ADVERTISEMENT

Must win MBB game vs Indy tonight

I turned the game on with about 12 minutes left in the first half with the Lions up 10-8. Both teams were playing really poorly. After 5 minutes or so, and many missed shots/ turnovers/ unforced errors, Indiana was up 12-10. Awful on both sides. It sure looked like 2 teams bound for the NIT (I know they have some injuries).

Then everything we missed against Purdue started dropping. Really exciting basketball.

At one point Jalen made a pass to Kebba that should have been a dunk but he went Roberto Duran (Hands of Stone) and fumbled it out of bounds. In that moment it struck me that Kebba is like a young Mike Gesicki of hoops: highly rated recruit, obviously talented, bit of a project, whose best will be worth it when he develops. He was clearly more upset with himself than any fan could be. That is a good sign.

If we could have pulled a W out of the Michigan or Michigan State games we'd be in better shape- but as it stands we will have important games until March. Good Stuff for long suffering PSU basketball fans.

In Shrew We Trust : )

I turned the game on with about 12 minutes left in the first half with the Lions up 10-8. Both teams were playing really poorly. After 5 minutes or so, and many missed shots/ turnovers/ unforced errors, Indiana was up 12-10. Awful on both sides. It sure looked like 2 teams bound for the NIT (I know they have some injuries).

Then everything we missed against Purdue started dropping. Really exciting basketball.

At one point Jalen made a pass to Kebba that should have been a dunk but he went Roberto Duran (Hands of Stone) and fumbled it out of bounds. In that moment it struck me that Kebba is like a young Mike Gesicki of hoops: highly rated recruit, obviously talented, bit of a project, whose best will be worth it when he develops. He was clearly more upset with himself than any fan could be. That is a good sign.

If we could have pulled a W out of the Michigan or Michigan State games we'd be in better shape- but as it stands we will have important games until March. Good Stuff for long suffering PSU basketball fans.

Needed this game to have any realistic shot at a .500 conference season.

Shot the lights out. Nice job.
It's nice when the shots fall but you can't count on that all the time.

Indy had 13 offensive rebounds but PSU overcame that with exceptional shooting. They were also helped by Indy's 8 missed FTs.

If PSU is going to make the dance they'll have to do a better job in the paint. Pickett has had trouble getting low the last 2 games. Have opponents figured out how to defend him?

Reactions: indynittany

Indy had 13 offensive rebounds but PSU overcame that with exceptional shooting. They were also helped by Indy's 8 missed FTs.

If PSU is going to make the dance they'll have to do a better job in the paint. Pickett has had trouble getting low the last 2 games. Have opponents figured out how to defend him?
Opponents have had more size to defend him. Plus, Indiana was helping way too much and slow to rotate to our shooters.

Needed this game to have any realistic shot at a .500 conference season.
It’s a long season…we could very realistically go better than 10-10 (or several games worse for that matter).

Pomeroy has us at 10-10, and Torvik still more optimistic at 11-9.

It’s a long season…we could very realistically go better than 10-10 (or several games worse for that matter).

Pomeroy has us at 10-10, and Torvik still more optimistic at 11-9.
We gotta beat both scUM and Rutgers at home. Two big games among others that we need to get to 10 or 11 conf wins.

We gotta beat both scUM and Rutgers at home. Two big games among others that we need to get to 10 or 11 conf wins.
We’ve likely got about 7 more games that we’ll be more heavily favored in than the Rutgers game.

We’ve likely got about 7 more games that we’ll be more heavily favored in than the Rutgers game.
I don't think I see 7 games left where we are a favorite. Maybe 3 as clear cut favorites and a couple others as toss ups. Every remaining game will be tough. Indiana could have been the easiest win we get all year just because they are in a free fall now with their injuries.

Don't know if it was said but I'm glad we don't play Indy over there. I'm guessing that hasn't happened a lot.

It’s quite obvious this team has no post presence and it’s potential is very limited. Our expectations as fans should be tempered as a result. What I want to see is improvement from the young guys throughout the season, consistent effort and energy and maybe an upset win or two.

Shrewsberry’s recruiting, coaching and drive clearly has this team headed in the right direction and whether they make the dance or not won’t change that fact. Just enjoying the ride!

Reactions: LMTLION and bison13
It’s quite obvious this team has no post presence and it’s potential is very limited. Our expectations as fans should be tempered as a result. What I want to see is improvement from the young guys throughout the season, consistent effort and energy and maybe an upset win or two.

Shrewsberry’s recruiting, coaching and drive clearly has this team headed in the right direction and whether they make the dance or not won’t change that fact. Just enjoying the ride!
Agreed on the improvement from the young players...Mahaffey certainly adds energy and has some bounce...Nije is a project but seems to work hard. As to the expectations, here is where I respectfully have a different POV. Our five best players are all seniors who are gone after this season....so IMO, next year and possibly the next 2 could be a huge rebuild that requires quick development and learning. Softly, we could be pretty bad unless Shrews adds a piece or 2 from the portal. Him bringing in Wynter and Funk was massive as it has made them (what appears at least for now) a tournament contender with a decent chance of making it. The portal for the most part has more direct impact in hoops rather than CFB obviously b/c of how few guys play. I always took this season as tourney or bust, simply for the fact that our top 5 guys (by my count) are all gone..including one of the best to ever suit up here in Pickett. If we can't make it this year, it may not happen for a couple years, which IMO, would be massively disappointing. As you know, I don't share the football perspective as many on the board do that softens the blow of being 'almost but not quite'. I also understand perspective -- of course I don't expect psu hoops to contend for a natl title anytime soon, or possibly in my lifetime. But, the idea that a program, university and resource rich entity such as PSU can't be middle of the pack in the B1G almost annually (which gets you in the tourney most years) is embarrassing IMO. That is how I'll measure Shrew...depending on how long he is here obviously, can we make the big dance (plural). Then we can enjoy whatever happens afterwards.

I have seen Kebba misplay a few passes, but I don't think he ever had to handle passes at that speed in high school. He will learn and I am optimistic on his future. Too bad he has to play at this stage.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8

Agree on the no post presence. It not only means no points from the post, but it also affects how you run your passing offense.

Agree on the no post presence. It not only means no points from the post, but it also affects how you run your passing offense.
But part of what definitely happened w Purdue and looked like was happening to some extent last night was that nobody was guarding Kebba and their big (Edey on Sunday) was free to help on Jalen since #3 is no scoring threat.

If he is the open option we need to keep passing it to him, but he has hadore than a few guffaws at important juncture.

He will grow...

Reactions: Parkland Fan
Agreed on the improvement from the young players...Mahaffey certainly adds energy and has some bounce...Nije is a project but seems to work hard. As to the expectations, here is where I respectfully have a different POV. Our five best players are all seniors who are gone after this season....so IMO, next year and possibly the next 2 could be a huge rebuild that requires quick development and learning. Softly, we could be pretty bad unless Shrews adds a piece or 2 from the portal. Him bringing in Wynter and Funk was massive as it has made them (what appears at least for now) a tournament contender with a decent chance of making it. The portal for the most part has more direct impact in hoops rather than CFB obviously b/c of how few guys play. I always took this season as tourney or bust, simply for the fact that our top 5 guys (by my count) are all gone..including one of the best to ever suit up here in Pickett. If we can't make it this year, it may not happen for a couple years, which IMO, would be massively disappointing. As you know, I don't share the football perspective as many on the board do that softens the blow of being 'almost but not quite'. I also understand perspective -- of course I don't expect psu hoops to contend for a natl title anytime soon, or possibly in my lifetime. But, the idea that a program, university and resource rich entity such as PSU can't be middle of the pack in the B1G almost annually (which gets you in the tourney most years) is embarrassing IMO. That is how I'll measure Shrew...depending on how long he is here obviously, can we make the big dance (plural). Then we can enjoy whatever happens afterwards.
Bottom line is we need to start dancing on a regular basis, say 2 out of every 3 years. Needs to really happen this year, I hope so. If we don't make it this year then again miss it next year, Shrews would have to be coaching for his job in year 4.

Reactions: scrivener
Bottom line is we need to start dancing on a regular basis, say 2 out of every 3 years. Needs to really happen this year, I hope so. If we don't make it this year then again miss it next year, Shrews would have to be coaching for his job in year 4.
Next year we lose Pickett, Lundy, Funk, Wynter, and Dread. PSU isn't going to the dance next year w/o at least 2 immediate impact players from the portal.

Next year we lose Pickett, Lundy, Funk, Wynter, and Dread. PSU isn't going to the dance next year w/o at least 2 immediate impact players from the portal.
Lundy has another year if he wants to use it, though I won’t be surprised if he moves along.

Reactions: NedFromYork
No question...it's vastly different than PSU making the CFP. Making the big dance isn't exactly a herculean accomplish....I mean can we finish like top 7 in the B1G most/every yr? That really shouldn't be too much to ask. Nobody is asking/expecting a B1G title, but just make the dance and you are in essence, playing for a natl title. Having these long, decade old droughts is truly unacceptable for a program of our size.

No question...it's vastly different than PSU making the CFP. Making the big dance isn't exactly a herculean accomplish....I mean can we finish like top 7 in the B1G most/every yr? That really shouldn't be too much to ask.
We’re in a conference full of schools that take basketball very seriously and have been hugely successful, we’ve always been near the bottom of the conference in spending, and our fan support is terrible. 7 of the other 13 schools have actually played in the National Title game in the past 20 years. For a school like us, it’s like Maryland fans asking why they can’t finish in the top 3 in the Big Ten East in football every year. It is a lot to ask…though hopefully we’re on the right track forward.

We’re in a conference full of schools that take basketball very seriously and have been hugely successful, we’ve always been near the bottom of the conference in spending, and our fan support is terrible. 7 of the other 13 schools have actually played in the National Title game in the past 20 years. For a school like us, it’s like Maryland fans asking why they can’t finish in the top 3 in the Big Ten East in football every year. It is a lot to ask…though hopefully we’re on the right track forward.
very true...our conference has many schools that also care about hoops along with football. But, programs like Rutger, NW, NEB, should not be having better seasons than PSU as a majority....sure every once in awhile. Again, a down year in the B1G is getting like 7 teams in the dance, an up year I think recently had maybe 9 I want to say? As the previous poster replied, and I echo, we need to start dancing on a regular, or i'll say mostly regular basis. There are MANY programs in major conferences that sit in that middle of the conference plateau and make it most years...that's all I and I'm sure many others would ask for. I'd venture to guess Pat Kraft cares and will care about making the tournament a heck of a lot more than Sandy did.

very true...our conference has many schools that also care about hoops along with football. But, programs like Rutger, NW, NEB, should not be having better seasons than PSU as a majority....sure every once in awhile. Again, a down year in the B1G is getting like 7 teams in the dance, an up year I think recently had maybe 9 I want to say? As the previous poster replied, and I echo, we need to start dancing on a regular, or i'll say mostly regular basis. There are MANY programs in major conferences that sit in that middle of the conference plateau and make it most years...that's all I and I'm sure many others would ask for. I'd venture to guess Pat Kraft cares and will care about making the tournament a heck of a lot more than Sandy did.
Rutgers and Nebraska fans support their program so much better than PSU fans...I doubt walking into a half-empty BJC is impressing any recruits, while Rutgers plays in a great environment and Nebraska packs their building night in and night out regardless of how bad they are. (not to mention that Nebraska and Northwestern certainly don't "have better seasons than PSU as a majority)

You really think that Sandy didn't care about making the tournament? Of course she did, but unfortunately, it's a zero sum game and not that simple. I'm sure that Rutgers AD would love to win the Big Ten in football, yet some fans on their message board likely think that their AD simply wanting it more will make it happen.

Rutgers and Nebraska fans support their program so much better than PSU fans...I doubt walking into a half-empty BJC is impressing any recruits, while Rutgers plays in a great environment and Nebraska packs their building night in and night out regardless of how bad they are. (not to mention that Nebraska and Northwestern certainly don't "have better seasons than PSU as a majority)

You really think that Sandy didn't care about making the tournament? Of course she did, but unfortunately, it's a zero sum game and not that simple. I'm sure that Rutgers AD would love to win the Big Ten in football, yet some fans on their message board likely think that their AD simply wanting it more will make it happen.
Football fans travel a few hundred miles to attend 7 Saturday football games. It's the weekend and the weather is usually good. That simply won't happen for weeknight basketball games in bad weather.

It would be nice if we had more student and community support. I think winning would do that. I remember the BJC being packed in the Talor Battle days when they were making a tournament run. A realistic goal would be a consistent 10,000 fans, not to fill the arena.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Football fans travel a few hundred miles to attend 7 Saturday football games. It's the weekend and the weather is usually good. That simply won't happen for weeknight basketball games in bad weather.

It would be nice if we had more student and community support. I think winning would do that. I remember the BJC being packed in the Talor Battle days when they were making a tournament run. A realistic goal would be a consistent 10,000 fans, not to fill the arena.
Agree completely on the dynamics...however, it's another hurdle to overcome that 12 other teams in the Big Ten don't deal with (everyone other than Northwestern will have a really good crowd and home environment regardless of how good/bad they are, much like we see with Beaver Stadium).

In Talor's last year as we were on our way to the NCAA, we did pack it for his last home game. The game before it (7pm at home on ESPN against Minnesota), there were 8446 in attendance at the BJC.

The 2019-2020 season, we played our first game as a ranked team in years in front of 6404 at the BJC...we worked our way up to 9th in the country, and the reward was a crowd of 9506 to see them play. That same season, we traveled to Nebraska to take on a 7-15 Cornhusker squad, and they had 15,901 there to see us.

Again, I dream of the day where we're a consistent NCAA team. But it's not reality to think that it "shouldn't be too much to ask" for us to be in the top half of the conference every year when to get at least a decent crowd, we need the game to be on a weekend. In good weather. At a good time. And we have a winning team on the floor, when the teams we're competing against don't have those same constraints. I think it's a lot to ask at this point, and if Micah can get us there, he would have overcome some incredible hurdles.

Some of the aforementioned expectations stated by posters here are perfectly reasonable. That said, if one cannot plainly see that Coach Shrewsberry has the program headed in the right direction in the areas of recruiting, energy, working the transfer portal and overall enthusiasm, then I think one is missing the big picture. I know this is a radical thing to say, but we do need to be patient with our expectations in the short term. I believe in the long term we will meet them under Coach Shrewsberry.

Some of the aforementioned expectations stated by posters here are perfectly reasonable. That said, if one cannot plainly see that Coach Shrewsberry has the program headed in the right direction in the areas of recruiting, energy, working the transfer portal and overall enthusiasm, then I think one is missing the big picture. I know this is a radical thing to say, but we do need to be patient with our expectations in the short term. I believe in the long term we will meet them under Coach Shrewsberry.
Agreed....love what Shrews is bringing to the table for all the things you mentioned. I feel optimistic about the direction.

Reactions: NittanyChris
Agree completely on the dynamics...however, it's another hurdle to overcome that 12 other teams in the Big Ten don't deal with (everyone other than Northwestern will have a really good crowd and home environment regardless of how good/bad they are, much like we see with Beaver Stadium).

In Talor's last year as we were on our way to the NCAA, we did pack it for his last home game. The game before it (7pm at home on ESPN against Minnesota), there were 8446 in attendance at the BJC.

The 2019-2020 season, we played our first game as a ranked team in years in front of 6404 at the BJC...we worked our way up to 9th in the country, and the reward was a crowd of 9506 to see them play. That same season, we traveled to Nebraska to take on a 7-15 Cornhusker squad, and they had 15,901 there to see us.

Again, I dream of the day where we're a consistent NCAA team. But it's not reality to think that it "shouldn't be too much to ask" for us to be in the top half of the conference every year when to get at least a decent crowd, we need the game to be on a weekend. In good weather. At a good time. And we have a winning team on the floor, when the teams we're competing against don't have those same constraints. I think it's a lot to ask at this point, and if Micah can get us there, he would have overcome some incredible hurdles.
I do think fan support is obviously important, but let's also not make it out like B1G games don't draw at all....now that the upper bowl is virtually closed for many games, the crowd, by osmosis, is better b/c of that. But, I'm not obtuse to the fact that in general, our crowd isn't great. They also aren't the best at knowing when to be loud, which isn't surprising.

Consistently finishing around the middle, I don't think is demanding too much as some make it out to be, from an expectations standpoint. If it is, then why have a program at all. I never said upper half...just simply be around 7 or 8, and pretty much you will be dancing. If a program like PSU can't be consistent enough to be right in the middle, then we are doomed. Also, of course we all dream of a day when we are a consistent tournament team...and that is difficult for many programs. How about once every two/three years...to me that seems reasonable. As for fan support, It's the whole chicken and egg theory I guess, right? Does winning games produce more crowd support, or vice versa? Probably both.

I agree with your perspective...but your Rutgers football example is not comparable to basketball. Football, obviously for the lesser programs, is far more challenging to play in the CFP (or the postseason if you will), than making the ncaa tournament. PSU hoops doesn't have to come anywhere near winning the conference to make the postseason and play for a title.

I like Shrewsberry but I think the quality of the last two recruiting classes are still in question.

Mahaffey is the only one of the 5 freshmen who seems ready to play at this level. Booth was highly rated but it will probably take him a year or two to beef up.

My point is that next year will be a rebuilding effort unless we get a couple of star portal transfers. It might take 3-4 good recruiting classes and some time to develop.

I like Shrewsberry but I think the quality of the last two recruiting classes are still in question.

Mahaffey is the only one of the 5 freshmen who seems ready to play at this level. Booth was highly rated but it will probably take him a year or two to beef up.

My point is that next year will be a rebuilding effort unless we get a couple of star portal transfers. It might take 3-4 good recruiting classes and some time to develop.
The problem with BB recruiting is that it is like the NBA draft, only the top 25 kids can really come in right away and be major factors. Even that number has been down significantly the last few years. After the true studs the ratings of the recruits is affected too much by which AAU team and stuff they are on so there are lots of misses. Kids that are top 100 recruits are not able to physically dominate when they step on campus like they used to with kids staying extra years. Mahaffey was the 2nd lowest of the 5 recruits and he is the one the most ready because he wasn't at a basketball factory and had to do more with less polished teammates.

Look at Pickett, he was not a high level recruit but he is certainly a fantastic player now. Clary, Brown, Mahaffey and Njie will all be much better by this time next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Shelter
And that is his job now with the portal it is possible. If we keep missing the dance he has provided no upgrade.

Not so sure that our fan support is so closely correlated to the team's performance as you suggest. Yes, it impacts recruiting but with a good coach you can overcome that. Again, not recruiting at the KY, Duke, all top 100 players level (although maybe getting a top 100 guy each class) but getting guys who fit with Shrews. Strategically using the portal. Think Wisky and Iowa football. Even their hoops, do they have talent vastly superior to us? I think we are close to their talent level. And look at their track record making the dance. As the team gets better and we do make a dance appearance then the fan support will be better. Not sell outs but it will significantly improve.

We need to have expectations of consistently making the dance. Is it easy to do that? No. Is it very difficult like making the 4 team CFP? No. Gone is 1980 where our talent level in hoops was terrible and nobody knew we had a program. There is a lot of hoops talent in proximity to State College. You also don't need 30 guys, you need 3 or 4 to transform a program.

I have a lot of confidence in Shrews and probably think this was the best move Barbour made in her tenure. He can deliver for us but it can't be some kind of 5 year plan before we see fruit in the form of a dance invitation.

Not so sure that our fan support is so closely correlated to the team's performance as you suggest. Yes, it impacts recruiting but with a good coach you can overcome that. Again, not recruiting at the KY, Duke, all top 100 players level (although maybe getting a top 100 guy each class) but getting guys who fit with Shrews. Strategically using the portal. Think Wisky and Iowa football. Even their hoops, do they have talent vastly superior to us? I think we are close to their talent level. And look at their track record making the dance. As the team gets better and we do make a dance appearance then the fan support will be better. Not sell outs but it will significantly improve.

We need to have expectations of consistently making the dance. Is it easy to do that? No. Is it very difficult like making the 4 team CFP? No. Gone is 1980 where our talent level in hoops was terrible and nobody knew we had a program. There is a lot of hoops talent in proximity to State College. You also don't need 30 guys, you need 3 or 4 to transform a program.

I have a lot of confidence in Shrews and probably think this was the best move Barbour made in her tenure. He can deliver for us but it can't be some kind of 5 year plan before we see fruit in the form of a dance invitation.
Very well said....good stuff.

And that is his job now with the portal it is possible. If we keep missing the dance he has provided no upgrade.
I like Shrewsberry but are his recent recruits better than when Chambers got players like Carr, Stevens, and Lundy? I'd say not so far. Of course he gets lots of credit for getting Pickett.

Not so sure that our fan support is so closely correlated to the team's performance as you suggest.
I'm not suggesting that as much as others have stated that if we win more, the fans will come with it. I believe that even if we're consistently a top 25 team, we'll still play in front of a relatively empty BJC a lot of nights. And that makes it a whole lot tougher to recruit top talent, when everyone else that they're looking at is most likely crazy about basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT