ADVERTISEMENT

NHSCA Duals - Escape the Rock - 145(+3)

i would have been in, Rich but it's a little late to start my cut.
Can I pencil you in for Bison in July, PBurg in August, Waterway in September, and Columbus Day in October, then?

I guess we'll finally find out what the penalty is for sucking down a bud heavy during injury time.

beer drink up GIF by THE WRESTLERS

Last edited:
Some of my favorite matches

Seidel over Chris Vargo. Not sure why or how Vargo made 120. (Seidel and Dillard were both wrestling 113-120) He went 0-4 on the day and most likely questioned that decision too. Bodie Morgan over Adam Waters. This is the difference in AA Vs AAA. Waters lost to a monster in the semis. This kid was built like a Greek god. The Deputy kid which is a new m2 kid, lost one early
Today and bounced back. I saw his pops giving it to him. Then he wrestled lights out. Manville barely beat Hontz. Great match. Tahir Parkins beat prep Champion Mat Oneil. I was surprised at this one. Dillard beat Bainey in a really
Low scoring match. His dad wasn’t happy and then his team only got six matches. All that travel and money for most teams to get only six matches. I don’t blame him. Brandt Harer only
Got four matches. He destroyed everyone. Connor did the same and it was nice seeing him at 160. One of the best matches of the weekend was him Vs Frontino. Connor won 3-2. Again hate to say it AAA kids are tough and gritty. Jace rollers scramble vs the kid in the finals was great. The kong coaches were nuts all weekend after that, it was something from a movie. Definitely not a fan of the way they acted. Botero was close to knocking off Beric Jordan. He was a strong looking 120. Gage crushed everyone else.

I can’t think of any more pa kids. I am sure I will think of more on this ride home. 5 hours left

Bodie Morgan over Adam Waters. This is the difference in AA Vs AAA.
There has to be something much more to this than AA vs AAA. I've never heard of Morgan (not that this matters) and had to look him up -- he's a JR (2024), 3-yr starter who has never qualified for states, best finish is regional 6th.

And the AAA factor didn't matter when Waters beat Wheatley and Sadriddinov this year.

So it's gotta be something else.

Reactions: Wilco43 and hlstone

Seidel over Chris Vargo. Not sure why or how Vargo made 120. (Seidel and Dillard were both wrestling 113-120) He went 0-4 on the day and most likely questioned that decision too. Bodie Morgan over Adam Waters. This is the difference in AA Vs AAA. Waters lost to a monster in the semis. This kid was built like a Greek god. The Deputy kid which is a new m2 kid, lost one early
Today and bounced back. I saw his pops giving it to him. Then he wrestled lights out. Manville barely beat Hontz. Great match. Tahir Parkins beat prep Champion Mat Oneil. I was surprised at this one. Dillard beat Bainey in a really
Low scoring match. His dad wasn’t happy and then his team only got six matches. All that travel and money for most teams to get only six matches. I don’t blame him. Brandt Harer only
Got four matches. He destroyed everyone. Connor did the same and it was nice seeing him at 160. One of the best matches of the weekend was him Vs Frontino. Connor won 3-2. Again hate to say it AAA kids are tough and gritty. Jace rollers scramble vs the kid in the finals was great. The kong coaches were nuts all weekend after that, it was something from a movie. Definitely not a fan of the way they acted. Botero was close to knocking off Beric Jordan. He was a strong looking 120. Gage crushed everyone else.

I can’t think of any more pa kids. I am sure I will think of more on this ride home. 5 hours left
The "greek god" are you referring to Gage Wright? He wrestles HS in W.Va committed to V. Tech. Ranked higher then Waters I think.

Reactions: Love the lions
How freaking big was that kid. Someone told me he wrestled and has Welsh on the ropes in the season. Not sure where or when. I assumed super 32

The Kong coaches are complete clowns.

There are very few conclusions you can draw from matchups at this event - which by the way is a great event and one of my favorites of the year. A couple of points:
  • Consider where it is on the schedule - after Fargo qualification for some, before you are heading to camps for FS duals or Fargo - this event is kind of a "fun break" for many. I've seen a lot of really good kids have what normally would be head-scratching performances down here. You always want to see kids compete hard when they are on the mat, but for a lot of coaches (and parents) this event is sold as a fun event to build camaraderie - you can't have it both ways when one of your guys takes you up on that - I sure had one (or two) do that this weekend. When you have a kid wrestling with a chip on his shoulder going up against a "target" who is not super focused funny things happen.
  • Short periods - they are good for the offseason, but it's easier to upset a good kid in 4.5 minutes than it is in 6 minutes. I'll throw in officiating here. No disrespect against NHSCA, but getting 100s of really good officials together for an event is impossible. They are also pulling many from states where refs are not used to seeing elite wrestling regularly. One bad call can make a big impact in a 4.5-minute match.
  • You can weigh in the day before - our team weighed in 27 hours before they competed. This can lead to matchups between kids a couple of weight classes apart due to one kid competing at walking around weight, while another kid is cutting a ton of weight without having to pay the price on the mat - as an aside to this any coaches or parents who are asking kids to pull weight for an event like this need their head examined.
You bring up the Marlow-Waters result - the only thing I would take away from a match like this is that Marlow has some talent (which he has already shown he has in his career). You can't ding Waters here and you sure can't count on the result being anywhere close to this when it really matters.

Last edited:
These are great points and I agree. Waters is a great wrestling and not scared to put it on the line. One of the reasons he keeps getting better and better

I was coaching a MS team and all I can say is damn the future is bright. We took a really solid line up down and didnt make it to Monday. We only took kids from our club, so I guess that kinda put us at a disadvantage.

The main thing I noticed is that kids are either 18 in MS or the steroids in the chicken are giving 14 year olds a 5 O'Clock shadow.

The Kong coaches are complete clowns.
Unfortunately, across all of HS.MS. and Elem, most of the really good national teams coaches are clowns. Was an awesome tournament though. Yes the six matches are a bit low, but for the Elem kids I think it worked out. We were there with just our local club team. No-one wrestled for us that doesn't practice every week together. So 6 matches is plenty when you are getting your head beat in....lol.

• Haha
Reactions: vhsalum and hlstone

Why do you continue to comment on how the dads act? You just said that about Sipes a week or two ago, and now you are seemingly continuing your dad-peeping to Deputy. Its weird. Anyhow, one singular result does not mean there is a disparity between AAA and AA. I would bet that Waters would handle Morgan in an in-season match, without much issue. You are weighing the result of a beach tournament in May, like it is Regionals or State finals. Most kids kinda check out at this time, before buckling down for Fargo, or S32 prep. Not sure why Tahir beating Nick is suprising to you? Both are super high-quality kids wrestling a match in May, so either can/could win.

Unfortunately, across all of HS.MS. and Elem, most of the really good national teams coaches are clowns. Was an awesome tournament though. Yes the six matches are a bit low, but for the Elem kids I think it worked out. We were there with just our local club team. No-one wrestled for us that doesn't practice every week together. So 6 matches is plenty when you are getting your head beat in....lol.
This statement is very true. Most of the national coaches are. Six matches is more than plenty for elem but that is a pile of money to spend. Wonder if they changed it to Freestyle if it would hurt or help the event.

I'm ok with Kong, and any other all star team. It's an all star event. I think they should get more matches for everybody though.

But the Kong COACHES? you'd think they were winning NCAAs, with guys they developed, who were the underdogs in every match. It's just completely ridiculous. They have absolutely nothing invested, did no work and "act" like they coach. I'd be ok with them if they were made to wear muzzles.

It was sickening. They don’t even know most of the kids last names on their team. Most of the gold bracket was like that.

Reactions: vhsalum
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT