ADVERTISEMENT

MBB @ Michigan

bdgan

May 29, 2008
PSU down 8 at half.

Nije is doing pretty well against Dickinson. Dorsey still not playing.

Mahaffey doing well. Made a 45' 3 pt shot with time expiring. 7 pts. 3 rebounds, and an assist at half.

Funk 0-4 on wide open looks. Dread 1-2 from 3. Not much movement. PSU can't win with that.

PSU hasn't forced a single turnover and they've been slow closing out on 3 pt shooters.

Last edited:
Could the last 3 minutes gone any worse?
Michigan shooting 50% from 3pt range. Credit them for their shooting but PSU defenders have been slow to close out on the shooters all game.

Funk hasn't made a 3. I'm surprised we haven't seen much of Dread. Wynter hasn't done much either.

Time to go small and apply some pressure. Gotta try something down 14 with 8 minutes to go.

Last edited:
Not going to beat a team like Michigan when Funk and Dread go a combined 2-11 from three point line.

Michigan shooting 50% from 3pt range. Credit them for their shooting but PSU defenders have been slow to close out on the shooters all game.

Funk hasn't made a 3. I'm surprised we haven't seen much of Dread. Wynter hasn't done much either.

Time to go small and apply some pressure. Gotta try something down 14 with 8 minutes to go.
They already won one Big 10 road game. At most, they’re only going to win two or three more Big 10 road games, and that may be stretching it. I know that UM just blew out Maryland, but they also recently lost at home to Central Michigan.

Michigan wins by 10. Pickett had a great game, but no one else was particularly good.

Every team needs three scorers in a game to win unless somebody really goes off. Pickett was very good. Lundy was pretty good minus a few ballhandling mistakes again, but they never got either funk,Dread or Wynter on track.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
Michigan wins by 10. Pickett had a great game, but no one else was particularly good.
3 pt shooting

Funk 1-8
Dread 1-4
Wynter 0-2
Lundy 4-10 after starting 2-2

That and doing a poor job closing out on 3pt shooters was the difference. Michigan almost let them back in the game by missing FTs.

Tough loss in a game they needed. PSU now plays 3 straight ranked teams.

3 pt shooting

Funk 1-8
Dread 1-4
Wynter 0-2

That and doing a poor job closing out on 3pt shooters was the difference. Michigan almost let them back in the game by missing FTs.

They’re going to have trouble with teams that have a good big man.

Reactions: bison13 and bdgan

Funk hasn't made a 3. I'm surprised we haven't seen much of Dread.
3 pt shooting

Funk 1-8
Dread 1-4
Wynter 0-2

Did we really need this game? Yes, would be nice to have won but I don't think it is a critical loss. We do absolutely need to beat them at home if we play them at home. We just need to cobble enough wins together to go dancing. I have confidence in coach Shrewsberry that he can get er done this season and have us dancing. Won't be easy but I believe!

Wasn't happy with our play but man did they call a lot more on PSU than Michigan. It's the reason Michigan has 5 losses out of conference yet is 3-0 in conference.

• Wow
Reactions: Westcoast24
Wasn't happy with our play but man did they call a lot more on PSU than Michigan. It's the reason Michigan has 5 losses out of conference yet is 3-0 in conference.
Especially those home OOC losses where the conference is assigning the officials.

Michigan shoots 25 free throws. PSU shoots 11. Game is at UM. Draw your own conclusions 🤔
When you're pretty much a perimeter team with very little inside game, you almost always are going to shoot fewer free throws than a team that has a decent inside game.

PSU is the type of team right now that is going to lose the majority of Big 10 road games even if it gets favorable calls. Unless you are one of the truly elite teams, most college basketball teams are going to struggle to win road games and will look totally differently than they do when they play at home, and PSU is not one of the truly elite teams.

Realistically, how many Big 10 road games do you believe that this team is going to win? It's amazing that they were able to win at Illinois; Illinois' players must have partied hard the Friday night before that game. My answer to my own question is that they'll be fortunate to win two more road games.

Reactions: bdgan and bison13
Michigan shoots 25 free throws. PSU shoots 11. Game is at UM. Draw your own conclusions 🤔
Premier post player vs a freshman and some little guys, thats is why they shot 25. We shoot predominantly 3pointers other than Pickett, that is why we shot 11

Reactions: bdgan
Michigan has a 7'1" center who averages 18+ points a game. PSU defends with raw freshman Nije and 6'4" Dread. Also, Pickett is the only other PSU player who is effective in the paint. Michigan has a few kids who can drive and score. Now add that we were fouling late to stop the clock.

I don't think the FT differential had anything to do with home court bias.

Well, Purdue arguably has the most dominant big man in the conference, so how do you think that game is going to go?
Probably not good. We have to hope Funk & Dread have great shooting nights.

Reactions: bison13
Realistically, how many Big 10 road games do you believe that this team is going to win? It's amazing that they were able to win at Illinois; Illinois' players must have partied hard the Friday night before that game. My answer to my own question is that they'll be fortunate to win two more road games.
The odds would place it somewhere between 3 and 3.5. We certainly wouldn't be "fortunate" to only win 2 more on the road.

Well, Purdue arguably has the most dominant big man in the conference, so how do you think that game is going to go?
I have a pretty good idea how it’s going to go, we will likely lose, but I certainly don’t expect us to win them all for the rest of the year.

Reactions: bison13
When you're pretty much a perimeter team with very little inside game, you almost always are going to shoot fewer free throws than a team that has a decent inside game.

PSU is the type of team right now that is going to lose the majority of Big 10 road games even if it gets favorable calls. Unless you are one of the truly elite teams, most college basketball teams are going to struggle to win road games and will look totally differently than they do when they play at home, and PSU is not one of the truly elite teams.

Actually we take the ball inside a lot, but we don’t have a premiere big man so we don’t get the calls. Pickett goes inside all the time…he shot 7 free throws…if they called fouls on guys guarding him like they did on PSU guys guarding their inside man he would have shot twice that many. Officiating didn’t determine the game, but officials give way too much benefit of the doubt calls to big men in college basketball.

Reactions: The Spin Meister

They will be competitive in all of them i think but I would assume that @ Rutgres, @ Nebraska, @Maryland, @Minnesota and @ NW are their best chances. 3 and 2 in those is probable. I dont know if overall they can get to 500 in conference though

Actually we take the ball inside a lot, but we don’t have a premiere big man so we don’t get the calls. Pickett goes inside all the time…he shot 7 free throws…if they called fouls on guys guarding him like they did on PSU guys guarding their inside man he would have shot twice that many. Officiating didn’t determine the game, but officials give way too much benefit of the doubt calls to big men in college basketball.
Because big men are often the stars and they want the stars playing. Just like the NBA. If they called the fouls the bigs commit then every team would have their guards drive on them all game to get them into foul trouble…..and just can’t allow that.

ADVERTISEMENT