ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Brennan further exposes Franklin...

Hahahahahahahahahaha. Hard hitting journalist Mark Brennan is back at it with all his controversial questions to Franklin.
How daring he ask about the development of Jimmy Christ. Next stop CNN for him!!

Look no further than blue chip ratios (% of roster comprised of 4 and 5 star recruits signed from last 4 recruiting classes). Source

In the last decade every team that has won a natty had a blue chip ratio > 50%. The playoffs are regularly comprised of the teams near the top of this list every season.

2022 Blue Chip Ratio:
  1. Bama 89%
  2. OSU 80%
  3. Georgia 77%
  4. Oklahoma 71%
  5. A&M 70%
  6. Texas 68%
  7. LSU 66%
  8. Clemson 63%
  9. Notre Dame 62%
  10. Florida 60%
  11. Oregon 60%
  12. Michigan 59%
  13. PSU 55%
  14. Miami 55%
  15. Auburn 54%
It seems pretty clear from this chart that:
1. Texas has had some pretty lousy coaching or just picked a lot of mis-rated players. A&M isn't much better.
2. PSU, Miami and Auburn are pretty much dead even. PSU was 11-2. Miami and Auburn were BOTH 5-7. Please take a Stabbin at justifying how our coaching staff sucks. PSU outperformed a LOT of teams with higher % of Blue Chip recruits. That is a fact.

Last edited:
Look no further than blue chip ratios (% of roster comprised of 4 and 5 star recruits signed from last 4 recruiting classes). Source

In the last decade every team that has won a natty had a blue chip ratio > 50%. The playoffs are regularly comprised of the teams near the top of this list every season.

2022 Blue Chip Ratio:
  1. Bama 89%
  2. OSU 80%
  3. Georgia 77%
  4. Oklahoma 71%
  5. A&M 70%
  6. Texas 68%
  7. LSU 66%
  8. Clemson 63%
  9. Notre Dame 62%
  10. Florida 60%
  11. Oregon 60%
  12. Michigan 59%
  13. PSU 55%
  14. Miami 55%
  15. Auburn 54%
Franklin outcoached 4-11. The teams ahead of psu had more talent with the exceptions of tcu and tennessee

Last edited:
It seems pretty clear from this chart that:
1. Texas has had some pretty lousy coaching or just picked a lot of mis-rated players. A&M isn't much better.
2. PSU, Miami and Auburn are pretty much dead even. PSU was 11-2. Miami and Auburn were BOTH 5-7. Please take a Stabbin at justifying how our coaching staff sucks. PSU outperformed a LOT of teams with higher % of Blue Chip recruits. That is a fact.
I must have missed Illinois, MSU, Iowa etc. A resume of beaten average teams and losing to some does not make a coaching staff great. Good yes, better then some of the underperforming staffs on this list for sure.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I must have missed Illinois, MSU, Iowa etc. A resume of beaten average teams and losing to some does not make a coaching staff great. Good yes, better then some of the underperforming staffs on this list for sure.
Franklin is a real stumble bum. In seven seasons since the sanction "era" PSU is about #8 in total wins. Ahead of every Big 10 Western Conference Team and behind OSU and Michigan (by 2 wins) over the 7 year stretch. So, even with the COVID year and last season, the past 7 have seen PSU out perform LSU, Florida, Florida State, Texas A&M , Oregon, USC, Utah, Stanford, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Texas and Wisky to name a few.
Ohio State is about #4 behind Alabama, Clemson and Georgia. Michigan is around #7 as I said 2 more wins than PSU and behind Oklahoma and ND.
Interestingly enough, PSU is around #8 in all time wins and its all time win %.692.....Franklin is a slacker at .684.
Turrible.
WE DESERVE BETTER!

Franklin is a real stumble bum. In seven seasons since the sanction "era" PSU is about #8 in total wins. Ahead of every Big 10 Western Conference Team and behind OSU and Michigan (by 2 wins) over the 7 year stretch. So, even with the COVID year and last season, the past 7 have seen PSU out perform LSU, Florida, Florida State, Texas A&M , Oregon, USC, Utah, Stanford, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Texas and Wisky to name a few.
Ohio State is about #4 behind Alabama, Clemson and Georgia. Michigan is around #7 as I said 2 more wins than PSU and behind Oklahoma and ND.
Interestingly enough, PSU is around #8 in all time wins and its all time win %.692.....Franklin is a slacker at .684.
Turrible.
WE DESERVE BETTER!

Good post and puts things into perspective to critics of Franklin like myself. I will eat some crow. I think, however, the major issue is his inability to get over the hump and get PSU back to elite glory. It is particularly frustrating with the types of losses he routinely has against OSU and Michigan.

For the money he is now getting, he needs to take the next step from 2 loss seasons and 3rd place in Big10 to regular conference championships and CFP appearances. OSU and Michigan have taken that step. He hasn't.

Reactions: manilion
You do realize every team has beaten average teams. People love to act like Penn State the only team who plays "average teams". Take Minnesota for example. If Penn State loses that game Minnesota goes 10-3 and the narrative is Franklin can't beat ranked teams. Penn State bets them and they finish 9-4 and everyone dismisses them as another average team.

Good post and puts things into perspective to critics of Franklin like myself. I will eat some crow. I think, however, the major issue is his inability to get over the hump and get PSU back to elite glory. It is particularly frustrating with the types of losses he routinely has against OSU and Michigan.

For the money he is now getting, he needs to take the next step from 2 loss seasons and 3rd place in Big10 to regular conference championships and CFP appearances. OSU and Michigan have taken that step. He hasn't.
I think that he derailed after 2019. He wanted more money and encouraged discussions about him leaving for a better offer. I think this lessened the loyalty of the players and led to mediocre to bad results. Last year's sit outs for the bowl game was a sign of this disaffection.
It seems he is now more focused and the team feeds of this enthusiasm for Penn State football.

Reactions: bono47
I think that he derailed after 2019. He wanted more money and encouraged discussions about him leaving for a better offer. I think this lessened the loyalty of the players and led to mediocre to bad results. Last year's sit outs for the bowl game was a sign of this disaffection.
It seems he is now more focused and the team feeds of this enthusiasm for Penn State football.
Franklin asking for a new contract was just as much about forcing the AD to invest in the program as it was his own personal pay, maybe more so. He's been getting more money for facilities and assistant coach salaries to narrow the gap we have against other top programs. Since he and Barbor/Barron weren't always aligned Franklin had to play hard ball. Things should be better now with Neeli/Kraft. Franklin even went out of his way to mention that the 3 of them are aligned in a Rose bowl postgame interview. This is one of the areas where schools like LSU and Bama have recently been a step ahead of PSU. When Saban asks for something, he gets it without much fuss. Franklin doesn't have that luxury so he has forced the hand of the AD through contract negotiations, which will benefit the football program long term regardless of who is coaching. But the good news for all but the Franklin haters, is the AD has mostly complied, so Franklin has stuck around instead of jumping to greener pastures where he might think he has more administration support.

Franklin asking for a new contract was just as much about forcing the AD to invest in the program as it was his own personal pay, maybe more so. He's been getting more money for facilities and assistant coach salaries to narrow the gap we have against other top programs. Since he and Barbor/Barron weren't always aligned Franklin had to play hard ball. Things should be better now with Neeli/Kraft. Franklin even went out of his way to mention that the 3 of them are aligned in a Rose bowl postgame interview. This is one of the areas where schools like LSU and Bama have recently been a step ahead of PSU. When Saban asks for something, he gets it without much fuss. Franklin doesn't have that luxury so he has forced the hand of the AD through contract negotiations, which will benefit the football program long term regardless of who is coaching. But the good news for all but the Franklin haters, is the AD has mostly complied, so Franklin has stuck around instead of jumping to greener pastures where he might think he has more administration support.
If that was the first time he did it I'd agree, but it was the second time. I don't care how well Franklin does, I want him out of here. Now don't get me wrong as I'll cheer for the Penn State doing well, but I'll never cheer for Franklin.

Fool me once, shame on you...

I didn't watch the game but listened to the radio, and that was limited, but I thought Steve Jones said they had to go with Sutherland because of injury to someone.
I think it was Jacobs that got injured.
I want to see the apologists defend THIS. THIS ain't coming from one of us, it's coming from the top. An impartial and highly respected source.

It's indefensible that in the most crucial part of the game, Franklin had his 3rd team defensive tackle and his little golden boy number zero on the field at the same time.

I think one of the best things about next year is Franklin can't put Sutherland and Clifford on the field to lose games.
Highly respected by whom?
I would think Diaz would control who is on the field, defensively.
Having watched young Allar this season, I am glad Franklin didn’t move to him. What guys like you don’t understand is Franklin owes it to all the players to help them be rewarded for all the hard work they’ve done. While 11-2 is not good enough for you, it is what the team earned. If I recall correctly, the over under for wins was 8.5. They exceeded expectations. Not your expectations, but those of people paid a lot of money to figure out things like this. Vegas didn’t build that huge playground by losing.

Reactions: john4psu
If that was the first time he did it I'd agree, but it was the second time. I don't care how well Franklin does, I want him out of here. Now don't get me wrong as I'll cheer for the Penn State doing well, but I'll never cheer for Franklin.

It might not be the last time because last I checked, some gaps with other top schools still exist. Take a look at the crappy dorm rooms from this past weekend's player move in pictures as one example. I wouldn't want to live in them as a regular student, let alone as a scholarship football player.

How exactly is Franklin fooling you, or anyone for that matter? I will never understand the fans that want Franklin gone. The guy has been great for PSU, transitioning us to a modern era of football while still being competitive as a program the whole time. I know you'll disagree. Not only does he compete well on the field but he still emphasizes the off the field stuff just like Paterno did. I'd think those that still can't move past Paterno would appreciate that aspect of how Franklin leads the program.

4 top 10 finishes the last 7 years. Joe had 3 his last 15 years. Who was fooling you?

It might not be the last time because last I checked, some gaps with other top schools still exist. Take a look at the crappy dorm rooms from this past weekend's player move in pictures as one example. I wouldn't want to live in them as a regular student, let alone as a scholarship football player.

How exactly is Franklin fooling you, or anyone for that matter? I will never understand the fans that want Franklin gone. The guy has been great for PSU, transitioning us to a modern era of football while still being competitive as a program the whole time. I know you'll disagree. Not only does he compete well on the field but he still emphasizes the off the field stuff just like Paterno did. I'd think those that still can't move past Paterno would appreciate that aspect of how Franklin leads the program.
LMAOROFL. Powder their butt and feed them Pablum. Enough will never be enough.

Highly respected by whom?
I would think Diaz would control who is on the field, defensively.
Having watched young Allar this season, I am glad Franklin didn’t move to him. What guys like you don’t understand is Franklin owes it to all the players to help them be rewarded for all the hard work they’ve done. While 11-2 is not good enough for you, it is what the team earned. If I recall correctly, the over under for wins was 8.5. They exceeded expectations. Not your expectations, but those of people paid a lot of money to figure out things like this. Vegas didn’t build that huge playground by losing.
LOL. Using Vegas to support an argument. Vegas gave the 8.5 due to past results and lack of faith in Franklin. This does nothing to support a position of strength. Until Franklin beats a team that is more talented he will not be recognized as a great coach. Beating an above average Utal team won’t change any opinions of his capability. 11-2 is a great season by his standard but none of those wins are great by themselves. He does get credit for winning.

You need to stop complaining about the money. Franklin is at best 13th on the salary parade. Actually. based on this information, he deserves a raise.

Yep, we want Harbaugh.

LOL. Using Vegas to support an argument. Vegas gave the 8.5 due to past results and lack of faith in Franklin. This does nothing to support a position of strength. Until Franklin beats a team that is more talented he will not be recognized as a great coach. Beating an above average Utal team won’t change any opinions of his capability. 11-2 is a great season by his standard but none of those wins are great by themselves. He does get credit for winning.
Just for future reference, It likely isn't going to get much better than 11-2.

Reactions: mean15

4 top 10 finishes in 7 years. 3 in Joes last 15 years.

James Franklin is the 5th coach to win the Rose, Fiesta, Cotton Bowls, joining Joe Paterno, Penn State; Bob Stoops, Oklahoma; Mack Brown, Texas; Terry Donahue, UCLA.

Reactions: The Spin Meister

Please define “elite glory” and please explain when we used to be there. Maybe the 80’s (depending on the definition) and that’s a lot of years between then and now that didn’t involve James Franklin and didn’t involve digging out of crippling sanctions.

Reactions: marshall23
Please define “elite glory” and please explain when we used to be there. Maybe the 80’s (depending on the definition) and that’s a lot of years between then and now that didn’t involve James Franklin and didn’t involve digging out of crippling sanctions.
Again with the overblown sanctions. The best years under Franklin were during that time.

You need to stop complaining about the money. Franklin is at best 13th on the salary parade. Actually. based on this information, he deserves a raise.
It's the way he went about the money and the total disruption he orchestrated while he pursued more money TWICE over 6 years. TWICE! Total disruption without a care in the world. I'll do a jig the day he's gone. However, I will continue to root for the team.

16-17 were his best record totals. 14-15 his best job as a coach. Best win 16, best bowl win 17. Nothing much after that. Utah ehhh.
And 16-17 were not during the sanctions. And you say back to back 7-5 seasons were his best coaching jobs, but the sanctions were overblown….be consistent.

tumblr_mxcl1p4AaX1spy7ono1_500.gif
WHAT'S UP WITH?
• Clifford blowing a gasket against another elite team. This was likely his last shot against a top-10 opponent. It was definitely his last shot against the premier program in the Big Ten, which just so happens to be from his home state. As it played out, this was a game where Penn State REALLY needed the veteran quarterback to NOT make colossal errors. And yet he did. Again.

• Penn State going with third-team DT Jordan van den Berg and now second-team linebacker Jonathan Sutherland on the HUGE defensive series after taking a 21-16 lead. The Lions were coming off a 5:44 scoring drive that began in the third quarter, so it was not as if anyone was tired. They paid dearly for not having their best players — including Carter — on the field. Sutherland was late getting to where he needed to be on the second play of OSU’s drive, allowing a 13-yard completion. On the next play, van den Berg took a bad slant and was buried by guard Matthew Jones. Then Sutherland took a terrible angle and ran straight into the tight end Stover. It created a huge gap for Henderson, who busted off the 41-yard TD run.

I was fine with Penn State using heavy defensive rotations deep into the fourth quarter early in the season, to build depth. But this was nuts. When you have a chance to drop the hammer on a team like Ohio State, you do it with your best players. If the Buckeyes beat THEM, shake their hands and move on.

DID YOU NOTICE?
• Defensive end Chop Robinson was back after missing the Minnesota game with an unspecified injury. He came off the bench to contribute one tackle.

• Penn State starting guard Landon Tengwall missed his third straight game with what appears to be a left arm or shoulder injury. He was once again replaced by Hunter Nourzad.

• Starting right guard Caedan Wallace dressed but did not play. He was replaced by the veteran Effner. Effner struggled against Tuimoloah all afternoon. Wallace was knocked out of the Minnesota game with an unspecified injury.

UNANSWERED QUESTION
• What does Penn State do at quarterback? Before the Minnesota game, I said if the Lions wanted to have a legit shot to beat the Buckeyes — and give themselves any chance of climbing back into the College Football Playoff discussion — they had to start true freshman Drew Allar against the struggling Gophers to prepare him for OSU. Six years into his career, we knew who Clifford was. And he wasn’t (and isn't) the guy who beats top-10 teams.

Clifford, who was awful in a loss at Michigan the previous week, started against Minnesota Oct. 22. He overcame an early pick and played outstanding football in being named Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week (pause) after the blowout win. And then the Buckeyes came to town.

16-17 were his best record totals. 14-15 his best job as a coach. Best win 16, best bowl win 17. Nothing much after that. Utah ehhh.
Utah ehhh?

multiple national analysts predicted Utah to be too powerful for Penn State and we beat the pee out of them, seriously if Rising hadn't been slippery like an eel it would have looked like the Maryland game and as it was we took our foot off the gas

Reactions: bytir
And 16-17 were not during the sanctions. And you say back to back 7-5 seasons were his best coaching jobs, but the sanctions were overblown….be consistent.
2* from mid majors did not turn into 4* the day sanctions ended. They had 4 year scholarships.

It's the way he went about the money and the total disruption he orchestrated while he pursued more money TWICE over 6 years. TWICE! Total disruption without a care in the world. I'll do a jig the day he's gone. However, I will continue to root for the team.
You can practice your dance for about a decade. James will decide if and when he leaves.
Based on the salaries going to new coaching hires, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets another increase soon. You deserve a coach like Nardouche who will never be mentioned as a candidate nor the apple of any other university's eye.
Perhaps we can lure Jim Harbaugh here. His total disruption has destroyed Michigan the past two year.

ADVERTISEMENT