ADVERTISEMENT

New "Top Gun" trailer

They are movies ... not reality. Maybe just watch them for the enjoyment and escape the reality of the world for 2 hours. Yes.......There are plot holes, time continuums that are impossible, fantasy characters, dragons, robots, superpowers - enjoy it for what it is and not what it is not. They are for entertainment. 30 yrs ago.....the movies were fine and people loved them and people did not wet themselves every two minutes. We didnt have the woke police searching for something to cry in a corner about.

Its actually sad when people spend their time cutting everything down because it is not perfect, Everything has to fit into their woke, social justice, Im so offended mind set.... eventually the offended, woke cancel culture turns on itself...

What is laughable.... all the negative posters havent even seen the movie but they have it all figured out. Just dont go see it.

Reactions: johnmpsu
My biggest gripe with this sequel is that I should have already been able to watch it HBO. Release the damn thing already no more of this it needs to be seen on a big screen thing so we can't release it during COVID.

They are movies ... not reality. Maybe just watch them for the enjoyment and escape the reality of the world for 2 hours. Yes.......There are plot holes, time continuums that are impossible, fantasy characters, dragons, robots, superpowers - enjoy it for what it is and not what it is not. They are for entertainment. 30 yrs ago.....the movies were fine and people loved them and people did not wet themselves every two minutes. We didnt have the woke police searching for something to cry in a corner about.

Its actually sad when people spend their time cutting everything down because it is not perfect, Everything has to fit into their woke, social justice, Im so offended mind set.... eventually the offended, woke cancel culture turns on itself...

What is laughable.... all the negative posters havent even seen the movie but they have it all figured out. Just dont go see it.
meh...I don't know. It is one thing to take a leap of reality watching a lead character get his by a lead pipe and fights on or a 120 lb woman beat up a 240 lb dude. It depends on if the movie is trying to portray this as reality.

Regardless, I don't think we should be shutting down the criticism. It is what it is. You don't have to participate if you don't want to.

it's a good point. But I also watched 16 candles, which I very much enjoyed years ago. I had my 16 year old daughter watch it with me on family movie night. One of the original scenes is a couple of girls making fun of another girl for dating the black guys. I turned it off. Recently I’ve read some scathing attacks on the producer and Director for the racist views

so while there are some things that make you cringe, there are also things that are highly entertaining. Nothing is ever perfect and things change
You know, someday, all of the folks making scathing attacks on the past will find someone in the future making a scathing attack on one of their views. It's not completly fair to judge past mores by current views.

meh...I don't know. It is one thing to take a leap of reality watching a lead character get his by a lead pipe and fights on or a 120 lb woman beat up a 240 lb dude. It depends on if the movie is trying to portray this as reality.

Regardless, I don't think we should be shutting down the criticism. It is what it is. You don't have to participate if you don't want to.
Maybe watch the movie prior to critical review....

The Ninja films of the 80s are good examples of enjoyment despite disbelief.

A guy with a sword, special shoes and some chinese stars taking on 20 to 30 men with machine guns.

Wildly entertaining

Reactions: bourbon n blues
I 100% agree.... Everyone craps on Top Gun.... when it came out 30 yrs ago... it was cool... Everyone wants to pick it apart.... Its a ****ing movie... a cool one at that.... Yes the flying is unrealistic. So what... its still cool. People lost their shit over Game of Thrones... it had dragons and witches and giants in it...or Lord of the Rings... Goblins and Elves.... People are so critical of everything.. It is a movie for entertainment. The best is Star Wars... people unload on the original.. but in 1977 when that Death Destroyer flies in the opening scene... it was the coolest shit ever and no one had ever observed it on screen.... the story is great.... fast forward 40 years and all people can do it shit on the movie... the writing...how bad it is... I dont see any of the dicks here making a movie... they are posting about the flight capabilities of an airplane in a movie and how it is impossible to occur.
I once read some online critique of Transformers. The critic wasn't happy with how unrealistic some minor parts of the movie were. If your gripes are about realism while watching a movie where the entire premise is based on gigantic, interplanetary, walking, talking robots that can transform into various vehicles, you're watching the wrong movie.

Thought the same when I saw it when it came out. Modern ‘dog fights’ are from 10-50 miles away. They never see each other.
The F-14 was released in 1974 and retired in 2006. Obviously it had been upgraded throughout its lifespan to include advanced electronics and armaments. It wouldn’t be considered modern today by any stretch iv the imagination. To say that they never saw each other in 1985 when TG was released is not entirely accurate. I would add that you can see a long distances in the air if your radar tells you which direction to look.

it's a good point. But I also watched 16 candles, which I very much enjoyed years ago. I had my 16 year old daughter watch it with me on family movie night. One of the original scenes is a couple of girls making fun of another girl for dating the black guys. I turned it off. Recently I’ve read some scathing attacks on the producer and Director for the racist views

so while there are some things that make you cringe, there are also things that are highly entertaining. Nothing is ever perfect and things change
True. 16 is quite a bundle. But they didn’t make a sequel. ;)

Let me know how soon you turn off Smokey and the Bandit. Lol.

Reactions: LionDeNittany

A guy with a sword, special shoes and some chinese stars taking on 20 to 30 men with machine guns.

Wildly entertaining
I didn’t believe that could happen either until I saw it in those movies. If I see those shoes coming I move to the other side of the street.

True. 16 is quite a bundle. But they didn’t make a sequel. ;)

Let me know how soon you turn off Smokey and the Bandit. Lol.
I do wonder if all of these car chase people realize that the cops gave your license number and can just come to your house and arrest you.

1THfNs.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Cowbell Man
I once read some online critique of Transformers. The critic wasn't happy with how unrealistic some minor parts of the movie were. If your gripes are about realism while watching a movie where the entire premise is based on gigantic, interplanetary, walking, talking robots that can transform into various vehicles, you're watching the wrong movie.
Watching Pixar’s Up in the theatre with my then 10 year old son. Midway thru he says to me loud enough for others to hear “this is totally unrealistic. It would take WAY more balloons to lift that house off the ground”.

I lean over, thinking I’m quiet but greeted by a chorus of laughs after saying “you do realize there’s a talking dog in this movie.”

I didn’t believe that could happen either until I saw it in those movies. If I see those shoes coming I move to the other side of the street.

There was a TV series which briefly ran called The Master. Well the master or the student... don't recall which, once stopped a car coming at him by throwing two chinese stars at it.
They each hit a front tire and those tires exploded.

The Master could also randomly disappear from anywhere by throwing a smoke ball at the ground.

LdN

There was a TV series which briefly ran called The Master. Well the master or the student... don't recall which, once stopped a car coming at him by throwing two chinese stars at it.
They each hit a front tire and those tires exploded.

The Master could also randomly disappear from anywhere by throwing a smoke ball at the ground.

LdN
200w.gif

Why all the hate for a stupid movie? I thought Titanic was great for an hour when it discussed the tech issues. Then it got awful following Leo and Kate and their ridiculous travels through the boat. My wife‘s opinion was the opposite.

Top Gun was never realistic as it was about the vibe about cowboys and awesome machines. People like to point out the Brokeback aspects but the volleyball and romance were added specifically for the women.

Sheesh. It is not as technically accurate as Airwolf where a helicopter outflies MiGs but who cares!

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I thought top gun was very good. Just not thrilled that they delayed 2 years to release the sequel. Money money money.

OMG, watch

• the bar pickup scene when they sing (horribly) the righteous brothers you've lost that lovin' feelin'
Bill Medley is still singing with The Righteous Brothers but he's lost it. The people in that bar pickup scene sounded better than Medley when we heard him 3 years ago.

Reactions: Obliviax
Bill Medley is still singing with The Righteous Brothers but he's lost it. The people in that bar pickup scene sounded better than Medley when we heard him 3 years ago.
And sounding bad was part of the Top Gun pilots schtick - cocky to the point of not caring what others thought of a bar performance.

I 100% agree.... Everyone craps on Top Gun.... when it came out 30 yrs ago... it was cool... Everyone wants to pick it apart.... Its a ****ing movie... a cool one at that.... Yes the flying is unrealistic. So what... its still cool. People lost their shit over Game of Thrones... it had dragons and witches and giants in it...or Lord of the Rings... Goblins and Elves.... People are so critical of everything.. It is a movie for entertainment. The best is Star Wars... people unload on the original.. but in 1977 when that Death Destroyer flies in the opening scene... it was the coolest shit ever and no one had ever observed it on screen.... the story is great.... fast forward 40 years and all people can do it shit on the movie... the writing...how bad it is... I dont see any of the dicks here making a movie... they are posting about the flight capabilities of an airplane in a movie and how it is impossible to occur.

Yep, it all about the time it was made/released. The next year they they released the hit movie Dirty Dancing. I think if I have the choice of re-watching Top Gun or Dirty Dancing, 10 out of 10 time I'm choosing Top Gun.

Wildly entertaining
Or Arnold in one of his movies. In the film where his daughter, Alyssa Milano was kidnapped, none of these mercenaries could shoot anywhere close to storm trooper levels.
However the lines were awesome .

Wildly entertaining
My brother in law was a Top Gun pilot when Top Gun was released . He and the guys loved the movie.
The bs parts are like those exaggerated stories all guys told .
Fwiw he said pilots were chick magnets and the kings were the Blue angels. Even the flight crews were doing well.
Imagine being a roadie for the Stones and you get it.
One of the Angels was filling around with Brazil’s top celebrity , the F1 racer who died in a crash later. Imagine the most famous rock star or athlete like say Springsteen or Tom Brady and their girlfriend was sneaking around on them?
Guess she felt the need for more speed?🤷‍♂️

My brother in law was a Top Gun pilot when Top Gun was released . He and the guys loved the movie.
The bs parts are like those exaggerated stories all guys told .
Fwiw he said pilots were chick magnets and the kings were the Blue angels. Even the flight crews were doing well.
Imagine being a roadie for the Stones and you get it.
One of the Angels was filling around with Brazil’s top celebrity , the F1 racer who died in a crash later. Imagine the most famous rock star or athlete like say Springsteen or Tom Brady and their girlfriend was sneaking around on them?
Guess she felt the need for more speed?🤷‍♂️

Ayrton Senna? The best F1 racer of all time?

I don't imagine he was concerned about anyone sneaking around on him.

But I get your point.

Or Arnold in one of his movies. In the film where his daughter, Alyssa Milano was kidnapped, none of these mercenaries could shoot anywhere close to storm trooper levels.
However the lines were awesome .
Never speak ill of mid-80's Arnold. He was at the peak of his powers. Starting in 1982 you had Conan I & II, Terminator, Red Sonja, Commando, Raw Deal, Predator and The Running Man ending in 1987.

Say what you want about the movies but that is a pretty decent 5 year run.

I watched the old movie and it may be the most cringe-worthy movie of all time. It's actually kind of hard to watch. But, the flight effects are pretty cool. This looks doable, to be honest, and would seem to be a movie that would be best seen in a big theater with world-class sound.

Worst scene in the movie is where Ice confronts Maverick in the locker room. Ice calks Maverick dangerous and then takes a hard bit after Maverick’s response. Second worst scene is volleyball ball game. Ugh! But the all flight scenes with F-14’s makes it a must watch movie. I hear the new move used some great camera work in cockpits and on planes. This is a must see in the movie theater. Thought about going to see it at IMAX. Think it would be as real as it gets.

By today’s definition every white male is a racist. Even Dave Chappelle is considered to be racist, misogynistic, homophob.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Never speak ill of mid-80's Arnold. He was at the peak of his powers. Starting in 1982 you had Conan I & II, Terminator, Red Sonja, Commando, Raw Deal, Predator and The Running Man ending in 1987.

Commando and Predator were peak Arnold. I remember seeing Predator in the movie theatre and coming out thinking it might have been the greatest movie I had seen in my life up until that date.

It was Commando lol! I was thinking any guy that hinted with me and his deer rifle up on some roof would’ve ended that movie 😂😂👍.

Worst scene in the movie is where Ice confronts Maverick in the locker room. Ice calks Maverick dangerous and then takes a hard bit after Maverick’s response. Second worst scene is volleyball ball game. Ugh! But the all flight scenes with F-14’s makes it a must watch movie. I hear the new move used some great camera work in cockpits and on planes. This is a must see in the movie theater. Thought about going to see it at IMAX. Think it would be as real as it gets.
It might have been the most unintentionally gay movie ever. Or maybe not unintentional?🤔

Definitely intentional.

Tom Cruise, by most accounts, is gay. So maybe was an inside joke.

LdN
i watched a youtube clip on the original also. appears after the movie was done, they wanted to appeal to women more so put in some more scenes with Kelly McGillis that were shot after the film was already complete. It is why she is wearing a hat in some scenes as she had cut her hair short already for a role she was playing in another film.

also talked how Cruise is short, only in the 5'6"-5'7" tall so the entire movie (like most of his movies) are all about figuring out ways to not have him look short. From always having him in front of people at angles, lift's in shoes, other actors slumping, etc...

Reactions: The Spin Meister
This movie is getting rage reviews, for the most part. I am sure the theaters are really excited as this is a movie that has to be seen in the theater and not at home (unless you have a world-class hookup).

Reactions: NedFromYork
This movie is getting rage reviews, for the most part. I am sure the theaters are really excited as this is a movie that has to be seen in the theater and not at home (unless you have a world-class hookup).

What's a rage review like? ;)

Is that like NJPSU posting his trolls?

i watched a youtube clip on the original also. appears after the movie was done, they wanted to appeal to women more so put in some more scenes with Kelly McGillis that were shot after the film was already complete. It is why she is wearing a hat in some scenes as she had cut her hair short already for a role she was playing in another film.

also talked how Cruise is short, only in the 5'6"-5'7" tall so the entire movie (like most of his movies) are all about figuring out ways to not have him look short. From always having him in front of people at angles, lift's in shoes, other actors slumping, etc...

Short men film well. Bigger head to body ratio. Match up better for closeups with women.

It's rare to have a film or TV star anywhere approaching 6 feet tall.

And the ones who are "tall" are depicted as giants.

LdN

I had an argument with a guy about Sicario. I loved the movie but he was hung up on the extraction scene in Mexico - “why didn’t they just fly helicopters in instead of risking a cartel ambush driving through Juarez.?” Me - because that whole scene with the column of Suburbans and Mexican federales on pickups with 50cals was so much cooler!

No more than 5 minutes later he was raving about the latest episode of Game of Thrones. Me, again, you’re talking about a show with ****ing dragons and walking dead!!!! What the ****

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT