ADVERTISEMENT

Mountain lions in PA?

been a long time since i've been to the texas. might have to make a special trip for one of those. is it still the go to place to sober up after two :)?
44901086_2007670169271900_8205989490972426240_n.jpg

Growlers, yum.

Haven't been there in years. I grew up in Brush Valley and trips to Lock Haven usually included a stop at the Texas Lunch. I'm south of Williamsport now.

Ya. The 1750s and 60s.

The last confirmed wild buffalo was killed in Pennsylvania around 1801. And there's a lot of doubt that they ever migrated east of the Appalachians in Pennsylvania. Most in Pennsylvania were located in the Southwestern part of the state.
I live in Union County and we have a Buffalo Mountain, Buffalo Creek, Buffalo Valley, Buffalo and East and West Buffalo Twps, a village named Buffalo Crossroads and The Bucknell Bison. A little farther south another village named New Buffalo.

I saw a lion cross RT 118 at Ricketts Glen maybe 20 years ago, it didn't say whether it was just passing through or if it was a PA resident. I didn't bother calling the game commission because I knew they would say I was mistaken- but I wasn't. I've seen one in VT, too.

Yeah, this is the tin foil hat wearing conspiracy theories. The pa game commission can’t change an empty roll of toilet paper without permission from the legislature... so that means that the state government is involved. I imagine to appease both central and western PA politicians, the game commission would have to reintroduce both mountain lions and panthers!

Have you heard Van Wagner's "Talking Coyote Blues"? He wrote the song about such coyote conspiracy believers. It's on his "The Fringe" album. It's on YouTube in case my link doesn't work.

I live in Union County and we have a Buffalo Mountain, Buffalo Creek, Buffalo Valley, Buffalo and East and West Buffalo Twps, a village named Buffalo Crossroads and The Bucknell Bison. A little farther south another village named New Buffalo.

That doesn't mean you had any wild buffalo/bison running around there in 1950 or 1960.

There are too many mountain lions in many areas of the west and the locals aren't happy about it. A lion kills about a deer a week and are a threat to livestock and people fear for their safety, justified or not. I've never seen one while hunting Colorado, but have seen tracks several times and we had an elk quarter stolen by one once. This over-population may be why they are spreading east and that's not a good thing.
We had one seen just up the road from me at the trailhead along with it's kill. I couldn't find the video but a few blocks from me a guy got a video of several just sauntering around on his deck. I sure don't want to encounter one on a hike.

Ya. The 1750s and 60s.

The last confirmed wild buffalo was killed in Pennsylvania around 1801. And there's a lot of doubt that they ever migrated east of the Appalachians in Pennsylvania. Most in Pennsylvania were located in the Southwestern part of the state.
He didn't say anything about them being wild.

Reactions: RedBankerEngr
Haven't been there in years. I grew up in Brush Valley and trips to Lock Haven usually included a stop at the Texas Lunch. I'm south of Williamsport now.
Brush Valley.......as in part of Penns Valley????

If they are known to transition through PA, who is to say a couple of them didn't decide to stick around. Plenty of remote habitat in PA, especially in the north central part of the state. You could have a small population living there and never be seen by people. I have no evidence that they are living in PA again, but I wouldn't be shocked if a few we're.

Those are inedible for at least two reasons

1. There is no accompanying onions or cheese, and

2. The buns/rolls already split apart at the bottom

:cool:
Onions are under the chili sauce. You don't put cheese on a chili dog. You can't even see the bottom of the bun.

Reactions: Snow Shoe Lion
I know this is tangential, but I got sucked into watching tons of cheetah videos on YouTube the other night. They can go 0-60 in 3 seconds. This was my favorite...

Reactions: psu00
I know this is tangential, but I got sucked into watching tons of cheetah videos on YouTube the other night. They can go 0-60 in 3 seconds. This was my favorite...

I saw a science type breakdown of cheetahs a few months ago. They said the the most amazing thing isn’t their top speed, but their ability to make cuts and follow prey without slowing down. It’s not just bigger or more efficient muscles, but their bone structure is superior to virtually all other animals. If a human was somehow able to propel itself that fast, it’s bones would snap from the stress and strain.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I saw a science type breakdown of cheetahs a few months ago. They said the the most amazing thing isn’t their top speed, but their ability to make cuts and follow prey without slowing down. It’s not just bigger or more efficient muscles, but their bone structure is superior to virtually all other animals. If a human was somehow able to propel itself that fast, it’s bones would snap from the stress and strain.

Except for Barkley

How many counters sightings are from pets released into the wild. Living and working in md I saw some unusual animals people kept as pets. Some were kept indoors others out back. Lol

Cheetahs were once thought to be native to North America. I believe the genetic evidence for that has become less certain recently, though.
We also had horses, camels, giant sloths, mastodons, mammoths and other fascinating megafauna until around 12K years ago.

Last edited:
Wake me when someone can produce an actual photo that was taken in PA(trailcam or otherwise), one gets hit on the road or shot during deer season.

Reactions: MICH.Nit Fan
I lived in Carroll County Md recently and their are trail camera photos from Fallston and Sykesville Md I saw the pictures and they were definitely big cats, Authentic I don't know.

I remember that "sighting" in Fallston (I live in the area). Local paper went back to the site and tried to prove or disprove the "sighting". General conclusion is that it was an optical illusion and the cat appeared bigger than it actually was.

http://www.daggerpress.com/2018/06/10/evidence-mountain-lion-fallston-maryland/

Not sure I agree but hey they also found an alligator in a pond not too far from me so who's to say somebody didn't release one?
https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/m...edgewood-gator-found-0624-20150619-story.html

Yeah - their spines are like slinkies - they can expand and contract to absorb the jump in speed. They’re an impressive example of the power of the natural world. While getting sucked in to my cheetah rabbit hole I saw that lions could run about 45 mph. That is scary AF.

I saw a lion cross RT 118 at Ricketts Glen maybe 20 years ago, it didn't say whether it was just passing through or if it was a PA resident. I didn't bother calling the game commission because I knew they would say I was mistaken- but I wasn't. I've seen one in VT, too.
I remember an arborist in NEPA saying he’s seen at least one recently. My brother said he showed him a pic but I didn’t see it myself. If he says it’s true, it is. Said all this talk of them being gone is BS.

Here’s hoping they’re here another 50 years with the same doubt!

Speaking of mountain lions

Colorado runner kills cougar in self-defence after attack
_105492823_gettyimages-1061398502.jpg

A man running on a popular park trail in the mountains of northern Colorado killed a mountain lion after it pounced on him from behind.
Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW) officials say the man sustained serious injuries after he was bitten on his face and wrist by the young male lion.
The man, who has not been named, turned after hearing a noise behind him, just as the lion lunged, officials say.
The cat died from suffocation, state wildlife officials have determined.
Monday afternoon's attack occurred on the West Ridge Trail at Horsetooth Mountain Open Space near the city of Fort Collins - about 66 miles (106km) from Denver.
The victim "described hearing something behind him on the trail and was attacked by a mountain lion as he turned around to investigate," according to an official statement.
"The lion lunged at the runner, biting his face and wrist. He was able to fight and break free from the lion, killing the lion in self-defence."
After killing the predator, the man was able to leave the park on his own and call for help.
In a statement, officials the described the wounds to his face, wrist, arms, legs and back as "serious, but non-life threatening".

Reactions: MICH.Nit Fan
Speaking of mountain lions

Colorado runner kills cougar in self-defence after attack
_105492823_gettyimages-1061398502.jpg

A man running on a popular park trail in the mountains of northern Colorado killed a mountain lion after it pounced on him from behind.
Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW) officials say the man sustained serious injuries after he was bitten on his face and wrist by the young male lion.
The man, who has not been named, turned after hearing a noise behind him, just as the lion lunged, officials say.
The cat died from suffocation, state wildlife officials have determined.
Monday afternoon's attack occurred on the West Ridge Trail at Horsetooth Mountain Open Space near the city of Fort Collins - about 66 miles (106km) from Denver.
The victim "described hearing something behind him on the trail and was attacked by a mountain lion as he turned around to investigate," according to an official statement.
"The lion lunged at the runner, biting his face and wrist. He was able to fight and break free from the lion, killing the lion in self-defence."
After killing the predator, the man was able to leave the park on his own and call for help.
In a statement, officials the described the wounds to his face, wrist, arms, legs and back as "serious, but non-life threatening".

Shame to lose an animal like that, but wow, impressive.

Back in the late 70s in clearfield county my dad was at hunting camp. Two friends came into camp and were definitely rattled a bit saying they just saw a mountain lion on the road in. Took my dad up there (who in no way was a biologist but spent a lot of time in the woods). They were definitely large cat like tracks in the fresh snow which weren’t a bobcat. Unfortunately for my dad, the local paper got wind of it and printed the story as if he had seen it. Needless to say he got a lot of ribbing for his “sighting”.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Pretty sure I saw a mountain lion a few years ago in Noxen Pa...

Took a photo of this female cougar just outside of Potato City, Pa.

Boy was she angry when she woke up due to the snapping of the camera and the flashbulbs going off!

If I wouldn't have thrown my wife's Prada purse at her to slow her down, she might have had me.

I think I would have just given up and let her have her way with me.

A few years ago, several of us saw a mountain lion as we were traveling in the Quehanna Wild Area just south of Medix. It was a large cat with a long tail - nothing else it could be. No idea if it was living there or just passing through, of course.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT