ADVERTISEMENT

Levi Haines...."it's what we do".

A couple of other comments were interesting. Cael said that Greg was really close on a couple of shots, so just some minor adjustments are necessary and he's OK. Typical Cael speak, but in this case I presume he's right. Our coaching staff has done such an incredible job with those sorts of adjustments that you have to presume that the next Kerkvliet/Parris match will look considerably different.

He also praised Bartlett and said that he's not really a big 141 pounder, which most of us already knew. Bartlett has teased before that he could wrestle 133. I expect that he's right where he belongs now and hopefully he's going to continue to impress.

He also praised Bartlett and said that he's not really a big 141 pounder, which most of us already knew. Bartlett has teased before that he could wrestle 133. I expect that he's right where he belongs now and hopefully he's going to continue to impress.
Or, we can start the speculation now for next year Beau going 133 and Evans starting at 141, lol.

A couple of other comments were interesting. Cael said that Greg was really close on a couple of shots, so just some minor adjustments are necessary and he's OK. Typical Cael speak, but in this case I presume he's right. Our coaching staff has done such an incredible job with those sorts of adjustments that you have to presume that the next Kerkvliet/Parris match will look considerably different.

Beau to 133 next year? A possibility?

Very nice match from Haines last night. I had Lewan by decision merely on veteran savvy, to be avenged in March by a sponge-like Haines. But I think Haines has already absorbed more than any true frosh I recall seeing by mid-January. His mat IQ, calmness, and stinginess were unreal for a guy at this point in his career. While his physical skills were certainly prerequisite to success last night, it was his mind that put him over the top.
“Eggsellent”

200w.gif

Levi is pretty much a lock to get the 2 seed at B1Gs if he wins against Iowa (which he should)

Levi is pretty much a lock to get the 2 seed at B1Gs if he wins against Iowa (which he should)
We don't wrestle Nebraska or Purdue so I don't see him as a lock for #2 at BIGs unless he wins out and he has a few tough matches yet to go.

Very impressed with Levi's strength. Felt like that was his issue in vegas last year but he has certainly gotten stronger. This kid is going to become a beast!

If Haines wins out, he'll be the 2 seed at B10s. He and Robb would be the only wrestlers undefeated in conference matches (assuming Robb beats Carr).

Saldate, Gallagher, Gilcher, and North are potential bumps in the road. Haines should beat them all, but none is a given.

I think also ,ok Greg this match really doesn't mean much so don't show him anything.

Saldate is really tough. I’m hoping we don’t see a letdown after a huge win last night. Gilcher and Gallagher are both tough outs as well. Guys he should beat but that he can’t take lightly

Who would wrestle for you guys if Haines didn’t go? Just wondering/considering Hall/Nickal shirts and 4-time scenarios…. Idk true frosh going is impressive but makes you wonder- and I get wanting only 4 years on an individual level vs. 5 years of school.

Who would wrestle for you guys if Haines didn’t go? Just wondering/considering Hall/Nickal shirts and 4-time scenarios…. Idk true frosh going is impressive but makes you wonder- and I get wanting only 4 years on an individual level vs. 5 years of school.
I’m not part of the “you” but the answer is Barraclough.

Reactions: mcpat
I said before but I think Levi skipping senior year to train with NLWC was a pretty telling sign he wanted to go this year.

People talk about maximizing his potential across 4 NCAAs with a redshirt but when Levi committed, he thought he'd be at a weight (174/184) that overlapped with Starocci/Brooks for at least a year so I'm not sure that's his #1 concern.

Reactions: Ski
I said before but I think Levi skipping senior year to train with NLWC was a pretty telling sign he wanted to go this year.

People talk about maximizing his potential across 4 NCAAs with a redshirt but when Levi committed, he thought he'd be at a weight (174/184) that overlapped with Starocci/Brooks for at least a year so I'm not sure that's his #1 concern.
I’m not criticizing and like I said 4 years of college as an undergrad was enough for me to handle and I wasn’t involved in a very difficult sport at a high level program- I understand the draw of keeping it simple.

I’m not criticizing and like I said 4 years of college as an undergrad was enough for me to handle and I wasn’t involved in a very difficult sport at a high level program- I understand the draw of keeping it simple.
Didn't think you were, just was answering your question.

I think every situation is unique.

For example 2015, was a perfect storm where Cael felt Zain needed to bulk, Nico needed to rest and it worked perfectly to redshirt everyone else (Nolf, Nickal, Nevills). 2017 I know people said he preferred to redshirt Mark but Mark pushed to go, might be the case with Levi here. Similarly, 2019 we didn't really need RBY but wrestled him anyways (I think RBY needed some structure with making weight)

This year, I think it's a case where Cael mentioned, for future lineups, it makes sense to just have Levi's redshirt available. He won't be 157 much longer in all likelihood. Never hurts to have another weapon in March also.

maybe Beau will go 133 next yr and did Kerk forget how he beat Parris last yr?

No, just don't empty the tool box.

IDK. They had wrestled 4 times previously before last night, so I am not sure what Kerk would be trying to hide. If you don't want to show anything to Parris in a dual that was already decided well before that match, then you would throw Nevills out there. If you go, you typically wrestle to win unless there is something specific that you want to work on. For example, if you are weak on bottom you take bottom against a rider in a regular season match to work on that, but in the big tournament you would probably choose neutral.

Reactions: Grass

I think skipping senior year of HS will get much more common. It probably has some similarities to taking a red shirt as far as development. Haines to me doesn’t wrestle like a freshman.

Zero chance Beau goes 133 next year. Do you think this is Stillwater?
I think saying “zero chance” is strong language to use. And by many accounts (even Cael himself) Beau isn’t a big 141 lber. So saying zero chance he goes 141 is just not based on fact unless you have talked to Beau himself and he’s told you that. There are many reasons he has wrestled where he has the past 3 years. It’s called several national championships at 133 and 141 ahead of him. And I can guarantee you that if RBY and Lee would have bumped up a weight last year then he would have been the starting 133 lber. This is nothing to do with Stillwater. Levi is struggling to make 157 by many accounts and it is a big cut. It’s just the way the sport goes. Kids dream of wrestling for a national title. If Beau feels his best shot at that is at 133 (especially with the top guys leaving) then that is where he will be. Again, I’m not saying it happens. But it’s not even close to out of the possibility.

I have thought since Levi started wrestling this year that if he had success that they would pull his redshirt. The 2 reasons being;
1. He might only be making 157 this year which gave him an opportunity to step in on an open situation and better the team.
2. The recruiting model and possible line up moves saving his redshirt gives some flexibility to Cael and staff to use his shirt to help with the potential log jam. If he's going up a weight that might be the opportunity to sit him out. Similar to what they did with Zain.
Question to the knowing. If a kid wrestles his true freshman year, does the red shirt rule of 5 matches still exist in a future year for that kid?

ADVERTISEMENT