.

Next up if course is Dean vs Beard. I give Dean at least 4 point victory. I really don't see Beard having a 3rd period tank this early in the season and Dean looks like a man on a mission.

I would also love to see Steen keep it close into the 3rd with Carter, where he might be able to grab one. I don't see Steen as a blood round guy but these are the kind of matches that can give us hope.
I thought it was only 4 dates, and he already used 2 with the 2 opens.

I’d love to see Levi vs Humphreys. I don’t even think he’d have to win to show he’s “ready”, IMO, just a close match in which he isn’t horsed around. That said, I think we see Claw.

Beard should by pumped up for this one. I could see an adrenaline dump later in the match. I’ll say Dean by 2-3 points.

Don’t know much about Carter Bailey. Would be great to see Steen pull the upset, though my expectations are tempered.

have you seen beard wrestle this year? Max is fine.
As I said, I 100% think Max will win, I was just thinking of possible responses to possibilities.

I will say again, MAX WILL WIN! But imagine, if you will, a world where....

I think Max will win but ask Hoffman what its like wrestling Beard when he has something too prove.

I think it was Hoffman anyway lol.

Reactions: mcpat
I thought it was only 4 dates, and he already used 2 with the 2 opens.
A quote from a Flo article on the topic: The biggest changes for next year will impact true freshmen. These first-year student-athletes will be allowed to compete attached in 5 competitions throughout the year and will still be eligible to redshirt.

Do you think Cael is considering pulling Levi's shirt at all? Would beating Humphreys (if he can do it) be enough to make him consider it?

Do you think Cael is considering pulling Levi's shirt at all? Would beating Humphreys (if he can do it) be enough to make him consider it?
Personally, I do not. I think the only thing that changes the plan are injuries at his weight or multiples at other weights. With the points at 133, 174, 184, 197, and 285 add in what you get at 141, 149, and 165 and I think they feel good with TB at 157.

Cael has already said in an interview that they are not sure what they’re gonna do about Levi shirting. Levi came to State College a year early and if Levi wants to wrestle AND is our best option at 157, then I could see Cael letting him wrestle. It really could go either way.

Yes, if cael thinks he needs points at the nationals and Haines could give him more than claw. Also Van Ness and facundo progress will have and impact on Haines getting his shirt pulled.

As I said, I 100% think Max will win, I was just thinking of possible responses to possibilities.

I will say again, MAX WILL WIN! But imagine, if you will, a world where....

Yeah. but in that world - Beard still wrestles for Lehigh.

I can see Michael amping himself up and getting a lead on Max and Max methodically winning when Michael is tired. Michael can hammer people on top but I don’t think I’ve seen Max ever caught on bottom in his career for a long period of time. If Michael gets tired though and Max gets on top, they would be interesting.

Michael Beard is an All-American and can go neutral with anyone. I think Dean wins but anything can happen. Dean has a big advantage on top and I’m guessing the game plan for Beard will be to not end up on bottom.

Last edited:
Michael Beard is an All-American and can go neutral with anyone. I think Dean wins but anything can happen. Dean has a big advantage on top and I’m guessing the game plan for Beard will be to not end up on bottom.
Beard will have to display a more diverse offensive attack then the one he displayed against Bonaccorsi, 2 half shots, if he hopes to have any kind of chance.

My guess is the PSU staff will have a practiced plan on how Dean needs to attack Beard. Come the third period and each kid's gas tank the separation will be obvious.

Let’s make this the word of the day.
nope-no.gif

Beard will have to display a more diverse offensive attack then the one he displayed against Bonaccorsi, 2 half shots, if he hopes to have any kind of chance.

My guess is the PSU staff will have a practiced plan on how Dean needs to attack Beard. Come the third period and each kid's gas tank a the separation will be obvious.
I don’t think that last paragraph is a thing for this staff in December. You send Max out there to be Max, and if an adjustment needs to be made for a March matchup, you form it over three months. This being a thing for other teams is what holds them back, IMO.

I don’t think that last paragraph is a thing for this staff in December. You send Max out there to be Max, and if an adjustment needs to be made for a March matchup, you form it over three months. This being a thing for other teams is what holds them back, IMO.
If you think this staff hasn't pointed out and spent time on how to attack Beard's weaknesses, well OK.

I really don’t think they spend an inordinate amount of time on it, particularly when the two guys were in the same room.
It is an interesting dynamic. I assume when on the same team the coaches do not game plan one to beat another, so Max had to do it himself. Now he has the coaches behind him and offering game plans.

Reactions: nitlion6
ADVERTISEMENT