ADVERTISEMENT

MBB @ Rutgers

I agree there is no doubt hes frustrated with the foul calls… and he wears his emotions on his sleeve… but if somebody were to leave because of that I'm sorry that's pretty soft for a reason… I mean that reason would probably never come out…. but what about rutgers or Northwestern programs that have turned it around that not too long ago were bottom feeders… how about just find a way to be better with an experienced basketball team
Because if a better opportunity comes along for him, why wouldn’t the take it?

Rutgers is a top 10 team, playing them on their home court after losing a game they shouldnt have, was a very tough match for PSU.

WOuld like to see the team play with some more pace on offense against good defensive teams and dominant bigs. Try to get some transition 3's rather than the kick outs from PIckett in the post. PLus it could wear out the other bigs a little more when Mahaffey is in as the 5.

Rutgers is a top 10 team, playing them on their home court after losing a game they shouldnt have, was a very tough match for PSU.

WOuld like to see the team play with some more pace on offense against good defensive teams and dominant bigs. Try to get some transition 3's rather than the kick outs from PIckett in the post. PLus it could wear out the other bigs a little more when Mahaffey is in as the 5.
The Rutgers game in and of itself isn't an indictment of this team; Rutgers just is a much better team than PSU. However, it's just another example of how awful their results are in road games. By my count, they have won one real road game this season against Illinois, and I have no idea how that happened; that was akin to the Pirates beating the Dodgers 5 out of 6 this past season.

I know that college basketball probably is the sport that has the greatest home advantage. However, it's absurd at how differently this team plays and shoots at home compared to the road. This team basically has very little chance to win any road games because I believe that they're beaten before the game even begins.

Because if a better opportunity comes along for him, why wouldn’t the take it?
Better opportunity for sure....but I meant more about leaving b/c we don't get foul calls. Unless you are going to one of the big boys on tobacco road, or a small other blue blood group, nobody gets huge favoritism.

The Rutgers game in and of itself isn't an indictment of this team; Rutgers just is a much better team than PSU. However, it's just another example of how awful their results are in road games. By my count, they have won one real road game this season against Illinois, and I have no idea how that happened; that was akin to the Pirates beating the Dodgers 5 out of 6 this past season.

I know that college basketball probably is the sport that has the greatest home advantage. However, it's absurd at how differently this team plays and shoots at home compared to the road. This team basically has very little chance to win any road games because I believe that they're beaten before the game even begins.
Look at who we’ve played on the road…those 5 teams are a combined 49-8 at home. For a bubble team, I’d probably expect about 1.5 wins over those 5 games. We’ve been an underdog in all 5, and are 2-3 against the spread (and one of the losses was double OT as a dog).

We’re not really underperforming THAT poorly in road games, and our home loss to MSU is the worst loss of the year (only game we lost as a favorite). We’ll be a small favorite at Nebraska, and a heavier favorite at Minnesota.

Some nights it is fine to complain about the refs not calling fouls. Tonight was not one of them. Fouls had nothing to do with that effort.

Also, to the person that wants to see Henn more..have you even watched him play when he is in the game. He couldn't get on the court at the State College YMCA.

Some nights it is fine to complain about the refs not calling fouls. Tonight was not one of them. Fouls had nothing to do with that effort.

Also, to the person that wants to see Henn more..have you even watched him play when he is in the game. He couldn't get on the court at the State College YMCA.
I disagree. If the game was called even, we still lose against Rutgres. But the game should be called even. When the announcers are making excuses like well, he won't get that call because he's a freshman...or he had good position there, I don't like that call (multiple times)....

I’ve seen Henn play plenty at multiple stops…and nothing that he’s shown me this year leads me to believe that he couldn’t be giving us some minutes at the 5. He’s an obvious upgrade offensively over our other bigs, and I’m not seeing them doing that much defensively that I think he’d be a downgrade at that end over Njie and Dorsey.

Reactions: bison13
I’ve seen Henn play plenty at multiple stops…and nothing that he’s shown me this year leads me to believe that he couldn’t be giving us some minutes at the 5. He’s an obvious upgrade offensively over our other bigs, and I’m not seeing them doing that much defensively that I think he’d be a downgrade at that end over Njie and Dorsey.
He struggles to get up and down the court.

Look at who we’ve played on the road…those 5 teams are a combined 49-8 at home. For a bubble team, I’d probably expect about 1.5 wins over those 5 games. We’ve been an underdog in all 5, and are 2-3 against the spread (and one of the losses was double OT as a dog).

We’re not really underperforming THAT poorly in road games, and our home loss to MSU is the worst loss of the year (only game we lost as a favorite). We’ll be a small favorite at Nebraska, and a heavier favorite at Minnesota.
The problem is, PSU has blown multiple close game opportunities away from home which would have given them a buffer, and helped the resume. The neutral court 2 pt loss to a mid VT squad was disappointing. Yes, Clemson is really good now, but early in the year, when you have multiple opportunities to beat a team like that on the road, it's frustrating when that one gets away. Funk missed not one, but two chances in the final seconds which would have either beaten Wisky, or on the 2nd shot, sent it to OT...and we lost. Now, PSU has to win out at home (which only gets them to 18 wins), and in all likelihood, win a couple more on the road, and maybe grab one in the B1G tourney. 20 wins might not do it, but no way in heck do they get in without 20 wins. Not having an extra quality win or two away from the BJC is really hurting. Down the stretch in multiple losses of close games, we either have had bad possessions, or flat out missed open shots. IMO, very disappointing for the 'most experienced' team in the country, and a team whose perceived strength is outside shooting.

Reactions: ryoder1
The problem is, PSU has blown multiple close game opportunities away from home which would have given them a buffer, and helped the resume. The neutral court 2 pt loss to a mid VT squad was disappointing. Yes, Clemson is really good now, but early in the year, when you have multiple opportunities to beat a team like that on the road, it's frustrating when that one gets away. Funk missed not one, but two chances in the final seconds which would have either beaten Wisky, or on the 2nd shot, sent it to OT...and we lost. Now, PSU has to win out at home (which only gets them to 18 wins), and in all likelihood, win a couple more on the road, and maybe grab one in the B1G tourney. 20 wins might not do it, but no way in heck do they get in without 20 wins. Not having an extra quality win or two away from the BJC is really hurting. Down the stretch in multiple losses of close games, we either have had bad possessions, or flat out missed open shots. IMO, very disappointing for the 'most experienced' team in the country, and a team whose perceived strength is outside shooting.
We’d be a lock with 20 wins (assuming that it’s not including multiple wins in the BTT).

Last edited:
We’d be a lock with 20 wins (assuming that it’s not including multiple wins in the BTT).
Agreed....getting to 20 in the 'regular season' would feel close to a lock...but with this programs luck, nothing is guarantee. But, agreed...needing to get to 20 via the BTT probably won't cut it.

Who was the favorite in the VT match-up?

Better opportunity for sure....but I meant more about leaving b/c we don't get foul calls. Unless you are going to one of the big boys on tobacco road, or a small other blue blood group, nobody gets huge favoritism.
I’ve seen Shrews get mad in many games and not just against blue bloods. I’ve yet to see a conference game where our opponent has more fouls than we do and we don’t play all blue bloods.

Winning out at home and beating either Nebby or Minny on the road gets us to 20-11 and 11-9 in the conference. That should get us in. If we finish 19-12, 10-10 then we may need to win two in the BTT.

Reactions: scrivener
Winning out at home and beating either Nebby or Minny on the road gets us to 20-11 and 11-9 in the conference. That should get us in. If we finish 19-12, 10-10 then we may need to win two in the BTT.
19-12 (10-10) and we might not even need to win any in the Big Ten Tourney...really depends on where things fell with the tiebreakers. But one more at that point would almost certainly be enough...although your match is a bit off. We have 5 more homes games, so we'd need to sweep them and win 2 on the road to get to 20-11.

Reactions: scrivener
Winning all 5 at home will be tough, no gimmies. Outside of @Purdue, all of the rest of the road games are winnable IMO. I could realistically see 3-2 at home and 3-2 on the road for 19-11 before the BTT. Lots can happen in a month though, some teams get hot and others fall back, some get injuries etc. Winning Sunday against Michigan is kind of a must win though.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
19-12 (10-10) and we might not even need to win any in the Big Ten Tourney...really depends on where things fell with the tiebreakers. But one more at that point would almost certainly be enough...although your match is a bit off. We have 5 more homes games, so we'd need to sweep them and win 2 on the road to get to 20-11.
You are right, for some reason I was counting NW as a home game. I think we lose to them there.

Beat Mich, Illinois, Wisky, MD, Rutgers at home

Beat Nebby and Minny on the road.

That gets us to 11-9. If we are 10-10 then we may not need to win a BTT game like you say but that is cutting it close.

If the Neb player who got hurt in our game is still out then that could be very winnable. As for Minny, they only have one conference win but who knows when we play them as we could make them look like an NBA team.

You are right, for some reason I was counting NW as a home game. I think we lose to them there.

That gets us to 11-9. If we are 10-10 then we may not need to win a BTT game like you say but that is cutting it close.

If the Neb player who got hurt in our game is still out then that could be very winnable. As for Minny, they only have one conference win but who knows when we play them as we could make them look like an NBA team.
He is out, Emmanuel Bandoumel is his name. Also don't have another starter, Juwan Gary out for the season.

I like the way we match up with Northwestern…small guards, which plays to Pickett’s game, and not a dominant post player. Likely comes down to our role players being able to make open shots away from home (they really like to guard the paint).

I like the way we match up with Northwestern…small guards, which plays to Pickett’s game, and not a dominant post player. Likely comes down to our role players being able to make open shots away from home (they really like to guard the paint).
agree I think they can get NW, NU and UMinn on the road.

Thay would be a nice win for Shrews and company. NW is 5-3 in the conference and they beat MSU on the road. They also beat Indiana on the road but that was when Indiana was playing horribly and had no one stepping up after losing two starters. They beat Neb last night in Lincoln but same deal, Neb down two starters. Shrews does need to start winning some of these games for momentum and for the tournament resume.

Reactions: bdgan

Last year @ The Barn some hometown super senior who hadn't done much in his time as a Gopher had a career high in ponts and maybe rebounds to hold us off. We have proven over the years to be a really sad road team...hopefully we compete hard and win 2 of 3 of NW, Minny and Neb...don't care which we win...but NW would have more value.

ADVERTISEMENT