ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like a hi ranking class for next yr nets a contract extension for CW

PSU73

Feb 10, 2002
ColumbusOh via PortVue/CLE/Houston/CLE
UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. -- Penn State women's basketball coach Coquese Washington, who led the Lady Lions to the three consecutive Big Ten Championships, has received a two-year contract extension, Sandy Barbour, Director of Athletics announced Thursday (March 19). The extension will keep her directing the Lady Lions through at least the 2018-19 campaign.
"Coquese has done an outstanding job with Lady Lion Basketball in her eight years at the helm," Barbour stated. "The on-court success speaks for itself. The team has had a 100 percent graduation rate the past five years and is consistently among our most active teams in community service. There is significant young talent that returns and the four players who signed in November are a consensus Top 15 recruiting class and the highest rated class in program history. The program's future is very bright under Coquese's leadership and I'm excited to see it unfold.".

-----------------------
I presume it goes as follows:
2015-2016 current contract
2016-2017 extension
2018-2019 extension

She may be able to recruit but from what I watch there is a whole lot to desire when the clock is ticking.

Coach Chambers gets a 2 year extension as well.
This post was edited on 3/20 1:54 PM by PSU73

SAYS SO RIGHT HERE

I'm really glad she's not being pushed out. I don't follow women's BB but I have high regard for Coquese Washington.

She's a bright young coach who had all kinds of attractive offers a couple of years ago (Michigan was recruiting her very hard to be head coach there). The team really bad a tough year on the court when Maggie Lucas graduated and they had some highly ranked recruits not pan out the way they were expected to.

She recruits actual college students and they graduate. And yes, as noted, her incoming class is the highest ranked in PSU history. If they pan out and mesh with the existing players, next year will be totally different.

She's smart and hardworking still has room to grow and develop as a coach. Sometimes young coaches have rough patches and learn some thing and really get better. Obviously the recruits still believe in her -- great players still want to be part of her program. So patience is the right thing.

I must say I'm really impressed with Barbour's showing confidence in Washington and Chambers. It is not easy to build a BB program at PSU and there are no guarantees, but they are quality people who do not take short cuts.

The core of the team returning is not very good based upon a 6-24 record. I think her past success over the prior 4 years would warrant keeping her to the end of her contract, but an extension at this time may be a mistake. A lot of the problems with this year's team was from recruiting - not necessarily recruiting low star players, but not recruiting the type of players she needs to fit into her system, having an imbalance in the # of players on the team from class to class and not fully recruiting a roster in that the team was three or four players short this year. I believe two of the four incoming freshman are very highly regarded. The freshman and the UCONN transfer that has one year of eligibility will really need to help this team next year to make them competitive. If this does not happen, this team will likely be towards the bottom of the BIG 10 next year as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT