ADVERTISEMENT

Next up Ohio State: most intriguing matchup…

NittanyChris

Dec 3, 2001
A lot of potentially exciting bouts this week including SVN-Sasso, RBY-Mendez, Beau-D’Emilo, Dean-Hoffman, Brooks-Romero and more.

The one I’m most excited to see is Facundo-Kharchla. Really curious to see how Alex responds after his loss v Kennedy. Kharchla is a strong kid with some big wins in the past, but also has some real holes in his skillset. I think Alex will be a bit more aggressive on offense, scoring on a duck or ankle pick to win by 1 or 2. What do others think? Predictions? How will the match go?

WE ARE!!!

SVN-Sasso will be fun as Sammy will dive into legs and we should expect to see some good 'funk'. I am interested in how Mendez competes against RBY. He has looked really strong for a freshman. BB will come down to the 3rd period; Dean/Brooks won't have issues. As mentioned it will be good to see how Alex responds. Should be another fun Friday!!

Mendez looks (as expected), like the real deal. Between he and Bouzakis, I think Mendez was the one that got away, when Cael made some cryptic comments about NIL a couple of years ago. He would have been the perfect heir apparent fit after RBY at 133, bummer.

I think RBY might get a bit of a surprise in terms of how far along he is as a freshman, and a couple of point decision won't surprise me in the slightest.

Reactions: fronk71
Looking for to this match … a lot of good matchups …. away match, in a hostile arena,…. against a team that feels like they should compete with us, so a chance to establish themselves…... with some memories of things that got away from them , so maybe some ‘payback’ in their thinking … plus I’m thinking .. just maybe … we’re gonna see a different style of wrestling from last Friday … so thinking it’s gonna be an exciting match. I’m seeing 18 - 12 Penn State.

Reactions: LongJakk
I would be fine never watching a Sasso match ever again. Seems like a good kid, just whatever that is he does out there is boring to the core.

Reactions: royboy
I would be fine never watching a Sasso match ever again. Seems like a good kid, just whatever that is he does out there is boring to the core.
Agreed on Sasso .. should be interesting to see how VanNess responds this week. Just an FYI…I wasn’t one booing Spencer .. don’t boo any wrestlers for other teams. Curious if you or anyone knows what the dust up with Warner and Brands was after his match.. was it because he had Jacob go ‘down’ in the 3rd period?

Sasso has 9 Pins, 6 Tech Falls, and 5 Major Decisions. That’s bonus he’s scored in 21 matches already this year. You should check him out this year if ya can. He is actually taking guys down OFF HIS OWN ATTACKS. I know how that sounds, and I wouldn’t believe me either. He’s no longer initiating his offense only if his opponent starts off on him with a single leg.

Looking for to this match … a lot of good matchups …. away match, in a hostile arena,…. against a team that feels like they should compete with us, so a chance to establish themselves…... with some memories of things that got away from them , so maybe some ‘payback’ in their thinking … plus I’m thinking .. just maybe … we’re gonna see a different style of wrestling from last Friday … so thinking it’s gonna be an exciting match. I’m seeing 18 - 12 Penn State.

Noboby gets bonus?

Carter might bonus Smith.

Heinselman might be able to major Steen.

Kerk gets at least a major.

Sasso has 9 Pins, 6 Tech Falls, and 5 Major Decisions. That’s bonus he’s scored in 21 matches already this year. You should check him out this year if ya can. He is actually taking guys down OFF HIS OWN ATTACKS. I know how that sounds, and I wouldn’t believe me either. He’s no longer initiating his offense only if his opponent starts off on him with a single leg.
This board knows I liked Sasso since his junior year in high school. I had hoped he would go to Penn State. Without discussing anymore about his recruitment. I can tell you what you are seeing this year from him is what I expected from him after his freshman year in college.
If he would of went to Penn State he would have been very dynamic on offense. I'm glad he's opened up on offense. He's a local kid and an Academic All American. Good for him.

Finally returning to his roots.

Reactions: Callthestall
RBY - Mendez and Facundo - Kharchla are the two I want to see. Mendez has looked spectacular in the matches I’ve seen. He looks like the real deal, and I wouldn’t be surprised if he gives RBY a run for his money.
What exactly is a run for his money, 10 - 3, 6 - 2 or 5 - 3? It's like any other match against guys like RBY. If Mendez comes out to test himself by actually wrestling to win, RBY wins going away. If Mendez is going to wrestle not to lose he can keep it to 8 - 3 or something similar.

RBY - Mendez and Facundo - Kharchla are the two I want to see. Mendez has looked spectacular in the matches I’ve seen. He looks like the real deal, and I wouldn’t be surprised if he gives RBY a run for his money.
He could pull an upset unless RBY let's it fly. Mendez is no joke and he's slick as shit

Reactions: Random4598375
What exactly is a run for his money, 10 - 3, 6 - 2 or 5 - 3? It's like any other match against guys like RBY. If Mendez comes out to test himself by actually wrestling to win, RBY wins going away. If Mendez is going to wrestle not to lose he can keep it to 8 - 3 or something similar.
Run for his money means like 5–4 or even SV.

Run for his money means like 5–4 or even SV.
I would be super surprised. Mendez is definitely the real deal but RBY is on another level at this point. Hell, he’s going for his 3rd national title. Some guys wrestle RBY somewhat close because they don’t take chances and slow the match down. One thing I really like about Mendez is that he comes after everyone. I think he will attack but against RBY with his speed and re-attacks that plays right into his strengths. I think RBY wins by 5 or 6

Mendez isn’t threatening RBY. RBY is better than and faster at everything Mendez is good at

What I would like to see is Alex and Shane not being content to lose close . I don’t care if they lose, but I would like to see both of these guys get after it against good opponents.

I see tOSU with 3 wins at 125, 149 and 165. The rest is chalk for PSU. Hoping Im wrong at 149 and 165. But just haven’t seen these two go after it against high quality opponents.

Reactions: RandyL
If the kids from 41-65 dont trust their offence and try to score i can see ohio state taking all and 25 at bonus

Bartlett needs to show he can AA with a win, SVN is going to have to be crisp with finishes if he shoots, haines is going to need to get to his dbl and facundo needs to shoot he’ll be in another push club fest with an even bigger 65 lber.

I love riding time and hard ride outs. But after last week any matchup not involving these things will be welcome….even if they result in an L for the PSU guy.

Reactions: Fatmarc
Mendez isn’t threatening RBY. RBY is better than and faster at everything Mendez is good at

What I would like to see is Alex and Shane not being content to lose close . I don’t care if they lose, but I would like to see both of these guys get after it against good opponents.

I see tOSU with 3 wins at 125, 149 and 165. The rest is chalk for PSU. Hoping Im wrong at 149 and 165. But just haven’t seen these two go after it against high quality opponents.
This^^^^. A little disappointed with SVN, as coming out of HS I thought he jump right in and be dominate. He won't beat Sasso. I'm not even sure about 141 being PSU, as Bartlett has not exactly looked lights out.

This^^^^. A little disappointed with SVN, as coming out of HS I thought he jump right in and be dominate. He won't beat Sasso. I'm not even sure about 141 being PSU, as Bartlett has not exactly looked lights out.
Bartlett had a tough match vs Woods, but he’s not losing to D’Emilio. Book it.

Same. I didn't think his lack of a true penetration step shot would hurt him so much.

Reactions: wrestlingmind
Bartlett had a tough match vs Woods, but he’s not losing to D’Emilio. Book it.
Bartlett should win, absolutely. However we all know he can 'manage' any competitive match to a loss, hence the problem. When and if it clicks with him and he wrestles to score more points than the competition in all three periods respectively, he might start to dominate. By the time he gets his first TD in most matches Zain, Nolf, Bo, Nick... all had a half dozen. Not a fair compare for sure.

As discussed, short of RBY and Kerk, the mentally we all enjoyed and have unfairly come to expect, where our best aren't satisfied with only with wins, has somewhat been lost with this squad. I am sure it is driving Cael nuts, and he is working to remedy.

I think this fan base has gotten way too spoiled and lost its touch with reality a bit. This team is incredible and might go down as one of the best ever even if they aren’t all putting up major points every match. The guys who aren’t showing a ton of offense regularly are all freshmen or sophomores and still are ranked in the top 15 with wins against past AA’s. SVN lost an entire year last year which is a crucial time for development. We all wish we were watching guys like Ruth, DT, Nolf, Nickal, and Zain where they were bonusing in over 80% of their matches but we need to realize that those guys weren’t just great but that they are all time great. Any other fan base would kill to have the “problems” that this PSU team is facing. I expect that our champs will continue winning every time out but maybe not with as much bonus as our last group of champions and that our freshman and youngsters will continue to be in a lot of tight matches but also improve every single match and come March those young guys are going to be right there to AA while PSU runs away with another team title. Sit back and enjoy just how special it is to be a PSU wrestling fan right now

Bartlett should win, absolutely. However we all know he can 'manage' any competitive match to a loss, hence the problem. When and if it clicks with him and he wrestles to score more points than the competition in all three periods respectively, he might start to dominate. By the time he gets his first TD in most matches Zain, Nolf, Bo, Nick... all had a half dozen. Not a fair compare for sure.

As discussed, short of RBY and Kerk, the mentally we all enjoyed and have unfairly come to expect, where our best aren't satisfied with only with wins, has somewhat been lost with this squad. I am sure it is driving Cael nuts, and he is working to remedy.
And this is what makes college recruiting so difficult. SVN and Bartlett coming out of HS were basically locks to be dominate in college, but yet that has not been the case (yet). I think SVN deserves a little more time since this is his first year on the mat, but Bartlett has been a slight disappointment thus far.

This is why when this board only is chasing the HS Blue-Chippers to sign with PSU, I find it funny--because coming from a recruiting background, there is SO many other factors to consider.

Reactions: jayridescarbon
And this is what makes college recruiting so difficult. SVN and Bartlett coming out of HS were basically locks to be dominate in college, but yet that has not been the case (yet). I think SVN deserves a little more time since this is his first year on the mat, but Bartlett has been a slight disappointment thus far.

This is why when this board only is chasing the HS Blue-Chippers to sign with PSU, I find it funny--because coming from a recruiting background, there is SO many other factors to consider.
And yet all of our great’s during the Cael era have been blue chippers. Ruth, DT, Zain, Nolf, Nickal, Hall, Cenzo, Lee, AB, RBY, and Starocci are all blue chip recruits and were the driving force behind team titles as well as winning multiple individual titles. Obviously some guys like Cassar really improve in college and pass their ranking and some blue chippers don’t meet expectation but it’s proven that to win consistently getting the top kids is how you do it. PSU has consistently gotten top recruits and just as consistently turned them into champions. I think it’s funny you for some reason don’t think we should be chasing those kids

Last edited:
I think this fan base has gotten way too spoiled and lost its touch with reality a bit. This team is incredible and might go down as one of the best ever even if they aren’t all putting up major points every match. The guys who aren’t showing a ton of offense regularly are all freshmen or sophomores and still are ranked in the top 15 with wins against past AA’s. SVN lost an entire year last year which is a crucial time for development. We all wish we were watching guys like Ruth, DT, Nolf, Nickal, and Zain where they were bonusing in over 80% of their matches but we need to realize that those guys weren’t just great but that they are all time great. Any other fan base would kill to have the “problems” that this PSU team is facing. I expect that our champs will continue winning every time out but maybe not with as much bonus as our last group of champions and that our freshman and youngsters will continue to be in a lot of tight matches but also improve every single match and come March those young guys are going to be right there to AA while PSU runs away with another team title. Sit back and enjoy just how special it is to be a PSU wrestling fan right now
Bravo zzs, well stated.

ADVERTISEMENT