ADVERTISEMENT

Man was this story pitched differently when it first came out - National Champion Georgia

Jail was never an option--no one bothered to read the charges. They just focused on people died instead of what was actually happening.

His Pro Day performance is a much bigger issue than this situation of which many people here said all along this would be the result.

No, I'm not. But had I done what he did, I'd be in jail for a long time.

If you did as well as you have said in the market and real estate, you would have hired an "in-the-club" lawyer and gotten off similarly well.

Amazing how quickly that was all wrapped up in time before the NFL draft. 🤨

It's truly almost like a circus. It's brought up right before the combine and then resolved before the draft.

Prosecutor wasn't out for more. Tidy it up.

Reactions: tlbakernc
If you did as well as you have said in the market and real estate, you would have hired an "in-the-club" lawyer and gotten off similarly well.

It's truly almost like a circus. It's brought up right before the combine and then resolved before the draft.

Prosecutor wasn't out for more. Tidy it up.
I'm white and vote Republican. Different legal system. Although I am registered independent so hopefully I am not discriminated against too harshly.

Last edited:
Perfect example of privileged. OJ was the first public appearance nation wide of privileged. If you have money you get to play by a different set of rules.
What do people think Carter did here that they wanted a different outcome?

So? You’re proposing that anyone on payroll is forbidden from hanging out with (or dating) any student athletes? Does that also apply to all of the students on payroll?

It’s a bunch of young people who spend a lot of time together and get to know each other well. No idea what UGA’s formal policy would be, but it’s certainly common and was definitely happening at PSU while I was there.
Yes because it is a clear conflict of interest. These are not work study students. These are full time staffers who should know better. Would you be ok with a 21 year old high school teacher hanging out and drinking with an 18 year old student? I don't care how how small the age gap is there still has to be professionalism. This could easily open yourself and your employer to liability.

Yes because it is a clear conflict of interest. These are not work study students. These are full time staffers who should know better. Would you be ok with a 21 year old high school teacher hanging out and drinking with an 18 year old student? I don't care how how small the age gap is there still has to be professionalism. This could easily open yourself and your employer to liability.
I’d have an issue in high school, but look at college as a different level…One of my professors met us at the Cafe after the last day of class, and I saw no issue with it.

Yep, similar to a manager employer going drinking with lower level employees. Legal but HR would strongly advise against. Opens Pandora’s Box.

Reactions: Ski
College and high school aren't comparable

I remember professors being at the bar and buying us drinks in the 90s. Was that not standard? lol

In an NIL world where that California high school QB recruit was supposedly getting $10mm from the U and/ Gators, doesn't $2mm seem light? Just an awful situation all around.
$2M is the max they are allowed to sue for per local law. I'm no lawyer, but it seems like a slam dunk case to me. Confirmed drunk driver, employed by university in university provided car, and now they have a evidence that the driver had a history of speeding tickets. Easy money.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ski and 87 Penn St8
I remember professors being at the bar and buying us drinks in the 90s. Was that not standard? lol
I was and still am friends with a prof who was in his late 20s when I had him for 2 classes. We were on a bowling team together and did venture out to bars frequently. My memory is that he was not supposed to date HIS students....not necessarily PSU students in other majors.

He generally kept a low profile and dated grad students or other PSU staffers. I remember some of my female classmates begging me to bring him to their party. We did go...for a short bit...and then scrammed because the vibe just felt wrong/vulnerable.

I'm sure things today would be stricter...a picture of him at an undergrad keg party with his students may get him fired. As a high school teacher I see former pupils at PSU games all of the time. Even if they are 21 no beers or Solo cups in pix w me or no pic happens.

$2M is the max they are allowed to sue for per local law. I'm not lawyers, but it seems like a slam dunk case to me. Confirmed drunk driver, employed by university in university provided car, and now they have an evidence that the driver had a history of speeding tickets. Easy money.
Highly likely, especially with how some people have a negative view of “deep pockets” big business/institution/etc. But, two of the factors listed could potentially be not so cut and dried.

At the moment, we do not know if the deceased employee was performing any of her job responsibilities that night. This was well after the school functions occurred. Related unknown, how were the late night festivities paid for?

The school has already come out and stated it was an unauthorized use of the vehicle. If this is true, then it certainly wasn’t provided. That said, at best for the school, it was negligent with its control and procedures for the use of school owned vehicles. I’m not going to attempt to project that impact.

I’m someone who thinks there should be more personal responsibility taken in this world.

$2M is the max they are allowed to sue for per local law. I'm not lawyers, but it seems like a slam dunk case to me. Confirmed drunk driver, employed by university in university provided car, and now they have a evidence that the driver had a history of speeding tickets. Easy money.
It won't ever see a courtroom. Check will be written asap.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT