ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Reid

psulongago

Aug 29, 2001
A reason to be Penn State proud, don't read much about him on the boards, I was a student a few years before Mike. I can list accomplishments, but for those interested please search yourselves and be impressed,

The two PSU players that come to mind first are Mike Reid and John Cappelletti. I actually met Cappelletti a few decades back and - needless to say - he was a class act

Reactions: We Are . . .
The two PSU players that come to mind first are Mike Reid and John Cappelletti. I actually met Cappelletti a few decades back and - needless to say - he was a class act
Check Mike Reid's post football career, grammy winning music writer, 30 top 10 songs. Wrote a favorite for Bonnie Rait, I can't make you love me. Much more than football,

I’ve been told he often yelled, “ Fu@& no, N….!” at our opponents during games in the 1960’s. Is this true?
What an ignorant remark, you realize your namesake software has been banned in US. Do you even know who Mike Reid is, are you aware of his post (since you appear to be a dummy that means after) football accomplishments. I will not engage you further.

Reactions: RickinDayton
What an ignorant remark, you realize your namesake software has been banned in US. Do you even know who Mike Reid is, are you aware of his post (since you appear to be a dummy that means after) football accomplishments. I will not engage you further.
Sorry you don’t understand my comments. Read the post about our defensive back getting caught on the hot field mic during the WVU game. My comments were intended to indict those who invoked the great Mike Reid’s name in their attempts to minimize that quote.

Not only do I know who Mike Reid is, he was one of the first group of Penn State players that I got to see play in person. Again, I apologize for you misunderstanding my post.

Reactions: therod
I've been an ardent fan (to say the least) of PSU football since 1959. Mike Reid is the best player I've ever seen play in the blue and white. So dominant on the field and a person to be admired off the field. To me he was unquestionably the best

I've been an ardent fan (to say the least) of PSU football since 1959. Mike Reid is the best player I've ever seen play in the blue and white. So dominant on the field and a person to be admired off the field. To me he was unquestionably the best
And along with Franco, one of the few who had Joe’s back from the jump, before the benefit of seeing which way the wind was blowing.

There are multiple interviews with Mike on line talking about this song. The way it all came together with Bruce Hornsby and Bonnie Raitt was part magic and part, I don't know, destiny? Such a beautiful song.

There are multiple interviews with Mike on line talking about this song. The way it all came together with Bruce Hornsby and Bonnie Raitt was part magic and part, I don't know, destiny? Such a beautiful song.

It is instructive how high character people like Mike Reid and Franco, as opposed to the low-lifes at ESPN, talked about Joe. Mike said his motivation was in not disappointing Joe. Franco said he couldn’t understand why Joe was always on his back. Then when he went to the Senior Bowl he realized that he was better than all those guys but hadn’t realized his potential that Joe saw in him. Joe was a catalyst in the success of these two very different but ultra high achieving people and they were both grateful for that role he played in their lives.

As I was told many years ago, Mike Reid was so fast that at times would be called for offsides because he was on the QB's case before he actually received the snap from the Center.

Joe's first win, I believe.
A quick search shows his career was ‘66, ‘68-‘69. What happened in ‘67? Wouldn’t freshmen have been ineligible in ‘66? Maybe he was a freshman in ‘65 and injured in ‘67. I think he may have even wrestled in ‘67.

A quick search shows his career was ‘66, ‘68-‘69. What happened in ‘67? Wouldn’t freshmen have been ineligible in ‘66? Maybe he was a freshman in ‘65 and injured in ‘67. I think he may have even wrestled in ‘67.
He tore up his knee wrestling. I assume that was during the '66-'67 wrestling season, and took a medical redshirt in '67. As usual, I could be wrong, but that seems to make sense. BTW, "Lost in the 50s Tonight" is another great song from Mr. Reid, sung by Ronny Milsap.

He tore up his knee wrestling. I assume that was during the '66-'67 wrestling season, and took a medical redshirt in '67. As usual, I could be wrong, but that seems to make sense. BTW, "Lost in the 50s Tonight" is another great song from Mr. Reid, sung by Ronny Milsap.
Now it makes sense. I think you have it right. I know he has said that he had several serious injuries and that contributed to his decision to move on from football.

Freshman in 65 and injured in 67 but he used the time wisely he was one of the leads in the play: Reid played Chicago gangster Big Julie in Penn State's production of the musical Guys and Dolls.

Now it makes sense. I think you have it right. I know he has said that he had several serious injuries and that contributed to his decision to move on from football.
He retired from the Bengals while still playing well and relatively young, I remember reading he said during a game one of his teammates got seriously hurt late in a game…knocked unconscious.

Reid, not realizing how serious it was, went running over yelling at him to get up or it would cost the team a timeout. When he realized his friend could have died while he was worried about a timeout…… he felt guilty and it took the fun out of the game. Retired the following season,

Last edited:
He retired from the Bengals while still playing well and relatively young, I remember trading he said during z game one of his teammates got seriously hurt late in a game…knocked unconscious.

Reid, not realizing how serious it was, went running over yelling at him to get up or it would cost the team a timeout. When he realized his friend could have died while he was worried about a timeout…… he felt guilty and it took the fun out of the game. Retired the following season,
He is a remarkable person all around and a great example of the kind of guys Joe recruited and won with. They weren’t just football players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT