ADVERTISEMENT

NCAAs

jack66

May 29, 2001
Some will say it's too early to talk about the tourney, but here goes anyway.

Last year we scored a total of 26.5 points at 125+141+149+157+165, with most of the points coming from Nick Lee.

Will Steen+Bartlett+SVN+Haines+Facundo match or exceed that total? If we get zero at 125, the other four will need to average over 6.5 points. IMO, we will need at least a couple of AAs, or someone will have to go big.

What are your thoughts?

Reactions: BrockBronson
another way to look at it ... will the other 5 weights score more or less than last year? Will be hard to score more.

Reactions: jack66
2nd place is 16 pts before bonus.

3rd place via WWWLWW is 13.5 pts before bonus.

4th place via WWWLWL is 12.5 pts before bonus

5th place via WWLWWLW is 10 pts before bonus.

6th place via WWLWWLL is 9 pts before bonus.

7th place via WWLWLW is 6.5 pts before bonus.

8th place via WWLWLL is 5.5 pts before bonus.

There are other ways to get there (3-8) but using that as a baseline…

I can easily see top 6 from Beau and Haines. That’s 18+ before bonus. Can also easily see top 8 from at least one of SVN and Facundo. 5.5+ more, if not 11+ more, before bonus.

I think we get to the 26.5 pts lost from last year. Maybe more and not substantially less if fall short.

there are always 1st and 2nd round upsets and I just hope we're on the correct side of those. Thus, the brackets do play a part when looking at points for those that are not going to get the crown

Reactions: Ski and jack66
The second round is going to be big for these guys.

I can easily see top 6 from Beau and Haines. That’s 18+ before bonus. Can also easily see top 8 from at least one of SVN and Facundo. 5.5+ more, if not 11+ more, before bonus.

I think we get to the 26.5 pts lost from last year. Maybe more and not substantially less if fall short.

Thanks for the input. As you say, those numbers are definitely within reach. If one of them can catch fire and reach the top 4 we'll be about halfway to 26.5. Anyone of them is capable of doing that.

Reactions: mcpat
I also think Kerk scores more points than last year. Of course, RBY, Starocci, Brooks and Dean all have to then replicate what they did last year.

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
I don’t see BB places high
If things fell right and they improve
I could see 149. 157 and 165 in that 7-12 range

I don’t think it’s a gimme they AA and I think that’s why Levi’s shirt was pulled They will need his points

A few studs is the way to go and always has been. i’m interested to see your 165 and 157 in a tournament setting. 157 clearly talented and likely tactically in the right mindset for our 157.

Idk it’s all just interesting to me these days, patiently awaiting a T&T exit. Nothing wrong with them, just feel like those days are no longer “acceptable.”. Seriously you can’t even misjudge a gender these days.

You never know what may happen but as of now I am not concerned at all. I don't see any other team scoring 100 points. In fact I don't think any other team will even score 90. Right now without bonus points Intermat has Iowa in 2nd scoring 70 points.
unsure why you even consider this a year to be concerned. I miss Eierman a lot but Woods is doing some crazy stuff as well.

Reactions: mcpat
Some will say it's too early to talk about the tourney, but here goes anyway.

Last year we scored a total of 26.5 points at 125+141+149+157+165, with most of the points coming from Nick Lee.

Will Steen+Bartlett+SVN+Haines+Facundo match or exceed that total? If we get zero at 125, the other four will need to average over 6.5 points. IMO, we will need at least a couple of AAs, or someone will have to go big.

What are your thoughts?

"We need a well balanced team"

The “concerned” is a long-standing forum joke and the stand with pride has nothing too do with gays, so yes, now we have a beef.
hahaha. I was responding to others who posted but I’ll add insecure to the gay attributes and move on….

BTW, and I know this sounds nuts, but if you go back and look, it’s literally right there for you to see what i’m responding to. And sign on your 165, 157, 141, and 149. They’ve got a lot of work to do and time will tell.

hahaha. I was responding to others who posted but I’ll add insecure to the gay attributes and move on….

BTW, and I know this sounds nuts, but if you go back and look, it’s literally right there for you to see what i’m responding to. And sign on your 165, 157, 141, and 149. They’ve got a lot of work to do and time will tell.
I dont care what attributes you think I have and yes,please move on.

Reactions: ccdiver
I dont care what attributes you think I have and yes,please move on.
Don’t have that expectation and tip of the cap if you truly mean it. “Other people’s opinions of self are irrelevant other than those you involve yourself with personally and financially.”

-NCHAWK5 god rest his soul

Yeah, the 26.5 is certainly within reach. With 165 being stacked and Facundo still developing his offense, it will be really tough to AA there. He can win just about any close match, but many consecutive close matches in that tournament is a tall
order, especially for a freshman. Yet, loaded weight classes can get blown up in early rounds and cause dramatic changes in guys’ paths.

One key will be BB finding a way to break out and start winning with authority more consistently against low-AA level guys. Again, any single nailbiter can be won, but putting together a string of such wins at Nationals is super tough. Bonusing 1st & 2nd round guys would be nice.

SVN is already a guy who can bonus a couple guys, depending how the bracket aligns and plays out. Let’s see how his wrestling responds after the Murin match.

I think Haines “could” be our next “super frosh” to make a mark, redshirt, and then come back onto the stage for 3 years of other-worldly beastliness. He may be the best shot for someone in the 141-165 group to crack Top 5. If that happens, and BB joins him, then I think we’re in great shape to get to 26.5.

We probably do not need that many points from that group, and as always, we’ll have to wait and see how health plays out.

We probably won’t need as many points as we did last year. The “pack” starts at 2nd place, with a lot of parity therein. That said, I think we get 3 AAs out of that group—maybe zero, but it shouldn’t matter much, barring injuries as always.

? 🤷‍♂️ we have beef or something? Also, what’s with the gay reference in your username?

Not that there’s anything wrong with it, just sort of upsets the stomach a bit.
giphy.gif

Hate to even bring up the I word but that could change the equation as well. Hopefully everyone finishes season feeling well.
Was very glad to see Kerkvliet come back with a big win! I feel like the big 5 will produce very close to same as last year.
41-65 will be the most exciting part of watching the first couple days of the tournament. Hoping for twice as many wins as loses out of this group and we should be fine if that happens.

Reactions: ccdiver
I think we pass that 26.5 number but it will be close. The key might be getting some bonus on the backside after taking a loss. I think BB and Levi AA and that if SVN and Facundo keep improving they have a great shot as well. 165 is stupid deep so Facundo has a tough road but beating Amine shows he’s absolutely capable. Shouldn’t matter a ton in the overall outcome though because I don’t think the team race will be close at all

Another to the ignore list. I try to like Iowa fans but when they say shit like this it’s so easy to dislike them
Lol. I’m actually one of the nicer ones. I am of the mindset that if you swing a punch, take one and move on. I didn’t swing first…..

Yeah, the 26.5 is certainly within reach. With 165 being stacked and Facundo still developing his offense, it will be really tough to AA there. He can win just about any close match, but many consecutive close matches in that tournament is a tall
order, especially for a freshman. Yet, loaded weight classes can get blown up in early rounds and cause dramatic changes in guys’ paths.

One key will be BB finding a way to break out and start winning with authority more consistently against low-AA level guys. Again, any single nailbiter can be won, but putting together a string of such wins at Nationals is super tough. Bonusing 1st & 2nd round guys would be nice.

SVN is already a guy who can bonus a couple guys, depending how the bracket aligns and plays out. Let’s see how his wrestling responds after the Murin match.

I think Haines “could” be our next “super frosh” to make a mark, redshirt, and then come back onto the stage for 3 years of other-worldly beastliness. He may be the best shot for someone in the 141-165 group to crack Top 5. If that happens, and BB joins him, then I think we’re in great shape to get to 26.5.

We probably do not need that many points from that group, and as always, we’ll have to wait and see how health plays out.
Good analysis.

Bartlett's record is an improvement over last year, but until Friday, he hadn't faced a top-20 opponent at 141.

I don't see him changing the way he wrestles. He's a tough and athletic kid, but as you say, his style will lead to a bunch of nail-biters.

The other 3 are Fr, so we could see a lot of improvement in the next 6 weeks. I second your assessment of Haines.

Last edited:
Reactions: slushhead
I think we pass that 26.5 number but it will be close. The key might be getting some bonus on the backside after taking a loss. I think BB and Levi AA and that if SVN and Facundo keep improving they have a great shot as well. 165 is stupid deep so Facundo has a tough road but beating Amine shows he’s absolutely capable. Shouldn’t matter a ton in the overall outcome though because I don’t think the team race will be close at all
Im glad we added Levi and actually feel he will outplace all these others.
65 is insane and will be happy if Alex makes it too Saturday afternoon.

Thanks for the back-up BTW.

Reactions: zzs006
? 🤷‍♂️ we have beef or something? Also, what’s with the gay reference in your username?

Not that there’s anything wrong with it, just sort of upsets the stomach a bit.
That pride is in reference to a pride of lions like nittany lions. Geesh

Reactions: hlstone
there are always 1st and 2nd round upsets and I just hope we're on the correct side of those. Thus, the brackets do play a part when looking at points for those that are not going to get the crown
and the crazy thing about those upsets is that you don't have to be directly involved for them to be impactful. a highly seeded wrestler dropping into your wrestle-back path is big problems. alternatively, it can open up a cakewalk to AA.

Analyzing our non returning champs/Kerk and it's kind of the same it's always been.

Bartlett has the best path to AA just because how open the weight is. Depends on his seed but he'll be in dogfights against any NQ to be honest (though I think his first round should be a controlled win like he has against guys like Mattin, Belton) .... I would have loved to see him against Swiderski. That being said the McNeil win looks better now. I think he AA's still, lower end.

Van Ness I think has the talent to do it but has a way to go. Murin is kind of the gate keeper and he failed that test. That being said, as Clay said, he wrestled 2 matches as a true freshman against really overmatched opponents so he's really learning every match.

Levi wrestles a lot of close matches but his defense also keeps him in it and as he showed against Cobe, he is also pretty positionally aware (and not super likely to get caught), I feel relatively good about him AAing.

Facundo will be an annoying draw in that he is hard to take down and might give you a scare but he needs more of his own offense. It's been said enough how deep 165 is, I'd be very pleasantly surprised if he AAs.

I think the closest team is clearly Iowa:

Iowa's top 2 will get them a lot of points (50+), Cassioppi is Top 3 lock IMO with solid bonus potential. They might get close to 70 just from those 3. I'd be shocked if Jacob Warner doesn't AA also, he just always does.

They have a lot of guys on the cusp of AA'ing, Murin looks like he might have broken through though to be honest, he looks pretty similar to last year and I think we might have overrated Van Ness a lot. Kennedy, I would pick to AA but probably lower end as well. I can also see a scrambler picking him off in R12. Nelson is kind of like Facundo in that he's a brutally annoying early draw but I'm not sure he has enough of his own offense to AA. Abe who knows, he looked good to start the season. Siebrecht might be a kid who funks his way to an early upset or pick up some pins on the backside.

All in all, I wouldn't be totally shocked to see Iowa get around 100.

ADVERTISEMENT