ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Live Thread: Penn State vs. Ohio State

Jordan's right shoulder was about 2 inches from the mat; it wasn't a pin. Though it probably was just a matter of time.
One of my best friends and former coaching partners (D2 Hof and big 10 ref evaluator ) used to tell his freshmen that if you are turned to your back and held there with authority, most college refs will call the fall even with the blades nowhere near the mat. No whining about it, you shouldn't have let yourself get into that predicament

This is bizarre. Manville was a stud in HS and seems to have completely forgot how to wrestle folkstyle.
A few questions over the past few months have been answered on MM. Does he provide a tough practice partner for Carter? No. Can he make 165 or 157? Most definitely, just doesn’t matter.

Just got home (Butler County) at 3:05 am from the match. The wife awoke and asked what took so long and I pointed out three matches went into overtime.

Then I realized that this women raised two wrestler and attended hundreds upon hundreds of matches.

Then I told her I got thirsty while on campus. At the watering hole I had the privilege to meet some of the best posters on this forum. It was worth the late bedtime.

Great night of wrestling and meeting wrestling fans.

When I left the bar I had a better appreciation of ELO in rankings and somehow my new dog had a lawyer on retainer.

This forum has some good folks.

Night all!

I'm calling it. How. Beau makes a run at bigs and nationals this year he is right there I think Cael gets him there
Doesn't show enough offense. He's afraid to commit. He had chance to hit Sasso on single leg in 3rd but pulled back. It is typical of a kid wrestling up a weight that doesn't want to get under a kid by not able to finish his shot. His defense is fantastic and he's very smart on mat. Sometimes being smart hinders the ability to commit to scoring. He needs to be more like Nolf, who at times would just wrestle through a aggressive mistake he made.

One more thing, Cresson mountain must hate me. It trys to kill me everytime I pass through. Does it snow there in the summer?
It’s a different world up there. You can be ten minutes away and have no snow only to be in a whiteout before you know it.

Reactions: Hotshoe
What was Ryan challenging in the Dean match last night? My guess is that he was looking for an escape/td but with no continuation that can’t be awarded. He could have cost his guy the match in regulation. What am I missing here?

Just got home (Butler County) at 3:05 am from the match. The wife awoke and asked what took so long and I pointed out three matches went into overtime.

Then I realized that this women raised two wrestler and attended hundreds upon hundreds of matches.

Then I told her I got thirsty while on campus. At the watering hole I had the privilege to meet some of the best posters on this forum. It was worth the late bedtime.

Great night of wrestling and meeting wrestling fans.

When I left the bar I had a better appreciation of ELO in rankings and somehow my new dog had a lawyer on retainer.

This forum has some good folks.

Night all!
Reminds me of when my ex used to dip into my wallet after I passed out after a night at The Mouse Trap. She would buy the girls lunch the next day. She fessed up and yes, I never caught on.

What was Ryan challenging in the Dean match last night? My guess is that he was looking for an escape/td but with no continuation that can’t be awarded. He could have cost his guy the match in regulation. What am I missing here?
Yeah, he wanted the 1 for escape + 2 for takedown rather than the called reversal

Basically, it wouldn't be an official dual meet with the Buckeyes if Ryan didn't bitch about something

I didn’t even think about that, but you’re absolutely right! 😝. What a gaffe that would have been.

Really fun night—I think I may have turned my brother inlaw into a wrestling fan, at least a little. And it was great meeting some of you guys. It was especially soothing to hear @82bordeaux ’s wife call us wrestling nerds—something my own wife does with regularity.

I thought the ref did a good job.
Brooks match he made a few mistakes, not sure the fall was there when he called it.

if I was Ryan I would have challenged it too.

I thought the ref did a good job.
Brooks match he made a few mistakes, not sure the fall was there when he called it.

if I was Ryan I would have challenged it too.

You can't review the actual fall call, though.

"Art. 4. Description. Mat-side video review may be used to confirm or reverse any call or non-call made on the mat by the official, except a fall."

You can challenge if they were out of bounds/timing/etc, but not the actual "both shoulders on the mat" call.

Respectfully disagree. Didn’t see any gas tank issue. Would have liked to see him go for it more on his feet, sure, but sometimes you tip the cap to the other guy.
Did you see Beau wave Cody off at the start of the third period? Cody signaled, what everyone in the BJC thought he should do, which was choose neutral. Beau "objected", Cody relented and left it to him...

Reactions: NittanyChris
Doesn't show enough offense. He's afraid to commit. He had chance to hit Sasso on single leg in 3rd but pulled back. It is typical of a kid wrestling up a weight that doesn't want to get under a kid by not able to finish his shot. His defense is fantastic and he's very smart on mat. Sometimes being smart hinders the ability to commit to scoring. He needs to be more like Nolf, who at times would just wrestle through a aggressive mistake he made.
Yeah Sasso 😃

Yes. That was it. Heard firsthand.

But in reality a lunger.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4INSBU and Skoal117
One more thing, Cresson mountain must hate me. It trys to kill me everytime I pass through. Does it snow there in the summer?
I live 3 miles from the Summit Exit and close to the same elevation. As someone who lives on that armpit of the earth, I can tell you its not just you.

It snowed here in May not too long ago.

By the way, if anyone traveling along here ever needs help, hit me up on here. If i see it, ill do what i can to help. Bad shit happens on this hill. And not just in the winter.

I live 3 miles from the Summit Exit and close to the same elevation. As someone who lives on that armpit of the earth, I can tell you its not just you.

It snowed here in May not too long ago.

By the way, if anyone traveling along here ever needs help, hit me up on here. If i see it, ill do what i can to help. Bad shit happens on this hill. And not just in the winter.
I travel up and down there a few times a week. It’s like the Bermuda Triangle at times. Lol

The difference between Sasso and BB is one wins close matches and the other loses close matches. I think Beau is very good , I just think he's up one weight which is preventing him from being comfortable in his offense.
Being a weight up doesn't prevent you from attacking. It might not prevent from losses, but not the offense really. Case in point: Rivera vs Micic in 2019.

ADVERTISEMENT