ADVERTISEMENT

National Prep Open

Sportfan2017

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2017
*SVN with a first period pin leading 10-1. There is a good bit of talent there. Gabe Arnold, Nick Feldman and others.
* SVN with another first period ( 1 sec. remaining ) pin leading 5-0
* SVN leads 9-2 ...gets pin with 4 sec. left in Pd. 1
* Gabe Arnold wins first match via pin in the first Period leading 12-4.
* Gabe Arnold wins second match via pin in the third period leading 14-3
* Nick Feldman wins via Pin in the first period leading 12-2
* SVN on to the Semis with a 32 second Pin
* Gabe Arnold in the Semis with a third period pin leading 13-4
* Nick Feldman in the Semis with a 21-6 TF in the second period
* Nick Feldman in the finals with a first period pin leading 9-1
* Gabe Arnold in the finals with a 5-1 decision
* SVN in the finals with a pin in the third period leading 9-0
* SVN wins Gold with a 9-0 decision in the finals over K. Griffin. SVN led 2-0 after one. He got ridden for the first minute of the second period then got a reversal and 3 back points. A TD in the third finished the scoring. Griffin was ranked 2nd in this tournament but is unranked by FLO.
* Gabe Arnold wins the Championship with a 5-0 decision over Alex Whitworth. Little action in the first until Gabe converts an ankle pick with 10 sec. left. Gabe lets him up. 2-1. Second period ends 2-1. Whitworth has taken Zero shots. Arnold quickly escapes and pushes the action. Whitworth takes his first shot with 10 sec. left. Gabe quick Go behind to set the final score. FLO has Whitworth ranked #13 at 170 lbs.
* Nick Feldman wins the Championship at 220lbs. with an early third period pin over Gabe Fisher while leading 15-4. Feldman is QUICK and STRONG. Most impressive.

Last edited:
SVN wrestling 138 in a tournament that means literally nothing is effectively killing any hopes I had of him being our 149 next season.

SVN wrestling 138 in a tournament that means literally nothing is effectively killing any hopes I had of him being our 149 next season.
What about Bartlett. 65 kg is 143lbs. Beat several guys due to wrestle 149 next year

What about Bartlett. 65 kg is 143lbs. Beat several guys due to wrestle 149 next year
I posted in another thread that I think he appears to look substantially heavier than he did at B1Gs.

BB looked like a guy who could’ve made 133 last season.

I posted in another thread that I think he appears to look substantially heavier than he did at B1Gs.

BB looked like a guy who could’ve made 133 last season.
Also looked like he could give 2 shits how his season ended. I literally cant remember someone being in higher spirits after bowing out of a conference tourney. Beating dead horse here, but he came to SC to be a 133 or 141 and PROBABLY assumed Lee would bump up to make room. Hopefully they get this crap agreed on long before Nov rolls around, I could care less who goes where but we need qualifiers!

Van Ness and his opponent in the finals have both pinned their way there.

Also looked like he could give 2 shits how his season ended. I literally cant remember someone being in higher spirits after bowing out of a conference tourney. Beating dead horse here, but he came to SC to be a 133 or 141 and PROBABLY assumed Lee would bump up to make room. Hopefully they get this crap agreed on long before Nov rolls around, I could care less who goes where but we need qualifiers!
He assumed a spot would be given to him instead of earning it, in the best room in America? It doesn’t work that way. If he wants 133 or 141, he beats RBY or Lee.

Although he’s been injured a good bit of his senior season, and in HV, I was thinking he’s been in the HS rankings at 138 all along. I was assuming his original plan (before free year was handed out) was redshirt his first year (at 141/49) then go 149 the following year.

He assumed a spot would be given to him instead of earning it, in the best room in America? It doesn’t work that way. If he wants 133 or 141, he beats RBY or Lee.
Don’t think BB thinks anything was going to be handed to him. But the free year may have caused plans to be altered.

It appears that we have three studs (NL, BB, SVN) whose ideal weight may all be at 141 for the upcoming season. Question is, which of them (if any) makes sense to go to 149 this upcoming season? Then who between SVN and BB go to 41 and 49 the following season?

I don't think he assumed Lee was making room for him. All reports are he believed he could beat Lee at 141 ... is that audacious? Certainly it is but you don't get to where Bartlett has by assuming you would lose to anyone.

What's the plan for 149 next year? There's a chance we won't know until next January. (Lineup could be something like Barraclough and Matt Lee at 149/157 for early season duals, Keystone Classic if we go, Southern Scuffle) If it's a normal season, Cael can keep both SVN and Bartlett in RS and get them both close to 20 matches before he makes a decision.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Oh I didn't even notice but Beau's first opponent Hunter Lewis is no slouch. The kid wrestled 7 matches this year and won 6 by pin (including one over AA John Millner) Only guy to score on Beau before the finals and Beau ended up pinning him anyways.

You mean it means nothing to you. Guessing the SVN and his teammates disagree. He has a teammate who is in the finals at 145 so he is going 138 for the team instead of the weight YOU would like him to be at.,

National Prep Open Summary: Eight different states had place winners. Pennsylvania easily lead the way. It was held in Wilkes-Barre Pa.
Semi-Finalists:
1. PA. = 27
2. NY. = 8
2. TN. = 8
4. NJ. = 6
5. MD. = 3
6. VA. = 2
6. TX. = 2
Finalists:
1. PA. = 14
2. NY. = 5
2. TN. = 5
4. NJ. = 3
5. MD. = 1
Champions:
1. PA. = 8
2. NY. = 4
3. NJ. = 2

You mean it means nothing to you. Guessing the SVN and his teammates disagree. He has a teammate who is in the finals at 145 so he is going 138 for the team instead of the weight YOU would like him to be at.,
Fair enough.

My point was that SVN apparently cares enough to move to SC his senior year of high school, but he doesn't appear to be interested in making the moves that would land him a starting position next year. When he moved to SC, it looked like the kid was all in on going for it this upcoming year.

From my 30,000ft cruising altitude, barring injury to Nick Lee or BB, he'll do a least a year and a half (1/2 senior year + RS) before he'll be in a position to challenge for a starting spot.

Fair enough.

My point was that SVN apparently cares enough to move to SC his senior year of high school, but he doesn't appear to be interested in making the moves that would land him a starting position next year. When he moved to SC, it looked like the kid was all in on going for it this upcoming year.

From my 30,000ft cruising altitude, barring injury to Nick Lee or BB, he'll do a least a year and a half (1/2 senior year + RS) before he'll be in a position to challenge for a starting spot.
SVN strikes me as a kid that is selfless and does what is best for the team he is on. He moved to State College but he still wrestles for Blair and thus is going 138 as the team was counting on him to do that. For all we know, he could be making an insanely large cut. Seriously, who knows? When his time with Blair is up, I'm sure he'll talk with Cael about what's the right next move.

Fair enough.

I think you need to make an appointment with the Van Ness family and Cael so you can express your disappointment with the plan so far, or at least how you perceive the plan. Who knows they may ask for your wise input, or maybe just read you in so you can have a vote on the proper direction moving forward.

Most kids need a year in the room no matter how good they seem to be. We see HS kids beating college guys in FS and think they will win NCAAs. Not so, Folkstyle is completely different and less skilled wrestlers can manipulate the rules to keep it close in Folkstyle. The kids know where everyone is planning on going and will adjust to field the strongest team.

Most kids need a year in the room no matter how good they seem to be. We see HS kids beating college guys in FS and think they will win NCAAs. Not so, Folkstyle is completely different and less skilled wrestlers can manipulate the rules to keep it close in Folkstyle. The kids know where everyone is planning on going and will adjust to field the strongest team.
The kids know where everybody is going and will adjust appropriately, without consulting this board? What kind of well thought out plan is that?

So there is plan. 10-4

Amazing. Maybe we can pin this to the top. THERE IS A PLAN

It’s freaking May, how the hell can there be a PLAN already, gonna be a long summer......
I can't believe we weren't read in. How in the samhill will Flo know what to report about if we don't know the plan. Unless Pyles gave Cael the plan. All you Flo nay sayers are going to have to reup your Flo accounts so Pyles can tell us what's going on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT