ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile phone tech is unbelievable right now.

Obliviax

Gold Member
Aug 21, 2001
Pixel 9 release today includes
  1. AI-enhanced skin tones, gestures, shadows, etc.
  2. Ability to add someone to a photograph who wasn't there
  3. Pixelstudio image generator
  4. AI-enhanced zoom
  5. 8K video
  6. Move anything in the photo to another location
  7. "Find" within a screen shot
  8. Call Assist AI which lets you summarize a phone conversation
  9. Weather app with customized widgets to highlight characteristics you want to follow
  10. Multimodality

4. AI-enhanced zoom
  5. 8K video
  9. Weather app with customized widgets to highlight characteristics you want to follow
  10. Multimodality
I use the summarize feature on articles.

I'm most impressed with foreign languages. Messages are translated and you can even speak one language in a phone call while the recipient hears another language. That would have been awesome back in the day when I did a lot of international travel.

Reactions: Obliviax
  4. AI-enhanced zoom
  5. 8K video
  10. Multimodality
Sounds like it will be used to harm people as well. Adding someone to a photograph who wasn't there? What could go wrong?

Reactions: bison13
Sounds like it will be used to harm people as well. Adding someone to a photograph who wasn't there? What could go wrong?
that horse left the barn a long time ago. I chose to think of the good, not the bad. These edited photos are time-stamped so you can validate if it was altered or not.

As a friend of mine always says, "someone invented the shovel. You can hit someone over the head with it or you can build the foundation for a new home."

Seems that google is prioritizing tech improvements mostly with the camera and not the overall phone.

Reactions: EdwardoCarrachio
Seems that google is prioritizing tech improvements mostly with the camera and not the overall phone.
I agree. The "phone" is dying. Kids text. If that isn't good enough, they use facetime or Skype. Most of the popular apps have it built in like snapchat. So the tech and quality of cellular is suffering.

And they don't seem to be upgrading networks. Cell phone coverage has deteriorated in a lot of places. You have more people accessing the networks and it has aging equipment. Not a good combo.

4. AI-enhanced zoom
  5. 8K video
  10. Multimodality
Gee…..what could go wrong🤷🏿‍♂️

Reactions: EdwardoCarrachio
Phones are essentially commodities now. The big innovations with new models each year don't really seem to move the needle very much with the general public anymore. Sure some of the power users and techy folks will get excited about some of it, but the phone races of years past are ancient history. I think now it's all about which technology ecosystem you prefer and then just renewing with another model when your current phone starts to underperform. Android/Apple is the first big category, and within Android you've got those that like the Samsung ecosystem and those on Google, which is a less altered version on Android. I think those factors drive more purchasing decisions that the latest features.

4. AI-enhanced zoom
  5. 8K video
  10. Multimodality

Calling these phones is the mistake.

Basically hand held network super computers.

Phones are essentially commodities now. The big innovations with new models each year don't really seem to move the needle very much with the general public anymore. Sure some of the power users and techy folks will get excited about some of it, but the phone races of years past are ancient history. I think now it's all about which technology ecosystem you prefer and then just renewing with another model when your current phone starts to underperform. Android/Apple is the first big category, and within Android you've got those that like the Samsung ecosystem and those on Google, which is a less altered version on Android. I think those factors drive more purchasing decisions that the latest features.
I wonder what Steve Jobs would have up his sleeve if he was around today. He’d be working on something new that people didn’t realize they wanted until Apple created it.

Reactions: mhlarch
And they don't seem to be upgrading networks. Cell phone coverage has deteriorated in a lot of places. You have more people accessing the networks and it has aging equipment. Not a good combo.
Yep. they no longer care about cell phones. It is all about data. I lost power for three days last week and have a generator but my wifi went out. I was amazed that I was able to have full Zoom meetings and stream my TV off of my 5G phone with no loss in capabilities.
I wonder what Steve Jobs would have up his sleeve if he was around today. He’d be working on something new that people didn’t realize they wanted until Apple created it.
Jobs was amazing. Apple II, GUI interface, iPhone and downloadable apps were all game changers (Lisa and iPads, not so much). Microsoft was never really an innovator but bought innovation and made it mainstream. Musk is the only person in Jobs' category in our lifetimes. Apple has just been "OK" under the post Jobs leadership IMHO.

Reactions: Ski and mhlarch
My wife and I are moderate cell phone users- me moreso than her as I use it for text/What's App, to get my news since she doesn't like to have ANY news on our TVs, and things like scores/this forum etc.

Our latest models were only about 2 years old when mine took a swim in January and went on the Disabled List. She made me re-boot my spare- a 2019 Samsung to use until she was ready to upgrade so that we stayed in lock step. One positive of having a crappy old phone is that I used it less- in theory giving up screentime. A big negative is that so many features have been so upgraded that it was almost unusable.Small things like emojis wouldn't translate onto my chats because I didn't have them in my old school closet and I'd just get little Xs (I guess). Substandard communication was the result.

Well on Sunday she dropped her phone and broke it. We were bummed- and expected to have to invest $1,000-$2,000 in new phones. Went to COSTCO- and they had just converted to T-Mobile. Apparently each store is contracted out separately. The other COSTCO in our area is AT&T and remains so. The deal they offered us to switch from Verizon was 2 "Free" lowest end model Samsung phones (in theory $800 each), $150 Visa Gift card per line and $150 COSTCO gift card per line (total of $600 in gift cards). This is for a 2 year commitment with Unlimited Data for $110 total per month (including all taxes/fees etc). They also offered a 3rd line for +$10/month but we have no use for that.

We had been with Verizon for 25 years and put up with their moderate coverage in our area- but we were only paying ~$90 per month and did not have unlimited data. So overall- this feels like a BIG WIN for basic users like us. My bride handled almost all of the process- but just like a car dealership you could see that there was a "Salesperson", a "Manager", and a "Finance" person. After my wife had agreed to "buy" the phones and switch to T Mobile, THEN they hit us with all sorts of Upgrade opportunities, "special financing", "Free" Samsung tablets (for a small monthly service fee) etc etc etc. Same sort of grind from the pre-Carvana car buying days....took almost 2 hours. We declined EVERYTHING and the Manager seemed pretty unhappy- even giving my bride a snarky look at one point. My wife's dad was a car salesman and she HATES Huckster Sales Tactics....plus she is from Jersey so she didn't take any of her crap. It was almost like a Time Share presentation....but we bought ABSOLUTELY NOTHING EXTRA.

What seemed like an expense has turned into a product and service upgrade with 2 new phones and $600 in our pockets towards paying our phone bill. I teach high school and kids DEFINITELY classify each other based on the type of phone you have- they make fun of my phone all of the time. Kinda like Levi's and Nike's from those of us who went to school in the 80s. Anything less and you are shamed by the "Leaders." The bottom of the line is so much better than what I've had- so I don't care what it is.

Our son was pissed we didn't go i Phone- but he doesn't pay our bills (and we just finally got done paying his). For us- this feels incredible....I'm not sure how T Mobile will be making money off of us....but for a 2 year contract that seems more than fair. But that Acquisition cost seems awfully high....to our benefit.

If he were the Apple fans would line up to buy it no matter what it was. If you couldn't tell, I'm team Android. Apple is full of proprietary crap that locks you into their ecosystem and allows them to charge insane prices with high margins for accessories that don't use industry standard tech. No thanks, hard pass.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and mhlarch
My wife and I are moderate cell phone users- me moreso than her as I use it for text/What's App, to get my news since she doesn't like to have ANY news on our TVs, and things like scores/this forum etc.

Our latest models were only about 2 years old when mine took a swim in January and went on the Disabled List. She made me re-boot my spare- a 2019 Samsung to use until she was ready to upgrade so that we stayed in lock step. One positive of having a crappy old phone is that I used it less- in theory giving up screentime. A big negative is that so many features have been so upgraded that it was almost unusable.Small things like emojis wouldn't translate onto my chats because I didn't have them in my old school closet and I'd just get little Xs (I guess). Substandard communication was the result.

Well on Sunday she dropped her phone and broke it. We were bummed- and expected to have to invest $1,000-$2,000 in new phones. Went to COSTCO- and they had just converted to T-Mobile. Apparently each store is contracted out separately. The other COSTCO in our area is AT&T and remains so. The deal they offered us to switch from Verizon was 2 "Free" lowest end model Samsung phones (in theory $800 each), $150 Visa Gift card per line and $150 COSTCO gift card per line (total of $600 in gift cards). This is for a 2 year commitment with Unlimited Data for $110 total per month (including all taxes/fees etc). They also offered a 3rd line for +$10/month but we have no use for that.

We had been with Verizon for 25 years and put up with their moderate coverage in our area- but we were only paying ~$90 per month and did not have unlimited data. So overall- this feels like a BIG WIN for basic users like us. My bride handled almost all of the process- but just like a car dealership you could see that there was a "Salesperson", a "Manager", and a "Finance" person. After my wife had agreed to "buy" the phones and switch to T Mobile, THEN they hit us with all sorts of Upgrade opportunities, "special financing", "Free" Samsung tablets (for a small monthly service fee) etc etc etc. Same sort of grind from the pre-Carvana car buying days....took almost 2 hours. We declined EVERYTHING and the Manager seemed pretty unhappy- even giving my bride a snarky look at one point. My wife's dad was a car salesman and she HATES Huckster Sales Tactics....plus she is from Jersey so she didn't take any of her crap. It was almost like a Time Share presentation....but we bought ABSOLUTELY NOTHING EXTRA.

What seemed like an expense has turned into a product and service upgrade with 2 new phones and $600 in our pockets towards paying our phone bill. I teach high school and kids DEFINITELY classify each other based on the type of phone you have- they make fun of my phone all of the time. Kinda like Levi's and Nike's from those of us who went to school in the 80s. Anything less and you are shamed by the "Leaders." The bottom of the line is so much better than what I've had- so I don't care what it is.

Our son was pissed we didn't go i Phone- but he doesn't pay our bills (and we just finally got done paying his). For us- this feels incredible....I'm not sure how T Mobile will be making money off of us....but for a 2 year contract that seems more than fair. But that Acquisition cost seems awfully high....to our benefit.
Yeah lots of "free" phone deals have made a comeback if you switch providers. I avoid the big providers and use an MVNO, and just pay for the phone. Even so they still offer phone upgrade deals from time to time. When I upgraded from a Pixel 3 to Pixel 7 I think it only cost me around $200, even when the 7 was brand new and just released.

I've been with Google Fi for years, and I love their no nonsense billing, pay for exactly what I use with no rounding it up and they have kept the same pricing in place since the day I signed up. No games with discontinuing certain plans every year or so with the new plans either having less service or more expensive. I also love that their data pricing is the same in hundreds of countries, I can use my phone's data internationally and take advantage of wifi calling and my bill stays exactly the same as at home.

This is a huge aspect of many google services that I like, their commitment to keeping pricing unchanged is fantastic. In the long run it's cheaper for me to pay around $30/month for service and more for the phone since the big guys like Verizon, AT&T, etc. charge 2-3x that much per month and there's no guarantee their price will stay the same. As long as you stick with it long term the monthly service savings will more than outweigh what I'd have saved on the purchase of the phone.

It’s funny you mentioned Costco because I just had an interaction with them as well. I actually have Visible, which is a great budget (Verizon) service, but you bring or buy your own phone with Visible. I have a four-year-old phone and my wife has a five-year-old phone (my daughter has a newer iPhone 14). I pay $90 (2 standard lines and one premium.). I was just browsing the new iPhones at Costco yesterday while I was waiting for my wife. I was approached by an AT&T sales person there and he gave me a deal for three unlimited lines for $110 for 3 years, much newer iPhones (requiring us to trade-in our current phones), and $450 of costco gift cards. I declined it because the next generation of iPhone comes out in September and I was not sure I believed this salesperson as the deal appeared to be almost too good to be true. I also thought how in the world are they making money off of this. Last night I did some research on Reddit and read that you need to be very careful with the Costco deals and take a picture of the deal from the salesperson’s tablet screen that you were given as sometimes the deal turns out to be a lot more expensive than what they quoted. Per some Reddit users AT&T will not provide the support to validate that pricing as the deal was done through a third-party. I know you said your deal with T-Mobile, so hopefully it works out. Some posters claimed they had no problems with their Costco deal.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
It’s funny you mentioned Costco because I just had an interaction with them as well. I actually have Visible, which is a great budget (Verizon) service, but you bring or buy your own phone with Visible. I have a four-year-old phone and my wife has a five-year-old phone (my daughter has a newer iPhone 14). I pay $90 (2 standard lines and one premium.). I was just browsing the new iPhones at Costco yesterday while I was waiting for my wife. I was approached by an AT&T sales person there and he gave me a deal for three unlimited lines for $110 for 3 years, much newer iPhones (requiring us to trade-in our current phones), and $450 of costco gift cards. I declined it because the next generation of iPhone comes out in September and I was not sure I believed this salesperson as the deal appeared to be almost too good to be true. I also thought how in the world are they making money off of this. Last night I did some research on Reddit and read that you need to be very careful with the Costco deals and take a picture of the deal from the salesperson’s tablet screen that you were given as sometimes the deal turns out to be a lot more expensive than what they quoted. Per some Reddit users AT&T will not provide the support to validate that pricing as the deal was done through a third-party. I know you said your deal with T-Mobile, so hopefully it works out. Some posters claimed they had no problems with their Costco deal.
Sitting at the kiosk right now- will double check! Thanks 💯✔

Reactions: LMTLION
You better keep your head down.
I added a photo of you to a shot of a crime scene.
Actually, it is something that you could expect from some posters here from the way that we've recently seen the law perverted and used against those with different views. I know you are making light of it, but I wouldn't doubt if you see this and more. When pictures get out in social media, people are convicted in the court of public opinion in mere seconds.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Actually, it is something that you could expect from some posters here from the way that we've recently seen the law perverted and used against those with different views. I know you are making light of it, but I wouldn't doubt if you see this and more. When pictures get out in social media, people are convicted in the court of public opinion in mere seconds.
There must be a way for authorities to tell what's real and what has been photoshopped.

There must be a way for authorities to tell what's real and what has been photoshopped.
Of course there is if they are honest. Do we know that you'll get a fair trial? How much damage could be done and never undone if convicted first in the court of public opinion?

Sitting at the kiosk right now- will double check! Thanks 💯✔
Let us know how it works out and in the future if your first bill represents the actual deal. I really want a newer phone, especially one with a better camera with optical zoom to improve family and vacation photos. I am in the apple iphone cult, so I’m going to wait until after the newest iphone comes out in the fall before making any move. The costco deal, if it all works out, is an intriguing option..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT