ADVERTISEMENT

Looking for a Restaurant in Philly near the Convention Center.

katchthis

Sep 3, 2004
Going to go down for the Flower show on a Tuesday or Wednesday in March. Looking for something more casual but good food. I haven't been to Double Knot ( I know Jethro was a Double Knot spy, so it has that going for them. But I thought that looked interesting. Has anyone been there ? Taking two teenagers along:rolleyes:, so that always makes it interesting. Any suggestions ?
http://www.doubleknotphilly.com/

You are near the Chinatown section of Philadelphia So, plenty of options there. Penang got good reviews.

Field house is like a Chammps in State College - fairly casual and sports related.
El Vez is a couple of blocks away - been there a few times

Reactions: katchthis
El Vez is amazing Mexican. Bud and Marilyn's is awesome comfort food; their fried chicken and house hot sauce is really delicious. Barbuzzo is owned by the same people but I'm not sure if that is a little more sophisticated than you are looking for. People are saying good things about the new bbq place Tradesman. Sampan is modern asian right there that is great but pricier. Smoking Bettys is a few blocks away and is good BBQ and burgers.

You're right in an area of great restaurants.

Going to go down for the Flower show on a Tuesday or Wednesday in March. Looking for something more casual but good food. I haven't been to Double Knot ( I know Jethro was a Double Knot spy, so it has that going for them. But I thought that looked interesting. Has anyone been there ? Taking two teenagers along:rolleyes:, so that always makes it interesting. Any suggestions ?
The Reading Terminal Market is a pretty fantastic option.

El Vez is amazing Mexican. Bud and Marilyn's is awesome comfort food; their fried chicken and house hot sauce is really delicious. Barbuzzo is owned by the same people but I'm not sure if that is a little more sophisticated than you are looking for. People are saying good things about the new bbq place Tradesman. Sampan is modern asian right there that is great but pricier. Smoking Bettys is a few blocks away and is good BBQ and burgers.

I second all of this. Bud and Marilyn's fried chicken is to die for with the biscuit and butter. I'm hungry just thinking about it.

Double Knot is great, but pricey.

You would be only a few blocks from Dandelion, which is one of Stephen Starr's restaurants. It's a British-themed "pub" but feels more like a restaurant. Food is excellent.

For something more casual but still good, there's a great little pub nearby called Good Dog Bar.

And if you're a beer nerd, you really should stop by Monk's Cafe.

The Field House, between 11th and 12st, is a Penn State bar. If you're there on Wednesday you can watch PSU Vs Rutgers in BB. Should be a good time! :)

If you do China Town for dinner, I like Tai Lake on 10th street. I suspect the teenagers you're bringing along have never been in a Chinese restaurant that wasn't a buffet. Find a restaurant that has a PuPu Platter on the menu (most do) and they'll love it.

You would be only a few blocks from Dandelion, which is one of Stephen Starr's restaurants. It's a British-themed "pub" but feels more like a restaurant. Food is excellent.

For something more casual but still good, there's a great little pub nearby called Good Dog Bar.

I love going there,great burgers.We hit it up after the MSU hoops game at the Palestra.

Double Knot is awesome... highly recommend....take a look at Harp and Crown as well.. Also- check out Tradesman's for solid Bar BQ sports bar like setting...

Reading Terminal Market is always my choice when in that area.

• DiNic's is awesome as others have mentioned.
  • Bassett's Ice Cream is also great.
  • Termini Bros. cannoli are a must.
  • Beiler's Donuts are disgusting, and I feel bad for anyone who thinks they're good.
  • Stay away from cake at Flying Monkey unless you're "in" to dry cake and tasteless icing. Everything else there is good.
  • I've also had good meals at The Original Turkey Company.
  • Have heard good things about Tootsie's but haven't eaten there.

Steve's Prince of Steaks

Eulogy Belgian Tavern about a block off the waterfront on Chestnut St. is an old tavern with German type food . Brats and potatoes. Very good.
Or if you need to drink alot of lunch... Bob and Barbara's Lounge on South St. has a beer and a shot for $2. Hint, don't look up or down.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
There are so many good restaurants in center city.
I am going to lunch tomorrow at Butcher and Singer -- former brokerage firm-- great spot.

The Reading Terminal Market is a pretty fantastic option.

Don't know downtown Philly that well, but the courthouse must be close by. The one time my wife and I were in there, I heard "Your Honor" more than I heard hi or hello.

Reactions: Zenophile

If you want to try Sampan go for their happy hour. My youngest daughter was a hostess there while attending PCOM. I took my whole family last year. The only person unhappy was my grandson, who couldn't get ketchup for his kobe sliders.

Been to all of them and any of them are an excellent choice

Also have chains like Maggiano’s, Hard Rock, Chili’s (and Wawa!).

Good Stuff! I am taking my wife to the flower show for a late Valentine's day getaway over that weekend. It is a "bucket list" item for her. As a hobby, she has taken every level of flower arranging course available at Phipps Conservatory here in the 'Burgh. This trip will add at least two feet to this dog's already generous "leash"!

Any upscale restaurant recommendations near the city center are appreciated as are any on guided tours of the city that will allow us take in Philadelphia's rich history. We allotted a full day to just kick around and like to do a guided tour early and choose where to spend the rest of our time later in the same day. Any input is highly appreciated.

Thanks for posting @katchthis !!

Good Stuff! I am taking my wife to the flower show for a late Valentine's day getaway over that weekend. It is a "bucket list" item for her. As a hobby, she has taken every level of flower arranging course available at Phipps Conservatory here in the 'Burgh. This trip will add at least two feet to this dog's already generous "leash"!

Any upscale restaurant recommendations near the city center are appreciated as are any on guided tours of the city that will allow us take in Philadelphia's rich history. We allotted a full day to just kick around and like to do a guided tour early and choose where to spend the rest of our time later in the same day. Any input is highly appreciated.

Museum of Art is always a good deal. Eastern State Penitentiary is something I've never gotten around to but seems like it would be fun. Depending on the time of year it seems there is always some type of shopping village surrounding city hall (by the way if you stand at a certain spot outside of city hall you can see the William Penn statue urinating on the city). If you are into celeb sight-seeing according to my daughter a lot of pro sports figures go to Sampan (a least a year ago when she was there).

The Plough and the Stars at 2nd and Market is a good lunch spot. It’s Irish pub fare with a nice atmosphere right near the new Museum of the American Revolution. The Liberty Bell and Independence Hall are also close by. Off the beaten path is the Philly Taproom in south Philadelphia, 15th and Mifflin. They have a great beer selection, and unique dishes like head cheese tacos, gizzards and snails, and deep fried peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. They also do a grilled cheese and tomato soup, where the sandwich is served like a big crouton (in the soup). It’s a place where everyone seems pretty heavily tattooed - even the men.

Need to disclose that I’m not a native of Philly. That’s said, had a great experience at Parc, where went ate because we couldn’t get into Zahav (so be sure to get reservations well in advance). Both of which I’d recommend.

Need to disclose that I’m not a Philly native. That’s said, had a great experience at Parc, where went ate because we couldn’t get into Zahav (so be sure to get reservations well in advance). Both of which I’d recommend.

Parc is an excellent and surprisingly relatively inexpensive meal. Not close to PCC though.

Reactions: Zenophile

I loved the Comcast cooking shows with chef Walter Staib of City Tavern.I bought his book Black Forrest,anyway its historic in every way possible being the oldest upscale restaurant in North America and a true OG.Ive only gone there twice but hey if you're going old school it's a beautiful place.And if you are in shape walk up Walnut and take in the shopping and high end brownstones for 20 blocks up to Riittenhouse Square.

When the last volleyball match at the Convention Center ends at 9P, Easter Sunday, it’s a chain or the dumpster.

I'll take the dumpster of a local place over Maggiano's, Chili's, or Hard Rock Cafe.

Hell, I'd eat a log of hepatitis-laden human feces over Hard Rock Cafe.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT