ADVERTISEMENT

New Crystal Ball Rankings

OzarkLion

Jan 4, 2022

Willy's new Crystal Ball Rankings are up with the good guys projected to run away with another title.

125: Interesting that Robbie Howard is not listed. Perhaps Willy thinks he'll get hurt or not be up to speed coming back from his time off.
133: Champ #1
141: Willy is high on BB with a 3rd place finish
149: SVN rounds out the podium with an 8th-place finish. Nice to see Murin on the podium as well.
157: Willy thinks Levi will get his redshirt pulled but fall short of the podium (Blood Round)
165: Facundo is projecting to fall short as well (Blood Round)
174: Champ #2
184: Champ #3
197: Champ #4
HWT: Kerk falling just short of his goal with a 2nd

Overall, pretty fair rankings. I think Beau's projection is a little lofty, but Levi and Facundo's might be a little low. Regardless, it's just right around the corner and I can't wait to watch it shake out!

I think 0 at 125 is fair seeing how Robbie didn't look that good in free and got hurt in his last match. Bullish on Beau but I think 1 AA finish out of SVN, Levi, Alex (and it's 8th) is conservative also.

Iowa is about 30 points back and Willie gave them a pretty good tournament with Murin and Kennedy finishing 4th.

All of the above comments are valid and well informed. I thought the same about Howard, and remain cautiously optimistic, but If I were a betting man, would not wager on a full season until I see one in the books.

Let's take some time to high 5 Willie for his consistently solid crystal ball predictions. At least there is one wrestling expert out there who has stones enough to put his wrestling mind where his mouth (or in this case where his keyboard or pen) is.

I prefer the experts sticking their necks out a bit, knowing that virtually every fan base out there will find areas to challenge if not get pissed off. Truth be told most fans want to see what the experts think of the impact of inbound Freshmen and Redshirts, especially the blue chippers. Too many other ranking services don't rate them due to a limited or non-existent body of collegiate work. Most experts don't go there to the detriment of forecasting in the first place.

Willie, this kind of stuff is why we love you brother.

PS - thanks for the good work, and helping us out with Sealy. ;-)

Just kidding HR.

All of the above comments are valid and well informed. I thought the same about Howard, and remain cautiously optimistic, but If I were a betting man, would not wager on a full season until I see one in the books.

Let's take some time to high 5 Willie for his consistently solid crystal ball predictions. At least there is one wrestling expert out there who has stones enough to put his wrestling mind where his mouth (or in this case where his keyboard or pen) is.

I prefer the experts sticking their necks out a bit, knowing that virtually every fan base out there will find areas to challenge if not get pissed off. Truth be told most fans want to see what the experts think of the impact of inbound Freshmen and Redshirts, especially the blue chippers. Too many other ranking services don't rate them due to a limited or non-existent body of collegiate work. Most experts don't go there to the detriment of forecasting in the first place.

Just kidding HR.
What's HR lol

Reactions: WexfordWarrior

Just kidding HR.
Willie and Basch were taking about the NCAAs preview, and the topic of Willie's Crystal ball came up.

He didn't come out and say it directly but did allude to his leaving our 125 with no points at nationals, because he isn't hearing great things about Robbie's shoulder. If true you really have to feel for the kid. Damn it.

I hate to say the curse may still be with us, but as I stated above and several times over the summer. I will believe Robbie has made his way back only after I see a full season out of him. At the moment I have zero confidence and if we do see him I will be on the edge of my seat for the wrong reasons every single match. I definitely would not send him out vs Spencer.

Lilledahl is a MUST!!

I think so. A drop at the lower weights is a big deal. For next year how about a little Anthony Noto portal action?
Doesn’t Robbie have 4 yrs eligibility left? Seems like you have him written off as injury riddled (you may be right). But until we hear something official from the coaches or Robbie himself, I’m expecting him to take Noto out next week.
When is the pre-season press conference this year?

But until we hear something official from the coaches or Robbie himself,
why-him-why-him-gi-fs.gif

I don't know why we have to hear anything from Willie or anyone else. It's just common sense. Robbie hasn't made it through a tournament without suffering some kind of reinjury in over two years, maybe more.

The wrestlers that make it all the way back from severe shoulder injuries are the exceptions, not the rule.

Rooting for him, but no one should expect him to score points this year. Hope I'm wrong. But look at our roster - there is a heavy number of 125s on it. I'm not the only one with common sense.

Willie and Basch were taking about the NCAAs preview, and the topic of Willie's Crystal ball came up.

He didn't come out and say it directly but did allude to his leaving our 125 with no points at nationals, because he isn't hearing great things about Robbie's shoulder. If true you really have to feel for the kid. Damn it.

I hate to say the curse may still be with us, but as I stated above and several times over the summer. I will believe Robbie has made his way back only after I see a full season out of him. At the moment I have zero confidence and if we do see him I will be on the edge of my seat for the wrong reasons every single match. I definitely would not send him out vs Spencer.

Lilledahl is a MUST!!
Willie didn’t really say he is hearing things from people but it’s more like a vibe or feeling he has that Robbie isn’t doing that well with the shoulder. I mean if we are all gonna be honest with ourselves, aren’t we all concerned about the shoulder since he seemed to bang it up again last we saw him? IMO, Willie is just taking a wait and see approach like most of us are taking. I’ll be honest, the reason why Lillendahl for me is the one left I want most in class of ‘24 has more to do with Robbie’s shoulder than his actual performance because I think Robbie will be a beast if healthy.

Last edited:
Let’s just see what happens, no reason to automatically panic.
Agreed.

Suggestion: If anyone starts to feel anxious, close your eyes, take a deep breath and slowly repeatedly chant "James English."

Actually I believe Robbie's last injury was an elbow. Does that make me feel a little better, maybe, but not much?

Let's all hope he just comes out of the gate racing and never looks back.

Reactions: hlstone
Willie didn’t really say he is hearing things from people but it’s more like a vibe or feeling he has that Robbie isn’t doing that well with the shoulder. I mean if we are all gonna be honest with ourselves, aren’t we all concerned about the shoulder since he seemed to bang it up again last we saw him? IMO, Willie is just taking a wait and see approach like most of us are taking. I’ll be honest, the reason why Lillendahl for me is the one left I want most in class of ‘24 has more to do with Robbie’s shoulder than his actual performance because I think Robbie will be a beast if healthy.
Comments like this are what makes me feel like we have a common mindset.
I'm letting my dog make the picks this year. I've resisted asking him in the past because he already thinks he's smarter than me but I didn't really want to confirm it for him.
Then I read this and think....he has been on HR for too long. 😋

I don't get on Twitter, has anybody checked his tweets? Robbie seems to communicate with his status through the bird system.

Doesn’t Robbie have 4 yrs eligibility left? Seems like you have him written off as injury riddled (you may be right). But until we hear something official from the coaches or Robbie himself, I’m expecting him to take Noto out next week.
When is the pre-season press conference this year?
He's not taking Noto out even if he's 100%

• Wow
Reactions: hlstone
He's not taking Noto out even if he's 100%
Put me in the camp that a healthy 3rd year Howard, at full strength will both surprise you and take out Noto. Yes I know where Noto is projected.

That said Willie is neither reckless nor I'll informed. Projecting zero points for us at 125 is not something we (I) can't just brush away as a little bag of nothingness.

Last edited:
Agreed.

Suggestion: If anyone starts to feel anxious, close your eyes, take a deep breath and slowly repeatedly chant "James English."

I agree as well. Maybe reason to worry, but the last time I worried about a shoulder holding up, we crowned a champion.

The Flo guys have been “pimpin” Noto lately so maybe that swayed his opinion. Noto is scrappy but don’t think I’d ever say Howard has no chance of beating him.
Didnt even hear that. Im just pretty familiar with Noto. He's from my area, trained with Greg and Yianni in the Garage and got a raw deal at NCSt. Had a great summer in Freestyle and would have represented the team USA if Vito didnt take the automatic spot. Kid has worked hard to get where he is and he's thriving under the Lock Haven coaches. I think he's better than Howard yes. I think he will handle Steen Friday. And believe me I bleed Blue and White.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
I have family in NY very into NY high school wrestling that likewise couldn’t say enough good things about Noto last year when the subject came up at tournament time.

Yes, i'll say it. Noto, portal, winter semester or 2023/4? Take a gander down the top 20 and this is the one that jumps out at me. (Combo of ability/potential, geography, remaining eligibility)

PS - I called this last week before the Howard injury news came out. Do I have any inside info? Zero! Nonetheless, audited results show I am right about 31.72% of the time, so I got that going for me, which is nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Antaeus
Yes, i'll say it. Noto, portal, winter semester or 2023/4? Take a gander down the top 20 and this is the one that jumps out at me.

PS - I called this last week before the Howard injury news came out. Do I have any inside info? Zero! Nonetheless, audited results show I am right about 31.72% of the time, so I got that going for me, which is nice.

68% of all statistics are made up.

Yes, i'll say it. Noto, portal, winter semester or 2023/4? Take a gander down the top 20 and this is the one that jumps out at me. (Combo of ability/potential, geography, remaining eligibility)

0*B0Axp6tXQ2vGeLni

or not...

ADVERTISEMENT