ADVERTISEMENT

Need advice for BBQ cooking wireless thermometer

PSU95alum

Jul 27, 2006
Not looking to break the bank, but also want one that works well and will last.

Will be using on BGE type cooker. Not sure if wireless or Bluetooth is best. Recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thx.

I've used RediChck wireless with two probes for several years with no complaints - $40 at WalMart

I also use a PartyQ to maintain a constant temp for long cooks like brisket (my favorite), but that's a bit more of an investment at $150.

Reactions: PearlSUJam
If you go to www,amazingribs.com. They have a scientific break down on all those probes

I've used RediChck wireless with two probes for several years with no complaints - $40 at WalMart

I also use a PartyQ to maintain a constant temp for long cooks like brisket (my favorite), but that's a bit more of an investment at $150.
Thanks. Does the cheaper one have a phone app or must you use the display only?

Got a Flame Boss from a recommendation from this site and it is awesome.

Been smoking meet for over 18 years and I can finally get a good night sleep (unless it raining bc my Flame Boss is not waterproof.)

Thanks. Does the cheaper one have a phone app or must you use the display only?

The Redi Chek is a dual probe thermometer that uses its own wireless connection to the remote (no bluetooth).

The PartyQ is a different type of device that has the sole function of maintaining a constant smoker temperature by regulating (by fan) airflow so you don't have to constantly monitor or adjust vents. This is of tremendous help in those 10+ hour smokes.

Disregard my post above.

Digital thermometers are not created Ed equal. Most come from China and will be out of wack by 5-15 degrees and will only last 1-3 years once you calibrate it.

Spend the $ and get something from Thermo Works. Last forever and accurate out of the box.

Last edited:
I got a Weber wireless one that has a Bluetooth app to your phone. Used it for the first time at thanksgiving. I checked it’s accuacy with a standard thermometer and it was dead on. I liked the app. I paid around $45 at home depot

The Redi Chek is a dual probe thermometer that uses its own wireless connection to the remote (no bluetooth).

The PartyQ is a different type of device that has the sole function of maintaining a constant smoker temperature by regulating (by fan) airflow so you don't have to constantly monitor or adjust vents. This is of tremendous help in those 10+ hour smokes.
Thx. I don’t think I’m ready for the PartyQ yet. But the redi check might be just the thing I’m looking for. I’ll look into it more. Thx!

I got a Weber wireless one that has a Bluetooth app to your phone. Used it for the first time at thanksgiving. I checked it’s accuacy with a standard thermometer and it was dead on. I liked the app. I paid around $45 at home depot
Thanks. I assume since it’s Bluetooth, you can’t stray too far from the probes to get a read on your phone?

Ignore my post above.

A geraric thermometer from Amazon will generally come out of wack by 5-20 degrees. And will never be reliable. If you take the the time to calibrate them.

Take a $ bath and buy something from Thermo Works and it will last a lifetime.
Good advice. You always get what you pay for.

Claims it good for a few 100 feet. The WiFi one was too expense
I think that would be enough. I’d only need the WiFi one if I could actually control the temp from phone when away from the house, which I’m assuming is what the units with the fans can do.

I have the Smoke pro series from thermo works. So far so good. I also had one from Redi Check from Thermoworks. That one was not very accurate. It was off 10-15 degrees I think. But you figure that out and adjust.
The Thermo works was recommended by amazing ribs linked above

Last edited:
Reactions: PSU87
Thx. I don’t think I’m ready for the PartyQ yet. But the redi check might be just the thing I’m looking for. I’ll look into it more. Thx!

Forgot to mention the other essential if you don't already have one -- a Thermapen (or similar brand). Does an instantaneous read of your internal meat temperature so you can double-check before taking it off.

Forgot to mention the other essential if you don't already have one -- a Thermapen (or similar brand). Does an instantaneous read of your internal meat temperature so you can double-check before taking it off.
Absolutely. I already had one of those in my Amazon cart when I went looking for the wireless probe. Thanks!

Reactions: YeOldeCup
Disregard my post above.

Digital thermometers are not created Ed equal. Most come from China and will be out of wack by 5-15 degrees and will only last 1-3 years once you calibrate it.

Spend the $ and get something from Thermo Works. Last forever and accurate out of the box.

+1 on Thermo Works. Money well spent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT