ADVERTISEMENT

My thoughts on Graham Spanier

Nashville Lion

Sep 25, 2005
First off, I always liked Graham Spanier as President. I thought he was good for Penn State. I still believe that. I just don't see any reason why he would ever do anything to cover up crimes or create an environment that caused danger for children as Freeh alleged. Freeh was obviously a hired gun as we can see clearly. With Spanier's background, there is no way he would cover up for an evil man. It makes no sense and him of all people....what was he to gain??? Nothing.
I totally believe that Graham is innocent of any wrong doing and I hope he wins his lawsuit. He was clearly made a scapegoat in all this by the Board of Trustees. I know we are beating a dead horse here but just wanted to express my support for Dr. Spanier.

All I know is this just became my favorite lawsuit.

It specifically targets the decision makers on the bot. Its setting them up to answer some very, very tough questions. Even if other bot members stand by them, it could look exceptionally bad to the legislature to do so. This lawsuit is a direct attack on the fiduciary duties of certain bot members. Things are really building now.

"Now Ned, them whores are going to tell different lies than you. And when their lies ain't the same as your lies... Well, I ain't gonna hurt no woman. But I'm gonna hurt you. And not gentle like before... but bad."

I don't understand why Graham or Joe would ever do anything that people say that they could have done. It is totally out of character for either of them.

Whatever I may have ever thought about Spanier, "stupid" would never be among my descriptors. I have a hard time believing a guy like him is going to risk catastrophic career implosion, not to mention prison, for a guy that he hardly knew, and even then only by reputation. It never passed the smell test, and it doesn't now.

And I will join in you in your expression of support, but unlike you, I was

never a Spanier fan. I don't want to get into a litany of reasons, but let's just say I thought he moved Penn State in the wrong direction. However, like you, I believe he is innocent and that he, like Joe, was a scapegoat. I will add that, considering the men who have followed him and despite my issues with his leadership, I would take him back in a heartbeat.

Re: And I will join in you in your expression of support, but unlike you, I was

I hold a similar view of him.

I have a slightly differnt take. To be honest- I never liked Spanier. Thought he was arrogant with some bad decisions and over built on a beautiful campus. I still think CSS all have serious questions to answer and I want to hear their side of the story and the reasoning behind some of those decisions. I don't give them a free pass but as I've said before- I will absolutely give them the opportunity to defend themselves.

I just find it funny when people stick their nose in the air and talk about how they would never cover for a predator and how completely despicable it is. Yet at the same time they turn around and believe that the "other guy" (otherwise honorable people- not criminals) completely did this with very little proof.

Until I see otherwise, Spanier, Paterno, Curley, and Schultz

were all completely innocent of any wrongdoing and have all been destroyed by Corbett's, Freeh's, Peetz's, Frazier's, and Masser's wild self interest and egotism. There was no question that on a national level Spanier was one of the most well respected university presidents in the country. If anyone is guilty, it is that cabal of disgusting people on the BOT that recklessly tried to destroy a number of very good people in order to wash their hands of this.

fairgambit. 100% agree

Let me say this....I don't 100% agree with every decision he made as president.....rarely do we ever totally agree with everything anyone does. I was saying from a personal perspective. I had occasion to meet him a few times. I remember the very first time I met him was in State college while getting a haircut. He was at the same $11 haircut place I was going. That kind of impressed me....here is this guy making hundreds of thousands of dollars getting his haircut with students...and he was a down to earth guy.
I do believe that the decisions he made were usually ones with the best interests of psu. I have met a few other university presidents including gordon gee when he was at vanderbilt.

When i look at his education and training and his actual life experience with child abuse, it just seems absurd that he would do with Freeh accused him of.

90% agree

No way does it make sense that McQueary:
Didn't tell his dad about anything sexualDidn't tell Dranov about anything sexualTestified that he used soft language with JoeBut we're to believe that he was explicit with Curley & Shultz in spite of their testimony to the contrary?
My 90% number is because I think it's fair to criticize these folks for not doing a better job documenting the results of their internal investigation and taking a better safe than sorry approach with their reporting. But in NO WAY does that mean they intentionally covered things up.

Originally posted by Nashville Lion:
First off, I always liked Graham Spanier as President. I thought he was good for Penn State. I still believe that. I just don't see any reason why he would ever do anything to cover up crimes or create an environment that caused danger for children as Freeh alleged. Freeh was obviously a hired gun as we can see clearly. With Spanier's background, there is no way he would cover up for an evil man. It makes no sense and him of all people....what was he to gain??? Nothing.
I totally believe that Graham is innocent of any wrong doing and I hope he wins his lawsuit. He was clearly made a scapegoat in all this by the Board of Trustees. I know we are beating a dead horse here but just wanted to express my support for Dr. Spanier.
Dr Spanier would NEVER put children in harm. Jerry fooled a lot of very smart people including Graham. No one had a clue what that guy was up until that indictment was announced and even then it was really hard to believe. It just didn't add up.

Let me say this....I don't 100% agree with every decision he made as president.....rarely do we ever totally agree with everything anyone does. I was saying from a personal perspective. I had occasion to meet him a few times. I remember the very first time I met him was in State college while getting a haircut. He was at the same $11 haircut place I was going. That kind of impressed me....here is this guy making hundreds of thousands of dollars getting his haircut with students...and he was a down to earth guy.
I do believe that the decisions he made were usually ones with the best interests of psu. I have met a few other university presidents including gordon gee when he was at vanderbilt.

When i look at his education and training and his actual life experience with child abuse, it just seems absurd that he would do with Freeh accused him of.
I value your opinion Nashville, and I certainly would not take issue with your characterization of Spanier as a decent man. I think our main difference is your line which I have highlighted. I would change it to say: I do believe that the decisions he made were usually ones "that he thought were in the best interests of psu." I personally think many were not in Penn State's best interests, but reasonable men may differ and we do.
This post was edited on 3/18 7:16 PM by fairgambit

I am convinced that MM emboldened his testimony

either on his own or was convinced to do so, putting everyone else in jeopardy. Having said that, this is on Schultz....no way Curley (an AD) or Paterno (coach) had any right to do anything but report it to Schultz and let him deal with it.

Now, it took Schultz quite a while to meet with MM back in 2001 and that it troubling to me. But I don't think anyone knows exactly their word usage over ten years ago so I'd be shocked if anyone gets convicted of anything.

I am certainly not here to debate Dr. Spanier's contributions as president. I am simply here to say that there is no evidence to suggest he would cover anything up. It just makes no sense and would do nothing to help him. I think when you compare Dr. Spanier to many on our BOT, he was more selfless than those guys.

I am certainly not here to debate Dr. Spanier's contributions as president. I am simply here to say that there is no evidence to suggest he would cover anything up. It just makes no sense and would do nothing to help him. I think when you compare Dr. Spanier to many on our BOT, he was more selfless than those guys.
Nor am I, and that's why I did not get into any specific issues I had with him. I think he is a good and decent man. I think he did what he thought was best for Penn State. I think he was railroaded. Like you I support him and will continue to do so until I see credible evidence that he acted illegally, or inappropriately.

I never had a problem with Spanier although I know others have. I think what first set the BoT against Spanier was when he expressed total support for Curley and Schultz when the indictments came down. He said he knew them both as men of integrity when popular thinking was both should have been summarily thrown into a jail cell. Spanier's better move would have been to issue a "wait and see" type of statement. He didn't realize the amount of vitriol created by expressing such vocal support for two people who were already publicly convicted by the AG's grandstanding press conference.

The usual stuff we've all talked about. I want to hear from them what MM told them (to the best of their memory). I want to know what they told the Psu lawyer (?Courtney?) and specifically what he told them to do. I want to hear their reasoning for passing action off to Raykovietz and what they told him (all of these things with cross examination to hopefully smoke out details a little better). I want to hear who, if any, of the BoT were aware of events. Plus I'd like to hear some final clarification if DPW/ CYS were notified or not (sounds like no but there's some early confusion). I'd also like to hear Baldwin's actions and statements to them leading up to the charges and what Spanier heard early on from BOT big wigs regarding strategy before he was fired/ left.

I'm sure there's more but that's just off the top of my head. I've heard Louie's version. I want to hear the other side too before I run the bus (figuratively speaking) over anyone. ;)

Re: 90% agree

I agree with you. I don't feel they covered it up...but they did take the incident too lightly. Maybe they
couldn't see the forest for the trees. Each had known Sandusky for many, many years. He was a goofy
guy who liked helping kids. At least that's what they could see. Heck if the state allowed him to have
28 foster children and 6 adopted children....and their the experts in detecting danger for children...what
could anyone expect from college administrators who don't deal with children? Does anyone find it strange
that only 1 of the 34 children Sandusky adopted/ fosters reported that he was abusing them?

Re: Until I see otherwise, Spanier, Paterno, Curley, and Schultz

Originally posted by NewYC:
were all completely innocent of any wrongdoing and have all been destroyed by Corbett's, Freeh's, Peetz's, Frazier's, and Masser's wild self interest and egotism. There was no question that on a national level Spanier was one of the most well respected university presidents in the country. If anyone is guilty, it is that cabal of disgusting people on the BOT that recklessly tried to destroy a number of very good people in order to wash their hands of this.
Well, Corbett's career has now been destroyed, and all four of these individuals have now been proven (by Masser's deposition in the Corman lawsuit) to have lied to an organization to which they owe a fiduciary responsibility. Merck and BNY Mellon told me that Frazier's and Peetz's you know what doesn't stink, but I think plenty can be said as to whether somebody who lies to an organization of which he is a Trustee might also lie to stockholders, customers, employees, and suppliers. A liar cannot command the trust or respect of anybody, which is why it is cause for dismissal from the U.S. Military Academy.

And make no mistake: Corbett, Masser, Frazier, Peetz, and also Eckel and all the other lowlifes either lied, or tolerated those who did, in the Board's statement of March 2012 that said Paterno was fired for "failure of leadership."

Agree...Graham did a lot for PSU during his tenure...***

nfm

Originally posted by fairgambit:
never a Spanier fan. I don't want to get into a litany of reasons, but let's just say I thought he moved Penn State in the wrong direction. However, like you, I believe he is innocent and that he, like Joe, was a scapegoat. I will add that, considering the men who have followed him and despite my issues with his leadership, I would take him back in a heartbeat.
Ditto!

I met Spanier twice. Once around 1995 when he was first hired. He came to our fraternity house and ate a spaghetti dinner with us sitting on picnic tables. The second time was at the Tavern this year for Homecoming. In both interactions, my impression was that he is a bright, deeply caring person. No chance he covered up...

The best proof of his innocence are Freeh's accusations. Freeh does not accuse the guilty, he accuses scapegoats....it's his track-record, and 'white collar advocacy' business at Pepper Hamilton.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2012-08-29/pepper-hamilton-latham-debevoise-weil-business-of-law

Spanier is a very very very smart man. The BoT boys/girls are not.

My money is on Spanier for a massive payout. Massive.

Originally posted by fairgambit:
Bingo, we have a winner.

+1000

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT