ADVERTISEMENT

Mildly interesting notes on PSU Cert weights

CSauertiegPSU

Staff
Oct 9, 2013
Doesn’t mean anything re: where they’ll compete, but interesting that Van Ness is certified at 165 and Haines at 174. Meaning both will have at least a decent cut. Not surprising for Haines, but surprising for Van Ness.

Reactions: Ja1339
Van Ness looks like he went through puberty this past offseason. Looks like a grown man now so not shocking he might be heavier than what he was coming in (high 140s?)

One thing is for sure, he won't be undersized at 149 lol.

Yeah I mean Van Ness isn’t super tall so it’s hard to see him getting too too big. Haines was always gonna have to shrink down a bit.

I recall when SVN announced his commitment, he and his Dad mentioned they could see him moving up to 57 at some point.

Guess this means Kasak could eventually go at 149 after SVN moves up to 57.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
Doesn’t mean anything re: where they’ll compete, but interesting that Van Ness is certified at 165 and Haines at 174. Meaning both will have at least a decent cut. Not surprising for Haines, but surprising for Van Ness.
LOL certified doesn't mean that's what they weigh!!

Reactions: Str8DBLz
Oh my, it’s that time of year again when many need the process explained, and the meaning of various terms gets all bungled.

• Haha
Reactions: Str8DBLz
yes, would be a good idea to summarize it here!
Not an expert on the terms, but here are the keys points in plain English (excepting my lousy typing).

At your cert weigh in you must be sufficiently hydrated according to a pee specific gravity rule. If you don’t come in under the SG limit, you get turned away and must try again at a later time/date.

Once you pass the pee density test and step on the scale your weight is recorded, and your %body fat is measured. Your lowest allowable weigh-in for the season is the body weight that corresponds to 5% body fat. So if you weigh in at 150 with 10% body fat, you can weigh in at no less than 150 - 150(10%-5%), or 142.5 at any official weigh-in. Your body fat and pee specific gravity are not part of the in-season weigh-in process, only the certification. ((My guess here is that the “cert weights” thrown about in this thread are actually the lowest weight class each wrestler would have had to wrestle at on the day of the certification weigh-in had there been a meet, e.g., a 157.1 weigh-in shows up as a 165 “cert weight” as el jefe noted))

The lowest weight class you can therefore wrestle at is the one corresponding to your lowest allowable weigh-in. In the example above you could wrestle 149 or above, but not 141, because 142.5 is above 141. Even if you wanted to wrestle 149 I don’t believe you could weigh in under 142.5.

During the season you can lose weight at the rate of 1.5% (or less) of body weight per week. So at each weigh-in you can calculate a max descent rate plan to hit any target down to your minimum. Failure to stay on that plan at a subsequent weigh-in delays your progress down from the original max descent trajectory. Essentially every weigh-in resets/revised how low you can go at subsequent weigh-ins.

There are also rules about wrestling up weight classes (then descending) that rarely come into play for full-time starters (usually backups like Mason Manville that are game to wrestle at 184 but could in principle get to 165).

Last edited:
Not an expert on the terms, but here are the keys points in plain English (excepting my lousy typing).

At your cert weigh in you must be sufficiently hydrated according to a pee specific gravity rule. If you don’t come in under the SG limit, you get turned away and must try again at a later time/date.

Once you pass the pee density test and step on the scale your weight is recorded, and your %body fat is measured. Your lowest allowable weigh-in for the season is the body weight that corresponds to 5% body fat. So if you weigh in at 150 with 10% body fat, you can weigh in at no less than 150 - 150(10%-5%), or 142.5 at any official weigh-in. Your body fat and pee specific gravity are not part of the in-season weigh-in process, only the certification. ((My guess here is that the “cert weights” thrown about in this thread are actually the lowest weight class each wrestler would have had to wrestle at on the day of the certification weigh-in had there been a meet, e.g., a 157.1 weigh-in shows up as a 165 “cert weight” as el jefe noted))

The lowest weight class you can therefore wrestle at is the one corresponding to your lowest allowable weigh-in. In the example above you could wrestle 149 or above, but not 141, because 142.5 is above 141. Even if you wanted to wrestle 149 I don’t believe you could weigh in under 142.5.

During the season you can lose weight at the rate of 1.5% (or less) of body weight per week. So at each weigh-in you can calculate a max descent rate plan to hit any target down to your minimum. Failure to stay on that plan at a subsequent weigh-in delays your progress down from the original max descent trajectory. Essentially every weigh-in resets/revised how low you can go at subsequent weigh-ins.

There are also rules about wrestling up weight classes (then descending) that rarely come into play for full-time starters (usually backups like Mason Manville that are game to wrestle at 184 but could in principle get to 165).
For sure, I wasn’t stating that Van Ness will wrestle that weight or that he’s gonna have a hard time making weight. Just that he walks around a bit bigger than some of us would have thought.

Listen I get all the mumbo jumbo about cert and specific gravity pee and all that. Ok maybe I don't. Someone like me just wants to know without doing all the math or googling it is what lowest weight can van ness go? Can he wrestle 149 or do we not know that because we don't know the body fat. Who the f... Came up with this shit anyhow somebody get bored at the NCAA one year and decided to confuse the shit outta everybody wtf

Listen I get all the mumbo jumbo about cert and specific gravity pee and all that. Ok maybe I don't. Someone like me just wants to know without doing all the math or googling it is what lowest weight can van ness go? Can he wrestle 149 or do we not know that because we don't know the body fat. Who the f... Came up with this shit anyhow somebody get bored at the NCAA one year and decided to confuse the shit outta everybody wtf
Nobody knows because Track doesn't list his actual weight on cert day or his body fat. Need both of those to calculate his lowest legal weight.

ADVERTISEMENT