ADVERTISEMENT

MBB @ Rutgers

I’m not seeing it from Njie….I know he’s a freshman, but he has terrible hands and he gets way too many shots blocked. I hope he can develop, but to me it doesn’t look like a development issue, it looks like a lack of basketball ability issue.
I think he'll develop. Sometimes it takes a while for big men.

Reactions: Online Persona
well that game sucked
As I’ve been saying for several weeks, any Big 10 road game that they win will be an upset, and that includes at Minnesota and Nebraska; it will require the other team losing it more than PSU winning it.

When you get down to it, although some of the parts may look more like a real Big 10 roster, this still is s team that’s going to finish in the bottom third of a pretty ordinary conference this season, which means they’re a typical PSU hoops team. I imagine that it will be the same five years from now; it’s just the same old, same old.

Reactions: WaylonJ
Shrewsberry laid it on the line during his post game interview.

Played soft
Can't play with only 3 players
Fouls not called on Pickett

As I’ve been saying for several weeks, any Big 10 road game that they win will be an upset, and that includes at Minnesota and Nebraska; it will require the other team losing it more than PSU winning it.

When you get down to it, although some of the parts may look more like a real Big 10 roster, this still is s team that’s going to finish in the bottom third of a pretty ordinary conference this season, which means they’re a typical PSU hoops team. I imagine that it will be the same five years from now; it’s just the same old, same old.
Unfortunately great high school players don’t want to come and play basketball at Penn State. It’s hard to win when your best player is a point guard.

Shrewsberry laid it on the line during his post game interview.

Played soft
Can't play with only 3 players
Fouls not called on Pickett
I have a strong feeling Shrewsberry is getting tired of the officiating PSU gets and likely won’t stay around long. Teams that are traditionally in the bottom of a conference usually don’t get the calls in basketball. He’s made a few comments this year and he’s been tee’d up a couple of times. It’s got to be frustrating.

Shrews went absolutely postal in the post game which I love…. called out the team for being soft and lacking defensive pride… he also wants to see more than 3 guys show up each night… I love the fact that hes visceral with his emotions and that he actually cares about this horrible program

Reactions: bdgan
I have a strong feeling Shrewsberry is getting tired of the officiating PSU gets and likely won’t stay around long. Teams that are traditionally in the bottom of a conference usually don’t get the calls in basketball. He’s made a few comments this year and he’s been tee’d up a couple of times. It’s got to be frustrating.
He's also begging for money, and I don't mean that in a bad way, it's what he has to do. PSU is so far down the pecking order for getting cash and prizes for the kids...the roster we have now will probably be the best we ever have going forward. His job is like being governor of Haiti. I like Shrews, I truly do. He's funny and kinda hip and says the right things and he's no bullshit, but he will never stay here long and I don't blame him. He is worthy of a real job.

Reactions: bison13
I agree there is no doubt hes frustrated with the foul calls… and he wears his emotions on his sleeve… but if somebody were to leave because of that I'm sorry that's pretty soft for a reason… I mean that reason would probably never come out…. but what about rutgers or Northwestern programs that have turned it around that not too long ago were bottom feeders… how about just find a way to be better with an experienced basketball team

Unfortunately great high school players don’t want to come and play basketball at Penn State. It’s hard to win when your best player is a point guard.
It just shouldn’t be that hard for a school like PSU that is so close to basketball hotbeds like DC, Baltimore, Philly and NYC to attract two or three AA caliber kids who would be able to turn this program around, because that’s all that it would take in this sport. Once the program gets turned around, then it could self-perpetuate itself.

Is this program any better now than when Chambers was the coach? I don’t think so. Certainly the alleged good recruits that the current coach has brought in basically are propelling PSU to the same mediocre results as the less-hyped kids under previous regimes did.

All that I know is that this team would’ve made the tournament in 2020 under Chambers, whereas I don’t know when the current coach is going to do this. It’s certainly not going to be this season, and most likely not next season either.

Shrews went absolutely postal in the post game which I love…. called out the team for being soft and lacking defensive pride… he also wants to see more than 3 guys show up each night… I love the fact that hes visceral with his emotions and that he actually cares about this horrible program
Caring about it and doing something about it are two different things...the latter is where the rubber hits the road.

Caring about it and doing something about it are two different things...the latter is where the rubber hits the road.
Of course no doubt.. I mean I could be confident in thinking that Micah l will certainly do his darndest to get some pride and toughness in his team… but that's hard to do with this roster.

I like that too but I remember a football coach who went even more postal after another blown 4th quarter lead against OSU. The trajectory was downward after that.

but what about rutgers or Northwestern programs that have turned it around that not too long ago were bottom feeders… how about just find a way to be better with an experienced basketball team
Pike has done a fantastic job at Rutgers…but I’m not seeing it with Northwestern (they aren’t any better than us today, and I’d take our trajectory moving forward).

I agree there is no doubt hes frustrated with the foul calls… and he wears his emotions on his sleeve… but if somebody were to leave because of that I'm sorry that's pretty soft for a reason… I mean that reason would probably never come out…. but what about rutgers or Northwestern programs that have turned it around that not too long ago were bottom feeders… how about just find a way to be better with an experienced basketball team
Little ole Northwestern already has won at MSU and Indiana, and just beat Wisconsin at home this past weekend. That’s a program that has been to the Tournament one time, I believe, a few years ago, and obviously has tough admission standards. With that said, Northwestern is a much more complete team than PSU.

Last edited:
Reactions: scrivener
Caring about it and doing something about it are two different things
He can't man, that's the point. He's not God. Where are the difference makers going to come from? We have consistently filled rosters with great stories and fine athletes and one or two great players making the rest of the guys overachieve. Very respectable, embraceable guys we all loved to watch play. Not good enough. They're the Bad News Bears and have been since the Truman administration.

Need to make shots if we’re going to beat a team like Rutgers. Lots of good looks that didn’t fall. Also need to find a way to generate something on the offensive glass…I understand the desire to shut down transition, but we’re not getting any second chance opportunities (and on a key possession when we actually did tonight, we missed two clean looks).

Pike has done a fantastic job at Rutgers…but I’m not seeing it with Northwestern (they aren’t any better than us today, and I’d take our trajectory moving forward).
I’ve watched a lot of Northwestern this season on the BTN. IMO, they’re better than PSU. They have two high scoring guards and actually can score from the inside.

Last edited:
what about rutgers or Northwestern programs that have turned it around that not too long ago were bottom feeders… how about just find a way to be better with an experienced basketball team
How much different do you think that game would have been if Omoruyi played for PSU instead of Rutgers?

Rutgers out rebounded PSU by 17, made 10 more FTs, and had 29 points in the pain in the first half. PSU's best rebounder is their point guard. It's not realistic to expect to overcome that if Dread shoots better from 3.

If PSU had a big post player like Omoruyi they would be at least 16-3 instead of 12-7.

I’ve watched a lot of Northwestern this season on the BTN. IMO, they’re better than PSU. They have two high scoring guards and they actually can score from the inside.
We’d be favored over them on a neutral court tomorrow. They are 340th in the country in 2pt FG%…they are very good defensively, but struggle shooting the ball. Buie and Aldridge are high volume guys that score, but take a lot of shots to get there.

How much different do you think that game would have been if Omoruyi played for PSU instead of Rutgers?

Rutgers out rebounded PSU by 17, made 10 more FTs, and had 29 points in the pain in the first half. PSU's best rebounder is their point guard. It's not realistic to expect to overcome that if Dread shoots better from 3.

If PSU had a big post player like Omoruyi they would be at least 16-3 instead of 12-7.
If PSU had Harrar this year to take on the bigs, rebound, and provide toughness and heart, no doubt it would be a huge difference maker. But, they dont. There are countless teams that are small, guard oriented and live by the 3 game....we are one of them. Still doesn't excuse the total bagel nights that Dread, Wynter, et al have frequently. Shrews even said it in the postgame...we can't have only 3 guys show up nightly and we need some defensive pride. That, has nothing to do with having a big.

I’m still surprised at the lack of minutes for Henn…seems like he’d still bring us what we’re looking for at the offensive end while still offering some more size. Maybe he’s just not showing enough at practice, but he’s the guy that I was expecting a lot more from heading into the season.

Little ole Northwestern already has won at MSU and Indiana, and just beat Wisconsin at home this past weekend. That’s a program that has been to the Tournament one time, I believe, a few years ago, and obviously has tough admission standards. With that said, Northwestern is a much more complete team than PSU.
Yep, that's what I was getting at...NW's tradition is worse than PSU's, and that is saying something. Their admission standards blow ours away, and they have made the tournament most recently (yes I know 2020 would have happened). And the fact that they have a more 'complete team' to this point, as you mentioned than PSU does, is pretty disappointing.

If PSU had Harrar this year to take on the bigs, rebound, and provide toughness and heart, no doubt it would be a huge difference maker. But, they dont. There are countless teams that are small, guard oriented and live by the 3 game....we are one of them. Still doesn't excuse the total bagel nights that Dread, Wynter, et al have frequently. Shrews even said it in the postgame...we can't have only 3 guys show up nightly and we need some defensive pride. That, has nothing to do with having a big.
I totally agree with you. College basketball, and even the NBA to some extent, largely has become a three-point shooting contest.

Reactions: scrivener
Yep, that's what I was getting at...NW's tradition is worse than PSU's, and that is saying something. Their admission standards blow ours away, and they have made the tournament most recently (yes I know 2020 would have happened). And the fact that they have a more 'complete team' to this point, as you mentioned than PSU does, is pretty disappointing.
What about Northwestern makes them “complete”? They are average offensively and struggle shooting the ball.

doesn't excuse the total bagel nights that Dread, Wynter, et al
Wynter averaged 16 pts and 5 assists for Drexel. His numbers are half that for PSU. He's a marginal P5 player.

Dread has never been able to create his own shot. He's never even tried to take the ball to the rim. He's a spot up shooter who needs somebody else to get him a good shot. That's what he is and has always been.

I totally agree with you. College basketball, and even the NBA to some extent, largely has become a three-point shootin

What about Northwestern makes them “complete”? They are average offensively and struggle shooting the ball.
Maybe they aren't complete...but have some nice B1G wins...and Collins takes marginal talent at an absolute tradition-less program, into a tough battle nightly.

Wynter averaged 16 pts and 5 assists for Drexel. His numbers are half that for PSU. He's a marginal P5 player.

Dread has never been able to create his own shot. He's never even tried to take the ball to the rim. He's a spot up shooter who needs somebody else to get him a good shot. That's what he is and has always been.
Isn't it a problem that he never even tries to take it to the basket? if he simply can't drive to the basket, than he shouldn't be on the court for key minutes. Beyond that fact, he puts up bagels and can't hit the open shots when someone does create for him. Either way, he is a marginal B1G player who has compiled 1k pts.

Isn't it a problem that he never even tries to take it to the basket? if he simply can't drive to the basket, than he shouldn't be on the court for key minutes. Beyond that fact, he puts up bagels and can't hit the open shots when someone does create for him. Either way, he is a marginal B1G player who has compiled 1k pts.
We don’t win at Illinois without him knocking down all of those 3s (and several other games through his career). But if you can run at him, he’s not much of a threat (he ever passed up one near layup tonight to kick it back out).

Rutgers did a good job staying with our guys and not leaving Dread (although he did get a few really good looks)…one advantage is that Rutgers has that size and doesn’t have to give much help on Pickett, whereas many others are helping a lot more and allowing Jalen to find the shooters.

Maybe they aren't complete...but have some nice B1G wins...and Collins takes marginal talent at an absolute tradition-less program, into a tough battle nightly.
All that I know is that they already have beaten MSU and Indiana on the road, which you know that this PSU team almost certainly would not be able to do, and just beat Wisconsin, which beats PSU almost every time they play.

1. He can't do it. He tried once today and had his shot blocked.
  2. He's on the court because we don't have anybody better than him at this point.

1. He can't do it. He tried once today and had his shot blocked.
  2. He's on the court because we don't have anybody better than him at this point.
I think Mahaffey would not be much worse than Dread if he ate some of his minutes. Evan would provide length and more athleticism, at the very least.

If only the stars aligned when Battle was here with Shrews. Coach would have been just a kid in '01-02. The season isn't over yet, we have to keep the faith. As bad as tonight was the boys can demoralize teams when things are going good. It would have been fun watching Coach Shrews with Battle in the chamber every night.

Are there enough games left that we can do that?

A bit of a meltdown here over the loss, I get it but we need to step back.

-We are going to have lousy games, it happens. Look at the conference. MSU got bost raced by Indiana, Purdon't sneaks by MD at home and by the way lost to this Rutgers team. Wisky loses to NW. O$U on a losing streak including losing to last place Minny at home, Illinois on a losing streak, crushed by Indiana at home although winning tonight. Indiana getting blitzed by PSU, etc. etc. Of course our talent cannot weather a bad performance like some others.

-Shrews needs to somehow get us to the dance. This was not a game we had to win to get there, would have been great but I had it as a loss. We do have to run the table at home starting with Mich on Sun. Need to beat either Nebby or Minny on the road. It is possible and not a far fetched dream. Can't play or shoot like we did tonight, though.

-Give Shrews time to develop some of the young guys. Saying some of these guys will never be legitimate Power 5 guys is premature in my opinion. Also the portal has totally disrupted college basketball like college football. We can do some damage there for next season. Also have Booth and Braeden Shrewsberry coming in. Yes, I know we lose Pickett, etc but we are not going to collapse as a program.

NW is not better than we are. C'mon. They may have better post play so I guess more "complete"?? They are not better. Purdue is better, Sparty better, NW, No. Does that mean they can't beat us. No, they can beat us but we can easily beat them and I expect us to win when we play them at BJC.

-On this game, I missed the second half but it was 37-34 with 13 min left and we managed to lose 65-45, that's a 28-11 Rutgers run. Not sure what happened besides us missing practically every shot. Is that going to happen most nights, No. The score looks lopsided, just need to regroup, doesn't mean the program is now in free fall.

I love Shrews getting emotional especially about defense. Defense is effort and grit, you can bring that every night and make up for less talent within reason. That is why Harrar was so valuable for us. He epitomized grit. IF we can bring gritty D every night we have a good shot of winning and yes that means winning on the road such as at Minny or Nebby.

I am still optimistic about this program and what Shrews is building.

It just shouldn’t be that hard for a school like PSU that is so close to basketball hotbeds like DC, Baltimore, Philly and NYC to attract two or three AA caliber kids who would be able to turn this program around, because that’s all that it would take in this sport. Once the program gets turned around, then it could self-perpetuate itself.

Is this program any better now than when Chambers was the coach? I don’t think so. Certainly the alleged good recruits that the current coach has brought in basically are propelling PSU to the same mediocre results as the less-hyped kids under previous regimes did.

All that I know is that this team would’ve made the tournament in 2020 under Chambers, whereas I don’t know when the current coach is going to do this. It’s certainly not going to be this season, and most likely not next season either.
Chambers had what 8 years or whatever. Shrews is in year two. Wait and let him build the program or don't.

ADVERTISEMENT