ADVERTISEMENT

New Weight Class Proposal

Sean Harp

Dec 18, 2015
Alum Bank, PA
Given UWW's announcement of expanding to ten weight classes, I thought this might be a good opportunity to sync up Collegiate weights (folkstyle) with international freestyle.

At first, it appears a little top heavy; too many upper weights. Then I thought about the weight these guys walk around with naturally. That led me to propose this structure which, I believe, puts more emphasis on weight lifting (healthy) than weight cutting (unhealthy). Thoughts?
Folk Free Factor
125 57 6.95%
134 61
143 65
153 69
164 74
175 79
187 85
200 91
214 97
276 125

Ah I misread...

UWW hasn't announced the new weight classes, so making weight classes based upon pure speculation seems premature.

Also international wrestling is comprised of mostly grown men while NCAA wrestling is 18-22 year olds. Naturally international wrestlers will be bigger which is why those weight classes look top heavy.

My understanding was the goal for freestyle weights were 55 + 5kgs each weight class until you get to the heavier weights

Given UWW's announcement of expanding to ten weight classes, I thought this might be a good opportunity to sync up Collegiate weights (folkstyle) with international freestyle.

At first, it appears a little top heavy; too many upper weights. Then I thought about the weight these guys walk around with naturally. That led me to propose this structure which, I believe, puts more emphasis on weight lifting (healthy) than weight cutting (unhealthy). Thoughts?
Folk Free Factor
125 57 6.95%
134 61
143 65
153 69
164 74
175 79
187 85
200 91
214 97
276 125

Interesting concept. But, those weights probably wouldn't be popular in State College for a while...

Last edited:
Reactions: smealpsu2005
Just add a 220 class to current classes.

I completely agree that a 220lb weight class needs to be added. It's pretty ridiculous that college wrestling has not added this weight that high school has adopted for years now. Kids are bigger than they were 15-20 years ago, and the NCAA needs to make the adjustment. If you added this weight, you'd also have to look at the 9.9 scholarship restriction then. I'd be in favor of increasing this to 12; however, I doubt any of this happens. You have a better shot at changing the weights to the Freestyle limits and keeping the current scholarship limits.

#1 thing that needs to change is the out-of-bounds rules. Every single style of wrestling from youth up to college needs to adopt the freestyle out-of-bounds rules. 1pt needs to be awarded if you go out of bounds. It will change the style of Folkstyle wrestling forever and in the best way possible. No one wants to see a defensive wrestler.

I completely agree that a 220lb weight class needs to be added. It's pretty ridiculous that college wrestling has not added this weight that high school has adopted for years now. Kids are bigger than they were 15-20 years ago, and the NCAA needs to make the adjustment. If you added this weight, you'd also have to look at the 9.9 scholarship restriction then. I'd be in favor of increasing this to 12; however, I doubt any of this happens. You have a better shot at changing the weights to the Freestyle limits and keeping the current scholarship limits.

#1 thing that needs to change is the out-of-bounds rules. Every single style of wrestling from youth up to college needs to adopt the freestyle out-of-bounds rules. 1pt needs to be awarded if you go out of bounds. It will change the style of Folkstyle wrestling forever and in the best way possible. No one wants to see a defensive wrestler.

Amen on the out-of-bounds rule.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT