ADVERTISEMENT

NIL above board model?

GogglesPaizano

Feb 6, 2018
If you have a rokfin subscription take a listen to Willie's NIL talk two podcasts back. It's pretty good and it illustrates Cael's integrity once again since he won't discuss NIL with any new recruits, even though it's proving that we may lose some in the process.

My presumption is what's to stop a booster, or opportunist, or buisinessman from renting a storefront in State college and putting an "Lion NIL Agency" sign in the front window and invite in recruits for any sport of note. As these recruits visit State college the booster or an agent has the discussion with them and in no way is it attached directly to the program's or the coaches.

They can discuss contracts guarantees whatever and they take 10% like a normal agent would. Then local companies in boosters will have a central 'fully legal' clearing house so to speak of where they can offer up their 'opportunities' and get connected to the right athletes. Within a short period of time, recruits would know exactly where to go to discuss NIL at any particular college.

I could see these popping up all over the country in every major college town. We have some attorneys on the board, let's set up a franchise.

Last edited:
These kids are smarter than that. Any “association” they have now typically results in a long term agreement on future earnings. The reality is after 4 months on the books, the bark has no bite behind. It’s basically a summer job for most of the kids. The big deals are very few and far between. Don’t get caught up in the hype. NIL opportunities to recruits with unknown potential will be laced with performance clauses.

My daughter works for a PR firm in Chicago. She works mainly with influencers. I spoke to her about NIL deals and certain wrestlers i.e. RBY 148K Instagram followers and DT 350K followers.

She said:

1. They are still small potatoes as far as followers
2. They are not a hugely desirable demographic use on National campaigns.

The more desirable athletes are the ones that blend their athletic careers with lifestyle followers (i.e. very good looking doing cool things with cool stuff/clothing/make-up/etc...

These wrestlers are not printing money.

Reactions: Dogwelder
My daughter works for a PR firm in Chicago. She works mainly with influencers. I spoke to her about NIL deals and certain wrestlers i.e. RBY 148K Instagram followers and DT 350K followers.

She said:

The more desirable athletes are the ones that blend their athletic careers with lifestyle followers (i.e. very good looking doing cool things with cool stuff/clothing/make-up/etc...

At least in the context of what Willie & Corby were talking about a couple of weeks ago, the market alone may not be there; but that’s not to say that boosters aren’t using this opportunity to encourage commitments to their alma mater.

At least in the context of what Willie & Corby were talking about a couple of weeks ago, the market alone may not be there; but that’s not to say that boosters aren’t using this opportunity to encourage commitments to their alma mater.
That definitely will be happening. Athletes being paid above market rates by car dealer jock sniffers will be all the rage.

Willie seemed to indicate several things:

1) Both Cael and Tom Brands will not talk NIL to recruits.

2) The recruits are asking

3) Cael has already missed out on several recruits he targeted, presumably because of NIL.

This could be Suriano, but he has other money problems. It could also be Buzakis and/or Mendez. We certainly heard of Mendez getting that outrageous offer earlier.

The main point being Cael is taking the high road, and if other institutions are integrating NIL into their recruiting message, this places the above board programs at a disadvantage.

I can see 16-18 year olds more enamored with the money than the program.

The only effective counter is an easy to access NIL channel for programs like PSU and Iowa where the program's can remain at an arms length away.

Wether it be football or wrestling, an NIL broker in State college could pretty easily properly 'value' recruits without program involvement. The kids wouldn't be targeted by the team if they weren't in town on a visit. Their ranking PBP, 4-5 star rating, and social media scores, are all readily available, and the team's needs are generally obvious as well.

I am sure boosters and sponsors would only sign contacts with both moral and performance clauses to protect their investment.

Don't get me wrong. I bleed blue and white, but even if I were wealthy, short of needing additional tax deductions, I don't get the concept of shelling out big dollars to any highschool recruit. I would much rather gift money for facilities or the NLWC and let them choose how to spend it.

She said:

You trying to tell me Roman Bravo Young aint getting rich reppin’ Wings Over? OVER WHAT?

Who’s doing the math on optimizing payments via NIL compared to facilities investments and more importantly endowing coaching positions? NIL seems like it’s very direct and quick but what we observe is that the buyer/seller relationship is essentially flipped where the top coaches are involved - wrestlers become the sellers, not the coaches, meaning an investment in coaches has a role here.

Reactions: nerfstate
I could be wrong but I'd tend to think Columbus is going to have more and bigger businesses than small town State College, with fewer opportunities being in State College going to football, etc first before wrestling. Columbus seems to be set up for the perfect storm to benefit them.

I could be wrong but I'd tend to think Columbus is going to have more and bigger businesses than small town State College, with fewer opportunities being in State College going to football, etc first before wrestling. Columbus seems to be set up for the perfect storm to benefit them.
Only for those with misdirected focus. It's still about success on the mat, and those that take their eye off the prize will more-than-likely waste their potential. Success-first, then a few bucks (for wrestlers) using the new NIL rules is the only route that works, imo. Money-first, then success is a recipe for disaster. Plus, I'm concerned about where academics fits into the picture.

I know some 18 year olds that are pretty worldly, but most need the adults (parents, etc.) in their lives to give them solid direction. <--- After typing this I realize some adults are not capable of giving solid advice.

Finally! An above-board model thread!

beautiful-model-surfboard-21208870.jpg

I hope these guys with real NIL money are paying a competent accountant to advise them; if they get any need-based scholarship money, that might go out the door if that NIL income is too high.

It would be really crappy to get a $5k endorsement, then lose a $10k/year scholarship because of it.

Willie seemed to indicate several things:

1) Both Cael and Tom Brands will not talk NIL to recruits.

2) The recruits are asking

3) Cael has already missed out on several recruits he targeted, presumably because of NIL.

This could be Suriano, but he has other money problems. It could also be Buzakis and/or Mendez. We certainly heard of Mendez getting that outrageous offer earlier.

The main point being Cael is taking the high road, and if other institutions are integrating NIL into their recruiting message, this places the above board programs at a disadvantage.

I can see 16-18 year olds more enamored with the money than the program.

The only effective counter is an easy to access NIL channel for programs like PSU and Iowa where the program's can remain at an arms length away.

Wether it be football or wrestling, an NIL broker in State college could pretty easily properly 'value' recruits without program involvement. The kids wouldn't be targeted by the team if they weren't in town on a visit. Their ranking PBP, 4-5 star rating, and social media scores, are all readily available, and the team's needs are generally obvious as well.

I am sure boosters and sponsors would only sign contacts with both moral and performance clauses to protect their investment.

Don't get me wrong. I bleed blue and white, but even if I were wealthy, short of needing additional tax deductions, I don't get the concept of shelling out big dollars to any highschool recruit. I would much rather gift money for facilities or the NLWC and let them choose how to spend it.
WHY EXEACTLY DID CAEL MISS RECRUITS DONT TALK CRAP BE MORE SPECIFIC!IF ITS ABOUT MONEY THEN GOOD RIDDANCE!

WHY EXEACTLY DID CAEL MISS RECRUITS DONT TALK CRAP BE MORE SPECIFIC!IF ITS ABOUT MONEY THEN GOOD RIDDANCE!

Why don't you ask Willie he spent a whole segment on it, and made the Cael / Tom observation.

Pay your $9, take a listen.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT