ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like 2024 QB Ethan Grunkemeyer will be our QB this class

What happened to Van Buren and Jones? At one point it looked like Van Buren was a lock. Not to knock Grunkenmayer as I’m sure he’s a great kid, but we are by far his best offer. If we’re taking two QBs then this would make sense, but with a sophomore and two freshman in our QB room, unlikely we’re going for two.

What happened to Van Buren and Jones? At one point it looked like Van Buren was a lock. Not to knock Grunkenmayer as I’m sure he’s a great kid, but we are by far his best offer. If we’re taking two QBs then this would make sense, but with a sophomore and two freshman in our QB room, unlikely we’re going for two.
I think VanBuren became a hard lean to Oregon, not sure what caused the Jones/PSU separation. I thought both VanBuren and Jones are a bit short for he type of QB Yurich likes.
Wasn't there a pretty highly rated QB from Findlay, OH that PSU had interest in? His name escapes me but he also might be a 2025 prospect.
I think Grunkenmeyer plays in a good HS league. We shall see how this cycle plays out.

Reactions: Obliviax
Van Buren = Uncle Phil's Nike money

Is it too much gloom and doom to think that it's almost impossible to build and sustain a conference/national championship caliber team without getting a top 15 QB at least once every two years? As of now 2023 class had Smolik ranked around 35 and now 2024 Grunkmeyer ranked around 37. You'd have to think this has a negative effect on the recruitment of other high caliber players, especially at WR. The pressure will really be on Allar now to produce at a high level this season so that blue chip QB's might consider us the next recruiting cycle.

Reactions: RickinDayton
I think Allar's success will be vital for our future QB recruiting.

Pure speculation @ this time. He still has his Senior year of HS ball to play and could improve to the point that more Power 5 offers come his way. Then PSU will be glad they offered early and he committed.
Good point that many seem to forget. The 247 Composite has him at 0.8800 which is a high 3-star and with a solid senior year could very well end up in the 4-star range. And besides, wasn't there a HS QB a few years ago named Justin Fields who was a high 3-star going into his senior year - that PSU identified early - and went on to blowup in his senior year ?

Good point that many seem to forget. The 247 Composite has him at 0.8800 which is a high 3-star and with a solid senior year could very well end up in the 4-star range. And besides, wasn't there a HS QB a few years ago named Justin Fields who was a high 3-star going into his senior year - that PSU identified early - and went on to blowup in his senior year ?
Yep.

”Love” the positivity.
I wasn’t trying to even imply that he wouldn’t develop and be a potential starter. Franklin has done a great job identifying underrated talent especially at the QB position. Trace, Tommy S, and Levis were all 3 stars and rated even lower than Grunkemeyer. We can criticize Franklin for a lot of things, but definitely not identifying talent. If we don’t add Van Buren or Jones, I trust Franklin and Yurcich will get him ready. Tommy S was 6’4” 185 pounds when he came to PSU.

Reactions: step.eng69
Hopefully Allar changes the PSU perception around QBs - but outside of Allar (whom blew up later in the process), Yurcich’s qb recruiting has certainly left something to be desired.

I wasn’t trying to even imply that he wouldn’t develop and be a potential starter. Franklin has done a great job identifying underrated talent especially at the QB position. Trace, Tommy S, and Levis were all 3 stars and rated even lower than Grunkemeyer. We can criticize Franklin for a lot of things, but definitely not identifying talent. If we don’t add Van Buren or Jones, I trust Franklin and Yurcich will get him ready. Tommy S was 6’4” 185 pounds when he came to PSU.
He wasn’t responding to you.

That’s how I recall it.

Some of the best couch coaches have spoken. From what I hear, the same private coach who developed Allar is working with this young man and he is very high on him. Apparently, Franklin and Yurcich have an abiding respect for his ability to develop QBs. But their collective coaching wisdom and ability to evaluate talent doesn't impress some members of the HVCAC. The services who rate prospects know so much more than D1 coaches.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT