ADVERTISEMENT

Many differences between last year vs Michigan and this year make me optimistic.

NittanyChris

Dec 3, 2001
There are many differences between where this PSU team was vs Michigan last season and where they are now. Given all these listed below, I’m feeling pretty good about our chances tomorrow.
1. The PSU run game was beyond pitiful last year. It was a joke. This year we not only have Allen getting positive yards every play we have the home run threat of Singleton.
2. Clifford is relatively healthy this year. Last year he was a shell of himself.
3. PJ Mustipher is back and is a force. He was desperately missed last year.
4. Overall, the Oline is significantly improved. Without a doubt.
5. B Strange has taken a leap forward and is a serious threat. He was mediocre last year.

There are many differences between where this PSU team was vs Michigan last season and where they are now. Given all these listed below, I’m feeling pretty good about our chances tomorrow.
1. The PSU run game was beyond pitiful last year. It was a joke. This year we not only have Allen getting positive yards every play we have the home run threat of Singleton.
2. Clifford is relatively healthy this year. Last year he was a shell of himself.
5. B Strange has taken a leap forward and is a serious threat. He was mediocre last year.
Should be a good game. If I were a betting man, I would take the points.

On the downside, we don't have Dotson who was a difference maker at WR.

I would also say that our place kicking is more questionable this year. Punting is interestingly much better when it comes to placement, but probably not as good when it comes to distance (Stout could really boom them) though the former is probably more important.

I would also say that our place kicking is more questionable this year. Punting is interestingly much better when it comes to placement, but probably not as good when it comes to distance (Stout could really boom them) though the former is probably more important.
Yes, I hope we don’t have to kick a long field goal to win.

Reactions: rcy4499

Great point on Dotson. I was expecting a deep threat to evolve in the OOC games from among KLS, Tinsley, Wallace and Meiga but so far the deep ball has been pretty much MIA.

The place kicking so far has been a big disappointment, with Pinegar failing in too many of his limited opportunities.

The punting has shown great so far, but I believe we will miss Stout much more against the better teams on the schedule. In the first 5 games PSU was rarely pinned deep in their own end due to the offense being somewhat more consistent as well as the defense winning regularly to give PSU decent field position. But when PSU goes 3 and out against UM or oh-high-ya deep in their own end after getting pinned there or after a penalty on in KO we may wish we had Stout to boom a 60-65 yarder to swing field position.......

Another big factor so far has been the depth and maturity of the secondary. The CB's have exhibited better coverage without taking all the PI penalties that are drive extenders we say last year. And both CB and Safety seem to have better and deeper rotations that PSU has had in a long, long time. I really can't remember PSU playing so many DB's regularly going back to the 1960's!!

Michigan has also improved.

I expect PSU to play well and that it will be a very competitive game coming down to the last five minutes and how we execute in that critical timeframe.

Reactions: SR108

Field. Goals we don’t need no stinking field goals

• Haha
Reactions: Fac and bluehair666
Corum is playing and is better than Haskins last year. scUM has more of a playmaker with McCarthy at QB vs McNamara, he has a better arm and a better runner.

On the pro side.....

Defense - Our Defensive backs are better this year, better D coordinator, healthy Mustipher and Adisa Isaac.

Offense - Healthy Clifford opens up our playbook, specifically threat to run, 3 headed monster at tight end with Strange being legitimate big play threat, better run game with real talent at RB.

Corum is playing and is better than Haskins last year. scUM has more of a playmaker with McCarthy at QB vs McNamara, he has a better arm and a better runner.

On the pro side.....

Defense - Our Defensive backs are better this year, better D coordinator, healthy Mustipher and Adisa Isaac.

Offense - Healthy Clifford opens up our playbook, specifically threat to run, 3 headed monster at tight end with Strange being legitimate big play threat, better run game with real talent at RB.
I don't disagree. However, UM has played very poor teams with mostly poor defenses. The exception to poor defense (although still a poor team) is Iowa. Knowing Iowa couldn't score UM counted on a low risk offense and ran Corum 29 times where he gained 133 yards. That is quite a load and he did quite well. But one has to also consider that Iowa's run D was really tired in the second half because their O couldn't sustain drives.

I have great respect for Corum but he hasn't faced a defense as good as ours yet

I don't disagree. However, UM has played very poor teams with mostly poor defenses. The exception to poor defense (although still a poor team) is Iowa. Knowing Iowa couldn't score UM counted on a low risk offense and ran Corum 29 times where he gained 133 yards. That is quite a load and he did quite well. But one has to also consider that Iowa's run D was really tired in the second half because their O couldn't sustain drives.

I have great respect for Corum but he hasn't faced a defense as good as ours yet
Yep, he is not unbeatable by any means. He is super strong, especially lower body, and quick. I saw where he is one of those workout freak guys. If we have lame a$$ tackling he will kill us. We need Carter to play a lot of snaps.

Yep, he is not unbeatable by any means. He is super strong, especially lower body, and quick. I saw where he is one of those workout freak guys. If we have lame a$$ tackling he will kill us. We need Carter to play a lot of snaps.

And on the tackling.....none of this Brandon Smith go for the big hit don't wrap up then give up a drive continuing critical first down.

Agree. Penn State’s ceiling is significantly higher than it was last year…. For all you stated, and more ( read; athletes).
—Michigan’s ceiling on offense may be somewhat higher ( remains to be seen, against a good defense). It’s defense should be slightly lower given the graduation of those 2 excellent DE’s.
—Bottom line : if the “ referines “ let them play, and PSU minimizes turnovers ( 0 to 1) and just executes, Michigan will have a big problem on their hands. —Several “if’s “ there, but doable.

OK, in retrospect, how do you feel now?

• Haha
Reactions: LandoComando
That post aged pretty pooly.

Reactions: psu00 and Al_Tuna
Hey, it was a dismal performance all around. Really bad. I’m curious as to the intention of your response here.
Could it be as simple as do you still believe those things are true? Moving forward this year are those 5 things true and do you think they give us a shot to beat Ohio State?

This post was about as bad as possible. We were humiliated. We are not good. Anyone that says otherwise is a fool.im sure we will end up with at least 9 wins but our schedule is garbage. Franklin is a horrible Coach

Hey, it was a dismal performance all around. Really bad. I’m curious as to the intention of your response here.
Just curious since they played so poorly. Your post was well thought out and optimistic … they just got worked. Do you still feel that way?

52429833501_a9eb2121a0_c.jpg

For those complaining about the refs: TD Penn State. Note Jaylen Harrell's (#32) jersey.

Could it be as simple as do you still believe those things are true? Moving forward this year are those 5 things true and do you think they give us a shot to beat Ohio State?
Go back to the Michigan board troll. Worry about c.j. Stroud in Columbus, not us.

Go back to the Michigan board troll. Worry about c.j. Stroud in Columbus, not us.
Are you going to be real confused when I'm here for many many seasons (health permitting) not just the next several weeks. I don't understand why you even think for a second I'm a Michigan game. Because I know Michigan is better than us?

And that shirt is barely moved which as long as the hands are inside is fine. It was as absurd as your example!!

You can't even tell if the hand is touching. The shirt is obviously being grabbed and PULLED.

The point is, the refs miss dozens of calls per game. On both sides. They always have.

You can't even tell if the hand is touching. The shirt is obviously being grabbed and PULLED.

The point is, the refs miss dozens of calls per game. On both sides. They always have.
Of course.

You think it is a coincidence that Michigan’s (and Ohio State for that matter) record in bowl games is so dismal over the last 50+ years?

No home cooking officiating.

For Christ’s sake, Big10 officials verbally told our kids that they would be biased against them. Our program was sanctioned for non-sports related issues that were 10x+ worse at Michigan, Ohio State, and Michigan State. And directly involved in their sports programs. Their punishment? Zilch!

And why the h do you think there is replay in College football? Bias and crookedness of Big10 that got so bad that it was embarrassing and potentially criminal.

Yeah - it’s all on the level. Keep telling yourself that.

• Haha
Reactions: Go M&B
Still pictures are dumb. Neither the pic of the jersey grab or the face mask in this thread tell you anything. On the jersey/"hold", the runner was already past the point where a play could be made and in the end zone. How long was there a handful of jersey? No idea. I re-watchrd the play and didn't see anything that made a difference.
And the facemask? The pic doesn't show any kind of hold on it. For all we know that could have been caught in a split section was there and gone the next.

No need to make stuff up. It's like when you see a still pic of someone and it's posted they are obviously mad. It's nonsense. I can look passed breathing or if you catch me at the right time while chewing something. Still pics as proof of anything is just ridiculous.

ADVERTISEMENT