ADVERTISEMENT

NBC Hiding Drew Brees and the Notre Dame Season Opener on Peacock ...They Want You To Pay

step.eng69

Nov 7, 2012
North East PA, Backmountain area, age 72
Food for thought Glov....you may have to start paying to watch ND 🤭
Isn't Florida State the opening game? WOW, going to be some pissed off fans unless Peacock offers a week free viewing that weekend

Stephen Douglas 49 mins ago
NBC announced today that the opening game of the 2021 Notre Dame Fighting Irish football season - the first game Drew Brees will work as an announcer for NBC - will be carried exclusively on NBC's streaming service Peacock. If that sounds shocking, it kind of is. Notre Dame football and NBC have been synonymous for the last forty years. Now they're putting the home opener on the Internet? Good luck explaining that to the Subway Alumni.

a close up of a person wearing a helmet: A Notre Dame helmet held in the air symbolically. | Andy Lyons/Getty Images
© Provided by The Big Lead A Notre Dame helmet held in the air symbolically. | Andy Lyons/Getty Images

Seriously, do you know a Notre Dame fan under 40? NBC now wants Fighting Irish fans to try a free trial so they can have access to a few seasons of The Office, a bunch of Bravo shows about people who work on fancy boats and one Notre Dame game against Toledo?

We all understand what is happening. NBC needs people to subscribe to Peacock. They need money. Please give them your money so they can keep making episodes of The Blacklist and paying for the Olympics they aren't showing you and yup, that's where I was actually going with this the entire time.

Have you enjoyed your Olympic viewing experience this year? Obviously, you can't blame NBC for the time difference, but it feels like even when something is happening live during daylight hours, you're lucky to see it. It's either on a random channel that doesn't match the program guide or hidden behind the Peacock paywall so NBC can try and pretend it didn't happen yet so they can show it to people who don't even actually care about sports in primetime. Also, sometimes they schedule swimming or running early in the morning in Tokyo so something is actually live on NBC each night.

No actual sports fan wants to watch something on tape delay. This was covered in the Seinfeld pilot 32 years ago. That also aired on NBC.

The only thing worse than that is that one-to-two minute delay you get streaming sports online. Anyone who has cut the cord in favor of some combination of streaming services knows the pain of trying to watch a game and be on Twitter. Admittedly, this is a very specific problem, but it's real. If you're online, specifically on Twitter, and watching sports online - like on Peacock for example - you're probably going to have a big moment ruined. While this is a choice that cord-cutters make, it's something that will always hang over the head of streaming services.

The other downside to sports moving to various streamers is that flipping back and forth is just not as simple. Changing tabs or apps, loading pages, buffering streams. How's your Internet connection? How far is that device from your wireless router? It's long been a running joke that by the time you add up all your streaming services, you might as well have cable. And cable comes with a remote and numbers and the always wonderful "previous channel" button.

I guess the ultimate question is how far will NBC go to sell you Peacock? So far they've put the Olympics and Notre Dame football behind a paywall. Those are two things you used to get on NBC for free. Will the Kentucky Derby move to Peacock? Maybe just the backstretch? How about the entire second round of The Open Championship? Perhaps that Saturday NFL Wild Card game in January? Don't think they're not discussing this.

It's not just NBC. Each major network is trying to figure out how much they can push you and charge you before you break. NBC is just the first network to fire major shots in the streaming wars. Now someone has to pay.

Last edited:
Have you enjoyed your Olympic viewing experience this year? Obviously, you can't blame NBC for the time difference, but it feels like even when something is happening live during daylight hours, you're lucky to see it. It's either on a random channel that doesn't match the program guide or hidden behind the Peacock paywall so NBC can try and pretend it didn't happen yet so they can show it to people who don't even actually care about sports in primetime. Also, sometimes they schedule swimming or running early in the morning in Tokyo so something is actually live on NBC each night.
Excellent summary of the Olympic coverage. Should be in future playbooks in the section 'What not to do.'

Last edited:
according to Yahoo! Sports

• The game is likely a litmus test for the power of Notre Dame to deliver streams. With Notre Dame’s television rights expiring in 2025, the game could deliver empirical evidence to the power that Notre Dame football can deliver to a streaming service. Notre Dame’s deal is currently considered under market, and this could be a harbinger for how significantly that changes.
So if you are dumb enough to subscribe to watch it, they are going to "move the goalposts" and make ND football PPV.

Reactions: step.eng69
Is this the beginning of the end for the BTN finance model of picking teams simply because they’re near big population centers? If that collapses suddenly the conference is left with a significant amount of teams no one wants to watch without the cable money.

Reactions: KC-KS-Lion
WWE wrestling (WWF for you old school folk) is on Peacock, if that might make you interested.

Although I feel like if you aren't already, this is not going to sway you.

Isn't Florida State the opening game? WOW, going to be some pissed off fans unless Peacock offers a week free viewing that weekend

NBC announced today that the opening game of the 2021 Notre Dame Fighting Irish football season - the first game Drew Brees will work as an announcer for NBC - will be carried exclusively on NBC's streaming service Peacock. If that sounds shocking, it kind of is. Notre Dame football and NBC have been synonymous for the last forty years. Now they're putting the home opener on the Internet? Good luck explaining that to the Subway Alumni.

a close up of a person wearing a helmet: A Notre Dame helmet held in the air symbolically. | Andy Lyons/Getty Images
© Provided by The Big Lead A Notre Dame helmet held in the air symbolically. | Andy Lyons/Getty Images

Seriously, do you know a Notre Dame fan under 40? NBC now wants Fighting Irish fans to try a free trial so they can have access to a few seasons of The Office, a bunch of Bravo shows about people who work on fancy boats and one Notre Dame game against Toledo?

We all understand what is happening. NBC needs people to subscribe to Peacock. They need money. Please give them your money so they can keep making episodes of The Blacklist and paying for the Olympics they aren't showing you and yup, that's where I was actually going with this the entire time.

No actual sports fan wants to watch something on tape delay. This was covered in the Seinfeld pilot 32 years ago. That also aired on NBC.

The only thing worse than that is that one-to-two minute delay you get streaming sports online. Anyone who has cut the cord in favor of some combination of streaming services knows the pain of trying to watch a game and be on Twitter. Admittedly, this is a very specific problem, but it's real. If you're online, specifically on Twitter, and watching sports online - like on Peacock for example - you're probably going to have a big moment ruined. While this is a choice that cord-cutters make, it's something that will always hang over the head of streaming services.

The other downside to sports moving to various streamers is that flipping back and forth is just not as simple. Changing tabs or apps, loading pages, buffering streams. How's your Internet connection? How far is that device from your wireless router? It's long been a running joke that by the time you add up all your streaming services, you might as well have cable. And cable comes with a remote and numbers and the always wonderful "previous channel" button.

I guess the ultimate question is how far will NBC go to sell you Peacock? So far they've put the Olympics and Notre Dame football behind a paywall. Those are two things you used to get on NBC for free. Will the Kentucky Derby move to Peacock? Maybe just the backstretch? How about the entire second round of The Open Championship? Perhaps that Saturday NFL Wild Card game in January? Don't think they're not discussing this.

It's not just NBC. Each major network is trying to figure out how much they can push you and charge you before you break. NBC is just the first network to fire major shots in the streaming wars. Now someone has to pay.

Screw ND and their entire fan base & NBC!!

Does that mean no commercials?

• Haha
Reactions: TheGLOV
My guess is that it will be on the free Peacock just to get people used to using the network. Once they get Peacock more into the mainstream they might shift some programming over to the paid streaming portion of their broadcasting.

So, Peacock has three tiers - Free, Premium ($4.99/mo), and Premium Plus ($9.99/mo). I assume this will not be part of the free service…
I was going to mention this. As a Comcast customer, you get the free tier. I wonder if it will be available on it. A lot of my English premier league soccer games are played on peacock and it's fine.

Reactions: Midnighter2
I was going to mention this. As a Comcast customer, you get the free tier. I wonder if it will be available on it. A lot of my English premier league soccer games are played on peacock and it's fine.

Actually, no, as a Comcast customer you get the "Premium" tier for free. It's just that tier has commercials, but has the full content. Premium Plus is the same without commercials.

The "Free" tier can be used by anyone but has less content. I highly doubt the ND game will appear on that tier.

Actually, no, as a Comcast customer you get the "Premium" tier for free. It's just that tier has commercials, but has the full content. Premium Plus is the same without commercials.

The "Free" tier can be used by anyone but has less content. I highly doubt the ND game will appear on that tier.

I got Spectrum cable and Notre Dame appears on my ""they can kiss my ass" tier.

And it's free!

:)

Gotcha, that make sense. I think I have the same content as whatever the highest tier has... But with commercials. It's included so not complaining.

In reading the article, it jumps out that ND's TV rights expire in 2025. ND has kind of aligned with the ACC for football, the B1G for hockey and has their own TV rights. With conference expansion, they have to make a decision. Streaming services or conference alignment to maximize revenues?

I don't know if they can continue to get away with the whole "independent" thing. here in NE Ohio, ND has been a big figure as the area feeds the programs of tOSU, UM, MSU and PSU with ND. Most of the good HS programs are from Catholic schools (if you can still call them that). You used to see a LOT of ND gear but that is less and less.

ND has some tough decisions to make. This is just a probe to see what is possible with streaming. They'll use this, and a few others, to inform their upcoming decisions.

This is where the people need to stand together and say no. If you miss a Toledo game then so be it. Because I will tell you this, they sell a ton of Toldeo you are going to get raped when they play someone worth a shit.

So I ask everyone this......Penn State vs Villanova goes to some sort of PPV, you buying?

Reactions: psu00
This is where the people need to stand together and say no. If you miss a Toledo game then so be it. Because I will tell you this, they sell a ton of Toldeo you are going to get raped when they play someone worth a shit.

So I ask everyone this......Penn State vs Villanova goes to some sort of PPV, you buying?
Nope. Will be there in person

Reactions: Texas Lion
They tried this many years ago with closed circuit for boxing which then led to PPV. That's worked to some extent. Now everything will be esentially PPV and you'll need multiple platforms. ESPiN did this with the Bundelsliga contact--I think two games were on regualr ESPiN and everything else was on their pay streaming site. Fox used to have 3-5 games a week and occasionally on OTA tv. So I don't watch any more--except highlights which are still free (for now). When I remember.

Reactions: Texas Lion
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT