ADVERTISEMENT

Mazi Smith was arrested day before Indiana game...

Psugo823

Aug 17, 2021
I don't have the link but I don't need a link. If you need a link go to espn.com.
Apparently Mazi Smith was arrested LONG BEFORE the PSU game for concealed weapons charges but wasn't charged until today...lmao.

If this happens at Penn State he would have been done for the season. Just wow. What happened to "Michigan class"?

Reactions: PSU2UNC
I don't have the link but I don't need a link. If you need a link go to espn.com.
Apparently Mazi Smith was arrested LONG BEFORE the PSU game for concealed weapons charges but wasn't charged until today...lmao.

If this happens at Penn State he would have been done for the season. Just wow. What happened to "Michigan class"?
Imagine that! It took the prosecutor that long to press charges....just long enough to let him play in the most important games of the season. In the meantime, MSU suspended 8 players that week of their incident.

HERE IS A HOTLINK - multiple requests for comment from scUM have gone unanswered. This certainly doesn't play well for their upcoming tunnel incident trials.

Reactions: psu00 and Psugo823
Imagine that! It took the prosecutor that long to press charges....just long enough to let him play in the most important games of the season. In the meantime, MSU suspended 8 players that week of their incident.

Not surprising since they let a rapist O lineman play a few years back.

"We are aware of the charge against Mazi from a traffic stop back in October," Manuel said in a statement. "Mazi was honest, forthcoming and cooperative from the very beginning and is a tremendous young man. He is not and never has been considered a threat to the University or community.

"Based on the information communicated to us, we will continue to allow the judicial process to play out. Mazi will continue to participate as a member of the team."

Head coach Jim Harbaugh echoed Manuel's sentiments about Smith's character.

"I have respect for our judicial process and with that respect brings confidence that a fair and just resolution is forthcoming," Harbaugh said in a statement. "Mazi’s character and the trust that he has earned over the past four years will continue to be considered throughout the process."

"We are aware of the charge against Mazi from a traffic stop back in October," Manuel said in a statement. "Mazi was honest, forthcoming and cooperative from the very beginning and is a tremendous young man. He is not and never has been considered a threat to the University or community.

"Based on the information communicated to us, we will continue to allow the judicial process to play out. Mazi will continue to participate as a member of the team."

Head coach Jim Harbaugh echoed Manuel's sentiments about Smith's character.

"I have respect for our judicial process and with that respect brings confidence that a fair and just resolution is forthcoming," Harbaugh said in a statement. "Mazi’s character and the trust that he has earned over the past four years will continue to be considered throughout the process."

What does any of this bullshit have to do with the fact that he broke the law and is being charged with a felony punishable by up to 5 years in prison (and how is it remotely consistent with these statements)??? What a f'ing joke

Last edited:
I'm trying to wrap my head around how a player was arrested for a felony offense and has not served one single minute on the bench as suspension. This is beyond SEC stuff, this is basically win at all costs and f$#k you to everyone.

HERE IS A HOTLINK - multiple requests for comment from scUM have gone unanswered. This certainly doesn't play well for their upcoming tunnel incident trials.

The Detroit News article I originally linked has since been updated by the publisher. The local prosecutor on the case is now saying the timeline on the charges is not unusual for the case... with the significant qualifier that the defendant was not arrested at the scene and was allowed to leave the scene....

This seems to be a rather large "qualifier" regarding the timeline of charges being filed. Any lawyers or Law Enforcement officials who can comment on how unusual it is for someone to illegally be carrying a concealed handgun and not be arrested at the scene??? I'm no expert, but that sounds mighty fishy to me.

The Detroit News article I originally linked has since been updated by the publisher. The local prosecutor on the case is now saying the timeline on the charges is not unusual for the case... with the significant qualifier that the defendant was not arrested at the scene and was allowed to leave the scene....

This seems to be a rather large "qualifier" regarding the timeline of charges being filed. Any lawyers or Law Enforcement officials who can comment on how unusual it is for someone to illegally be carrying a concealed handgun and not be arrested at the scene??? I'm no expert, but that sounds mighty fishy to me.
Was he allowed to leave with his weapon? Would be strange to confiscate the weapon yet allow him to leave the scene. They would have to document the seizure and give him a receipt of some sort, I would think.

Was he allowed to leave with his weapon? Would be strange to confiscate the weapon yet allow him to leave the scene. They would have to document the seizure and give him a receipt of some sort, I would think.

I would think it's unusual to let him leave at all - carrying a concealed handgun without a permit is a Felony punishable by up to 5 years in prison (actually carrying any kind of "weapon" concealed is a crime and punishable as a misdemeanor or felony, but carrying a gun concealed is extremely serious).

Here are some questions:
Was he alone in the car?
What type weapon?
Why did it take a week to refer the case?
Why wasn’t he arrested at the time?
Where was the weapon?
Was the weapon legally bought?
Was the weapon registered? (If required)

Reactions: PSU2UNC
Here are some questions:
Was he alone in the car?
What type weapon?
Where was the weapon?
WHY THE HELL WASN'T HE SUSPENDED FROM PLAYING FOOTBALL

Here are some questions:
Was he alone in the car?
What type weapon?
Where was the weapon?

This story just keeps getting more bizzare - his lawyer is now talking and claiming he was "in the process of getting a concealed-carry permit" (whatever that means) at the time he was pulled over Oct 7.... and he now has a concealed-carry permit???? HERE'S A HOTLINK TO ARTICLE. How convenient! I would assume his concealed-carry permit would have gone down the toilet if he were arrested on the spot for a Felony Offense (which is what he's currently charged with) - this is assuming he really had an application pending at the time and it wasn't submitted subsequent to the pull-over. This whole story is crazy and sounds fraught with corruption.

This story just keeps getting more bizzare - his lawyer is now talking and claiming he was "in the process of getting a concealed-carry permit" (whatever that means) at the time he was pulled over Oct 7.... and he now has a concealed-carry permit???? HERE'S A HOTLINK TO ARTICLE. How convenient! I would assume his concealed-carry permit would have gone down the toilet if he were arrested on the spot for a Felony Offense (which is what he's currently charged with) - this is assuming he really had an application pending at the time and it wasn't submitted subsequent to the pull-over. This whole story is crazy and sounds fraught with corruption.
10 out of 10 felony offenses result in arrests on the spot.

That's the FIRST bull$hit thing out of about 10 on this clown show

This article seems to suggest the same thing and references the immediate arrest of Eastern Michigan basketball player Emoni Bates only a month earlier after a traffic stop under similar circumstances: HIT THE HOTLINK.

Reactions: Psugo823
joe pesci youths GIF

You now have tons of scUM defenders of anything prattling on about how he had applied for a concealed-carry permit.... and now has one..... blah, blah, blah. This story is so corrupt - if he had applied for a concealed-carry permit, he knows it's a felony offense and ILLEGAL to be carrying a handgun concealed without a permit! Beyond that, no way does he have a permit in his hands if he'd been arrested and charged on Oct 7 as he should have been - how on earth do you issue a concealed-carry permit to somebody who committed the Felony Offense of carrying a concealed handgun without a permit almost two months ago!?!? This story is so absurdly corrupt, it isn't even funny.

What is strange is that Smith was arrested at the scene, taken to the police station, processed, and then released. That means he was Released on Recognizance (ROR) which normally can not be done without first contacting a Judge or DA and getting their approval.

What is strange is that Smith was arrested at the scene, taken to the police station, processed, and then released. That means he was Released on Recognizance (ROR) which normally can not be done without first contacting a Judge or DA and getting their approval.

No, don't believe that is accurate as RoR essentially means you're released without bail, but have been charged (they generally have a judge at the facility that processes this). In this case, it has been documented that Smith was not arrested and formerly charged with Felony Charges until yesterday (despite the AA Police having him dead to rights on a concealed handgun without a concealed weapon permit). So if you are correct that he was arrested on probable cause and taken to station, he was released "without charges" on the evening of Oct 7. There is a huge difference between being "Released Without Charges" and being charged and Released on Recognizance.

I have actually BEEN arrested a few times(I'm a recovering drug addict 11 years clean) and allow me to tell you this much: Not ONE SINGLE TIME have I EVER heard of a FELONY arrested resulting in release by your own recognizance.
Not. One. Time. Ever.

I have actually BEEN arrested a few times(I'm a recovering drug addict 11 years clean) and allow me to tell you this much: Not ONE SINGLE TIME have I EVER heard of a FELONY arrested resulting in release by your own recognizance.
Not. One. Time. Ever.

Even worse in this case, he was actually "Released Without Charges"... - RoR means you were formally charged and released without a bail requirement. In this case, if he was arrested on probable cause and taken to station, he was subsequently "Released Without Charges" as a warrant and formal charges were not filed until yesterday.

He was probably "in the process" of getting a valid driver's license too

You people are all excited over nothing. He will be suspended next week. For the whole working week. Not just 1 day.
He'll be suspended from this sunday December 4th (B1G Championship) to December 30th (playoff game).

Even worse in this case, he was actually "Released Without Charges"... - RoR means you were formally charged and released without a bail requirement. In this case, if he was arrested on probable cause and taken to station, he was subsequently "Released Without Charges" as a warrant and formal charges were not filed until yesterday.
Having gone through this process 100's of times, I can tell you if he was arrested at the scene and processed at the station, he would have been charged. I've typed up hundreds of Warrants at the station and charged the subject with Possession of a CDW. If they let him go without being charged, then they just Did Not follow proper procedure. Normally, the defendant would be lodged in jail with a copy of the Warrant provided to him which I typed up personally at the station. You should not need a DA's approval to charge someone who is carrying a CDW late at night.

If you can locate a Judge or DA at 2:00AM, and they approve letting the defendant be released on ROR, then you would note that in your report and on the Warrant.
Almost 100% of the time, at that time of the night, the defendant would be lodged in jail until the following morning.

What is so strange is the Press Did Not pickup on this arrest until now. The police and DA had to somehow conceal this incident from the Press which is extremely hard to do.

Having gone through this process 100's of times, I can tell you if he was arrested at the scene and processed at the station, he would have been charged. I've typed up hundreds of Warrants at the station and charged the subject with Possession of a CDW. If they let him go without being charged, then they just Did Not follow proper procedure. Normally, the defendant would be lodged in jail with a copy of the Warrant provided to him which I typed up personally at the station. You should not need a DA's approval to charge someone who is carrying a CDW late at night.

If you can locate a Judge or DA at 2:00AM, and they approve letting the defendant be released on ROR, then you would note that in your report and on the Warrant.
Almost 100% of the time, at that time of the night, the defendant would be lodged in jail until the following morning.

What is so strange is the Press Did Not pickup on this arrest until now. The police and DA had to somehow conceal this incident from the Press which is extremely hard to do.

It's pretty obvious that they released him without charges so he could play against Indiana the next morning. The incident happened Friday evening, Oct 7th -- as you say, it is extremely unlikely that you're going to find anyone that would process a serious Felony Charge as a RoR late on a Friday evening (probably wouldn't happen until Monday morning given the nature of the offense). IOW, if he'd been processed Friday evening, he likely would not have been out until Monday morning and would have missed the noon game against Indiana on Oct 8th.

It blows my mind that they then went and issued a concealed-carry permit while they hid the charges as there's no way somebody should be granted a concealed-carry permit today that was busted dead-to-rights for a Felony Charge of carrying a concealed handgun without a permit two months earlier!

Last edited:
Rumor has it that Gene Smith has been on the phone with Kevin Warren, crying scarlet and grey tears, since the arrest report was released by the press.

Reactions: Boards and Psugo823
It's pretty obvious that they released him without charges so he could play against Indiana the next morning. The incident happened Friday evening, Oct 7th -- as you say, it is extremely unlikely that you're going to find anyone that would process a serious Felony Charge as a RoR late on a Friday evening (probably wouldn't happen until Monday morning given the nature of the offense). IOW, if he'd been processed Friday evening, he likely would not have been out until Monday morning and would have missed the noon game against Indiana on Oct 8th.

It blows my mind that they then went and issued a concealed-carry permit while they hid the charges as there's no way somebody should be granted a concealed-carry permit today that was busted dead-to-rights for a Felony Charge of carrying a concealed handgun without a permit two months earlier!
Not that it makes a difference but I believe he got the CCW two days after the incident. Not two months after

But if he was "Released Without Charges", there wouldn't have been anything for the press to report, no? He was "Released Without Charges" either at the scene or from the police station (I'm not sure which - it is another poster who said he was arrested and taken to Station), but again, definitely "Released Without Charges" that night as a warrant and Formal Charges were not processed until yesterday.

Seems crazy that he was "Released Without Charges" the night of the incident - do you think that's unusual?

Here is an article published by mlive : HIT THE HOTLINK.

The article states that he he not only didn't have a CCW Permit, but also did not have his driver's license on his person.

The article then says, "Ann Arbor police said Smith was released with a felony weapon charge pending review by the Washtenaw County Prosecutor’s Office.".

The Prosecutor (a scUM Law Grad and scUM fan based on his Twitter Page) conveniently claims the following according to the article:

"County prosecutor Eli Savit confirmed that his office did not immediately authorize charges since Smith was not lodged in jail. If Smith had been jailed, Savit would have been legally required to charge him sooner.".

Something seems clearly amiss here as a Law Officer on this board says you don't need DA authority to write up a warrant and place the party in jail when they are arrested for the Felony Charge that Smith has ultimately been charged with. Something doesn't make sense here.

Man has the landscape of college football changed over the past 50 years. Mazi carrying a gun. I guarantee this is not an anomaly. The street culture is bleeding into the game of college football and its a damn shame. Most recently, the behavior exhibited by the MSU players in the tunnel is the same behavior you would see in the neighborhood where a lot of these kids come from, the only difference being the young man who got jumped (pack mentality), would have been shot and killed, seriously. Many of these young men come from a culture where gun play is a normal everyday thing, believe me. Firearms are carried illegally to protect themselves because of a lifestyle,period. Kids become what they live and what they have become doesn't change because they are now a College Football Player. These types of player are on rosters of many college football teams. These types of behaviors need to be confronted by those in charge and deemed 100% unacceptable. Unfortunately it seems like those in charge are willing to enable all in the name of $$$$$$$$.

• Sad
Reactions: The Spin Meister
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT