ADVERTISEMENT

New OT rules

Lovethissport

Jan 17, 2014
I just read that the rules committee just approved new OT rules for next year. Two minutes sudden victory followed by two one minute ride out periods…then match is over. If still tied, decided on criteria…riding time.

I just read that the rules committee just approved new OT rules for next year. Two minutes sudden victory followed by two one minute ride out periods…then match is over. If still tied, decided on criteria…riding time.
So almost the same thing, but not quite. I guess it may be less confusing to novice fans to not have multiple cycles of the same thing. Maybe 2 min straight of OT will favor the better conditioned wrestler.

Overtime
The panel approved changing the first sudden-victory overtime period to two minutes in length. Previously, both the first and second sudden-victory overtime periods were one minute long. With this new rule, the second sudden-victory overtime period would remain at one minute.

In addition to the time change, one of the wrestlers may be declared the winner after the completion of the first tiebreaker period if either of the wrestlers has at least one second of net time advantage.

=======================

Here's how I interpret this:

SV-1: 2:00
TB-1: alternating 0:30 stall-outs (duration change not mentioned in the link)
If score tied, winner declared with 0:01 RT advantage.

If still no winner:
SV-2: 1:00
TB-2: alternating 0:30 stall-outs
If score tied, winner declared with 0:01 RT advantage.

Matches could potentially last 12 minutes -- conditioning will definitely play a factor.

"In addition to the time change, one of the wrestlers may be declared the winner after the completion of the first tiebreaker period if either of the wrestlers has at least one second of net time advantage."

May be declared the winner? It's discretionary?

"In addition to the time change, one of the wrestlers may be declared the winner after the completion of the first tiebreaker period if either of the wrestlers has at least one second of net time advantage."

May be declared the winner? It's discretionary?
So the guy who tries the most is declared the winner?

• Haha
Reactions: Dogwelder
I like two minutes sudden victory instead of one. I'd rather settle the match with a TD instead of a ride out and two minutes gives the wrestlers a better chance at that.

is the sudden victory a full 2 minutes regardless of scoring? Meaning a TD, reversal and ride out would then be determined by riding time. Correct?

is the sudden victory a full 2 minutes regardless of scoring? Meaning a TD, reversal and ride out would then be determined by riding time. Correct?
Probably wouldn't be called sudden victory if that were the case. Only thing that changed is one minutes to two for SV1, and that the match can end on a RT point in TB1.

I think the net result of these changes will be that far fewer matches will even get to SV2, because more matches will end in SV1, given the extra minute on their feet, and in scenarios where both wrestlers escape in TB1, it's likely one wrestler will have a RT advantage, unless both of their escapes took place at the, say, :02 mark. In most cases you only get to SV2 if both guys ride out in TB1.

Reactions: El-Jefe
Cornell's Lawyers you know.
@NothingMeaningful after reading that post

dTcAHZc.jpg

Did I also see in the proposed rules that there will be weigh-ins at 2 hours prior during tournaments? Are we to understand that for the NCAA finals, weigh-ins will be 2 hours prior and not 6-7?

Clear as mud. Apparently if the match is tied then they first wrestle a 2 minute period sudden victory...then a 1 minute ride out and another 1 minute ride out...if the match is still tied, then whoever wins is chosen by a man who hides behind a giant curtain in a barber shop located in Clarion, Pennsylvania. I think his name is George.

The NCAA link above does not say stall-out periods will be 1 minute each.

If no one scores after two minutes of SV, declare them both the loser.

I don’t want to watch OSU not wrestle for nine minutes and win because they had :03 on the riding time clock. Or anyone else for that matter.

Last edited:
I think y'all are off on something. i truly don't know - but i think you are hung up on the word 'may'.

the way i read it, the wrestler with the most RT is the winner.

'may' is only in there b/c of the off chance RT is tied.

again, i could be wrong. it certainly could have been clearer.

So, if a wrestler wins a decision during regulation, his team is awarded 3 points. But, if the match ends in a tie, both teams then get zero points? Perhaps the number of points awarded for a decision in OT1 should be reduced to 2 teams points and a decision in OT2 reduced to 1 team point to reflect the closeness of the match.

Clear as mud. Apparently if the match is tied then they first wrestle a 2 minute period sudden victory...then a 1 minute ride out and another 1 minute ride out...if the match is still tied, then whoever wins is chosen by a man who hides behind a giant curtain in a barber shop located in Clarion, Pennsylvania. I think his name is George.
Cindy will be controlling the curtain to reveal George!

I think y'all are off on something. i truly don't know - but i think you are hung up on the word 'may'.

the way i read it, the wrestler with the most RT is the winner.

'may' is only in there b/c of the off chance RT is tied.

again, i could be wrong. it certainly could have been clearer.
If the wrestler with the most riding time is the winner, the word "will" should have been used instead of "may." One should not gave to guess at the meaning of a rule.

Last edited:
If the wrestler with the mist riding time id the winner, the word "will" should have been used instead of "may." One should not gave to guess at the meaning of a rule.
The problem with this thread is that everyone is reacting to a summary of the rule as opposed to the actual rule, which I don't believe has been published yet (typically it'll just be included when the NCAA updates the entire set of rules). I doubt the word "may" will be used in the actual rule. And I don't think "will" will be used either; it will probably be "shall."

But I think the implication from the summary is clear enough--that the only changes are (a) a 2-minute SV1, and (b) a wrestler can now win on RT in the first TB period.

Last edited:
Incentivizing riding time or leaving the wrestling surface in any way will be a net-negative in terms of action/interest over time.

Stupid.

Reactions: PASLP2
The problem with this thread is that everyone is reacting to a summary of the rule as opposed to the actual rule, which I don't believe has been published yet (typically it'll just be included when the NCAA updates the entire set of rules). I doubt the word "may" will be used in the actual rule. And I don't think "will" will be used either; it will probably be "shall."

But I think the implication from the summary is clear enough--that the only changes are (a) a 2-minute SV1, and (b) a wrestler can now win on RT in the first TB period.
The real question I have, does RT reset to zero at the end of regulation like it does now? I assume that's the case but if it doesn't, that would be a change.

Reactions: Roar More
The real question I have, does RT reset to zero at the end of regulation like it does now? I assume that's the case but if it doesn't, that would be a change.
I believe that such a pronounced rule change would have been mentioned in the summary, since it would greatly impact scoring. If RT carried over from regulation, it would present scenarios where the RT could not be overcome in TB at all.

I believe that such a pronounced rule change would have been mentioned in the summary, since it would greatly impact scoring. If RT carried over from regulation, it would present scenarios where the RT could not be overcome in TB at all.
Right, very true, but it might make for quite the aggressive 2 min SV period if one guy knew he was at a major deficit if it goes TB. However, I do think you're right that it will reset.

ADVERTISEMENT