ADVERTISEMENT

Man was this story pitched differently when it first came out - National Champion Georgia

Online Persona

Feb 2, 2022
First, regardless of the details, prayers to the families. But when this first came out there was A LOT of the story missing. It sounded to me like the young players and female Georgia staff were coming from a school celebration of the national championship. Low and behold, a few days ago we learned that the car was speeding, went off the road, and hit a tree. Now they disclose that they were coming from a strip club at 2:30 am. I know it doesn't change the loss of life at way too young but it now seems pretty apparent that it appears to be the result of poor decisions and not just an terribly unfortunate accident. https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ot...sedgntp&cvid=44c04aa80c7b472cb2cfbaffc1a6ca7c

You certainly interpreted it differently than I did…the school celebration was that day, and pretty obviously wasn’t occurring after 2am

Reactions: stf110
You certainly interpreted it differently than I did…the school celebration was that day, and pretty obviously wasn’t occurring after 2am
The original stories I had read only talked about the accident occurring after the school celebration. There was no mention of 2:30 am, driving at a high rate of speed, or coming from a strip club. I'd say I had a totally different impression of the events with those points omitted.

The original stories I had read only talked about the accident occurring after the school celebration. There was no mention of 2:30 am, driving at a high rate of speed, or coming from a strip club. I'd say I had a totally different impression of the events with those points omitted.
Everything I read initially mentioned the time of the accident…those other items obviously didn’t come out until things were being investigated (and I don’t see how being at a strip club would have any impact regardless; assumed they were doing some type of partying given the time and what occurred that day).

First, regardless of the details, prayers to the families. But when this first came out there was A LOT of the story missing. It sounded to me like the young players and female Georgia staff were coming from a school celebration of the national championship. Low and behold, a few days ago we learned that the car was speeding, went off the road, and hit a tree. Now they disclose that they were coming from a strip club at 2:30 am. I know it doesn't change the loss of life at way too young but it now seems pretty apparent that it appears to be the result of poor decisions and not just an terribly unfortunate accident. https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ot...sedgntp&cvid=44c04aa80c7b472cb2cfbaffc1a6ca7c

Probably were not clairvoyant.

PS. Why was Stubblefield fired?

Everything I read initially mentioned the time of the accident…those other items obviously didn’t come out until things were being investigated (and I don’t see how being at a strip club would have any impact regardless; assumed they were doing some type of partying given the time and what occurred that day).
It's possible that I missed the time of the accident relative to the time of the school celebration in the first articles that came out. I just don't recall that being part of the story. I assumed that the accident had occurred returning from the school celebration.

It's possible that I missed the time of the accident relative to the time of the school celebration in the first articles that came out. I just don't recall that being part of the story. I assumed that the accident had occurred returning from the school celebration.
In your defense, googling several articles does lead to several headlines like "University of Georgia football player and staff member killed in car crash hours after championship celebration"

The articles seem to all mention the time of the accident being 2:45am...though the parade/celebration probably ended about 10 hours earlier, so using "hours" is a bit of a stretch.

Well, if I am a parent of a recruit I certainly wouldn’t want two staff members taking my kid to strip joints and staying out til 2:30 AM. And considerong all that, how long before it comes out that alcohol and marijuana were involved, if not worse drugs?

Well, if I am a parent of a recruit I certainly wouldn’t want two staff members taking my kid to strip joints and staying out til 2:30 AM. And considerong all that, how long before it comes out that alcohol and marijuana were involved, if not worse drugs?
They weren't with recruits, they were players that were a couple of years younger than them who were very likely friends of theirs. I did plenty of drinking with our college interns when I was in my 20's and never thought anything of it (and drank with plenty of co-workers while at PSU who were in their 20's).

If you are worried about sending you kid to a school where your kid might use alcohol or marijuana, then I'd suggest limiting your search to the Middle East

Reactions: LafayetteBear
They weren't with recruits, they were players that were a couple of years younger than them who were very likely friends of theirs. I did plenty of drinking with our college interns when I was in my 20's and never thought anything of it (and drank with plenty of co-workers while at PSU who were in their 20's).

If you are worried about sending you kid to a school where your kid might use alcohol or marijuana, then I'd suggest limiting your search to the Middle East
They were staff members. And as a parent this would be trouble. Coaches always promise mom they will take good care of their kid. Doubt many moms include hitting strip joints with staff members is part of the deal.

They were staff members. And as a parent this would be trouble. Coaches always promise mom they will take good care of their kid. Doubt many moms include hitting strip joints with staff members is part of the deal.
Just as they don't tell mom that their kids will be getting in fights at the ice rink, HUB, making prank phone calls to senile ex-coaches, etc. Sometimes, kids do their own thing when mom and dad aren't watching.

In the age of nil recruitment never ends

If the players were under age the university will be paying out some BIG bucks

Reactions: Online Persona
But they are staff members…….
So? You’re proposing that anyone on payroll is forbidden from hanging out with (or dating) any student athletes? Does that also apply to all of the students on payroll?

It’s a bunch of young people who spend a lot of time together and get to know each other well. No idea what UGA’s formal policy would be, but it’s certainly common and was definitely happening at PSU while I was there.

So? You’re proposing that anyone on payroll is forbidden from hanging out with (or dating) any student athletes? Does that also apply to all of the students on payroll?

It’s a bunch of young people who spend a lot of time together and get to know each other well. No idea what UGA’s formal policy would be, but it’s certainly common and was definitely happening at PSU while I was there.
Ok, so you are fine with members of the coaching staff taking your son to a strip joint to 2:30 AM. Got it.

I'm sure the athletes were kicking, screaming and protesting against going there every step of the way. It's possible (likely?) that the athletes chose the destination and asked if the staffers wanted to join. These are legal adults, they are able to make their own decision. Maybe it's bad optics that the staffers attended with players, but I don't see this as a big deal unless we find out that the driver was drunk.

Ok, so you are fine with members of the coaching staff taking your son to a strip joint to 2:30 AM. Got it.
I’m sure parents of my company’s interns wouldn’t have loved us drinking with them at 2am on work nights in the early 2000s either, but it happens in the real world…hell, my parents would have hated how I spent every Friday and Saturday night while in college.

Reactions: rohrmd9
I'm sure the athletes were kicking, screaming and protesting against going there every step of the way. It's possible (likely?) that the athletes chose the destination and asked if the staffers wanted to join. These are legal adults, they are able to make their own decision. Maybe it's bad optics that the staffers attended with players, but I don't see this as a big deal unless we find out that the driver was drunk.
I'm not sure the players were legal with respect to alcohol or that alcohol was involved for that matter (but details are only just now dripping out). I think the kid that we had recruited was maybe only a 2nd year player at most.

The world has changed. If it turns out that the driver was DWI plus a vehicle leased to the Georgia Athletic Dept. and staff may have signed non fraternization agreements lots of liability .

Reactions: step.eng69
But they are staff members…….

Staff member who was a UGA student very recently... I have a few friends from Penn State who were close friends with a number of players and continued to be friends/socialize with those players after becoming employees of the University after graduating (one within the AD tutoring players actually), because you don't drop your friends at 22/23 because you graduated and they were younger than you.

Reactions: Erial_Lion
The world has changed. If it turns out that the driver was DWI plus a vehicle leased to the Georgia Athletic Dept. and staff may have signed non fraternization agreements lots of liability .
You are likely correct although I did see this article below. Perhaps Georgia is telling them they will pay up? Perhaps the parents don't know what the liability of Georgia should be? Who knows? https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...ment-after-georgia-player-s-death/ar-AA16wXzg

Staff member who was a UGA student very recently... I have a few friends from Penn State who were close friends with a number of players and continued to be friends/socialize with those players after becoming employees of the University after graduating (one within the AD tutoring players actually), because you don't drop your friends at 22/23 because you graduated and they were younger than you.
Pffffttt. Yes you do. They are beneath you now.

I kid.

It would certainly be different if they were members of the coaching staff…these are 20-something staffers at the bottom of the totem pole.
Yep, and I believe PSU has to have some kind of code of conduct for ALL staff members that interact and possibly supervise students. Likely formal training requirements as well. But it's the SEC, so maybe they don't even call them students.......

Reactions: Ski
When I first read it, I figured it was DUI.....I also saw a picture of the "recruiting analyst" and wondered if PSU has any like her...

This story had red flags all over it from the start. Georgia is an SEC school. That is all you need to know.

I know it doesn't change the loss of life at way too young but it now seems pretty apparent that it appears to be the result of poor decisions and not just an terribly unfortunate accident
People in their 20s made bad decisions--that's typical--most people could have ended up dying the same way--we were just luckier. It's still "just a terribly unfortunate accident".

Just as they don't tell mom that their kids will be getting in fights at the ice rink, HUB, making prank phone calls to senile ex-coaches, etc. Sometimes, kids do their own thing when mom and dad aren't watching.
Perhaps, but as a parent, you most likely would hope that staff members are a part of it.

When I first read it, I figured it was DUI.....I also saw a picture of the "recruiting analyst" and wondered if PSU has any like her...

Yes every school has them. I think they were called “hosts” when I was in school. Most were unpaid student volunteers.

Reactions: Ski and psrurock
Not a post that I'd be particularly proud of.
I held off before posting for a week. The DUI is probably right on point. The female was probably hired at least on part by her looks (still very sad about the deaths and injuries for everyone concerned as well as their families). That being said, let's not play pretend as we so often do, this is the ugly underbelly of a lot of college football.

I held off before posting for a week. The DUI is probably right on point. The female was probably hired at least on part by her looks (still very sad about the deaths and injuries for everyone concerned as well as their families). That being said, let's not play pretend as we so often do, this is the ugly underbelly of a lot of college football.
The family indicated they were no longer planning on pursuing anything against them in court after originally stating they were. Not convinced she was DUI but wouldn't be shocked if she was.

I'm not defending Georgia in any way, shape or form, but after working the Olympics in Atlanta for the better part of 2 years I can tell you that there is a very weird "strip club culture" in that region.

Just as Pittsburgh had their neighborhood watering holes for steel workers after the whistle blew, many folks in Atlanta wander to strip clubs as a casual place to watch a game, enjoy the free with cover charge fried okra and chicken strip buffet, have a few beers and have a topless/bottomless GA Tech student dance on your table. Some may even bring their wife along as a former student of mine who lives down there supposedly does (he is a barber to lots of Hip Hop and NBA stars).

The whole team that I worked with, men and women, were partial to The Cheetah Club #3. As an agency guy with an expense account I got dragged to all of them...Gold Club was the tops ( just ask Dikembe Mutumbo!) It was not at all the sorts of strip clubs that I had experienced as a twenty something ( shout out to The Palace in Altoona!)

It is tragic that this accident happened. If alcohol was involved it is worse. Georgia is on the hook and cannot "win" no matter what they do. They shouldn't. As odd as it would be for most of us to picture mixed company hanging out in a tatty bar, based on my experience from 30 years ago it was pretty common. Dallas is the only other city that rivals Atlanta in this regard.

Definitely odd....

Reactions: The Spin Meister
ADVERTISEMENT