ADVERTISEMENT

Next up, Michigan! and a couple thoughts

Just another PSU Fan

Jan 25, 2013
I hope everyone had a chance to watch 10-12 hours worth of wrestling this past weekend like I did! It was glorious!

A few weeks back I posted about the 125lb weight class - let's take a quick look this morning! Appears that the horse race may be down to just 3! Suriano, Vito, Glory --- head-2-head, over the weekend, Glory beat up Courtney ... the right draw, Courtney is a HIGH AA ... not a finalist! Who's ready for Vito/Glory?!?

One quick thought on the PSU line-up! Brady Berge is a competitor! I must confess, I'm disappointed that he's at 165! I feel Edsell has been doing his part for the team and that 157 is a bigger hole that needs filled? Am I the only one?

Let's get back to the upcoming match with Michigan! I am excited for this match! 6pm on Friday night! WOW! Ranked wrestler after ranker wrestler on the list! How much hatred does Nicky Pushups have for Penn State? He's a brawler in the middle, Hildebrandt will have to fight to avoid being majored! Cam Amine hasn't participated in a few weeks for Michigan - does he come back against PSU? Hard to pick ONE match that I am looking forward to most? Lee/Micic? Starocci/Massa? Kerk/Parris? Just kidding! It's Brooks/Amine!!!! Olympic bronze medalist vs NCAA champ! That has my heart racing at 6am on a Monday! The right call, the wrong position, and Michigan can win this dual meet!!

Other thoughts that need to get out from between my ears! DeSanto was in street clothes on the bench. Shane Griffin, the 165lb returning NCAA champ is now wrestling 174. Fix pulling double duty on 2/12 for Ok St and Team USA! I will do a 1 month buy and cancel Flo just to watch that double header!

Reactions: Ski
I hope everyone had a chance to watch 10-12 hours worth of wrestling this past weekend like I did! It was glorious!

A few weeks back I posted about the 125lb weight class - let's take a quick look this morning! Appears that the horse race may be down to just 3! Suriano, Vito, Glory --- head-2-head, over the weekend, Glory beat up Courtney ... the right draw, Courtney is a HIGH AA ... not a finalist! Who's ready for Vito/Glory?!?

One quick thought on the PSU line-up! Brady Berge is a competitor! I must confess, I'm disappointed that he's at 165! I feel Edsell has been doing his part for the team and that 157 is a bigger hole that needs filled? Am I the only one?

Let's get back to the upcoming match with Michigan! I am excited for this match! 6pm on Friday night! WOW! Ranked wrestler after ranker wrestler on the list! How much hatred does Nicky Pushups have for Penn State? He's a brawler in the middle, Hildebrandt will have to fight to avoid being majored! Cam Amine hasn't participated in a few weeks for Michigan - does he come back against PSU? Hard to pick ONE match that I am looking forward to most? Lee/Micic? Starocci/Massa? Kerk/Parris? Just kidding! It's Brooks/Amine!!!! Olympic bronze medalist vs NCAA champ! That has my heart racing at 6am on a Monday! The right call, the wrong position, and Michigan can win this dual meet!!

Other thoughts that need to get out from between my ears! DeSanto was in street clothes on the bench. Shane Griffin, the 165lb returning NCAA champ is now wrestling 174. Fix pulling double duty on 2/12 for Ok St and Team USA! I will do a 1 month buy and cancel Flo just to watch that double header!
Hildebrandt looks rusty to me and not impressed with Bartlett. I think Michigan may be a better overall team than Iowa and they could beat us. Will be a great dual!

Is this a thing now? As of at least recent history, there was no monthly subscription option, just yearly.

2 things:

Berge may still go to 157. We don’t know what the coaches have in store, but it is still possible that 157 is the goal. NCAA descent plan rules prevent him from dropping too quickly. There is still time.

Griffin at 174 might have been a 1 time event just for that dual. We will see.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
125- Michigan 3
133- PSU 3
141- PSU 3
149- PSU 3
157- Michigan 3
165- PSU 3
174- PSU 3
184- PSU 3
197- PSU 3
285- Michigan 3
21-9 PSU over Michigan. Nicky push ups could get a MD and Michigan could win another weight and PSU would still win. Michigan could flip 4 of those weights, but PSU usually shows better than Michigan in big moments.

2 things:

Berge may still go to 157. We don’t know what the coaches have in store, but it is still possible that 157 is the goal. NCAA descent plan rules prevent him from dropping too quickly. There is still time.

Griffin at 174 might have been a 1 time event just for that dual. We will see.
Brady sure didnt look like a full size 65, anyone know what he weighed in at? Looked good tho nonetheless.

Reactions: GogglesPaizano
Brady sure didnt look like a full size 65, anyone know what he weighed in at? Looked good tho nonetheless.
That's the biggest I have ever seen him.
We (PSU) fans are hoping he is going 157 because right now that is our weakest weight, and 157 appears to have a path to more team points.
With that acknowledged, I doubt very much Cael sent an undersized Brady out at 165. Brady is our 165 pounder, and according to my eye test he looks large enough and healthy enough.

That's the biggest I have ever seen him.
We (PSU) fans are hoping he is going 157 because right now that is our weakest weight, and 157 appears to have a path to more team points.
With that acknowledged, I doubt very much Cael sent an undersized Brady out at 165. Brady is our 165 pounder, and according to my eye test he looks large enough and healthy enough.
He did look beefier to me. I, too, like a hypothetical path to points better at 157, all else being equal. But bottom line, he will maximize his potential at whatever weight he feels his best, both physically and mentally.

Just a heads up for everybody.
Expect the team to wrestle with energy and urgency Friday night.
Also, expect them to look rather sluggish on Sunday and try not to have the typical meltdown.
Just saying.
Looking sluggish on Sunday won't matter much against MSU. They have Foley at 133 and Caffey at 197 and not much else. They will probably win at 157 but even on a bad day we should win the other 9 weightx.

Reactions: hlstone
Looking sluggish on Sunday won't matter much against MSU. They have Foley at 133 and Caffey at 197 and not much else. They will probably win at 157 but even on a bad day we should win the other 9 weightx.
Yep.

Maybe Edsell and Beard can create a “recruited over” support group.

Is this a thing now? As of at least recent history, there was no monthly subscription option, just yearly.
I believe the same thing, though some have suggested getting the annual plan with monthly payment and use a prepaid card. I don’t know if that plan exists and if that works. Only have enough of the card to get through a month.

just checked, only option is upfront payment of $149 or eqivalent of about $12.50 a month, but it then does say cancel anytime, so not sure if you get a refund of the $12.50 times 11 months…

Last edited:
Or Berge can win a title at 165 and then we don't need to deal with 157 right. Cael has a plan
I’d be happy if Berge made the podium at 65, but as blue as my glasses are I just cant see him beating any of Marinelli, Hamiti, Griffith??, Karchla, O’Toole, Wick, Wittlake. You see something different?

I’d be happy if Berge made the podium at 65, but as blue as my glasses are I just cant see him beating any of Marinelli, Hamiti, Griffith??, Karchla, O’Toole, Wick, Wittlake. You see something different?

Personally, I think Berge's been the recipient of some piss-poor luck and I'm not sure we've ever seen what he can really do. I don't think there's any reason why a healthy Brady Berge with the right mindset can't beat any one of those guys on the right day. Could he beat several of them back to back? No, that would be a tough out for anyone (even Cenzo Joseph or someone like that), but yeah, I think he can make the podium at 165. Will he? That is the question, isn't it?

I doubt Bergy and Edsel wrestled off for the Rutgers dual.

I may be in the minority, but I think Cael just wanted to give him a live match to assess where he is. I believe he is on a decent to 157 and Edsel was just being a team player.

There is a good chance Negron won't even qualify for Nationals, and with the depth at 165, I think the only place Berge makes strategic sense is 157.

Then again if Brady doesn't want to drop it will be the best man up, and I don't see he and Edsel doing a wrestleoff until the end of the month.

Lets see if I can repeat my prediction performance from ASU:

125: Nick has looked tough so far this year. He has always been stingy with points and good in all 3 positions. I think he's been more aggressive this year than years past as well. Does he push for a major for the team, or does he just wrestle his match? I think it's the latter, and Drew is able to put on a good ride. 3-0 M

133: I've seen Ragusin look really good, and average. RBY has a way of making people look less than average. My only problem here is sometimes RBY goes out and tries to score 100 pts, and sometimes he doesn't. I think he's going to be pushing here since the team score could be close. RBY gets the major. 4-3 PSU

141: I think Micic at least majors anyone we have not named Lee, and that's being conservative. I'm taking the Lee will be back route. If Lee is healthy and no lingering sickness, he beats Micic. 7-3 PSU.

149: Not sure if Storr is done for the year or not. He hasn't wrestled since CKLV, but if he's going to come back before the post season, I could see it being for this dual. Using most recent information, I'm saying Mattin gets the call. I was right last time and I'm saying it again, with BB coming off a loss, he shows up and gets the win. 10-3 PSU.

157: Lewan will be a tough out for Tony, and after what I just witnessed, Lewan wins comfortably, but I don't think with bonus. 10-6 PSU

165: Another weight where I'm not quite sure who steps on the mat for Michigan or PSU for that matter. Amine hasn't gone since CKLV, but they need him here. If Amine goes, I'm saying he beats Brady this time around (hopefully the only time since I hope Brady is at 57). If Nolan goes, we get a win. I could see Edsell maybe going this time and Brady Sunday, or visa versa, but Brady needs matches so maybe not. Since I have to pick someone, I'm going with Nolan. 13-6 PSU.

174: Massa looked really tough against Smith, but I don't think he beats Starocci. 16-6 PSU

184: So many good matches, but this is the feature. After watching Brooks wrestle Poznanski, I think he's a step ahead of everyone else right now, and I there is no way I could pick against him. 19-6 PSU

197: Another good test for Dean. Brucki has lost twice this year, and mff twice at CKLV. His two losses are to Woodley and Buchanan, 4-2 and 2-1. He's coming off wins over Bonaccorsi, and Hoffman. He's putting together a good season, but I don't think he hits the trifecta. 22-9 PSU

285: Since 2020, Parris has beaten everyone not named Gable. He has 100% bonus on the year so far, but hasn't wrestled anyone in the top ten. Parris majored Kerk last year at BIGs, but Kerk is healthy this time around (knocks on wood). I don't think Kerk wins here, but I think it will be a much closer match than last time. 22-12 PSU.

I used Michigans line up they went with wrestling Ohio State. Amine could go at 65, and maybe someone has info on Storr, but since I haven't heard anything definitive, he could go at 49. Lee might not be back at 41, and I think Brady goes at 65, but could also see him and Edsell splitting time this weekend. If they're going to split time, I personally would wrestle Edsell against MSU, but who knows what the plan is.

This match can easily go the wrong direction for us. While I obviously don't think it will happen, it is realistic that the only match we win is 33. I know I'll probably get flack for that, but think about it. Is it completely out of the realm of possibility that Micic beats Lee, Mattin beats BB, Amine goes and beats Brady, Massa beats Carter, Amine beats Brooks, and Brucki beats Dean? Again, I don't think it will happen, but I still know it can.

You see something different?

You mean beyond Marinelli's annual March choke?

It's funny how people can argue that the 8 pounds between 157 and 165 is so huge..

When Anthony C or Greg K can give up 30 or 40...

Full disclosure: A former undersized HWT.....

Last edited:

It's funny how people can argue that the 8 pounds between 157 and 165 is so huge..

As a former undersized HWT, you probably then know HWT is a whole other ball of wax. 8 lbs can be a big deal at the other weights, and is virtually always a big deal at the lower weights.

Weight differential dictates style, and those who become accustomed to the difference earlier on in their careers are fine. But it is not an adjustment that cab be made on a dime.

I think Brady and Cael are aware of the competition at 157 vs 165. I think they also believe Brady can compete with anyone if he’s healthy (no halo headgear or knee wraps!?) and the “cut 8 more pounds (which may not be comfortable) because it’s “easier” to AA” isn’t something that crosses their mind really. We as fans can throw the towel in on Brady AAing if we want just because of the names there but I don’t imagine Cael and Brady got to where they have by thinking like that.

James English 2.0 time?

Lets see if I can repeat my prediction performance from ASU:

125: Nick has looked tough so far this year. He has always been stingy with points and good in all 3 positions. I think he's been more aggressive this year than years past as well. Does he push for a major for the team, or does he just wrestle his match? I think it's the latter, and Drew is able to put on a good ride. 3-0 M

133: I've seen Ragusin look really good, and average. RBY has a way of making people look less than average. My only problem here is sometimes RBY goes out and tries to score 100 pts, and sometimes he doesn't. I think he's going to be pushing here since the team score could be close. RBY gets the major. 4-3 PSU

141: I think Micic at least majors anyone we have not named Lee, and that's being conservative. I'm taking the Lee will be back route. If Lee is healthy and no lingering sickness, he beats Micic. 7-3 PSU.

149: Not sure if Storr is done for the year or not. He hasn't wrestled since CKLV, but if he's going to come back before the post season, I could see it being for this dual. Using most recent information, I'm saying Mattin gets the call. I was right last time and I'm saying it again, with BB coming off a loss, he shows up and gets the win. 10-3 PSU.

157: Lewan will be a tough out for Tony, and after what I just witnessed, Lewan wins comfortably, but I don't think with bonus. 10-6 PSU

165: Another weight where I'm not quite sure who steps on the mat for Michigan or PSU for that matter. Amine hasn't gone since CKLV, but they need him here. If Amine goes, I'm saying he beats Brady this time around (hopefully the only time since I hope Brady is at 57). If Nolan goes, we get a win. I could see Edsell maybe going this time and Brady Sunday, or visa versa, but Brady needs matches so maybe not. Since I have to pick someone, I'm going with Nolan. 13-6 PSU.

174: Massa looked really tough against Smith, but I don't think he beats Starocci. 16-6 PSU

184: So many good matches, but this is the feature. After watching Brooks wrestle Poznanski, I think he's a step ahead of everyone else right now, and I there is no way I could pick against him. 19-6 PSU

197: Another good test for Dean. Brucki has lost twice this year, and mff twice at CKLV. His two losses are to Woodley and Buchanan, 4-2 and 2-1. He's coming off wins over Bonaccorsi, and Hoffman. He's putting together a good season, but I don't think he hits the trifecta. 22-9 PSU

285: Since 2020, Parris has beaten everyone not named Gable. He has 100% bonus on the year so far, but hasn't wrestled anyone in the top ten. Parris majored Kerk last year at BIGs, but Kerk is healthy this time around (knocks on wood). I don't think Kerk wins here, but I think it will be a much closer match than last time. 22-12 PSU.

I used Michigans line up they went with wrestling Ohio State. Amine could go at 65, and maybe someone has info on Storr, but since I haven't heard anything definitive, he could go at 49. Lee might not be back at 41, and I think Brady goes at 65, but could also see him and Edsell splitting time this weekend. If they're going to split time, I personally would wrestle Edsell against MSU, but who knows what the plan is.

This match can easily go the wrong direction for us. While I obviously don't think it will happen, it is realistic that the only match we win is 33. I know I'll probably get flack for that, but think about it. Is it completely out of the realm of possibility that Micic beats Lee, Mattin beats BB, Amine goes and beats Brady, Massa beats Carter, Amine beats Brooks, and Brucki beats Dean? Again, I don't think it will happen, but I still know it can.
I really think that CStar is wrestling at a top notch level this year with the Natty in his back pocket. I just don't see Massa or anyone at 74 beating him.

Maybe Schriever and Swafford can start a "burn victim's" support group.
Shriever has a good thing going. And Swafford wasn’t displaced and is traveling with the team.

Bubba Jenkins is going to see Beard and Edsell at the National Tourney support meeting. He thinks his decade of reflection will be helpful.

Reactions: 82bordeaux

Confused. You're picking Nolan (UM) at 165, but giving 3 points to PSU?

I believe the same thing, though some have suggested getting the annual plan with monthly payment and use a prepaid card. I don’t know if that plan exists and if that works. Only have enough of the card to get through a month.

just checked, only option is upfront payment of $149 or eqivalent of about $12.50 a month, but it then does say cancel anytime, so not sure if you get a refund of the $12.50 times 11 months…
  1. go to www.flomarching.com in a private tab or a “clean” browser (no cookies etc)
  2. click subscribe
  3. create an account with an email Flo doesn’t know you through.
  4. choose the monthly plan
  5. use your new account to access flowrestling.com

It's not about the 8 pounds.

I don't want to speak for others, but from what I'm reading fans think Brady at 157 gives us NQ at every weight. With Brady and Edsell at the same weight that doesn't appear to be the case right now.

...so, is Negron the horse we ride with? Or does Barraclaugh or Lee get a shot? Tony is a great kid who wrestles hard but he isn't qualifying for Nationals.

It's not about the 8 pounds.

I don't want to speak for others, but from what I'm reading fans think Brady at 157 gives us NQ at every weight. With Brady and Edsell at the same weight that doesn't appear to be the case right now.
Except Cael Said Brady is 65 and that's that.

I really think that CStar is wrestling at a top notch level this year with the Natty in his back pocket. I just don't see Massa or anyone at 74 beating him.
I think he is still prone to some mental lapse, so not quite as automatic as Zain, Ruth, Nolf, etc., but the trajectory is looking really good in that regard. I think he is in a really good place right now and will be nails when all the chips are on the table.

Let's hope all the starters, both teams, go Friday evening. If so, it will surely be the best dual game of the year so far (10..9..8..7..6..5.....). Cornell was close, but a couple PSU starters were missing. We are leaving Friday morning, and actually looking forward to both duals. Michigan State could give evidence of the team's energy level after a tough Friday night, though don't look for anything like what we'll see at NCAA's. Too early for that.

Reactions: hlstone
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT